Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Colonel Cool posted:

Why 3.5 didn't give rogues something like Epic Precision for free at level 1 is beyond me.

I always use mod tools to give Paladins extra feats since they don't get their celestial mount stuff. Tower Shield and Bastard Sword tend to make up for a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Who What Now posted:

What's the best class to play in NWN2?

Honestly they're all fine. Stuff like wizards might be tricky to play at first due to your low health, but once you get a posse it's fine. It's not exactly a hard game to play, though I believe both of the expansions have time limit junk if you rest forever like a tosser.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Absolutely not a rogue because their one class feature is useless.

Yeah, precision damage is completely useless in the main campaign, since you're fighting undead for like the entire third act.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Honestly they're all fine. Stuff like wizards might be tricky to play at first due to your low health, but once you get a posse it's fine. It's not exactly a hard game to play, though I believe both of the expansions have time limit junk if you rest forever like a tosser.

I never played Storm of Zehir, but Mask's time limit mechanic is only relevant if you aren't taking the Good-aligned route.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I played rogue on hard mode in those games and it was totally fine. You get enough stuff and the main campaign is easy enough that not being able to sneak attack undead until epic levels isn't actually a huge deal.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zehir is also good. It's the Icewind Dale of the NWN2 expansions.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Who What Now posted:

With melee classes fights will basically run on autopilot, occasionally you might pick a new target or something. Self-buffing characters will spend a lot of time reapplying the same set of buffs. Squishy casters have a little more to do, but the game assumes you're playing an armored tank and will send all enemies after you, and if a fight results from a dialogue as they often do you'll be right at the front of things, and anyway you'll probably find one spell that's good to spam and go into a fight-rest-fight-rest cycle. Might as well play a warlock since they don't need as much rests and their self-buffs last whole days but you're still gonna spam that one spell over and over again.

All classes are fine really, it's just not a particularly fun game to play.

e: I should point out, the game assumes you're playing a frontline warrior so much that it gives you a very special sword that's story critical. If your class can't use a sword, or hell even just if you're a melee guy who specialized in falchions or whatever, you kiiiiind of get shafted. You'll get by, but you'll always think "oh so I was supposed to use this sword I guess". It's like, why even bother setting up the whole character creation system when you make assumptions about the PC on that level?

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 16, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Apart from very slowly grinding down the statues and portal at the end of the vanilla campaign you don't actually need to use the special sword at all. Also it's a special sword that is classified as a generic sword so any class can wield it, but I don't think any feats will work for it.

With melee you can either go straight up paladin, barbarian or fighter which might not be the most fun thing, especially the last one, or you go for dragon disciple, frenzied berserker or weapon master. Those three prestige classes will make you deal more damage than a regular barbarian or fighter but for all the love I really don't care much for the weapon master as it requires a ton of feats (whirlwind, while cool, isn't particularly good since it'll make the AI spam it and you lose out on damage unless you directly control the character) and it makes you crit like a lunatic but the game is full of undead and spirits and other things that are immune to crits.

Frenzied berserker is fun, at level ten you get the Supreme Power Attack feat:

quote:

A 10th level, the Frenzied Berserker gains a +6 damage bonus (instead of +3) using the Power Attack feat. Using the Improved Power Attack feat, the Frenzied Berserker gains a +12 damage bonus (instead of +6). This translates to +12 with two-handed weapons for standard Power Attack and +24 for Improved Power Attack.

Personally I've found barbarian to be more fun than fighter, sure you'll lose out on a lot of feats (you have to pick up the heavy armor feat too) but you get some fun stuff to make up for it like more skill points, more class skills, faster movement and rage. I wish the game had a higher cap on stats than 50, it's too easy to reach it with strength in MoTB.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

NWN2 is 3rd edition, so it's worth it to try and do something more interesting than the base classes.

This guide has a ton of builds that are both powerful and, more importantly, fun. You can skip the huge :spergin: and scroll directly to the builds if you want.

Personally I played through NWN2/MoB using the one called "BadBard", which was awesome because it had high Charisma and diplomatic skills (which is great for a protagonist), good tanking (useful as you will often be in the front of the party) and was still pretty strong in general. Definitely recommended if you don't mind playing an evil character.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I just played as a wizard, because I am lazy and enjoy cheesing endgame fights by casting fire immunity on the party and spamming meteor swarm everywhere.

Also you probably want to have at least one of the dialogue skills as a class skill, and/or have some spare skill points to sink into them.

