Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the combined knowledge of super mario 64 TASers could probably recreate the source code from scratch by this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Plus there's a growing braggadocio in speedrunning where people are trying their damndest to become personalities and get their faces on GDQs, whereas TAS guys happily toil away on robots and would rather spend their time making hour long YouTube videos about how many different ways you can press the A button on an N64 controller, which I respect more.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It's cool stuff. I've been thinking of how to get through bomb omb battlefield without jumps my entire last class.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I think the insane zelda 64 runners are epic in their own right. The way they use the exact spacing of link's moves to set up tricks is badass to me. ZeldaFreakGlitcha is the man and I watched his 100% world record over the past few days.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i skipped all the posts. did anybody ever reproduce that glitch he put up a bounty for

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

absolutely anything posted:

to this day the secret hasn't been found

god dammit

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Street fighter games treat the button press and button release as separate operations. It's not just Mario 64.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
i'm glad to know these are tool assisted because the idea of him manually doing some of this stuff like making the little bug hover or ccreating the floating goomba stairs was making me feel real bad about my gamer abilities.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't think it'd even be possible to do the goomba stairs and a lot of other stuff he does except by accident without TAS poo poo because it's based on multiple single frame inputs consecutively, IIRC.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

At first I was wondering how he was getting perfect footage from different angles but it makes more sense with a TAS.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Me: [alone watching TAS' up at 3am] YASSSS!! TAS!!!!!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Normal person: Tass

Imp [twisted]: Tace

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UDDdbXaGx0

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

In Training posted:

I think TAS people are cooler than speedrunners. Runners are still actually playing a game and practicing tricks and whatnot but TAS ppl are absolutely insane and when they see a video game all they can see is the code behind the Matrix

This

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

....But that's just a theory, a Game Theory, thanks for watching!

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Wisdom.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

oh god!!!!!

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

this is true power

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

This Mario 64 Video blew my mind.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Actually lmfao in the video he says he builds up speed by making Mario collide with a wall and a ceiling element to make the game start accelerating him for some reason my eyes glazed over about but anyway he does this technique for 12 hours to build up a speed with like 8 digits in it which usually Mario has like 50 speed when he's running I guess, for scale.

Idk if you saw the Metroid Prime run at this past AGDQ but there was a new trick discovered similar to a Pedro Spot where you can put Samus in morph ball form and hit a certain element of the geometry that is frictionless due to competing boundaries overlapping and eventually Samus gets such a high speed that she turns into a ball of light and when you leave the frictionless element you're going so fast that the game thinks you are simultaneously touching every single square inch of every currently loaded room, which they use to collect certain items out of order.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
just for the record if i ever discover a spot please don't name it after me.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

your spot wouldn't be anywhere near as powerful as pedro's

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

how many half A presses does this save?

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Highly Unnecessary posted:

how many half A presses does this save?

Are you stupid? That's not what that vid as about. Moron.

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

if it doesn't actively contribute to the 0 A press run dream then what's the point

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

there are many other kinds of run. hes not obsessed with that one particular kind

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Idk if you saw the Metroid Prime run at this past AGDQ but there was a new trick discovered similar to a Pedro Spot where you can put Samus in morph ball form and hit a certain element of the geometry that is frictionless due to competing boundaries overlapping and eventually Samus gets such a high speed that she turns into a ball of light and when you leave the frictionless element you're going so fast that the game thinks you are simultaneously touching every single square inch of every currently loaded room, which they use to collect certain items out of order.

Wow I usually skip the prime 1 runs

Korthal
May 26, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Too bad about your gigantic, tremendously unfunny webcomic OP.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Sick own by the scuttlebug there

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

a lot of work just to make your pet commit suicide

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Korthal posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I don't understand what's happening in this comic

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

I don't understand what's happening in this comic

Mario misaligned his QPUs.

You should watch OP's video.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
can't believe imp zone is so unfriendly to a fellow gamer, just posting some Original Content to liven up a thread. smh.....

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
well what do you expect when he doesn't know the difference between a half A press and a half jump?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

what if super mario brother was drawn all weird and realistic like a normal gross human.... crazy

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've blocked r/creepypasta for a reason (sleep related), and i'd appreciate it not being brought into this forum. thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

what if super mario brother was drawn all weird and realistic like a normal gross human.... crazy