Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

Plenty of people carry guns around all day without using them.

They haven't threatened a shootout. What they have said (for the most part) is similar, but not quite that. Some individuals have probably threatened a shootout, but per the Hutaree precedent, those views can't be assumed to be shared by the others.

They have made repeated threats, and lying that they haven't isn't going to change that. They'd made it very clear that they intend to use their guns if they don't get their way, with Ammon Bundy himself talking about how they'll fight back if law enforcement tries to remove them. And even if you set that aside or try to twist it because he's not as aggressive as his followers, he's letting them make their explicit threats and not denouncing them, and they're a part of the movement too. He's using their threats in a way that lets him try to maintain a degree of separation so that people can make disingenuous arguments like your own that even if some individuals are maybe making threats, they don't represent the group, but they do. If they didn't, he'd say something about it, instead of relying on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Bringing guns to a protest is always done to imply you'll start shooting if you don't get what you want. And as such, it is always wrong and bad.

What these people are doing is different in degree from the people who brought their guns to healthcare town halls, but not different in kind. It is, instead, that train of thought taken to its conclusion.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mr Interweb posted:

Bullshit. If law enforcement wasn't worried about getting killed, this would have been over weeks ago.

Not really. The feds are playing by their rule book to not escalate this any further as it's just a joker shitheap there. They have time, lots of it, to act.
The locals, unless they catch these clowns violating laws off federal land, can't do much but watch

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

Plenty of people carry guns around all day without using them.

True, but the threat of using them is omnipresent.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

SocketWrench posted:

Not really. The feds are playing by their rule book to not escalate this any further as it's just a joker shitheap there. They have time, lots of it, to act.
The locals, unless they catch these clowns violating laws off federal land, can't do much but watch

What would a peaceful, nonviolent protestor "escalate" to doing that would cause a law enforcement person to not be able to just walk up and peacefully, nonviolently arrest them?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Bringing guns to a protest is always done to imply you'll start shooting if you don't get what you want. And as such, it is always wrong and bad.

I really don't want to make this point right now. But you've forced me to:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

Clearly, the plight of the black man in racist-rear end America ended on that very day.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
It doesn't necessarily always imply if you don't get what you want you'll shoot. It can also imply that if you get shot at you'll shoot back. In another words, you're not going to be a passive victim, but actually defend yourself, which is a right that people intrinsically have, I believe.

Not every fight can be won through PR, and just rolling over will give aggressive oppressors no reason not to keep doing it when they don't have anyone to answer to.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If you expect to be shot at during a protest and you bring guns to shoot back then it isn't very loving peaceful.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh bullshit. The only reason to carry a gun is to imply you'll use it. There's a legal distinction between committing a crime and committing a crime while carrying a gun, even if you don't threaten to use it, even if you don't have one but claim to.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

There's also a legal distinction between committing a crime and committing a crime while wearing body armor! That really doesn't have anything to do with anything sorry.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Berk Berkly posted:

It doesn't necessarily always imply if you don't get what you want you'll shoot. It can also imply that if you get shot at you'll shoot back. In another words, you're not going to be a passive victim, but actually defend yourself, which is a right that people intrinsically have, I believe.

Not every fight can be won through PR, and just rolling over will give aggressive oppressors no reason not to keep doing it when they don't have anyone to answer to.

No one has the legal right to defend themselves from police action in the US last I looked. Recourse is supposed to be sought via the courts, of course more often than not that fails. I'm not sure what the solution is but I'm pretty sure it's not shooting any law enforcement officer who tries to make an arrest regardless of the circumstances which is pretty much the M.O. of these dipshits.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

There's also a legal distinction between committing a crime and committing a crime while wearing body armor! That really doesn't have anything to do with anything sorry.

I'm honestly not aware of any such legal distinctions. Please explain.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Main Paineframe posted:

Wait, so mere possession of firearms which they aren't using is just as non-peaceful as looting and damaging businesses while throwing rocks at the police? I'm not pro-gun, but merely possessing a legally owned weapon which you have the right to carry does not, by itself, constitute violence.