And since this is still an Obsidian game there is both a fixpack, and (for truly hilarious reasons) a fixpack for the fixpack.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

if you don't mind playing an evil character
That's the other terrible thing about NWN2. They very clearly had a lawful good character in mind for the campaign. But even if not, no two people have the same idea about what constitutes law/chaos/good/evil and playing any sort of alignment-restricted class turns into a 60-hour balance act between acting in line with your idea of the character, acting in line with the writers' idea of both your character and alignment, and not losing the ability to progress in levels. You end up picking dialogue options for their mechanic effect rather than for content. Fortunately alignment is at least easy to mod out.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

When I played NWN2 a few years ago, I was really impressed with Kaedrin's PrC pack, if you're the type of person that likes going through sourcebooks and coming up with a multi-class munchkin build. There's a lot of cool prestige classes in there that are relatively well-realized, and a bunch of added cleric domains and spells. I think my main PC was something like Wizard/Red Wizard of Thay/Necromancer/Frost Mage, and you can prestige the party NPCs into the new classes too. Helps you make a lot of really neat fighter/magic builds.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
WHY!? WHY DID YOU SHOW ME THAT PrC PACK!?

Now I want to replay the game.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's the other terrible thing about NWN2. They very clearly had a lawful good character in mind for the campaign. But even if not, no two people have the same idea about what constitutes law/chaos/good/evil and playing any sort of alignment-restricted class turns into a 60-hour balance act between acting in line with your idea of the character, acting in line with the writers' idea of both your character and alignment, and not losing the ability to progress in levels. You end up picking dialogue options for their mechanic effect rather than for content. Fortunately alignment is at least easy to mod out.

Yeah, if you don't go out of your way to avoid it you will inevitably gravitate towards Lawful Good just due to the way the dialogue choices and the story are written. There's a bunch of stuff where "advance the plot" gives you Lawful/Good points and the only way to get Evil or Chaotic points is to go out of your way to be a jerk in a sidequest.

e: Mask of the Betrayer is also pretty bad about this, in that interacting with one of the main game mechanics gives you either Lawful Good points or Chaotic Evil points and you have to do it constantly and, for the best mechanical benefits, the same way every time.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 17, 2016

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Who What Now posted:

Uninstall Wizard.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Shaking lemur butt posted:

Uninstall Wizard.

:laffo:

Always makes the WIS roll

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, if you don't go out of your way to avoid it you will inevitably gravitate towards Lawful Good just due to the way the dialogue choices and the story are written. There's a bunch of stuff where "advance the plot" gives you Lawful/Good points and the only way to get Evil or Chaotic points is to go out of your way to be a jerk in a sidequest.

e: Mask of the Betrayer is also pretty bad about this, in that interacting with one of the main game mechanics gives you either Lawful Good points or Chaotic Evil points and you have to do it constantly and, for the best mechanical benefits, the same way every time.
They patched out that using suppression gave you lawful points at least.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
MotB actually has a pretty good evil path. I can't think of many other games that makes you feel like an actual villain the way Mask does it

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

netcat posted:

MotB actually has a pretty good evil path. I can't think of many other games that makes you feel like an actual villain the way Mask does it
Planescape: Torment lets you feel absolutely wretched.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Yeah that's a good one too.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The MotB evil path lets you quote Darkside:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Uninstall Wizard.

:thurman:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Uninstall Wizard.

:boom:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah Mask and Torment did stunning jobs of having evil options that are actually just outright horrible instead of insisting people pay up when you go fetch their bear asses or whatever.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah I hate in a alignment RPG in order to get a good "alignment" you have to outright refuse most quest rewards and God forbid you tell someone they're being stingy.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Actively selling your companions into slavery (for the second time, in at least one case) is a cut beyond where most games are willing to take the "evil" path.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

sell your companions to cannibals, imo

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Shugojin posted:

Yeah Mask and Torment did stunning jobs of having evil options that are actually just outright horrible instead of insisting people pay up when you go fetch their bear asses or whatever.

The thing is I have a friend who made decisions based solely on what they thought would be the most evil path. In the end, their character was Chaotic Neutral.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Update, with plot advancement!

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Crap, I had this wall of text about alignment all written up and you come and ruin it with your comic update :argh:

OK here goes anyway:

What bothers me is that these games seem to have this concept of "Evil" as "person who is just generally a raging rear end in a top hat in every possible way". In real life no one wakes up every morning and thinks "gee golly, I suck so much as a human being, I wonder if I can find new ways to suck today".

People become assholes in specific, refined ways. You have the bureaucrat who won't listen to reason even in the face of incredible suffering, the selfish bastard who always puts himself first, the vengeful crusader hell-bent on taking out his issues on innocents, and so forth and so on. The vengeful crusader can be brave and willing to sacrifice himself for the cause; the selfish bastard will be willing to bend the rules for you if they can see it benefiting them in the long run; the bureaucrat can have a very reasonable approach to the application of the law and believe that innocents should never be punished for the actions of others, and that vigilantes cannot be allowed to operate.

