Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's better in the format where you can actually drop it on turn 3.

Okay, I'll let everyone know this completely unrelated point thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Okay, I'll let everyone know this completely unrelated point thanks

Did you mean it was a better Clique or Clique's effect but better?

One's completely related and the other's not.

E: looks like I read your post incorrectly.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 18, 2016

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Skyl3lazer posted:

So Grand Prix DC has a 75$/head price, meaning its $225 per team.

loving :laffo:

Just for comparison, GP Vancouver (the end of this month) is $60 Canadian. a.k.a. 41 american dollars. For a sealed pool, playmat, SFM, and $20 off a sunday event. (232 seats left, get in nerds I don't want to be lonely at a GP).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

Just for comparison, GP Vancouver (the end of this month) is $60 Canadian. a.k.a. 41 american dollars. For a sealed pool, playmat, SFM, and $20 off a sunday event. (232 seats left, get in nerds I don't want to be lonely at a GP).

I'll get in in spirit

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lottery of Babylon posted:

They've had 12 shocks in standard before and it never caused any problems. (Burst Lightning, Galvanic Blast, and Shock in Zendiscars super-standard.)

Turns out that Oops All Shocks would actually be a pretty bad deck.

Didn't that Standard also have, uh, Lightning Bolt?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Entropic posted:

Didn't that Standard also have, uh, Lightning Bolt?

You're right, that's 16 shocks! How did we ever survive that critical mass of shocks?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Patrick Dickmann posted:

However, first of all, I want to thank you all for your condolences. I was really touched by your support. One could think that it was a family member who died, not just a card which was banned. But, I want you to know that I am fine and wasn’t planning on playing Twin at the Pro Tour either way, which will be an argument later on. It is not a setback for me and testing continues as it did before.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

That's actually a legitimate Thing. (Doesn't mean $75 a head isn't still ridiculous, though. And transportation is going to be hell.)

Why they didn't just do the Dulles Expo Center or Gaylord at National Harbor again confounds me.

.....?????

I know Metro sucks but, it is literally on a metro line. Like, Green line comes right up into the building

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

So now that GR Tron has lost a bunch of its bad matchups and Bx Eldrazi is becoming a thing, I'm seriously considering putting U Tron together since it's really solid against both of those decks.

What the bloody hell do I do against Zoo and Jund, other than pray?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

This is one embarrassing hobby.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

So now that GR Tron has lost a bunch of its bad matchups and Bx Eldrazi is becoming a thing, I'm seriously considering putting U Tron together since it's really solid against both of those decks.

Hibernation :getin:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The Shortest Path posted:

Incorrect. Blue Tron is now awful against RG Tron because they printed Newlamog. Jund is a bye and Zoo isn't that bad. Play some Spellskites to make your Zoo matchup a lot better.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I really don't think it's a dead deck myself. The explosive hands it had with bloom were considered too fast for the format. Replacing bloom with explore takes it from a turn 2 deck to a turn 3/4 deck before it starts rolling. This makes it hard to compete with infect or a turn 3 karn sometimes but it's still a deck. Just has some worse matchups due to loss of of speed but more fits what they want a modern deck to be.

Replacing Bloom with Explore means you can't actually "go off" before Turn 4 anymore unless you have 2 SSGs on Turn 3. Even then, it's an incredibly fair deck that can no longer gain meaningful traction against Infect/Burn/Tron because your most explosive draw is now much, much worse than theirs. The correct ban for the deck would've been Amulet, which slows down the deck to - at best - a Turn 3 Titan/Hive Mind.

Or just ban Hive Mind.

Either way, I'm thinking I might try to put together Lantern Control or UB Mill next, since most Tron decks have migrated to new Eldrazi that don't have the shuffles.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAXKOCfo90c

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Angry Grimace posted:

It's a 4/4 with Vendilion Clique's effect except better people are gonna loving hate this card.

Want a new card? Have fun killing this loving 4/4.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Did another pre release tonight, this time 2HG. My partner and I went 3-0 to win it easily.

He had UG Eldrazi and I had WB Allies w/ Equipment featuring Outfitter, Masterwork, and Hedron Blade x2. We opened up a whack of playable stuff, including my 4th Thought Knot Seer of the weekend (value!).

One of my prize packs had Kozilek's Return which was awesome. I also traded a Flip Nissa for a Newlamog so I really ended up on top of the weekend despite not doing great on Friday night.

