Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I dont think this is like ferguson at all but some people seem too and use it as a (retarded) reason to say the fbi should just charge

They're comparing police responses, which yes, you're right, the police aren't the FBI, but you're comparing the actions of the militants to the Ferguson protestors and that's annoying the gently caress out of me (it hasn't just been you, I know) because it's ignoring the circumstances that set both of these events off. One was a murder at the end of a decades long campaign of racist shitbagging by police in the community, another is a bunch of ranchers throwing a tantrum over some other ranchers having to serve out some consequences of breaking the law for over a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lycus posted:

Heh, lots of supporters in the comments are pissed off by this.

Yeah, I can't tell how many of those comments are from trolls, but a lot of it looks like genuinely pissed-off right-wingers.

Apparently sending dildos to a bunch of social media-obsessed nutcases can't help but yield dividends.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I'm surprised that the state troopers aren't more actively arresting militants that wander into town / leave the bird sanctuary. They managed to grab that dude in the parking lot.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Somehow make that photo the new title of the thread, just make it happen pls

pretty sure that's not possible, or practical.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 18, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Grem posted:

Being a foster parent as your main source of income just sounds so wrong, but you know that was probably his main source of labor on his ranch, too.

Who knows what that idiot thought qualified as therapy for those kids.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Instead of dildos someone should send these guys a few cans of surstromming. Maybe some fresh durians too while you're at it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Crain posted:

We know where Private Pile's line is.

Uhhhh... I don't think this is the best example to use, given the events of the movie.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
The FBI should release the guy they picked up if he doesn't cooperate and give them everything. As in, release him right back to the militants. Drive up to the Sanctuary, pat him on the back, smile and wink.

They'd string him up as a traitor within the hour and fully seal the case for the rest of them.

poo poo, even plant various electronic doodads on him. Give him a nice new tacticool coat.

Talmonis fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 18, 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Uhhhh... I don't think this is the best example to use, given the events of the movie.

poo poo. I actually forgot where I heard that name. It was just the first thing that popped into my head...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Talmonis posted:

The FBI should release the guy they picked up if he doesn't cooperate and give them everything. As in, release him right back to the militants. Drive up to the Sanctuary, pat him on the back, smile and wink.

They'd string him up as a traitor within the hour and fully seal the case for the rest of them.

poo poo, even plant various electronic doodads on him. Give him a nice new tacticool coat.

I think it's irresponsible to willfully endanger someone like that.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Captain Fargle posted:

Instead of dildos someone should send these guys a few cans of surstromming. Maybe some fresh durians too while you're at it.

This is actually better than the dildos, gummy bears, and lube.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Surstromming is not on Amazon and I only saw one Durian.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Captain Fargle posted:

No. Other people will have to come back and use the building when they leave.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Videos of dudes trying to eat surstromming and puking their guts out are hilarious and I'm not sure why.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pope Guilty posted:

Videos of dudes trying to eat surstromming and puking their guts out are hilarious and I'm not sure why.

It's because they're funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3194h-akJX0

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

It's the hubris. Gotta be the hubris.

General_Disturbed
Apr 7, 2005

Ride the 8=====D
Does anybody actually know what was happening tonight? They streamed some guy on a cellphone claiming he had a cop badge, who then went to a house and got some kids and drove off with them and a woman. Then Pete's crew were celebrating that her kids had been returned to her from CPS. I'm assuming they livestreamed a felony kidnapping but like most pete videos 90% of it was buffering so it was hard to tell exactly what was happening/being said. And they seem convinced everybody in the chat is an FBI informant so nobody gives a straight answer about what exactly is happening ever.

Edit: Managed to find an update on Pete's site. They apparently did livestream a felony kidnapping of a group of kids that had been taken by CPS from one of the militants. Who according to pete have "now boarded a private plane to be taken to a safe location".

General_Disturbed fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 18, 2016

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

General_Disturbed posted:

Does anybody actually know what was happening tonight? They streamed some guy on a cellphone claiming he had a cop badge, who then went to a house and got some kids and drove off with them and a woman. Then Pete's crew were celebrating that her kids had been returned to her from CPS. I'm assuming they livestreamed a felony kidnapping but like most pete videos 90% of it was buffering so it was hard to tell exactly what was happening/being said. And they seem convinced everybody in the chat is an FBI informant so nobody gives a straight answer about what exactly is happening ever.

Edit: Managed to find an update on Pete's site. They apparently did livestream a felony kidnapping of a group of kids that had been taken by CPS from one of the militants. Who according to pete have "now boarded a private plane to be taken to a safe location".

