Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I played this at PAX! It was very stylish and seemed interesting. The enemies styled on me, repeatedly, because it was not communicated to me that the game was real time with pause so I was trying to play it like an action game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Contributing to good opening chat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f4eGQ9MIWM

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zereth posted:

.... are you loving kidding me? I've never played a game with Welch in it and I hate her now just because of that.
that's actually really funny, lol

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Suikoden 1 and Lunar SSSC were better than I remember them being. I'm even thinking Chrono Cross is okay for the first time ever.

I forgot about the Suikodens somehow.

And Chrono Cross is a decent game. It's just a bad sequel to Trigger.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mr E posted:

So is either part of P2 worth playing still?
I would definitely say yes. The gameplay isn't so bad for a PS1 JRPG (especially compared to P1) and the story is probably the best one Atlus has ever done.

If you're gonna do them though don't skip Innocent Sin, play both games.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
As someone who tends to play series from the beginning and preferably with the most up-to-date versions, them localizing one half but not the other half of the Persona 2 remake was some hot nonsense.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Okay I'm collecting all the weapons right now so for Ending C and D I can just blaze right through things. The only ones left are sidequest or the one I missed in the castle, which I can obviously get later.

Except for Fang of the Twins. I missed that in Emil's basement facility place. Will that be available to buy at some point? That's what I heard about weapons that you miss out before the timeskip.

I got other thoughts on the story and stuff but gonna wait to post that until I get Ending B.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 17, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nakar posted:

Ar Tonelico is a series that necessitates a pretty good translation because it's weird to start with.

AT2... did not... have this.

Yeah, I remember Japanese textboxes suddenly appearing out of nowhere, for a short, surprised moment I assumed the game had reset itself back to the original language. Quality localization there, guys! :shepface:

Luckily the 90s already immunized me against bad translations, so I can take poo poo like this in stride. But I still wish there was a way to send in my old PS2-disc and have it replaced with a patched one. :sigh:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 17, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kanfy posted:

As someone who tends to play series from the beginning and preferably with the most up-to-date versions, them localizing one half but not the other half of the Persona 2 remake was some hot nonsense.

Atlus USA wanted to, but due to piss poor sales of Eternal Punishment remake in Japan alongside the PSP system basically being completely dead in the west, meant Atlus Japan said no. That's why the PS1 version of Eternal Punishment is on the PSN, as some kind of consolation.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Meanwhile xseed put out multiple psp games just last year

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lets hang out posted:

What'd they do other than Trails SC?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What'd they do other than Trails SC?

Brandish

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Speaking of RPG opening talk, I finally got to the opening in Tales of Zestiria (I was only finding the willpower to play it in like 10 minute increments because the memory of playing through half of it in Japanese is still too fresh in my mind) and wow the US version sucks.
Replacing vocals with wailing trumpet in Wild Arms 2? Okay
Replacing vocals with weird fakey electric guitar sounds in Zestiria? Crap

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Isn't it literally same track just without vocals?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
JP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK02sYlLLMU
US https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDME9eOzd1o

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Isn't it literally same track just without vocals?

tbf the vocals were good enough that removing them makes the song worse

I wouldn't say the US version is awful, but it's definitely inferior

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I heard the instrumental first and it sounded weird to me with lyrics, but I like them both tbh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the guitar in the zestiria op owns tbh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what also owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW1lj5Nijgk

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So while Kaine's backstory was delivered only in text, I wasn't falling asleep like during the Forest of Myth. This was actually interesting and good.

This game must be friggin' obscure. Do people only know it as well as they do because of Id? The wiki and the FAQ's I have found both suck and are incomplete in certain areas so I have to use multiple things. Frickin' Xenosaga has more complete FAQ's than this.

I kinda knew that statue was something different. You can just tell in the FMV with it reaching out its hand all pleadingly.

The little shade and P-33 makes me think of T40s' LP of FFX. They made a joke about this random group of enemies in FFX being on their own quest when our heroes just came along and murdered them. This is exactly that but for real. I guess Nier should have thought better than to trust the word of a patently demented child.

But I guess the moral of the story, as I understand it so far, is that there are two sides to every story. And Kaine can understand the fact we are killing good, more or less innocent people.

So I had my suspicions but the deva ju thing about reliving the prologue thanks to that fortune teller confirmed it for me. Shadowlord is Real Nier and that's why he wanted Repli-Yona's body for his daughter. Perfect fit, after all. But this just confirms the fact the Shades are bad and evil. They're no longer human but they want to steal human bodies. Project Gestalt might have been a good idea way back when but the Replicants are their own people now and you can't go around destroying their lives just because yours is over.

So called it on Shadlowrd and stuff. Kinda of obvious honestly and I'm dumb for taking so long to figure it out. I mean, it sucks for him and the Shades in the Aerie and whatever else but their time is over. They're just monsters now, clinging to this world in hopes of stealing bodies. They died centuries ago and Nier was just putting them out of their misery.

...what a weird epilogue. Good for Emil, I guess?

Will I need Ending C or D to understand why Kaine left? She told Tyrann or whatever that she found a new purpose in helping me. Did she leave because of his warning that as soon as she stopped hating he'd take over her body?

