Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a bunch of hacked up scripts to push poo poo into s3

or you could just use s3_website rather than reinventing the wheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i had to maintain a cold fusion 4.5 app at my last job.

in 2015

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i interviewed two comp sci students yesterday and both were doing projects using php. one was going to build a backend server in php and mysql. Wtf are they teaching kids these days.

Harvards CS50 is c and php and mysql.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
And javascript.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

i interviewed two comp sci students yesterday and both were doing projects using php. one was going to build a backend server in php and mysql. Wtf are they teaching kids these days.

p-langs. its awful

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

seriously, one was using Matlab as well, i had to use that when i was a terrible engineering student and that is guaranteed to create terrible programmers.

also i asked one what languages he preferred and he said "i prefer c to python because of typing, but I'm not sure if that's why i like it or just because it's what I've done before". i mean, i am an idiot and not even a proper programmer but jfc even when i was that age i had arbitrarily strong opinions about languages (i.e. java sucks). Step up your game students of today, at least claim to be into haskell or some other hot poo poo so i can pretend to be impressed.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

seriously, one was using Matlab as well, i had to use that when i was a terrible engineering student and that is guaranteed to create terrible programmers.

also i asked one what languages he preferred and he said "i prefer c to python because of typing, but I'm not sure if that's why i like it or just because it's what I've done before". i mean, i am an idiot and not even a proper programmer but jfc even when i was that age i had arbitrarily strong opinions about languages (i.e. java sucks). Step up your game students of today, at least claim to be into haskell or some other hot poo poo so i can pretend to be impressed.

c is impressive to people who think javascript is the norm

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c is good

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
c the language is not difficult but i think c the ecosystem is a totally different matter

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I guess my problem with C is that I wouldn't trust myself not to make some fatal mistake in there that could severely blow up and then I'd never understand why or how it happens

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MononcQc posted:

I guess my problem with C is that I wouldn't trust myself not to make some fatal mistake in there that could severely blow up and then I'd never understand why or how it happens

That's what makes it fun :unsmigghh:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

MononcQc posted:

this is the impression i get from c++

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

redleader posted:

this is the impression i get from c++

I always feel as though I should be using a static analysis tool when I'm writing C++. Maybe I'll have to try out the clang one later.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

VikingofRock posted:

I always feel as though I should be using a static analysis tool when I'm writing C++. Maybe I'll have to try out the clang one later.

someone at apple who works on the clang analyzer told me that it sucks for c++

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Brain Candy posted:

CVS could do this, unless your vcs is .bak files you too have these powers

you'd be surprised how many peoples' VCS is a git repo in a shared folder on Dropbox that everybody works from, like, not even doing a git clone first

the previous iteration of this antipattern were teams that used SourceSafe but did the checkout to a shared folder on a server

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
there should be a blogging system written in {Haskell,C++ template metaprogramming} that appears dynamic but has everything resolved in the type system such that it compiles to a static site

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

"computer" "science"

name and shame their schools

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

eschaton posted:

there should be a blogging system written in {Haskell,C++ template metaprogramming} that appears dynamic but has everything resolved in the type system such that it compiles to a static site

the most wanky of all POCs

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

b0lt posted:

someone at apple who works on the clang analyzer told me that it sucks for c++

Well great, now which one should I use?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

eschaton posted:

you'd be surprised how many peoples' VCS is a git repo in a shared folder on Dropbox that everybody works from, like, not even doing a git clone first

the previous iteration of this antipattern were teams that used SourceSafe but did the checkout to a shared folder on a server

i would be interested in trying a source control system or plugin that would automatically give you other people's changes as they get checked in

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

VikingofRock posted:

Well great, now which one should I use?

i hear that microsoft's static analysis is actually really good, too bad their frontend is garbage and also lol development on windows

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

MononcQc posted:

People who don't feel the same way are just posturing.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

eschaton posted:

You don't really need that. My own blog is written in Erlang but it basically uses an implementation of Django templates that gets compiled down to static HTML automatically + a RSS feed. You don't need comments but if we do you can pre-build URLs do Disqus or some other 3rd party adware system for free. It's not super hard to do.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
how many years was it before C got binary literals

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

qntm posted:

how many years was it before C got binary literals

C doesn't have binary literals.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

my first year classes were in Python, my second year classes were in Java, my third year classes were in C, my project was in Erlang

not once did we have to touch PHP, or even mysql. we had a database class in 3rd year that had us doing mostly raw SQL query exercises with a postgresql db

4th year was too varied depending on the classes picked, but for me it was python, java, javascript, haskell and some more erlang

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Ragg posted:

C doesn't have binary literals.

lol

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
This seems appropriate for this thread. I was working on a programming task for a job interview and a typo in my makefile deleted all my source files for some retarded reason and of course I didn't use source control and now I want to die

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

netcat posted:

This seems appropriate for this thread.

I didn't use source control

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
binary literals were considered for c99 but the committee decided they weren't useful enough

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
just imagine how better this site would be, if this thread had been around when radium was

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

i want to bitch about what a pain it is to get a program i developed on a machine w/ 32GB memory running on a 8GB production server, but i think the embedded devs itt might get upset

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

coffeetable posted:

i want to bitch about what a pain it is to get a program i developed on a machine w/ 32GB memory running on a 8GB production server, but i think the embedded devs itt might get upset

I'm upset and I make excel plugins for a living. Did you know that the version of excel everyone uses has a 1.3gb address space limit? And that people are big fans of running large simulations in excel?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pointsofdata posted:

I'm upset and I make excel plugins for a living. Did you know that the version of excel everyone uses has a 1.3gb address space limit? And that people are big fans of running large simulations in excel?

no, but i have learned recently that .xls documents (as apposed to .xlsx) have a row and column limit of 65536

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

We spent so much time doing lovely optimisations (and then working around them) just so that none of our clients have to move to 64bit excel

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Valeyard posted:

no, but i have learned recently that .xls documents (as apposed to .xlsx) have a row and column limit of 65536

IMO that was a good thing because it stopped people using excel for inappropriate purposes

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

coffeetable posted:

no please tell me how eight billion bytes of memory isn't sufficient :allears:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

pretty much.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Bloody posted:

no please tell me how eight billion bytes of memory isn't sufficient :allears:

eight billion bytes can't handle my epeen :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

netcat posted:

pretty much.
that was flippant of me, but you really should commit every.drat.thing you write, and you should commit often (like, at least once an hour). learn the shortcuts for your source control gui so you can make a checkpoint commit with a few second's effort.

• Locked thread