Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

Anyone else unable to connect to the servers?

It sat longer than normal on Connecting for me, but it eventually worked and they do seem to be up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

lesbian baphomet posted:

Ghost Factory costs TP and iirc it only gives Decoy 3 at max rank, on the bright side it affects the whole party. Ghostwalker gives Decoy 5 (which with secondary/tertiary cooldown I guess could become decoy6/7, if the cooldown bonuses allow that), which avoids more instances of damage, and costs nothing. With infinite overdrive to be able to put it back up before it expires, that makes you invincible to anything that doesn't spam a lot of multi-hit attacks to knock the decoy off before the cooldown comes back up (not counting spike, reflect, etc, but that's crap you'd have to augment specifically for anyway). Though with the Fast Forward skill, going from melee->ghostwalk makes running out of Decoy especially unlikely.

I use a photon saber combo build instead of Blossom Dance, but I'm pretty sure the reason people use blossom dance (on top of it being a generally strong melee ability) is because for some reason the game's only named ultimate ground weapons are boring rear end plain ol Longswords.

Ah, that's the exact build I'm going for (I think?). Would you mind telling me some details about your build? I assume you're running some Arts: Gain TP augs, and stacking melee arts that do more damage in melee combos (with Fast Forward, etc.)?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

Ah, that's the exact build I'm going for (I think?). Would you mind telling me some details about your build? I assume you're running some Arts: Gain TP augs, and stacking melee arts that do more damage in melee combos (with Fast Forward, etc.)?
Yeah sure. I don't think everything is perfectly optimal, but it's fun and works well.

Dual guns - Arts: TP Gain Up as a latent and another as an augment, Nullify Beam Reflect XX (not strictly necessary, but I like having it on because I usually accept invites to Telethia Plume), and Beam Attack Plus XX.
Attribute specific augs are for some reason extremely easy to craft, even the XX tier.

Beam saber - Three of the best Weapon Attack Power Up augs that I have (Melee Attack Up is better until you get a weapon with >150 base attack).

Armor - One Max TP XX (crafted it at like lv15 so the materials should be easy), one Extend Overdrive XX (i don't remember what the materials were for this one so it probably wasn't too hard to get), and filled out the rest with the best Potential augs I've got.
If you're able to comfortably infinite overdrive without the extend or the TP up (or you have them as latent abilities) then you could get more damage by replacing them with more Potential Up/Potential Boost.

Arts - Starlight Duster, Starfall Rondo, Starfall Blade, Starfall Blossom, Astrolibrium, Primer, Ghostwalker, Astral Heal
I could be using Galactic Cataclysm since this is a beam build, but I don't feel like my Potential is high enough yet to make it worth the time it takes to use. The easiest things to sacrifice for it would probably be Starfall Blossom or Astral Heal, but like having multi-hits to help build overdrive count, and I like having a heal to save myself and others during the global nemesis missions. If you had an Ether or Gravity saber instead, you could use pretty much this same setup but probably replace Astrolibrium with Astral Horizon for even more party healing.

Skills: Beam Boost, Fast Forward, Supreme Sword, CQC Master.
Pretty self-explanatory, just melee combo boosts plus an element boost. Crit isn't that powerful on its own, so CQC Master wouldn't be worth using if I didn't also have Primer to increase crit damage. Staying as Galactic Knight instead of going back to Drifter because I don't feel I urgently need a fifth skill slot and because I like the bonus stats from GK. If this were an Ether build instead of Beam, going Drifter and adding Core Crusher would probably be the best move.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lesbian baphomet posted:

Yeah sure. I don't think everything is perfectly optimal, but it's fun and works well.

Dual guns - Arts: TP Gain Up as a latent and another as an augment, Nullify Beam Reflect XX (not strictly necessary, but I like having it on because I usually accept invites to Telethia Plume), and Beam Attack Plus XX.
Attribute specific augs are for some reason extremely easy to craft, even the XX tier.

Beam saber - Three of the best Weapon Attack Power Up augs that I have (Melee Attack Up is better until you get a weapon with >150 base attack).

