Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It's also a Blade Runner reference!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
sure, but this poor-man's voight-kampff doesn't appear to test for empathy but how much of a dickhead you are

or maybe it was meant to test how irritated the player could get?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

JawKnee posted:

? You mean because Bethesda didn't think to actually have any of the world change apart from what you the character changed?

It's a fair bet they would continue to torture people based on, I believe, a 25% success rate of their ~*Totally Hilarious repurposed GOAT quiz*~

I still can't believe Bethesda thought people really wanted to see that again, or wanted some kind of nostalgic callback to the worst part of a badly written game.

I am 100% certain the put it back in because THEY thought it was hilarious to subject players to the GOAT test one more time.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

JawKnee posted:

? You mean because Bethesda didn't think to actually have any of the world change apart from what you the character changed?

It's a fair bet they would continue to torture people based on, I believe, a 25% success rate of their ~*Totally Hilarious repurposed GOAT quiz*~

I still can't believe Bethesda thought people really wanted to see that again, or wanted some kind of nostalgic callback to the worst part of a badly written game.

aw cmon now I thought the GOAT in there was fun.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Okay, just finished it with all the achievements. I needed to move it from "Normal" to "Easy" for about half of my first playthrough. Make a lot of extra save files before you start making faction decisions if you want to get the final game achievements. I will say that killing everyone if you choose Brotherhood of Steel (despite them being huge douches) is WAY easier than killing the Brotherhood of Steel while playing anyone else.

Thinking of restarting with a build of like super high agility and intelligence and not much else.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

dj_clawson posted:

Okay, just finished it with all the achievements. I needed to move it from "Normal" to "Easy" for about half of my first playthrough. Make a lot of extra save files before you start making faction decisions if you want to get the final game achievements. I will say that killing everyone if you choose Brotherhood of Steel (despite them being huge douches) is WAY easier than killing the Brotherhood of Steel while playing anyone else.

Thinking of restarting with a build of like super high agility and intelligence and not much else.

What level did you finish at, 20?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Father Wendigo posted:

What level did you finish at, 20?

Uh.... 81. I did a lot of side quests.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I swear Bethesda's clever joke of Voight-Kampff test actually has some consistent synth criteria and it's noted on terminal. It's the one about being a pitcher or something? Of course, "consistent" here means "we've had maybe 50 subjects at most, and out of those proven synths took said answer".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think it would have been better game design if they'd made it randomly determined whether the captive was actually a synth.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If you read the terminals the scientists are all like "question 3 is bullshit but I'm getting good things from question 4" and the other guy is like "thats a false positive, question 7 is where its at!" When you meet the head scientist she admits that she is just "pretty sure" that the girl they kidnapped is a synth but isn't torturing a few innocent people worth it for the greater good? So its a pretty hamfisted moral conundrum. Except if you refuse to murder a girl on hearsay everyone in the base tries to murder you. After you escape maybe you think you can convince the townspeople that there is a better way to do things but nope they just suicidally rush out the gates to try to kill you.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pwnstar posted:

After you escape maybe you think you can convince the townspeople that there is a better way to do things but nope they just suicidally rush out the gates to try to kill you.

What? That was the best part!

...the worst part was having to dump a bunch of headless bodies in the lake to clean up the settlement. And some of the gibs just wouldn't move. And the stupid turret vs. turret hostility at Covenant. gently caress that place.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Turret v Turret fights are the best though! Be sure to have Deacon there to try and taunt!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I picked up a load of fusion cells doing the first brotherhood of steel quest but I'm starting to run out. Where is a good place/quest line to get more?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jose posted:

I picked up a load of fusion cells doing the first brotherhood of steel quest but I'm starting to run out. Where is a good place/quest line to get more?

You mean the laser ammo, right? Arturo and KLEO usually sell boatloads of the things. The Railroad quests (namely the Switchboard and University Point ones right at the start) also give you shitloads more cells cause you'll be fighting dozens of synths again.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Jose posted:

Pick up the Prototype UP77 at the University Point Credit Union and never worry about ammo again.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Prototype_UP77_%22Limitless_Potential%22

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

dj_clawson posted:

Pick up the Prototype UP77 at the University Point Credit Union and never worry about ammo again.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Prototype_UP77_%22Limitless_Potential%22

Actually, that one just doesn't need reloading. It still burns through ammo when you fire it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
New beta patch seems to be handy in being able to assign settlers. I still sometimes see 0 water 0 power on the workshop stats screen though. I think all my happiness percentages have increased though.

Still have a bug where night vision doesn't kick in for a really long time when sneaking / doesn't go away for a while. Anybody else have that problem?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
You know what would have been cool? If it was randomly determined that the Protagonist was a synth.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

in what possible way

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

in what possible way

The institute downloaded your memories wile Kellog kidnapped Shaun. The memories were then put into a Synth body. After this revelation, going back to Vault 111 will reveal both parents dead in their cryo units.

