Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

How do the Mediators keep winning the Division Rankings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

What has been up with the Prospectors lately? For 3(?) days in a row now they have not been at the top, and yesterday they were at loving 7th!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Silver Falcon posted:

What has been up with the Prospectors lately? For 3(?) days in a row now they have not been at the top, and yesterday they were at loving 7th!

Oh no, my Salvage ticket stockpile! But really, I wonder if they retooled something server side to give the other groups a better chance.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Pain of Mind posted:

Finally beat the game. I definitely enjoyed the game and got my moneys' worth, but it feels It feels like the scope of the game was going to be bigger, and what we got was kind of rushed out the door halfway through development with a lot of cut content. I assume cut content was anything involving L., Celica, and Rock, since why would they make new models for random characters when they could have just as easily used a Prone or human? Was the game meant to be a MMORPG when they first started developing it? That would somewhat explain the endgame farming and bland characters. I have a stronger memory of the characters and plot from the first game, which I played when it first came out in 2012, compared to the game I played yesterday.

I doubt it was meant to be an mmorpg since it was developed from the ground up for Nintendo and no way would they dabble in that. But it definitely seems like it had a really weird and disorganized development. It's not a typical lazy or rushed game because there's a ton of effort put into so many pieces of it. But at the same time there's so much stuff that feels shallow or got overlooked, that would have taken relatively little effort to fix (no party building menu, really unintuitive ways to find and accept main and affinity quests, a rich and complex combat system that gets abandoned entirely halfway through the game). It feels like there were a half dozen teams pouring their hearts into this game and not communicating at all.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

One of the greatest tragedies of Xenoblade X is that the combat is really, really fun

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

They patched it somehow so that Prospectors can't just automatically win. A bunch of people have probably also jumped ship after noticing, since on top of automatically generating lots of points by idling, part of the reason they were so dominant is because so many people joined it

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

a rich and complex combat system that gets abandoned entirely halfway through the game

I'm not sure what you mean by this considering that well-built ground characters are significantly stronger than almost any skell.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The side quests in this game remind me of Xenosaga of all things. I did the one with the girl who keeps breaking the coffee makers and for a minute I thought I was on Miltia or something.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

lesbian baphomet posted:

They patched it somehow so that Prospectors can't just automatically win. A bunch of people have probably also jumped ship after noticing, since on top of automatically generating lots of points by idling, part of the reason they were so dominant is because so many people joined it

Apparently Mediators get Division points for scouting, so that would explain why I'm suddenly getting scouted every ten minutes or so.

lesbian baphomet posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by this considering that well-built ground characters are significantly stronger than almost any skell.

A well built ground character takes a lot more work to create than a skell.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

A well built ground character takes a lot more work to create than a skell.

Ehh, not really? Ultimately all an infinite overdrive/infinite ghostwalker build needs is an Arts:TP Gain augment, and it's not that much work to ticket+farm one of those. Further ground upgrades are just gravy.

At least, not compared to the work it takes to make a high-end skell with Zenith Cannon and such (plus i'm pretty sure you have to have finished the game to even have access to the cannon?). Like yeah you could just outfit a level 50 with shop parts or whatever, but that's not really anything special, and it isn't hard to outperform that on the ground considering that almost every good damage ability for skells is on a 40-60 second cooldown.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I got a sweater!

It matches my hair!

Basically, any mission that gets me clothes is top priority.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 17, 2016

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

lesbian baphomet posted:

Ehh, not really? Ultimately all an infinite overdrive/infinite ghostwalker build needs is an Arts:TP Gain augment, and it's not that much work to ticket+farm one of those. Further ground upgrades are just gravy.

At least, not compared to the work it takes to make a high-end skell with Zenith Cannon and such (plus i'm pretty sure you have to have finished the game to even have access to the cannon?). Like yeah you could just outfit a level 50 with shop parts or whatever, but that's not really anything special, and it isn't hard to outperform that on the ground considering that almost every good damage ability for skells is on a 40-60 second cooldown.

What is it about Ghostwalker that makes it so good, especially when paired with Blossom Dance? I switched to Dual Guns so I finally have access to Ghostwalker (keeping the lighsabers though), and it seems... all right? Decoy is useful I guess, but Ghost Factory does the same thing, looks like?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Silver Falcon posted:

What is it about Ghostwalker that makes it so good, especially when paired with Blossom Dance? I switched to Dual Guns so I finally have access to Ghostwalker (keeping the lighsabers though), and it seems... all right? Decoy is useful I guess, but Ghost Factory does the same thing, looks like?
Ghost Factory uses TP, and you generally can't stuff enough TP down Blossom Dance's maw once you get the build rolling.