Armor - One Max TP XX (crafted it at like lv15 so the materials should be easy), one Extend Overdrive XX (i don't remember what the materials were for this one so it probably wasn't too hard to get), and filled out the rest with the best Potential augs I've got.
If you're able to comfortably infinite overdrive without the extend or the TP up (or you have them as latent abilities) then you could get more damage by replacing them with more Potential Up/Potential Boost.

Arts - Starlight Duster, Starfall Rondo, Starfall Blade, Starfall Blossom, Astrolibrium, Primer, Ghostwalker, Astral Heal
I could be using Galactic Cataclysm since this is a beam build, but I don't feel like my Potential is high enough yet to make it worth the time it takes to use. The easiest things to sacrifice for it would probably be Starfall Blossom or Astral Heal, but like having multi-hits to help build overdrive count, and I like having a heal to save myself and others during the global nemesis missions. If you had an Ether or Gravity saber instead, you could use pretty much this same setup but probably replace Astrolibrium with Astral Horizon for even more party healing.

Pretty self-explanatory, just melee combo boosts plus an element boost. Crit isn't that powerful on its own, so CQC Master wouldn't be worth using if I didn't also have Primer to increase crit damage. Staying as Galactic Knight instead of going back to Drifter because I don't feel I urgently need a fifth skill slot and because I like the bonus stats from GK. If this were an Ether build instead of Beam, going Drifter and adding Core Crusher would probably be the best move.

If you've got your classes maxed out, switch back to Drifter. It lets you use a full five Skills.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you've got your classes maxed out, switch back to Drifter. It lets you use a full five Skills.

I mentioned that under the skills bit. I don't have any Potential XX or Attack XX augments yet (they're all at V), so I really don't like eating the attack+accuracy+potential loss that would come from switching to drifter. Plus there's just not a fifth skill that I feel I need for that setup, like I guess I could take the one that ups potential or the one that ups melee attack or Aura Assault. but eh, gently caress it, not strictly necessary.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also FYI most of my posts from now on are probably gonna be fashion updates because I am avant garde.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I'll note that Secondary Accelerator is pretty good to have. I also use Astral Purge over Heal, as it can be handy to have a green move to melee combo off of to rack up Overdrive count with Duster; and in fights where I think I might actually take damage in(largely just the Yggralith) I'll swap Astrolibrium out for Geolibrium, Geo can keep you alive through a lot of really stupid things.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Unoriginal One posted:

I'll note that Secondary Accelerator is pretty good to have. I also use Astral Purge over Heal, as it can be handy to have a green move to melee combo off of to rack up Overdrive count with Duster; and in fights where I think I might actually take damage in(largely just the Yggralith) I'll swap Astrolibrium out for Geolibrium, Geo can keep you alive through a lot of really stupid things.

I used to do this, you're right about Purge being a nice way to start the melee combo with the green count boost. Ever since i found the dual guns with Arts: TP Gain built in, though, I've just been using Heal for that same purpose, since the TP generation off of a melee combo becomes so high that the cost of Astral Heal almost stops mattering. Side effect is that you can just heal yourself directly when necessary instead of replacing a damage aura with Geo.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I've generally found that being able to remove debuffs from lowly skell users comes up more often than the need for burst healing.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Thanks for your help ImpAtom but I wasn't able to make any noticeable improvement against the final boss, I ended up reloading my save file and returning after reaching level 50, with better gear, and a fourth party member - it was a cakewalk

Overall, a pretty great game.
I've heard you unlock real time synchronous multiplayer upon finishing the story, so I'm pretty sure I'll still be playing this for a while yet to come

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

so i bought this because i saw a video of someone fighting a giant dinosaur and my god the combat is basically impenetrable and the explantion is nil.

im not not having fun but i feel like i'm just playing mmo style whack a mole with cooldowns.

guess i'll read the manual

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Deviant posted:

so i bought this because i saw a video of someone fighting a giant dinosaur and my god the combat is basically impenetrable and the explantion is nil.

im not not having fun but i feel like i'm just playing mmo style whack a mole with cooldowns.

guess i'll read the manual

Yeah, this is a "read the manual" game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, this is a "read the manual" game.