You just said two pages ago that police putting a blockade around an armed "peaceful protest" was how masscres start and gave every excuse possible to blame the police if and when the situation escalated, claiming that the current non response is the best approach to peaceful protests.

Now we're talking about unarmed protesters who were not only blockaded but met with an extremely aggressive response, no one died, but all of a sudden these people are now the baddies.

Got it.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

No one has the legal right to defend themselves from police action in the US last I looked. Recourse is supposed to be sought via the courts, of course more often than not that fails. I'm not sure what the solution is but I'm pretty sure it's not shooting any law enforcement officer who tries to make an arrest regardless of the circumstances which is pretty much the M.O. of these dipshits.

My comments were in context of the tangent topic, not the Bundy clowns. Their reasons and reasoning are vacuous.

Also I believe you do have the legal right to defend yourself against illegitimate police actions, just not legit ones. But police aren't going to give you any slack either way.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 17, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
So for the record

Have a grievance, you personally break a law, bring a gun, loudly declare your willingness to kill anyone who wants to stop you from breaking the law, police set up a roadblock a mile down the road = you are good guys who the cops should have left alone, they practically goaded you into a firefight.

Have a grievance, someone else breaks a law, don't bring a gun, don't threaten anybody with death, cops blockade you and turn your neighborhood into rubber bullet mogudishu BUT someone threw a rock at them = you monster, you deserve this.

So does that mean if someone at Malheur threw a rock at a cop it'd be okay to turn this into a firefight?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Would it count as a peaceful protest against this lovely argument if I posted only "gas this lovely thread"?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

RandomPauI posted:

I'm honestly not aware of any such legal distinctions. Please explain.

Here's the federal code: 42 U.S.C. Section 3796ll-3(d)(1)

Other states also make distinction, Virginia for example: https://vacode.org/18.2-287.2/

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

Here's the federal code: 42 U.S.C. Section 3796ll-3(d)(1)

Other states also make distinction, Virginia for example: https://vacode.org/18.2-287.2/

Cool, thanks for the info.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Here's some more peaceful rhetoric from these guys:

quote:

Under the heading: “Warning to U.S. Military and Federal LEOs: Do Not Follow Orders to ‘Waco’ Ammon Bundy Occupation, or Risk Civil War,” Rhodes was blunt — although wordy in the process.

“This situation (Oregon occupation) must not be handled in a military or paramilitary fashion, using military assets, military rules of engagement, or otherwise attempting to end it suddenly by use of dynamic assault, resulting in catastrophic loss of life, as has occurred twice in recent American history, with horrific results (at Ruby Ridge in 1992, and at Waco Texas in 1993),” he wrote. ” If you do it ‘Waco’ style here, you risk pushing this nation over the edge into a civil war, because there are ‘no more free Wacos.’”

Concerns have been raised by authorities that the occupiers hoped to provoke a Waco-style attack in order to promote their anti-government views.

Rhodes continued, “Despite that reality of there being no emergency here, we have very good reason to believe that ideologue leftist bureaucrats within the Obama Administration – such as within the D.O.J., and their politically minded ‘perfumed prince’ puppets within the D.O.D. – are pressuring you to prepare to use military assets and military rules of engagement to conduct a dynamic raid,” before adding ominously “We hear things. We’ll just leave it at that.”

Addressing both law enforcement officials and military members, Rhodes claimed, “We agree, and therefore we warn you to do this right, no matter what the Obama Admin overlords try to demand. Do it right, or risk starting a conflagration so great, it cannot be stopped, leading to a bloody, brutal civil war. And do it right, because it is your duty to refuse those orders, under your oath to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. And that includes the domestic enemies now ‘occupying’ Washington D.C.'”