Decoy is just the easiest way to get invincible against a large swathe of possible enemies. You can get invincible with gearing up for specific damage types and swapping equipment based on your target if you really want to get stuck in to the post game.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Silver Falcon posted:

Ghostwalker makes you invincible for a time, doesn't cost TP like factory, and probably has a lower cooldown too. Blossom dance ignores enemy resistances, and if used in a melee combo with the right skills on it can get crazy multipliers. The typical Blossom dancer build gives something like +30%+50%+150%+100% to the damage, and used with tertiary cooldown it adds like another 400% multiplier. The big thing is that it pierces defenses though, which means that nothing is safe from it (except maybe Plume).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The thing about Decoy is that it's complete damage nullification for a few attacks. Normally, that doesn't mean much, but in overdrive, you can spam Ghost Walker with almost reckless abandon, especially if you have infinite overdrive going.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

Ghost Factory costs TP and iirc it only gives Decoy 3 at max rank, on the bright side it affects the whole party. Ghostwalker gives Decoy 5 (which with secondary/tertiary cooldown I guess could become decoy6/7, if the cooldown bonuses allow that), which avoids more instances of damage, and costs nothing. With infinite overdrive to be able to put it back up before it expires, that makes you invincible to anything that doesn't spam a lot of multi-hit attacks to knock the decoy off before the cooldown comes back up (not counting spike, reflect, etc, but that's crap you'd have to augment specifically for anyway). Though with the Fast Forward skill, going from melee->ghostwalk makes running out of Decoy especially unlikely.

I use a photon saber combo build instead of Blossom Dance, but I'm pretty sure the reason people use blossom dance (on top of it being a generally strong melee ability) is because for some reason the game's only named ultimate ground weapons are boring rear end plain ol Longswords.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So do you have to find every mining probe and duplicator/boos probe to get the 100k miranium, or can you just use some/most of them to do it?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

lesbian baphomet posted:

The game is mostly balanced around the offense and defense boosts you get from Skells after chapter 6. I think most players aren't going to put together a minmaxed endgame build that outperforms a skell.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

The game is mostly balanced around the offense and defense boosts you get from Skells after chapter 6. I think most players aren't going to put together a minmaxed endgame build that outperforms a skell.

Dude, at level 30 when I cleared ch6, my character could still outdamage my lv30 skell. I just didn't have ghostwalker to survive or enough TP to keep up overdrive at that point.

It's not even a matter of endgame, just playing and leveling as blast fencer/galactic knight gives you most of the tools you need to hit way harder than a skell, since the class is so blatantly oriented towards melee combos. The rest is just a matter of getting the 1 or 2 augments needed to do infinite overdrive (and leveling full metal jaguar, but leveling different classes is more of a normal gameplay thing, not 'farming' or 'work')

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 17, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So do you have to find every mining probe and duplicator/boos probe to get the 100k miranium, or can you just use some/most of them to do it?
At the very least you can do it without collectapedia bonus probes. I think it you did Kirstys stuff and get the storage probes from chests you should be able to just make it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

A minmaxed endgame build can't reliably deal as much damage in a single hit as a skell but infinite overdrive builds can poo poo out hilarious amounts of sustained damage with total invincibility. You'll probably end up using a minmaxed skell super-weapon to oneshot things but ground builds can still be hilariously OP. I actually prefer using ground builds for the Global Nemesis actually. That said when you can reliably oneshot even the ultimate boss with a specific combo of skell weapons there isn't much reason to stress about it.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I need some help for the final boss...

I'm level 48, current rank 5 Partisan Eagle
I feel like this class is my problem, I've tried switching to other maxed out classes but I don't have good enough weapons to equip anymore

I've already easy'd him down to level 45, and I'm fighting what I believe is the final part where he goes into a rage and summons mutants
The best I can do is Elma dies when he has about 1/4 health left and then Lin and I get overwhelmed by the mutants and his attacks that take control away.

Should I come back later?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

zedprime posted:

At the very least you can do it without collectapedia bonus probes. I think it you did Kirstys stuff and get the storage probes from chests you should be able to just make it.

That's right, I was getting mining probes mixed up with the storage probes i actually need.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

.TakaM posted:

I need some help for the final boss...

I'm level 48, current rank 5 Partisan Eagle
I feel like this class is my problem, I've tried switching to other maxed out classes but I don't have good enough weapons to equip anymore

I've already easy'd him down to level 45, and I'm fighting what I believe is the final part where he goes into a rage and summons mutants
The best I can do is Elma dies when he has about 1/4 health left and then Lin and I get overwhelmed by the mutants and his attacks that take control away.

Should I come back later?

