Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

jre posted:

Nice casual racism in the ticket thread

Oh come on, of course the Scots are hoarders - they don't even drink their liquor until after they've left it lying about for 10-30+ years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

bitterandtwisted posted:

Had my first visit to a remote site in the Highlands of Scotland. The server room was an Aladdin's Cave of poo poo.

Old hubs, CRT monitors, an overhead projector...

Oh poo poo, this fucker's alive!
I don't want to know what critical system it runs.
You say that's the server room... Is the XP machine "TheServer?"

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Jeoh posted:

#NotAlLScots
ROFL

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

In the interest of preventing a shitstorm, I took my friend back to the office

Seriously, why would you do this?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Jeoh posted:

#NotAlLScots

Ok, I have got to ask. What's the deal with your avatar? Is there a story behind it or something? I've seen it for years but never asked till now.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

RFC2324 posted:

a few pages back, but Star Citizen is a thing now? Like, you can actually play it? :aaa:

The vast majority of the tickets are refund requests :ssh:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nitrogen posted:

Ok, I have got to ask. What's the deal with your avatar? Is there a story behind it or something? I've seen it for years but never asked till now.

While we're at it, can someone please explain the "tetten" avatars?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Volmarias posted:

While we're at it, can someone please explain the "tetten" avatars?

I'm pretty sure there's an explanation in this thread somewhere, I'm looking for it now. I do know that it's German for "tit".

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm pretty sure there's an explanation in this thread somewhere, I'm looking for it now. I do know that it's German for "tit".

Thanks, I'll search there later.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

:tetten: is Flemish for tits. My avatar is Ridder Bauknecht, a comic book character by Jeroom.

Here's the full comic:

"Bauknecht was pampering a damsel.."
"When suddenly" ":tetten:" "Where?!"
"But the short distraction proves fatal to Bauknecht"
"Upon which he mumbles..." ":tetten:"

We changed :tetten: to tuigleven cause goons are tuig in Dutch and a goon saw some tuigleven graffiti irl. We buy lots of stupid poo poo.

CharlieMopps and Sprechensiesexy also have :tetten: avatars.

e: All lurking Dutch/Flemish/Afrikaans (or those learning those languages) goons are welcome in our [url=http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695908]Teutoonse rondjeruk[url]!

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
An interview came in.

We're interviewing a network tech / firewall dude for a SIEM / IPS role. Very similar area of expertise, but very different hardware/policies.

We've been told by higher ups we're not allowed to ask technical questions of the candidate.

What sort of questions are left???

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
"Can you give us an idea of your past work experience?"

Really though, you should ignore that mandate if given the chance because it'll bite you hard. If you're getting handheld with someone else sitting in on the interviews, maybe see if you can go give some technical questions in a followup phone interview behind their back?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

iRend posted:

An interview came in.

We're interviewing a network tech / firewall dude for a SIEM / IPS role. Very similar area of expertise, but very different hardware/policies.

We've been told by higher ups we're not allowed to ask technical questions of the candidate.

So this happened at my last job. We hired a network tech from FedEx. One day he saw a bunch of switches laying in our network admin's closet and asked if he could play around with one. They were old so he said sure, why not.

The new guy commented how heavy the switch was as he carried it out. He plugged it into his ups which started beeping right away. The "switch" was a rack mount ups. He spent 4 hours finding a console cable and trying to configure it. That was his last day.

I'm sure he'll be better than that and that was hardly the sole reason for firing him. But not being able to ask technical questions scares me ever since that.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 18, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Mattavist posted:

Seriously, why would you do this?

Because she's a special snowflake.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

iRend posted:

An interview came in.

At that point I would just have the interview then kick it back to the higher ups that the candidate was declined based on not demonstrating the necessary technical knowledge for the role.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

iRend posted:

An interview came in.

Ask your higher ups why no technical questions, and what they expect you to asses

e: and then report back with their answers here because I'm really curious what their reason is. It's like a puzzle.

We hired a guy and I realized I assumed too much and should have hit harder on some questions, such as "how to you clone a git repo? how do you create a new branch? how do you manage remotes and push a branch to a remote? how do you write a migration to add and remove a db field? how do you setup virtualbox to run ubuntu? how do you setup a mature app on yor new vm?"

:psyduck:

I'm pretty sure they can learn it, but fuuuck I don't want to take my time coaching them on that. I might have to tell them that.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 18, 2016

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

iRend posted:

An interview came in.

Culture fit :sun:

But seriously wtf ?

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I talked with my manager.

He has clarified, in that instead of us asking technical questions, he wants us to pose situations which might arise and ask how the potential employee might deal with them.

Without going into any kind of technical detail.

So, not allowed to ask "Do you know how to configure and troubleshoot an IPS?", but can say "The client says their website is down and you have been called into the conference call. What do you do?"

Slightly less useless than I thought. Still useless. There is no reasoning for this, beyond corporateness. They want us to judge the hire based on potential rather than current skill.