“Your brothers in heaven are watching. Do the right thing. Stand down, and refuse to obey evil, ghoulish sociopaths who salivate at the prospect of watching Americans die on camera, like they watched during Benghazi, ” he stated. “Tell them that if they want American patriot blood, they need to strap on a plate carrier, chest rig, and an M-4 and go do it themselves.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/militia-head-warns-feds-dont-waco-the-oregon-occupiers-unless-you-want-a-bloody-brutal-civil-war/

Boy I certainly can't wait until these nice folk eventually get bored and leave without trouble.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Can we finally call these guys terrorists? They've made it very clear they really, really want that label.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

One important reason why the black panthers carried guns and the major difference between them and vanillaISIS was that the police continuously used violence to the point where they represented a clear and present danger to not only the panthers but also black people in general.

Outside of Waco and Ruby Ridge (which the Feds have made it a point to never repeat and was 20+ years ago) I can't think of a single protest that federal agents have used violence to end. Local and state police yes, but not the Feds.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Mr Interweb posted:

Here's some more peaceful rhetoric from these guys:

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/militia-head-warns-feds-dont-waco-the-oregon-occupiers-unless-you-want-a-bloody-brutal-civil-war/

Boy I certainly can't wait until these nice folk eventually get bored and leave without trouble.

Well, golly, here I was hoping we'd filled out enough mass shootings on our coupon card for a free Waco. How many more do we need this time?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

Armed protestors also are not "peaceful". That hasn't once stopped you from calling them that, though. Weird, huh? Now what could be different about these protesters compared to Ferguson that would make you give them more benefit of the doubt, I wonder...

Holy gently caress stop calling everyone who disagrees with you racist

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If the hood fits.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
You disagree with me, I'm not a homophobe so therefore you hate all gays and want to see them burn.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Yesterday, Lavoy Finicum and Ryan Bundy drove to Idaho and back without any trouble. What the gently caress

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Holy gently caress stop calling everyone who disagrees with you racist

So if the difference isn't race, what is it?

And if the difference isn't race, why did you immediately assume that Who What Now was talking about race even though they didn't specify?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Larch posted:

Why did you immediately assume that Who What Now was talking about race even though they didn't specify?

Well I mean honestly, "Now what could be different about these protesters compared to Ferguson that would make you give them more benefit of the doubt, I wonder..." isn't a super subtle statement.

I got no stake in the slapfight or greater argument, but c'mon.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/688738446555369473
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/688738807391342592

She's also pointing out some suspicious circumstances regarding the signage used late in the Bundy Ranch standoff as well as this one.

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/688740971786424320

edit: also the current argument is pretty stupid, especially since it's ignoring the obvious reasons for each 'protest'. Ferguson was a response to an unarmed black kid getting gunned down in the street by police, after decades of absolutely ridiculous police behavior towards the community. Oregon is a response to two rear end in a top hat ranchers (and alleged child abusers to boot) being forced to serve out their full legal sentence after at least a decade of setting fires on federal lands, poaching, and threatening federal employees, and being handed an illegally light sentence by a local judge. Whether you agree or disagree with mandatory minimums, there's a pretty loving stark difference between Malhuer and Ferguson and equating the two is absolute nonsense.

kartikeya fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 17, 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

As a Millennial I posted:

Yesterday, Lavoy Finicum and Ryan Bundy drove to Idaho and back without any trouble. What the gently caress

So the people wondering why they seemed absent were right.

But seriously, What the gently caress indeed. I know Finicum is currently fuming about his situation with his foster kids being take away by CPS while he was gone. Maybe this was related to that situation?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grem posted:

And, in Connecticut, it's illegal to ride your bike over 65mph!

The point is they made it extra illegal to brandish a gun during a crime because of the implied threat of escalation, the fact that guns inherently make a situation more dangerous. To prove that all you need to look at is how many toddlers killed someone last year, and how many toddlers killed someone with a gun. Or...well, any incident involving a gun. How many people are killed at gun expos vs how many are killed at craft fairs.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

The Larch posted:

So if the difference isn't race, what is it?

