Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Verranicus posted:

Please tell me how to play ESO correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Okay, check, now tell me how to make all the group content not bland or laughably bad.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Okay, check, now tell me how to make all the group content not bland or laughably bad.

Impossible. Only 2 settings: Piss Easy and Ragequit Hard

Ragequit Hard is just the HP/Resists/Damage amped up to 100x and includes a random one-shot mechanic.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Scyantific posted:

Impossible. Only 2 settings: Piss Easy and Ragequit Hard

Ragequit Hard is just the HP/Resists/Damage amped up to 100x and includes a random one-shot mechanic.

Play your way! Until planar inhibitor, then stop playing a tank.

Sneaking
Sep 15, 2009

Wasn't sneaking. Stupid fat hobbits.
But... I am A Cool Guy :c00lbutt:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Can we take a moment to talk about the weird six-legged bear-stag-boar thing outside of Mournhold?

That thing just sat there for months without any context, but I read that wild ones were added with the Orsinium release. Do they look as ludicrous in motion as they do sitting still?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Mizuti posted:

Can we take a moment to talk about the weird six-legged bear-stag-boar thing outside of Mournhold?

That thing just sat there for months without any context, but I read that wild ones were added with the Orsinium release. Do they look as ludicrous in motion as they do sitting still?

Its a echatere which goes back to the first pocket guide to the empire before Morrowind came out, where they were described to be as ridiculous looking as they are in game. They're sort of like the orcs all around livestock, food, pack mules, etc.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

tgidieday posted:

Play your way! Until planar inhibitor, then stop playing a tank.

You know I still can't believe that they're so hellbent on loving tanks over as hard as they can in this game.

Wrobel prolly got pissed that he couldn't beat a tanky DK character in PvP with a one-shot wonder build and these changes are his way of throwing a hissy fit.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Who Dat posted:

I know the PS4 guilds still exist, and somehow I'm still GM of one :shrug:

Any PS4 gunes still active? I'm on much more lately so definitely looking for some companionship. :a2m: :dance:

Feel free to shoot me a message for an invite, though I think all ranks currently can.

I'm on every few days, I'm NSASpyMachine

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Berke Negri posted:

Its a echatere which goes back to the first pocket guide to the empire before Morrowind came out, where they were described to be as ridiculous looking as they are in game. They're sort of like the orcs all around livestock, food, pack mules, etc.

Elder Scrolls Brahmin.

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
I've been calling them bugbears

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Q&A with Game Director Matt Firor
* Continued focus on social components, to "remove barriers so people can play with each other much easier with fewer restrictions." Extending this philosophy/systems, which is already found in Orsinium and cross-faction grouping changes, to upcoming content.

* CP cap not being raised with Q1 Update/Thieves Guild (still not very many people have reached cap he says). Tentative plan to raise cap by 51 points by each update after Q1/TG. :laugh:

* Vet rank removal coming with Dark Brotherhood update in Q2.

* Crafting mats/styles will be updated to support removal of vet ranks.

* "Our goal is nobody loses access to anything when VR gets removed."

* Console text chat coming, but not planning on voice chat for PC/Mac. Reason for this is there already exist many other options players use for voice chat on those platforms, and don't see a need to take place of those.

* 64-bit support coming in next Update (Thieves Guild)

* 64-bit client will unlock many features/performance changes for Mac client (eg facial animations), and also fix other performance issues for Windows. Will have articles in near future going more in-depth in this and many other things coming in next update.

* "Barbershop" still coming (being able to change name, appearance, race, etc). No ETA, but it is not part of first 2 quarters plan for this year. What's taking so long with it? In and of itself it's not too complex, but there are "about 80 systems" being worked on at the same time, which makes it take longer. :laugh:

* Crafting bags still being worked on. Scheduled to be Q2/DB update and exclusive to ESO+ subscribers.

* Buying extra character slots planned for Q2/DB update.

* Any more depth coming to Justice System? Some of the quests from Thieves Guild play into Justice System.

* Want to eventually add more skill lines, but not in the short-term. Need to work on balance and performance issues first.

* Will Dragonstar Arena ever scale up? In our plans, but not right now. :laffo:

* Updating older sets? Absolutely want to do it, but no ETA.

* Changes to end-game economy (e.g. BoP)? No real clear answer given, just that they try to keep economy in mind when making changes.