You can get by with weaker weapons if you're setting up a strong build. If you have dual guns/dual swords maxed out you can just set up an infinite overdrive combo which'll carry you regardless.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I have Commando Rank 10 but I don't have any spare dual swords, I do have a decent longsword though- will that do?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I actually prefer using ground builds for the Global Nemesis actually.

Speaking of, I just ended up in a group with another infinite overdrive player for Ygg, and for half the fight the weather changed to a damage storm and Ygg activated proximity spikes. So instead of making GBS threads out damage I spent most of the time chaining Astral Heal to keep us both up.

Another benefit of being a ground character (and saber user), you can cast healing on command without relying on soul voice activations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

.TakaM posted:

I have Commando Rank 10 but I don't have any spare dual swords, I do have a decent longsword though- will that do?

Longsword is probably better than dual swords if you can equip it. If you did Nagi's recruitment that would be ideal for you but you can probably limp along with the base moves.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I know I harp on the missed opportunities when it comes to the characters, but I just did Irina's final affinity mission (Fathers and Sons), and it's like, what was the point of that? Several of the party members have something that resembles a story arc, or at the very least a mission builds off a previous one, and this is just... "wacky" slapstick where the characters are utterly befuddled by something that's really obvious.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Because that kind of awful writing is unfortunately one of the touchstones of the genre, and Monolith apparently can't make 2 games in a row without reverting to it. I've enjoyed a lot of this game, but many of the low points remind me of Xenosaga.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So according to some reddit post, you can get 100,000 miranium cap with 10 storage, 3 duplicator and 2 booster probes using this set up:

http://i.imgur.com/VGvzTpp.jpg

Yet when I do that exact set up I get something like 57,000. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what my problem was. I thought my mirainium cap on in the menu screen would update as I changed probes around, but I that to bring it back up to update it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 18, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Outfit update: I got some nice pants for my sweater.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Fourth Wall posted:

Because that kind of awful writing is unfortunately one of the touchstones of the genre, and Monolith apparently can't make 2 games in a row without reverting to it. I've enjoyed a lot of this game, but many of the low points remind me of Xenosaga.

It isn't so much the awful jokes or whatever (although gosh that was dumb), it's that it's a four heart Irina affinity mission and it didn't really involve her at all. She could have been removed from it and it would have changed nothing.

Waffleman_ posted:

Outfit update: I got some nice pants for my sweater.

I'm happy for you because female characters have some really dire fashion options.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
At the top right of Oblivia there's a probe I just cannot find at all. It's near the big lake that the Nopon Caravan is on. It looks like it's in a cave? If it is, I cannot find the entrance.
Does anyone know the one I mean?

Also I still haven't managed to get the quest for level five mechanics. I've had level 4 for about 30 hours now, getting really annoying!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

At the top right of Oblivia there's a probe I just cannot find at all. It's near the big lake that the Nopon Caravan is on. It looks like it's in a cave? If it is, I cannot find the entrance.
Does anyone know the one I mean?

Look to the sky.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm happy for you because female characters have some really dire fashion options.

The color maybe clashes a bit because they're mostly white, but I like the style of them better with the sweater.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

TurnipFritter posted:

Look to the sky.

Duh, I should have thought of that. Thanks!

I have a similar problem with the third of the probes in the Divine Roost. One is level 5 (centre) one I've got (left) but the right hand one I cannot find at all.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

The color maybe clashes a bit because they're mostly white, but I like the style of them better with the sweater.

I couldn't really stand any of the turtlenecks, so good on you for getting mileage out of them. Now hoodies on the other hand, a couple of the looks for those caught my eye, especially for female characters. It makes them look more human, even Lin.

Though I will admit that sometimes fashion is too important to me. I did a fair bit of ticket farming to craft one of the postgame outfits for Elma. Not the bunnysuit, the one below it. And you know what? It was worth it.

Now if only I didn't have to scroll through page upon page of tanktops to find the outfits I actually want to use...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

Duh, I should have thought of that. Thanks!

I have a similar problem with the third of the probes in the Divine Roost. One is level 5 (centre) one I've got (left) but the right hand one I cannot find at all.

Small island, down outside the Divine Roost.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ashsaber posted:

I couldn't really stand any of the turtlenecks, so good on you for getting mileage out of them. Now hoodies on the other hand, a couple of the looks for those caught my eye, especially for female characters. It makes them look more human, even Lin.

I'm certainly 100% going to change it eventually simply because I like to change appearance as time goes on, but it's a good enough non-armory outfit this early in the game.

Plus, like I said before, it just happens to match ol' Kurihara's hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Anyone else unable to connect to the servers?

• Locked thread