Of course when all is said and done you have the real sadists who get off on the suffering of others, but how common are they really? And are they the people you honestly think of when you think, "compelling villain"? And even these people, do they really go down the main street of life dutifully popping every birthday baloon and kicking every puppy? Because that's what these games apparently expect "evil" to be.

TBH It's not a problem limited to D&D games; a lot of popular media at some point says "gently caress it" and goes the "villain with zero redeeming qualities who is just the worst person in every way" route, because :effort: (I'm looking at you, Divergent trilogy; and I had better not start talking about that recent Star Wars movie). There's even less of an excuse for it in other media really, because accommodating unexpected, realistic evil on the part of a player character is a much tougher nut to crack than just, you know, letting your villains be people.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Someone explain to me why Hel's vote still counts after Roy smears the new High Priestess's vampire brains all over the floors and wall with her own morning star, because I ain't findin' it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Triple Elation posted:

Crap, I had this wall of text about alignment all written up and you come and ruin it with your comic update :argh:

Well, you basically summed up one of the biggest themes behind OotS, so you kinda got back on topic anyway :v:

Wulfolme posted:

Someone explain to me why Hel's vote still counts after Roy smears the new High Priestess's vampire brains all over the floors and wall with her own morning star, because I ain't findin' it.

It won't, but the other clerics would be obligated to kill Roy on the spot.

"But why should that stop Roy, who knows that otherwise he's going to die anyway, and who's more comfortable with death than most?" - that currently has no justification other than "Rich is afraid that his young and impressionable readers will literally kill themselves".

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Wulfolme posted:

Because he (probably) can't do that? He's (probably) not her bodyguard.

^ Having lost one of my best friends to suicide, I'm wholeheartedly behind Rich's position.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Wulfolme posted:

I don't think Roy's still an official bodyguard, now that Durkon's ceded his position as a High priest and split. So in the next strip the pro-world-destruction priests may catch on to the fact that he's technically as much of an intruder as the vampires and just blast him with all the spells they have left.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Triple Elation posted:

What bothers me is that these games seem to have this concept of "Evil" as "person who is just generally a raging rear end in a top hat in every possible way". In real life no one wakes up every morning and thinks "gee golly, I suck so much as a human being, I wonder if I can find new ways to suck today".

Actually I'm pretty sure this is Karl Rove's morning routine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Triple Elation posted:

So I wonder if Roy's sword managing to partially penetrate is a Chekov's Gun to foreshadow him pulling the same trick later.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

So I wonder if Roy's sword managing to partially penetrate is a Chekov's Gun to foreshadow him pulling the same trick later.

How is an inanimate sword penetrating Anti Life Shell significant? I guess the toss itself could be, but in nearly all circumstances Roy throwing his sword is an extremely low percentage move for him.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
So, Belkar lives a bit longer still.

I mean, Rich could always pull a GRR Martin and have him die in an anticlimax, but I think it would be really unsatisfying for one of the mooks to kill him.

On the other hand, dying to a nameless nobody would be poetic justice since that's how he treated the people he killed.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Triple Elation posted:

What bothers me is that these games seem to have this concept of "Evil" as "person who is just generally a raging rear end in a top hat in every possible way".
If you're looking for a game where that is most emphatically not the case, look no further than Fallen London.

Behind its grindy gameplay and quaint Victorian setting, FL has more slippery slopes than a mountain range on the Elemental Plane of Lube. Even if you start out as a well-meaning paragon of virtue, the writers will use every dirty trick in the book (sunk cost fallacies, consistency traps, Milgram's Experiment stuff, etc.) to slowly but surely guide you into damnation, until you find your character carrying out a murder spree, joining a cannibal cult or setting buildings on fire with innocent people locked inside. And then, when you look back, you probably won't be able to find any particular point where the change happened.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 18, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

How is an inanimate sword penetrating Anti Life Shell significant? I guess the toss itself could be, but in nearly all circumstances Roy throwing his sword is an extremely low percentage move for him.

Because nothing else he did was working and it foreshadows a way for him to do it.

ikanreed posted:

So, Belkar lives a bit longer still.

I mean, Rich could always pull a GRR Martin and have him die in an anticlimax, but I think it would be really unsatisfying for one of the mooks to kill him.

On the other hand, dying to a nameless nobody would be poetic justice since that's how he treated the people he killed.

At this point I really don't think Belkar is going to die in any way people can reliably say "now THIS is the time Belkar is going to die."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

greatn posted:

Yeah I hate in a alignment RPG in order to get a good "alignment" you have to outright refuse most quest rewards and God forbid you tell someone they're being stingy.

That sort of this also has always struck me as incredibly disingenuous too. Like, sure Mr. Peasant, I'll say no your piddly GP award because I know the game is going to give me even more XP (a much more valuable resource) for choosing the Dudley Doright option. I end up doing the "right" thing but for reasons that are completely mercenary.