Anyway, I got the Trophy Weapons Collector so I guess that means I got everything. I'll get the other endings later. Need a break. I don't feel like doing the Lost Shrine 5 times in one night, not to mention redoing all the other stuff a third time.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lets hang out posted:

Though they said that SC PSP was more of a labor of love than a practical business decision, especially since FC PSP didn't do so hot.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Going Psp only almost killed xseed, literally.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I won't be surprised if Xseed is no more after a few more years.

Not really disappointed with their work or anything, but it always sounds like they run on a skeleton crew and use the same programmer for everything.

Just waiting for a brain drain basically.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
iirc, XSEED only published the localization of Trails SC, the actual work was done by the Goon-run group (Whose name I csnt remember) responsible for localizing things like Recettear.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

iirc, XSEED only published the localization of Trails SC, the actual work was done by the Goon-run group (Whose name I csnt remember) responsible for localizing things like Recettear.

XSEED localized SC. Carpe Fulgur, the group you're thinking of, just assisted, and not as much as they'd have liked to due to personal reasons.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Carpe Fulgur, and actually they had to bow out at a certain point because one of the Carpe Fulgur guys got so stressed out by the project that he was on the edge of committing suicide before the other Carpe Fulgur guy stopped him.

In lighter hearted news I finally got Tales of Destiny Director's Cut to play on my emulator without freezing and it's freaking awesome. Any of the Tales games that does away with MP or whatever and just lets you use specials freely is great in my book. I'm not crazy about the character design, I think I like the later Tales games more in that department, but with how fun it is and how much I like the characters so far I can forgive that. I think I'll play through this and then Abyss in preparation for Symphonia coming out next month.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Rascyc posted:

I won't be surprised if Xseed is no more after a few more years.

Not really disappointed with their work or anything, but it always sounds like they run on a skeleton crew and use the same programmer for everything.

Just waiting for a brain drain basically.

That's unlikely since they're not an independent company, but rather part of the NA branch of Marvelous Inc.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 18, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Neat, didn't realize their relationship with Marv was going so well.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Neat, didn't realize their relationship with Marv was going so well.

Looking it up, XSEED is actually straight-up the NA branch of Marvelous. The name and label "XSEED" is still used, but officially they've been called "Marvelous USA" since May 2013.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Who knows how long Marvelous will stay in the video game business though. All they make anymore is titty games and farming games.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

TurnipFritter posted:

Who knows how long Marvelous will stay in the video game business though. All they make anymore is titty games and farming games.

farming and titties are the basis for modern civilization so i say marvelous has a bright future

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

NintendoMarvelous is doomed. SquareEnixMarvelous just shot themselves in the foot.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

TurnipFritter posted:

I just checked and huh, I really thought they made more games than that.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Tired Moritz posted:

I just checked and huh, I really thought they made more games than that.

They have phone games that no one bothers to list, and are only in Japan.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Dragonatrix posted:

On a hopefully better note, any thoughts on Lost Dimension? Preferably PS3 version, not Vita if there are any important differences. The general idea of a tactical rpg that's also a longform game of mafia seems pretty cool but I can't help but wonder if it majorly botched the execution or something.

I personally consider Lost Dimension to be the worst game I ever played through twice.
The game feels like somewhat barebones, like they came up with the 'traitor' concept and just spindled a game around it.
Everything is functional, but forgettable. The neatest gameplay innovation is the way you can effectively give the powers of the traitors to your other party members which gives them access to unique cross-breed powers. But you're not likely to get enough skill points to really make the most of it until NG+.
The plot is a giant pile of anime.
It's pretty short overall. (I'd say maybe 10-15 hours for a full playthrough, to get the best ending you will need at least an additional playthrough, possibly more depending on pure luck).

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mokinokaro posted:

I forgot about the Suikodens somehow.

And Chrono Cross is a decent game. It's just a bad sequel to Trigger.

In terms of "non-controversial" very good PSX RPG's, there are just are plenty. In addition to the Suikodens and Chronocross, there are FFT, FF7, and BOF3/4 off the top of my head.

I'd add FF9, Xenogears, Front Mission 3, and Saga Frontier to my personal favorites list but those have too much general dissent to be considered non-controversial. Basically, it was a very good time to be a Square fanboy.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

bloodychill posted:

...Front Mission 3...

This was my personal favourite RPG of the PS1 era, and I was crushed to learn that it was not representative of the rest of the series' gameplay.

Also, that Zesteria intro is really cool (prefer the lyrics version), but I have to ask. In the Tales of... series, is there much in the way of my being able to alter some aspects of the storyline through action?

In Symphonia I was able to change the best friend/love interest through finding and using the scripted asides and other things, and being able to alter character relationships like that was really interesting to me. Is there anything else like that in other games from the series?

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 18, 2016

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
my front mission 3 save with like 10 NG+s and a ridiculous amount of play time is why i still have one of my PS1 memory cards

easily my favorite game from the PS1

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I absolutely loved FM3 and looking back on it, one of my favorite aspects of it was that it had two very different mission/story branches based on the most inconspicuous decision a person could make in a game.

Oh also politic-heavy stories with extremely customizable mechs doing tactical combat is kind of the best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

bloodychill posted:

I absolutely loved FM3 and looking back on it, one of my favorite aspects of it was that it had two very different mission/story branches based on the most inconspicuous decision a person could make in a game.

Oh also politic-heavy stories with extremely customizable mechs doing tactical combat is kind of the best thing.

i actually ended up doing the same story twice because I was totally not expecting that to be a deciding factor