I'M NOT TRAINING UP ANOTHER CLUELESS FUCKWIT ARGH

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've never been an interviewer, but here's an idea:

Maybe hide the questions into a scenario:

"A less experienced technician comes to you for help. The manager of housekeeping can't print a report. The computer is on the network. The Technician is pretty sure that the printer isn't broken because he was able to print a test page from the printer's control panel."
"Talk me through your thought process, and tell me what you'd tell this junior technician."

Change the details around to fit your job description.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've never been an interviewer, but here's an idea:

Maybe hide the questions into a scenario:

"A less experienced technician comes to you for help. The manager of housekeeping can't print a report. The computer is on the network. The Technician is pretty sure that the printer isn't broken because he was able to print a test page from the printer's control panel."
"Talk me through your thought process, and tell me what you'd tell this junior technician."

Change the details around to fit your job description.

The heating has stopped working in the building, diagnosis?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
"A ticket comes in to switch the contents of 20 cubicles to comply with new corporate seating efficiency directives. This is the second like request in two months. What is your response?"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
"Internet no longer works, what do you do?"

"I add the IE shortcut back to the desktop"

"You're hired, when can you start?"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FreshFeesh posted:

"A ticket comes in to switch the contents of 20 cubicles to comply with new corporate seating efficiency directives. This is the second like request in two months. What is your response?"

With a MINIMUM answer of at least five words. To weed out responses like "update my resume" and "go get a drink".

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Renegret posted:

"Internet no longer works, what do you do?"

"I add the IE shortcut back to the desktop"

"You're hired, when can you start?"

I got my first IT job in helpdesk as a student because my first answer to "a user is having password problems, they've tried to log in several times without success. What steps would you take to troubleshoot this?" was "check if caps lock is on" :v:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

With a MINIMUM answer of at least five words. To weed out responses like "update my resume" and "go get a drink".

"Work on updating my resume" and "Go get a drink of bourbon". :colbert:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It sounds like that guy already has the job from someone higher up, they just have to not blow it

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

KoRMaK posted:

Ask your higher ups why no technical questions, and what they expect you to asses

e: and then report back with their answers here because I'm really curious what their reason is. It's like a puzzle.

We hired a guy and I realized I assumed too much and should have hit harder on some questions, such as "how to you clone a git repo? how do you create a new branch? how do you manage remotes and push a branch to a remote? how do you write a migration to add and remove a db field? how do you setup virtualbox to run ubuntu? how do you setup a mature app on yor new vm?"

:psyduck:

I'm pretty sure they can learn it, but fuuuck I don't want to take my time coaching them on that. I might have to tell them that.

He thought the rack mounted ups was a switch? Just clarifying because that's so stupid I had to reread that many times.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Bigass Moth posted:

He thought the rack mounted ups was a switch? Just clarifying because that's so stupid I had to reread that many times.

OHHH, now it makes sense, he plugged an UPS into an UPS.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Email Marketing Manager posted:

If you could run a report of who, how many, what date (from the sales team) is sending BCC blasts of 10+.

The grammar pedant in me has flipped out and killed himself.

Email Marketing Manager posted:

Here’s the collateral on how to do this; it’ll need to be done by the SF admin, thus I’m coming to you. J

Is "collateral" Noveau Corporate Garbage Heap for "documentation" now?

Also, I should look for a GPO to turn off Outlook turning smileys into wingdings or something.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

FireSight posted:

+1 Zendesk and gently caress 'CA Helpdesk'

We use Unicenter, not too bad.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That reminds me. There's a guy at work that pronounces UPS phonetically (as if it's the plural form of the word up). It drives me crazy.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Fortis posted:

Also, I should look for a GPO to turn off Outlook turning smileys into wingdings or something.

Seeing random Js in emails is much better imo.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

KillHour posted:

That reminds me. There's a guy at work that pronounces UPS phonetically (as if it's the plural form of the word up). It drives me crazy.

I used to feel this way about GUI and "gooey" but now I don't really care

mewse
May 2, 2006

KillHour posted:

Big ups to that guy

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Segmentation Fault posted:

I used to feel this way about GUI and "gooey" but now I don't really care
Wait are their actually people who spell out G-U-I? Every single person I've ever met that's had to communicate the concept of a graphical user interface has pronounced it "gooey".

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nexxai posted:

Wait are their actually people who spell out G-U-I? Every single person I've ever met that's had to communicate the concept of a graphical user interface has pronounced it "gooey".

I've heard both and I'm indifferent. I used to be bothered by people who pronounce VoIP like a word, but I grew out of that. I'm sure I'll get used to UPS, too, but for now :bahgawd:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

I've heard both and I'm indifferent. I used to be bothered by people who pronounce VoIP like a word, but I grew out of that. I'm sure I'll get used to UPS, too, but for now :bahgawd:
UPS being pronounced "ups" is stupid, but gooey 4 lyfe

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have no idea how else you'd say "VoIP" unless it's pronouncing it like one word. Spelling out each letter takes forever.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

I have no idea how else you'd say "VoIP" unless it's pronouncing it like one word. Spelling out each letter takes forever.

I've heard people insist on calling it "Voice over IP" but I work at VoIP service company and literally everyone here pronounces it like one word. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Call it "VoIP over IP" and piss everyone off at once.

• Locked thread