Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Is it even possible to install an older version of Mac OS on a Mac than whatever one it came with? I don't think so

that's because if your mac can run the latest OS X you'd never go back because it's a good OS

whereas a significant portion of the Windows user base does not want 8/8.1/10 because it is in fact a pos os

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

mishaq posted:

that's because if your mac can run the latest OS X you'd never go back because it's a good OS

whereas a significant portion of the Windows user base does not want 8/8.1/10 because it is in fact a pos os

Windows 7 was great and basically the best windows. To bad it was only around for like a couple of years while we were stuck with XP for 11

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
7 -> 8.1 -> 10 is the logical upgrade path and using anything else except for compatibility reasons is stupid.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I won't believe they care about stopping platform fragmentation until they killbit XP.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

the linuxisation of windows and worrying whether the motherboard you're considering has drivers.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
then again, who the gently caress cares about the turbonerd minority who still build computers out of parts.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

then again, who the gently caress cares about the turbonerd minority who still build ever built computers out of parts.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I feel sorry for you. never felt that visceral ecstasy of a freshly assembled monster rig posting for the first time. fans whirring. a single beep. there will be time to wire up the led case lights later, gotta install my games

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
today my compy updated windows 10 and now my wireless adapter doesnt work and theres a pic of the beetles as my lock screen. thanks windows

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

AWWNAW posted:

I feel sorry for you. never felt that visceral ecstasy of a freshly assembled monster rig posting for the first time. fans whirring. a single beep. there will be time to wire up the led case lights later, gotta install my games

the BIOS error message about no boot disk. the tedious windows install. the product key not working.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

theultimo posted:

Yup that's a thing

Anti adblock anti adblock killers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw3G80bplTg

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

PleasureKevin posted:

the BIOS error message about no boot disk. the tedious windows install. the product key not working.

the fan error because you bought a quiet one that spins slower than the stock fan

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

what the gently caress

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
welp, I'm now getting notifications on Windows 10 of random "people" adding me as a contact. this is despite the fact I have never once configured or used the windows 10 skype app. I had to go into it to tell it to stop notifying me. to get to the the setting to change the notifications in their app you get redirected to a webpage.

thanks MS :thumbsup:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Dislike button posted:

what the gently caress

I saw someone mention this and thought they were kidding

gently caress you ms

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
wait did MS update everyone's lock screen to advertise some beatles poo poo on their store?

i just setup a windows 10 shitbox laptop for someone recently and noticed it had some weird online theme thingy in the settings. good grief if they're pushing that poo poo on everyone.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

what does your heart tell you?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

wait did MS update everyone's lock screen to advertise some beatles poo poo on their store?

no

it probably happens if you use that bing of the day image whatever instead of your own image, the beetles promo just happens to be in the queue if you didn't customize

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

you can disable the lock screen and just have it show the password screen

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i like the bing daily picture

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

This is a 100% good idea from both a consumer and business standpoint.

Is it even possible to install an older version of Mac OS on a Mac than whatever one it came with? I don't think so

modern versions of OSX own tho while windows 10 is a dumpster fire

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

TerminalRaptor posted:

welp, I'm now getting notifications on Windows 10 of random "people" adding me as a contact. this is despite the fact I have never once configured or used the windows 10 skype app. I had to go into it to tell it to stop notifying me. to get to the the setting to change the notifications in their app you get redirected to a webpage.

thanks MS :thumbsup:

if you took the express settings during setup, it enables skype which also runs all the time in the background

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
christ im glad to be a mac guy and not have to deal with any of this

it sounds like windows is a mega POS even more than ever and in newer and more craptastic ways

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dolomite posted:

if you took the express settings during setup, it enables skype which also runs all the time in the background

lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

even the windows installer now has bonzi buddy stealth installs

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
why wouldn't you want to install Skype For .NET Passport Powered By Bing Brought To You By The Black-Eyed Peas

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Space-Pope posted:

why wouldn't you want to install Skype For .NET Passport Powered By Bing Brought To You By The Black-Eyed Peas

Pump it. LOUDER

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Goddam WATER COOLING ON A PHONE WHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3GwRgSgv84

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

im the destroyed copper tubing at 1:10

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

snapdragon 810 is hot as gently caress (also screaming about a lil closed loop heat pipe, lol)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

That's a heat pipe, not a blinged-out water pump and fridge unit or something. Even game consoles and convertible laptops have those now.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That's a heat pipe, not a blinged-out water pump and fridge unit or something. Even game consoles and convertible laptops have those now.

weird u can't see why it's normal for a laptop or game console to have one and rly dumb that a phone needs one

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also bet that heatpipe isn't enough to stop the 810 from violently throttling after 5 minutes under load still

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

theultimo posted:

Groove it. LOUDER

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Stux posted:

weird u can't see why it's normal for a laptop or game console to have one and rly dumb that a phone needs one

Game consoles are expected to last more than two years and a drop is a roll of the dice for a phone anyway.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Who cares, phone is terrible with or without a heat pipe

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Game consoles are expected to last more than two years and a drop is a roll of the dice for a phone anyway.

what

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

osx is absolutely terrible. especially the latest one. thats why they called it el crapitan. windows 10 is great and the only people not upgrading from windows 7 are the highly autistic. those are the same people who refused to upgrade from win2k

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im not upgrading from windows 7 yet. im also highly autistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

osx is absolutely terrible. especially the latest one. thats why they called it el crapitan. windows 10 is great and the only people not upgrading from windows 7 are the highly autistic. those are the same people who refused to upgrade from win2k

*pretends windows 8 and 8.1 never happened*

• Locked thread