Yep. Once you get a feel for it, the combat is quite good but it can be overwhelming at first with an odd combination of "what are all these things going on" and "I don't even have a lot of options to change things up." When you figure out how soul voices, TP, and overdrive generally work, you'll be in a spot where you can kick plenty of butt but you gotta read that manual.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The manual is not remotely as chock-full of useful information as people say it is, and it's also boring. I'm casting my vote against reading the manual.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

wait, after completing the last chapter I received an item: Lao's Body (if I remember correctly) but I can't find it anywhere in my inventory...?

[edit]ah, it was a hologram to display in the barracks[/edit]

I didn't read the manual, but I did play Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 18, 2016

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Redacting that last reply - i tried going Drifter and adding Aura Assault to the skill setup for kicks, and despite the lower stats, now I'm doing about 50% more damage than before. So uhh yeah, it's good and I suppose worth keeping.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Supercar Gautier posted:

The manual is not remotely as chock-full of useful information as people say it is, and it's also boring. I'm casting my vote against reading the manual.

This is the one game I wish I had a paper manual for it. So much in there is a "Key" to different maps and etc and I need to be able to look at it all the time, dammit.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

.TakaM posted:

Thanks for your help ImpAtom but I wasn't able to make any noticeable improvement against the final boss, I ended up reloading my save file and returning after reaching level 50, with better gear, and a fourth party member - it was a cakewalk

Overall, a pretty great game.
I've heard you unlock real time synchronous multiplayer upon finishing the story, so I'm pretty sure I'll still be playing this for a while yet to come

The spoiler text, this true? I would actually finish the game if so.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I am about 30 hours in and just got my skell. Is it viable to just use it for getting around and stick to ground combat? I felt like I was just getting the hang of that and want to stick with it.

I continue to be blown away by the environments in this game. I've only been on the first three continents and at first it was pretty and impressive but that wore off pretty quickly as it felt like generic plains, generic giant rainforest, generic rocky desert. It wasn't until quests started to have %age scouted requirements that I was really forced to really explore some of these regions and began to appreciate just how much had gone into them and how much variety they'd squeezed out of these "generic" environments. The scale and scope are pretty impressive. As someone who enjoys exploration in games I could have happily played this with no story and minimal combat.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

.TakaM posted:

You can do the global nemesis missions and squad missions at any point in the game, if that's what you're thinking of. But as far as I know those are the only instances of what you're talking about (also not entirely sure why that would qualify as a spoiler)

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 18, 2016

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Gravy Jones posted:

I am about 30 hours in and just got my skell. Is it viable to just use it for getting around and stick to ground combat? I felt like I was just getting the hang of that and want to stick with it.

Some of the larger flying enemies will generally stay too far out of reach to be do-able with a ground character, but otherwise yes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

If you just want to play the game without messing around (augments, etc etc) then you might find it hard to kill the bigger enemies without your skell. Mostly because they have ridiculous amounts of HP and it gets boring. Like I do a lot of damage on foot but having 4 characters doing 40k damage all at once in their skells is hard to beat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gravy Jones posted:

I continue to be blown away by the environments in this game. I've only been on the first three continents and at first it was pretty and impressive but that wore off pretty quickly as it felt like generic plains, generic giant rainforest, generic rocky desert. It wasn't until quests started to have %age scouted requirements that I was really forced to really explore some of these regions and began to appreciate just how much had gone into them and how much variety they'd squeezed out of these "generic" environments. The scale and scope are pretty impressive. As someone who enjoys exploration in games I could have happily played this with no story and minimal combat.

I'm rather impressed by how well the world scales up. Your first shlep to base is a bit of a trek since you've got no reference points. Then you get a map and teleports and can start getting a sense of the geography while you trek around. Then you get Skels, and now you can bound up cliffs that meant big detours before, and sprint from one side of a zone to the other in nothing flat. Particularly once I learned to zoom out the camera, the default is a bit too close to the skel to see anything but robot. But even once you're on skel scale you can go back to human for caves or just to appreciate how big things are. It's really neat.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Bruceski posted:

you get a map and teleports

oh thank god

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Deviant posted:

oh thank god

You see all those places in NLA and out in Mira marked with a little brown ring around them and a square in the bottom-left corner on the Gamepad map? Try poking one with your finger.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You see all those places in NLA and out in Mira marked with a little brown ring around them and a square in the bottom-left corner on the Gamepad map? Try poking one with your finger.