Alliance War News with Brian Wheeler
* Incremental patch coming in next 2 weeks addressing behind-the-scenes things to reduce server stress.

* With next major update, they are also going to streamline how abilities communicate with server. Requires code work and data work, so is taking longer.

* What are main plans for PvP in coming year? Still planning on implementing capture mechanics and reward systems to towns in Cyrodiil, as well as IC districts. Will continually be looking to improve performance. Wanting to add new siege weapons or tweak existing ones ("a lot of siege changes coming in Thieves Guild/Q1 Update).

* Instanced and small-scale PvP still happening? Still working on it, just want to make sure it's good (unlike Quakecon demo from the past). Currently in design discussions, then must go through various reviews before being implemented.

* Test PvP campaign on Cyrodiil instead of using PTS? Not feasible because many of the requested changes (e.g. guards, AoE caps, etc) are fixed across game, and couldn't be changed just for 1 instance of Cyrodiil.

* How long will no CP campaign last? Still narrowing down which campaign they will convert. Will be clearly notified when change happens, but leaning toward a 30-day campaign. If it is popular, they could convert/open another campaign for it.

Ask Us Anything
* Next Major Update coming to PTS in early February.

* Working on special events and Tamriel-specific holidays.

* Urns and receptacles throughout Tamriel's households are actually chamber pots!

* Will ever see a more detailed character sheet? Want to do it, but is lower on UI priority list.

* Will we ever be able to save progress in Vet MSA? Yes, this is in progress. Still testing it internally, but look for it in near future.

* Pets with utility features? Would like to do it, but also don't want to force players into certain pets (and escalate into training system, UI, etc)

* Will there be content in TG Update for those who don't want to play as thieves? Yes, 12-man trial and tons of stuff in base game patch.

* Laurels and Goldscale coming to Crown Store? Actually, they are working on universal style mat to be sold in Crown Store, which works with everything and helps keep Crown items un-tradeable.

* Will soon be posting a pinned thread on official forums asking for ideas about small quality of life changes.

* Pet snake? Yesssssssss. Coming later this year.

* Radius of Dark Flare is 8 meters. Other abilities that also don't have a stated range in the tooltip often have 5m meter, but also many have different ranges.

* New music from ESO and Orsinium will be available soon.

* Will introduce "random dungeon" as setting in Group Finder in next update. - hahahaha because clearly that's the option we've been wanting for the LFG tool, not something absurd like additional level filters so we don't get stuck doing veteran dungeons with non-vets.

* In addition to nameplates, which are coming later this year, also working on Guild Plates.

tl;dr No ETA on anything decent

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 18, 2016

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Berke Negri posted:

Well, I'll be damned.

Pocket Guide to the Empire, First Edition posted:

[Orcs are] dependent on a rare shaggy giant centipede herdbeast that can live only at high altitudes on alpine and sub-alpine forage.

It's fun when this game finally shows some of these weird odds and ends of the Elder Scrolls not seen in any modern game, or any game period. Though, I can't say that I expected that six-legged bear-stag-boar thing to be one of them.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtEKD6lLXlM

Goon PvP video

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Can I get an invite to the EP guild? Ingame as @Wrevok, thanks!

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Wow Matt Firor is an exec at zenimax on this. Makes a ton of sense, now I know why I like the PvP so much and also how the balance is so questionable. Matt did some great work with Mythic and I loved DAoC, didn't realize the connection until just now.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Scyantific posted:

Q&A with Game Director Matt Firor
* Continued focus on social components, to "remove barriers so people can play with each other much easier with fewer restrictions." Extending this philosophy/systems, which is already found in Orsinium and cross-faction grouping changes, to upcoming content.

* CP cap not being raised with Q1 Update/Thieves Guild (still not very many people have reached cap he says). Tentative plan to raise cap by 51 points by each update after Q1/TG. :laugh:

* Vet rank removal coming with Dark Brotherhood update in Q2.

* Crafting mats/styles will be updated to support removal of vet ranks.

* "Our goal is nobody loses access to anything when VR gets removed."

* Console text chat coming, but not planning on voice chat for PC/Mac. Reason for this is there already exist many other options players use for voice chat on those platforms, and don't see a need to take place of those.