Hints/reveals:
A chance of failing the covenant test (humans pass 100% of the time but a synth protagonist will fail it 50% of the time)
Flat out revealed by the institute
Failing a makeshift blood test by Tinker Tom (no one else in the room takes him seriously and he quickly losses interest and moves on to another topic)
Brotherhood test later in the main quest with the option to sabotage it to make the brotherhood believe that you're human after all.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 17, 2016

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Zephyrine posted:

You know what would have been cool? If it was randomly determined that the Protagonist was a synth.

"cool"

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Neat?

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
yeah that's one word you could try and use to describe that idea lol

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

It's no worse than what we already have

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I feel like I should avoid main quest spoilers and then I remember that I've never finished the main quest in a bethesda game because I get bored after doing all the better side quests

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jose posted:

I feel like I should avoid main quest spoilers and then I remember that I've never finished the main quest in a bethesda game because I get bored after doing all the better side quests

You nuke the other factions. The end.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

hobbesmaster posted:

You nuke the other factions a bunch of children. The end.

Fixed

yoyodyne
May 7, 2007
I'm trying to get all of the companion perks, and one of the ways that I'd like to do this is to mod weapons around them. What is the cooldown time for this to increase their opinion of me? Thanks!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

yoyodyne posted:

I'm trying to get all of the companion perks, and one of the ways that I'd like to do this is to mod weapons around them. What is the cooldown time for this to increase their opinion of me? Thanks!

It's normally like a few minutes, but you can get around that by abusing quicksave/load. Just mod the weapon, confirm that they're aroused by said modification (seriously what the hell Danse?), quicksave, load the quicksave and repeat.

yoyodyne
May 7, 2007

Gonkish posted:

It's normally like a few minutes, but you can get around that by abusing quicksave/load. Just mod the weapon, confirm that they're aroused by said modification (seriously what the hell Danse?), quicksave, load the quicksave and repeat.

Thanks! I suppose in the case of Danse he would be enamored with someone who knows how to work with machines. He probably always knew on some subconscious level.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There are some companions you can't max out without doing their side quest, like Cait & Valentine. In Danse's case, you have to get to a certain part of the story.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I am doing different faction quests, what's the point of no return where I start locking myself out of other factions?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

antidote posted:

I am doing different faction quests, what's the point of no return where I start locking myself out of other factions?

Usually it will be pretty obvious where the point of no return is and I think in some cases the game will straight up tell you. Be careful with the BoS though, as there's a point where if you're not careful it'll railroad you into being hostile to the Railroad (heh). Just be sure to quicksave before you talk to questgivers and you'll be good.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

If when you met Father that was the big reveal, it would have at least not completely broken the story the way the actual story does.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Gobblecoque posted:

Usually it will be pretty obvious where the point of no return is and I think in some cases the game will straight up tell you. Be careful with the BoS though, as there's a point where if you're not careful it'll railroad you into being hostile to the Railroad (heh). Just be sure to quicksave before you talk to questgivers and you'll be good.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
What is the best Melee Weapon? I like General Zhao's sword, since it is easy to find, cheap, and decently strong/easy to upgrade. Curious what other people prefer?

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Pickmans blade just wrecks people with the bleed effect.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Gensuki posted:

What is the best Melee Weapon? I like General Zhao's sword, since it is easy to find, cheap, and decently strong/easy to upgrade. Curious what other people prefer?

I've been using an Irradiated Super Sledge with Heat Coil upgrade and the Paintrain perk. It's rare that I don't one-shot everything that isn't a Deathclaw, mini-boss or named character.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Gensuki posted:

Pickman's Blade is great for non-melee, since it's lightweight and the bleed doesn't depend on STR (right?) I think the best for melee types is the Super Sledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

antidote posted:

There are probably some weird edge cases I'm missing, but eh:

Brotherhood:
Talking to Captain Kells in the early part of "Tactical Thinking" makes you hostile with the Railroad. There's no warning for this. Completing the previous quest, "Blind Betrayal," automatically starts it, and while you aren't immediately hostile with the railroad, it still breaks some Railroad quests, effectively locking you out of it.
Boarding the Vertibird in "Spoils of War" makes you hostile with the Institute. You do get a warning.

Railroad:
Failing "Underground Undercover" makes you hostile to the Institute.
I don't think the Institute becomes hostile until "The Nuclear Option" otherwise.
I *think* that the Brotherhood becomes hostile at the start of " Precipice of War," which begins as soon as you complete "Underground Undercover."

Institute:
Reacting with hostility when meeting Shaun for the first time makes you hostile to the Institute.
Killing a named NPC in "End of the Line" makes you hostile to the Railroad.
Teleporting to the Mass Fusion Building in "Mass Fusion" makes the Brotherhood hostile. There's a warning for this.
Siding with the Minutemen against the Institute in "Pinned" makes you hostile with the Institute.
Killing or Freeing the escaped Synths in "The Battle of Bunker Hill" and then telling Shaun you did it on purpose will make you hostile with the Institute.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 18, 2016

• Locked thread