And if the difference isn't race, why did you immediately assume that Who What Now was talking about race even though they didn't specify?

Location and the fact that the FBI behaves differently than local cops.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

AlphaDog posted:

What would a peaceful, nonviolent protestor "escalate" to doing that would cause a law enforcement person to not be able to just walk up and peacefully, nonviolently arrest them?

There's a difference between implied violence and actual.
I own guns, one of which hangs on the wall because it's an old musket. Does this make me violent? I am willing to use them to defend my home.
Now if someone breaks into my home I consider that a threat and will attempt to use one of those guns. That would be violent.

kartikeya posted:

edit: also the current argument is pretty stupid, especially since it's ignoring the obvious reasons for each 'protest'. Ferguson was a response to an unarmed black kid getting gunned down in the street by police, after decades of absolutely ridiculous police behavior towards the community. Oregon is a response to two rear end in a top hat ranchers (and alleged child abusers to boot) being forced to serve out their full legal sentence after at least a decade of setting fires on federal lands, poaching, and threatening federal employees, and being handed an illegally light sentence by a local judge. Whether you agree or disagree with mandatory minimums, there's a pretty loving stark difference between Malhuer and Ferguson and equating the two is absolute nonsense.

Well you're just racist

In seriousness though, I say they start the arrests with Pete just to shut that stupid gently caress up if nothing more.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 17, 2016

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Crain posted:

So the people wondering why they seemed absent were right.

But seriously, What the gently caress indeed. I know Finicum is currently fuming about his situation with his foster kids being take away by CPS while he was gone. Maybe this was related to that situation?

They were meeting up with people in Idaho to help them plan another insurrection over there. We know this because they proudly admitted it.

Is this reason enough to start doing something yet?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

As a Millennial I posted:

They were meeting up with people in Idaho to help them plan another insurrection over there. We know this because they proudly admitted it.

Is this reason enough to start doing something yet?

Well that's worse...

Yeah. We already new early on when they were talking about "using Malhuer as a model" that they had plans to export this to other areas. But now they're already traveling around and setting up the next one?

I asked this earlier to someone (maybe socket or theflyingorc), but what should be done if this actually becomes an epidemic (excuse the hyperbolic term, I can't think of another one to use) or uprisings and we see these guys taking over more refuges and BLM lands before the previous ones even end?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

theflyingorc posted:

I'm not talking about the FBI and local cops, I'm talking about how Painframe chose to frame the actions of the two groups of protestors. Try and keep up, sport.

Edit:

SocketWrench posted:

There's a difference between implied violence and actual.
I own guns, one of which hangs on the wall because it's an old musket. Does this make me violent?

People who are willing to use violence and violent, yes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

theflyingorc posted:

Except local cops are also behaving the same passive way. They aren't chomping at the bit and being held back by the feds.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Crain posted:

I asked this earlier to someone (maybe socket or theflyingorc), but what should be done if this actually becomes an epidemic (excuse the hyperbolic term, I can't think of another one to use) or uprisings and we see these guys taking over more refuges and BLM lands before the previous ones even end?

If nothing else, it makes RICO a slam dunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Except local cops are also behaving the same passive way. They aren't chomping at the bit and being held back by the feds.

Having dealt with federal LE taking over an investigation before, there's probably a lot of "thank god we don't have to deal with this bullshit" going on with the local PD. The typical TV "damnit, the feds are here to take over our case and tell us what to do" doesn't really happen.

And on top of that, there's a huge difference between an inner city police force like Chicago, Baltimore and Ferguson and the county sheriff's office in East Buttfuck, Oregon.

There's a lot of false equivalency going on in the realm of "police handle black protestors like that" and "police handle white protestors like this", and while there is a lot of merit to that argument if you're looking at something like an open carry march in the middle of Chicago, it doesn't really map to this situation at all.

• Locked thread