:eyepop:

grats do nothing fbi shitbags. now we got kidnapped kids added into the mix. when are they gonna start taking this poo poo seriously?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

General_Disturbed posted:

Souce link please.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Condiv posted:

:eyepop:

grats do nothing fbi shitbags. now we got kidnapped kids added into the mix. when are they gonna start taking this poo poo seriously?

This crime isn't really directly tied to the stuff at the refuge

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Pete Santilli is gonna be responsible for all of these yahoos getting 30+ years.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Souce link please.

It's not hard to find on his YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anStnML7D4s

Edit: Interestingly, Blaine & Melissa Cooper, who the video names, are different people from Robert Finicum (Tarpman), who had the $100K/year foster kids taken away, so I have no idea what's going on in this video.

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burn...m-burns-oregon/

E2: Apparently Blaine Cooper is another one of the militia guys. Maybe CPS has been taking several of their children away? "Freeing" kids from CPS is almost certainly kidnapping, though.

E3: Yeah both Blaine and Melissa Cooper are listed as militants. Blaine apparently has a past conviction for aggravated assault, and they've both gone on "border operations". I'd guess that CPS had enough reason to take the kids away, between the prior conviction and both parents leaving their kids in Arizona to participate in an illegal occupation in Oregon for two weeks.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 18, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^^That's seriously hosed up. CPS must have their own avenues to rescue these kids, right?

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Surprise, surprise, surprise, I'm so old I thought you meant this one:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

They took the video down. I don't suppose anyone saved it?

E: Here's Pete Santilli talking about it, though. So far I've only got to him calling the family members who called CPS literally Nazis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZC2dq74-_4

E2: Welp, check out the comments (from Blaine Cooper's father):

quote:

randy cooper 3 hours ago
Blaine was never in the Marine Corps...I tried to get him in, but he was to afraid when it came time to sign the papers...I was a Sgt in the Marine Corps and 30 years in law enforcement ....I take exception to be called a Nazi by a so called Patriot that got Blaines kids back...Those 2 girls are my grandchildren and I love them very much...Youmoney know how many times My wife and I bought medicine and groceries for those kids when Blaine had spent all their money on Muscle supplements...Some Patriot!!!!!!!!

and from someone I assume is his brother:

quote:

terry cooper 2 hours ago
You people are all nuts. Who in their right mind would think having their children at a "standoff" would be better than being home where it is warm and they have their own bed and going to school. What kind of parents do that?. And if Blaine and Melissa were such good parents why in the world did they leave their children? All Blaine cares about is the publicity this is getting him. Such a good dad that he let his 6 year old little girl walk home alone from the bus stop because he was too lazy to go get her. Or keep them out of school because he was again to lazy to get them up to go. Why did his girls never want to go home when I had them for a visit? Don't you think that is strange? Most children miss their parent but not these girls. I feel so sorry for my granddaughter and the environment they have had to live in. I pray and trust that GOD will see them through this.

Like the wildlife sanctuary, this seems like a strange hill to want to die on.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 18, 2016

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I'm not even gonna listen to this, I can just imagine the argument.

HOW DARE THEY CALL ME AN UNFIT PARENT, JUST BECAUSE I DROVE HUNDREDS OF MILES AWAY TO SUPPORT AN ARMED INSURRECTION AGAINST THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT!

Also :lol: that he's a "how much ya bench" tough guy who backed out of joining the Marines. (I choose to believe that really is his dad because it's funnier that way.)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

While we're on the topic of CPS, here's another article that was linked in those Youtube comments:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/01/05/oregon-rancher-heroes-accused-of-child-abuse.html

I'd wondered why Dusty Hammond, the nephew, had been the one who testified against the Hammonds, as well as why it took so long. Turns out they were super-abusive. This included, when he was 16, them finding that he had carved someone's initials into his chest, then sandpapering them off. That might also explain why it took so long to prosecute -- Dusty was loving terrified of them, and didn't go to the cops until years later when he as an adult.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

theflyingorc posted:

This crime isn't really directly tied to the stuff at the refuge

how so, these nutjobs are from the refuge

how is this kidnapping unrelated?

also wow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZC2dq74-_4

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

skaboomizzy posted:

Pete Santilli is gonna be responsible for all of these yahoos getting 30+ years.

Maybe... maybe he's an FBI plant. :tinfoil:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

What's going to be the straw that breaks the camels back here? Do the FBI go looking for these kids now? Probably not. If I was a local I'd be terrified, these asses have basically been given a safe base in a game of tag. They could go into town and straight rob and rape people, make it back to the compound before the cops show up and you're good!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Grem posted:

What's going to be the straw that breaks the camels back here? Do the FBI go looking for these kids now? Probably not. If I was a local I'd be terrified, these asses have basically been given a safe base in a game of tag. They could go into town and straight rob and rape people, make it back to the compound before the cops show up and you're good!