I've literally only just killed the first tyrant and planted the probe

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Deviant posted:

I've literally only just killed the first tyrant and planted the probe

You should have at least 4 travel points in NLA, barracks, shops, and the quest board to say the least.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

If you're playing the game ONLY using the pad I could see you missing them pretty easily.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

FeyerbrandX posted:

You should have at least 4 travel points in NLA, barracks, shops, and the quest board to say the least.

I don't have a blade ID yet so I don't think I can use or travel to any of those things but anyway.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

lesbian baphomet posted:

Thanks for this! I found out I had the mats to make a Max TP Up Augment, which I didn't realize raises max TP by 3000! :vince: Holy hell. Also the extend overdrive Augment? 25 seconds! Yeah... working on getting the Arts: Gain TP augs now and I'm already seeing a difference. Thanks very much for the help. Ground combat is fun again! :D

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I'm level 50. Currently grinding Alexa Affinity so I can finish her affinity quests and get her cheaper skells. Is there an easier way to fill those hearts?

I want to be broken on the ground (mostly Photon Saber) and in the skells in terms of damage and survivability. What should I be focusing on to get there?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dishwasher posted:

I'm level 50. Currently grinding Alexa Affinity so I can finish her affinity quests and get her cheaper skells. Is there an easier way to fill those hearts?

I want to be broken on the ground (mostly Photon Saber) and in the skells in terms of damage and survivability. What should I be focusing on to get there?

Have you finished Chapter 12 yet? If so, go do some support missions; specifically the ones that raise affinity.

For ground combat, the easiest way to get a broken build is make an infinite overdrive build and spam Ghost Walker.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

So how does targeting work? Because I thought I was going to toggle my target right to a sub-appendage of this monster I was fighting, and then I instead swapped next to the level 25 peaceful monster, auto-attacked it, and got murdered.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Deviant posted:

So how does targeting work? Because I thought I was going to toggle my target right to a sub-appendage of this monster I was fighting, and then I instead swapped next to the level 25 peaceful monster, auto-attacked it, and got murdered.

Ever pressed tab in a MMOG? Targetting is like that.(What I'm getting at here is it's kinda poo poo and random)
When you hold down the right top button and then press A or Y it moves to the next available monster and not other parts of the existing monster.

To target a specific bit, move so it becomes your target then press down the right stick. That'll lock it as your target. So you're always attacking the Big Crab Leg or whatever you want.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Also, someone who knows more than me should make a legend of all the Segment map icons.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ChaosArgate posted:

Have you finished Chapter 12 yet? If so, go do some support missions; specifically the ones that raise affinity.

Seconding this. If you are close to finishing Chapter 12, just pull the trigger and then do the affinity support missions. Each time you do it takes about 3-10 minutes depending on how much damage you output and it gives you a large chunk of a heart with each party member each time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deviant posted:

Also, someone who knows more than me should make a legend of all the Segment map icons.

They represent the thing you need to count that area as complete, keep ind mind:

Sparkley box: There is a Mechanical/Biological/Archeological treasure you need to find in that area.
Monster Face: Tyrant
Piece of Paper: A regular mission must be completed
Hands Holding: An affinity mission must be completed.
A Probe: A probe must be installed
Gold Icon: Recon of that segment is complete.

There can be tyrants in areas without monster faces or treasures in places without sparkley boxes, they just don't count for the recon of that segment.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Piece of Paper: A regular mission must be completed
Hands Holding: An affinity mission must be completed.

Just to be clear here (because I was really confused when I started) it means a mission or affinity mission ENDS in that square. Occasionally a normal mission will start there but not usually.
Saving you from scouring the place, especially if you played the first game!

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Deviant posted:

Combat targeting can be a bit of a pain because the target switching can only swap between different enemies. The only way to target specific appendages is by being in the right spot to see them, and once the appendage health icon appears you can click in the right stick to lock onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Also keep in mind that you can't establish or break a lock if the SV QTE is currently up. It also prevents the use of the overdrive button.

It's rather obnoxious.

• Locked thread