* 64-bit support coming in next Update (Thieves Guild)

* 64-bit client will unlock many features/performance changes for Mac client (eg facial animations), and also fix other performance issues for Windows. Will have articles in near future going more in-depth in this and many other things coming in next update.

* "Barbershop" still coming (being able to change name, appearance, race, etc). No ETA, but it is not part of first 2 quarters plan for this year. What's taking so long with it? In and of itself it's not too complex, but there are "about 80 systems" being worked on at the same time, which makes it take longer. :laugh:

* Crafting bags still being worked on. Scheduled to be Q2/DB update and exclusive to ESO+ subscribers.

* Buying extra character slots planned for Q2/DB update.

* Any more depth coming to Justice System? Some of the quests from Thieves Guild play into Justice System.

* Want to eventually add more skill lines, but not in the short-term. Need to work on balance and performance issues first.

* Will Dragonstar Arena ever scale up? In our plans, but not right now. :laffo:

* Updating older sets? Absolutely want to do it, but no ETA.

* Changes to end-game economy (e.g. BoP)? No real clear answer given, just that they try to keep economy in mind when making changes.

Alliance War News with Brian Wheeler
* Incremental patch coming in next 2 weeks addressing behind-the-scenes things to reduce server stress.

* With next major update, they are also going to streamline how abilities communicate with server. Requires code work and data work, so is taking longer.

* What are main plans for PvP in coming year? Still planning on implementing capture mechanics and reward systems to towns in Cyrodiil, as well as IC districts. Will continually be looking to improve performance. Wanting to add new siege weapons or tweak existing ones ("a lot of siege changes coming in Thieves Guild/Q1 Update).

* Instanced and small-scale PvP still happening? Still working on it, just want to make sure it's good (unlike Quakecon demo from the past). Currently in design discussions, then must go through various reviews before being implemented.

* Test PvP campaign on Cyrodiil instead of using PTS? Not feasible because many of the requested changes (e.g. guards, AoE caps, etc) are fixed across game, and couldn't be changed just for 1 instance of Cyrodiil.

* How long will no CP campaign last? Still narrowing down which campaign they will convert. Will be clearly notified when change happens, but leaning toward a 30-day campaign. If it is popular, they could convert/open another campaign for it.

Ask Us Anything
* Next Major Update coming to PTS in early February.

* Working on special events and Tamriel-specific holidays.

* Urns and receptacles throughout Tamriel's households are actually chamber pots!

* Will ever see a more detailed character sheet? Want to do it, but is lower on UI priority list.

* Will we ever be able to save progress in Vet MSA? Yes, this is in progress. Still testing it internally, but look for it in near future.

* Pets with utility features? Would like to do it, but also don't want to force players into certain pets (and escalate into training system, UI, etc)

* Will there be content in TG Update for those who don't want to play as thieves? Yes, 12-man trial and tons of stuff in base game patch.

* Laurels and Goldscale coming to Crown Store? Actually, they are working on universal style mat to be sold in Crown Store, which works with everything and helps keep Crown items un-tradeable.

* Will soon be posting a pinned thread on official forums asking for ideas about small quality of life changes.

* Pet snake? Yesssssssss. Coming later this year.

* Radius of Dark Flare is 8 meters. Other abilities that also don't have a stated range in the tooltip often have 5m meter, but also many have different ranges.

* New music from ESO and Orsinium will be available soon.

* Will introduce "random dungeon" as setting in Group Finder in next update. - hahahaha because clearly that's the option we've been wanting for the LFG tool, not something absurd like additional level filters so we don't get stuck doing veteran dungeons with non-vets.

* In addition to nameplates, which are coming later this year, also working on Guild Plates.

tl;dr No ETA on anything decent

This all sounds great to me. Glad they're listening to their community.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Pro-click. I hope cross-faction is bugged so Carla can do this again with a fake blue symbol over his head.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
dragon leap adventures

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
does pvp not grant xp anymore?

e nm it's just atrociously slow still and I guess I wasn't doing enough killing

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 19, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Bit the bullet and joined the "do multiple writs across multiple toons" club. 3 out of 4 blacksmith surveys gave me tempering alloys. :getin:

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!
So does that crafting guild mentioned in the OP still exist? If so, I'd be grateful for an invite. Your username is your tag, right? This is babby's first MMO, so... @thefloobyest

Edit: Got the Request. Thanks, Scyantific!