Thanks to opening SO MANY Thought-Knots and getting that Newlamog, as well as pre-ordering Reality Smashers I have everything I need for modern Eldrazi save for the IoKs.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Say you just got 220 dollars worth of Card Kingdom store credit. The only deck you own is modern Naya Burn. Do you:
A) Buy the missing pieces to Norin Soul Sisters because lol why not
B)start building infect because it looks fun but probably won't exist next year
c)Buy three wastelands
D)what the hell do I do with this money I dont know what to do with this money

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
build legacy burn :getin:

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I can't figure out how to incorporate Thought Knot Seer into the Eldrazi deck. I think it goes in Mono-B best but I'm not sure?

This is my build, I think it's working pretty great so far. You just can't lose against any type of non-aggro, non-combo deck. You can get some clunky draws, but that was possible before too.

4 Oblivion Sower
4 Blight Herder
1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
4 Wasteland Strangler
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Relic of Progenitus
2 Scrabbling Claws
2 Dismember
2 Go for the Throat
2 Mind Stone
3 Expedition Map
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3 Eye of Ugin
4 Eldrazi Temple
4 Ghost Quarter
1 Bojuka Bog
7 Swamp
4 Thought-Knot Seer
1 Kozilek, the Great Distortion
SB: 2 Ruin Processor
SB: 2 Pithing Needle
SB: 1 Ratchet Bomb
SB: 2 Thoughtseize
SB: 1 All Is Dust
SB: 2 Flaying Tendrils
SB: 2 Night of Souls' Betrayal
SB: 2 Vampiric Link
SB: 1 Tomb of the Spirit Dragon

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Please explain the Mind Stones half of these lists run

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Rinkles posted:

Please explain the Mind Stones half of these lists run

While i'm definitely not sold on the idea, it's another colorless source that can also help you ramp into a T3 4-drop or 5-drop, while also having cycling value.

Also the deck should probably be running a Wastes for Path / Ghost Quarter value, in the odd cases where that's relevant.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Niton posted:

While i'm definitely not sold on the idea, it's another colorless source that can also help you ramp into a T3 4-drop or 5-drop, while also having cycling value.

Also the deck should probably be running a Wastes for Path / Ghost Quarter value, in the odd cases where that's relevant.

I know the deck is unique in many ways but can any other modern deck afford that kind of air?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Rinkles posted:

I know the deck is unique in many ways but can any other modern deck afford that kind of air?

Skred red runs mindstone

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

It's something to do on turn 2 and it can cycle later if you are flooded. You have a lot of 5 drops and 6 drops, and sometimes you don't draw the best combination of lands (because you can't run 8 eldrazi temple), so it can just give you that 5th or 6th mana one turn earlier. You can also play scrabbling claws and relic of progenitus off of it the turn you play it.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
God, I wish Illusion(tricks are what whores do for money, Michael) Jarrett would release an article Monday that says "we heard your complaints about the splinter twin ban, and we've decided to make a change to the ban list. We're adding Deceiver Exarch and Pestermite to the list as well."

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Brownhat posted:

That's adorable.

You realize nothing in is set will be worth over 10 bucks in a month right? You know that right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You realize nothing in is set will be worth over 10 bucks in a month right? You know that right?

People said that about battle and it didn't happen. Multiformat mythics are usually an expensive thing. 25 bucks is about as good as that gets.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

Bolt doesn't do 4 damage

Nope it does 3. Which kills Pestermite which is also part of the combo? I guess the deck that runs counterspells, value creatures, and tempo control can't possibly survive one more turn before it can go "oops I win", and it's not like Kikki Jikki can't copy a Snapcaster already in play to get counterspells back in play to protect itself, or that if they are dumb and try to bolt it at any point other than in response to your activation of Kikki. And thats also ignoring that tapping down red mana sources with Deciever or Pestermite is certainly a thing. It's almost like a control deck needs to actually PROTECT their win condition with counterspells. Perish the thought. And if they tap out during your turn 5 you still get to go "oops I win". You just have to hold on one more turn. And yes Kikki cost one more red mana. I feel like the deck that plays Blood Moon sometimes can handle that just fine.