I think the biggest problem is that the militia crew is breaking laws that many conservatives don't necessarily agree with. Child abuse is perfectly acceptable to a relatively large chunk of Christianity and these guys are definitely of the "religious authority trumps federal/state authority" persuasion. They're conveniently breaking all the laws that sum up into nice sound bites to be played on Fox News and to turn the tide of the uneducated masses in their favor.

Arrested for stealing Federal property? "Peaceful protestors arrested for using public property."

Charged for kidnapping their kids from CPS? "Protestor arrested for trying to reunite family."

The moment they attack another "good, Godly family" you're going to see their wall of support wash away immediately, followed by a thousand conservative radio stars calling Obama a pussy for not just leveling the compound and slaughtering the militants and their families like the terrorists they are. As long as they're loving with the feds, however, they got a free pass.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.
So this Blaine Cooper business:

CPS, at the request of extended family, goes in and takes the kids into their custody.
Someone apparently from law enforcement goes to wherever they've been placed and removes them.
They (with Melissa Cooper) then go to the airfield near Burns and hop on a plane to "somewhere safe".

Is this about right?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

edit: FWIW it's possible (though I wouldn't bet on it) that Finicum and his wife were excellent foster parents. Being bad at one thing doesn't translate to others, necessarily, and foster parents are in short supply. My main suspicion otherwise would be the propensity for homeschooled brainwashing in the sovcit movement.

It's extremely loving unlikely that they are good foster parents.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Ripoff posted:

I think the biggest problem is that the militia crew is breaking laws that many conservatives don't necessarily agree with. Child abuse is perfectly acceptable to a relatively large chunk of Christianity and these guys are definitely of the "religious authority trumps federal/state authority" persuasion. They're conveniently breaking all the laws that sum up into nice sound bites to be played on Fox News and to turn the tide of the uneducated masses in their favor.

Arrested for stealing Federal property? "Peaceful protestors arrested for using public property."

Charged for kidnapping their kids from CPS? "Protestor arrested for trying to reunite family."

The moment they attack another "good, Godly family" you're going to see their wall of support wash away immediately, followed by a thousand conservative radio stars calling Obama a pussy for not just leveling the compound and slaughtering the militants and their families like the terrorists they are. As long as they're loving with the feds, however, they got a free pass.

Disband all (especially religious) homeschooling, save the most necessary of cases; mandate Red Corners to Communist Kenyan Overlord Obama in every home.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

So am I right in saying that the Bundy Bunch has officially crossed into "not funny" territory?

Grem posted:

At this point, it's only a matter of time before someone else is killed because nobody has done anything to do much as hinder these armed lunatics.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Seriously, even at the risk of the authorities tipping their hand to the Bundy Krew, can there be an official line or confirmation from the FBI that they're doing something about this besides playing solitaire and waiting it out?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

People have said itt like 100000 times that they cant shut the power off cause it will also turn the power off for innocent locals. So they'd have to go on or close to the refuge and physically cut the wire. If you cant figure out why they wont do that, you're actually dumb.

Also, they apparently have generators and stolen fuel for them. So itd be pointless.

Is there any reason they can't cut the power and provide generators to the affected locals?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

mugrim posted:

Is there any reason they can't cut the power and provide generators to the affected locals?

Last I heard, they didn't want to "escalate" the situation by cutting power. Providing generators may or may not be budgeted.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 18, 2016

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Seriously, even at the risk of the authorities tipping their hand to the Bundy Krew, can there be an official line or confirmation from the FBI that they're doing something about this besides playing solitaire and waiting it out?

Ok, but you have to promise not to tell them.

Geostomp posted:

At this point, it's only a matter of time before someone else is killed because nobody has done anything to do much as hinder these armed lunatics.

Did someone get killed?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Perfectly Safe posted:

Did someone get killed?

No, but some children were kidnapped from CPS. There's no one stopping them from doing anything at all, and they're lunatics with guns.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Perfectly Safe posted:

Did someone get killed?

Sorry, "else" was a typo.

Roland Jones posted:

No, but some children were kidnapped from CPS. There's no one stopping them from doing anything at all, and they're lunatics with guns.

They have escalated to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Geostomp posted:

Sorry, "else" was a typo.

They have escalated to this.

no you see if they are ignored they won't escalate, that'd just make them look bad in the press

btw, this has never been funny. these psychos may not be the brightest of the bunch, but they are mad and they've got guns, and when they notice the feds are doing nothing they are going to feel free to break plenty of laws. the longer this is ignored the worse they will get. they literally believe they have the authority to conduct courts and sentence people to death, and it may be only a matter of time before they try to exercise that imagined authority

• Locked thread