Mr. Carrier Pigeon fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 20, 2016

Muggsy
Mar 30, 2011
I was not expecting this game's crafting to be as fun as it is; I usually never bother with that stuff. Can I join the crafting guild? @Shivani thanks

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

quote:

Getting steam-rolled by a two-raid, bat-swarming, det-popping bunch of bananas

Pretty much describes fighting AD

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzR1SbnHnDU

Fengrush is a comedy goldmine.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 20, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/01/20/thieves-guild-first-look

Thieves Guild info is out.

Looks like they finally did something right and removed quest restrictions for cadwell areas. Not holding my breath though, they probably did the whole battle leveling BS or broke something else.

Also this trial better be good.

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

Scyantific posted:

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/01/20/thieves-guild-first-look

Looks like they finally did something right and removed quest restrictions for cadwell areas. Not holding my breath though, they probably did the whole battle leveling BS or broke something else.

How dare you give me hope!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Also, RIP animation cancelling.

Anyway it looks like they're just going to set everything to VR 16 for now, scale everyone up, and once the vet rank removal hits, everything will become level 50, making everything piss easy to complete.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Scyantific posted:

Battle leveling is a good thing.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

that all sounds really cool

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It's pretty telling that I'm more interested in the Cadwell restriction removal than what the DLC is offering.

Because it gets frustrating to hear "WHERE IS THE AMULET OF KINGS" after 4-5 times.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Aww, that's actually a cool part though. Manny is good people.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Also, RIP animation cancelling.

Anyway it looks like they're just going to set everything to VR 16 for now, scale everyone up, and once the vet rank removal hits, everything will become level 50, making everything piss easy to complete.

Is there a post/blog I'm missing on the animation cancelling, I can't find info on that. Just curious because it seemed like a tricky change technically and I'm wondering what compromise they chose.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

squirrelzipper posted:

Is there a post/blog I'm missing on the animation cancelling, I can't find info on that. Just curious because it seemed like a tricky change technically and I'm wondering what compromise they chose.

The first look page says that they're improving animations for skills, and while they've assured people that animation cancelling will still be a thing, most people are pretty certain that the improved animations will break said strategy.

Kinda how the lighting patch to "improve visual aesthetics ingame" was a major factor in cyrodiil becoming a laggy mess performance-wise.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Scyantific posted:

The battle leveling is what makes it piss easy. Making it level 50 after that won't change much, since presumably you will also be level 50.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

does this mean getting all my alts to VR1 and then not touching them will finally pay off and i spared myself all that time of grinding them up to VR14 last summer

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
"Animation prioritization"

What does that mean?

I have not been able to play, but plan a return asap.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

No because now you have to grind more champion ranks than veteran ranks. All they did was replace the word veteran with champion and add a zero to the end.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Scyantific posted:

No because now you have to grind more champion ranks than veteran ranks. All they did was replace the word veteran with champion and add a zero to the end.

Yeah, but champion points are account wide so if say I'm at 160 CP all my alts if they hit 50 will now be able to use "VR16" gear without having to go through Cadwell Silver and Gold right (though you'll still want the skyshards and skill points)

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

Yeah, but champion points are account wide so if say I'm at 160 CP all my alts if they hit 50 will now be able to use "VR16" gear without having to go through Cadwell Silver and Gold right (though you'll still want the skyshards and skill points)

There's little point to using v16 weapons without golding them and there's little point to using v16 armor without putting in max enchants. You'll need kuta and tempering alloy, which are 7.5k each and rising. Then you'll need v16 jewelry on top of that, which is another 250k gold. And what's the best way to get all that money? Why, it's also the best way to get new champion points: Leveling your alts through the Cadwell zones.

Fans of pedantry will see this as a big win, but in practice, it really is just veteran ranks with a zero tacked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

tgidieday posted:

There's little point to using v16 weapons without golding them and there's little point to using v16 armor without putting in max enchants. You'll need kuta and tempering alloy, which are 7.5k each and rising. Then you'll need v16 jewelry on top of that, which is another 250k gold. And what's the best way to get all that money? Why, it's also the best way to get new champion points: Leveling your alts through the Cadwell zones.

Fans of pedantry will see this as a big win, but in practice, it really is just veteran ranks with a zero tacked on.

do you actually need to do all that if you just want to use alts to farm pledges and keys though

• Locked thread