You could easily slot in 4 Kikki Jikki's into the Splinter Twin slot, (and if you were running the 1 extra Kikki, put a Keranos in the main), and you still have a very strong modern deck. You still have plenty of interaction early game to fight off Infect, Burn, and pretty much every deck in the format. And you can still make sure turn 3 Karn doesnt happen.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Sigh, should I by Thought-knot Seers now, knowing I missed the boat, or hope for a price drop after a few weeks?

Also, what's the supposed Modern appeal of Warping Wail? I think the only thing I've heard was that it could counter Splinter Twin or exile one of the creatures it targets, which seems redundant since it need only do one or the other for that. Is it just good enough it counters sorceries?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BizarroAzrael posted:

Sigh, should I by Thought-knot Seers now, knowing I missed the boat, or hope for a price drop after a few weeks?

Also, what's the supposed Modern appeal of Warping Wail? I think the only thing I've heard was that it could counter Splinter Twin or exile one of the creatures it targets, which seems redundant since it need only do one or the other for that. Is it just good enough it counters sorceries?

Counters sorceries stops some combo or sweeper type things like scapeshift. Making the scion instant speed EOT means you can untap t3 on a natural tron and cast ugin or blow ostone.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's a colorless hard counter to a spell type that's heavy on the haymaker effects. Countermagic in a non-blue deck is pretty hard to come by, historically, and it does a lot more than "just" counter sorceries.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's incredibly likely that Seer (and most cards not named Kozilek's Return) drops in price once people can actually buy product. If the deck it goes into spikes the pro tour or it wins a major modern tournament it will shoot up, but until then you should have the opportunity to rebuy at a lower price.

And the answer is tron

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Also there are a ton of 0 to 1 power or 1 toughness relevant creatures in modern. Considering that Wizards gives anything they plan to be modern playable 1 toughness, it's never not going to be relevant.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

People said that about battle and it didn't happen. Multiformat mythics are usually an expensive thing. 25 bucks is about as good as that gets.

But it will. Gideon was $40 at one point. Ulamog was $25, then dropped to $12, then only spiked recently. Prerelease prices never hold, and I almost felt sorry for the binder grinders trading for foil Kozilek's Returns at $100 yesterday.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
http://www.mtgstocks.com/cards/3665
:stare:

People really think this deck is A Thing, don't they?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BJPaskoff posted:

But it will. Gideon was $40 at one point. Ulamog was $25, then dropped to $12, then only spiked recently. Prerelease prices never hold, and I almost felt sorry for the binder grinders trading for foil Kozilek's Returns at $100 yesterday.

If you ignore two cards, everything was cheaper than 10 bucks. Got it.

Playble mythics mean not everything is going to be cheaper than 10 bucks.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 18, 2016

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
As someone switching from standard to modern, I just don't get where modern fits into Wizard's picture. How does it make money for them? Why aren't they actually monetizing it in a way that draws players in?

Its so drat expensive and hard to get into the format, why dont the sell more modern products with staples for like 75-80% of secondary market and let me buy them and play? Why not push modern products I can buy to coincide with the Pro Tour and monetize that way? I get they cant profit from modern in the same way as standard, but why not let me give Wizards money to get a modern deck going instead of secondary markets?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

If you ignore two cards, everything was cheaper than 10 bucks. Got it.

Playble mythics mean not everything is going to be cheaper than 10 bucks.

Oh, the under $10 didn't click in for me. Kozilek's Returns will definitely be cheaper than $25 though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

AlternateNu posted:

http://www.mtgstocks.com/cards/3665
:stare:

People really think this deck is A Thing, don't they?

I think it is A Thing or on it's way to being A Thing, but I think too many people think it should be a 4-of. I've used 2 and got annoyed a bunch by the legendary rule, 4 is way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Chairman Pow! posted:

As someone switching from standard to modern, I just don't get where modern fits into Wizard's picture. How does it make money for them? Why aren't they actually monetizing it in a way that draws players in?

Its so drat expensive and hard to get into the format, why dont the sell more modern products with staples for like 75-80% of secondary market and let me buy them and play? Why not push modern products I can buy to coincide with the Pro Tour and monetize that way? I get they cant profit from modern in the same way as standard, but why not let me give Wizards money to get a modern deck going instead of secondary markets?

They printed a Modern event deck 2 years ago but the MSRP was $75 and the deck could be made from singles like a week later for ~$55-60 so they just kinda sat around on LGS shelves waiting to be bought and when they were finally bought it was at like $50 fire sale price.

Who knows if they'll do another.

• Locked thread