Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Chairman Pow! posted:

As someone switching from standard to modern, I just don't get where modern fits into Wizard's picture. How does it make money for them? Why aren't they actually monetizing it in a way that draws players in?

Its so drat expensive and hard to get into the format, why dont the sell more modern products with staples for like 75-80% of secondary market and let me buy them and play? Why not push modern products I can buy to coincide with the Pro Tour and monetize that way? I get they cant profit from modern in the same way as standard, but why not let me give Wizards money to get a modern deck going instead of secondary markets?

Because WOTC.
They're really gun shy about reprint sets. When they do reprint stuff, the casual cards end up dropping in price permanently but most of the actual staples end up going back up. They played it real safe on the Modern Event Deck and even MM2 seemed to be a bit lacking (compared to MM1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Cernunnos posted:

They printed a Modern event deck 2 years ago but the MSRP was $75 and the deck could be made from singles like a week later for ~$55-60 so they just kinda sat around on LGS shelves waiting to be bought and when they were finally bought it was at like $50 fire sale price.

Who knows if they'll do another.

Of course now the Inquisitions are worth $75 on their own.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BizarroAzrael posted:

Of course now the Inquisitions are worth $75 on their own.

There's only 2 in the deck not a full playset.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Shortest Path posted:

So now that GR Tron has lost a bunch of its bad matchups and Bx Eldrazi is becoming a thing, I'm seriously considering putting U Tron together since it's really solid against both of those decks.

What the bloody hell do I do against Zoo and Jund, other than pray?

The right answer is never "put U Tron together."

AlternateNu posted:

http://www.mtgstocks.com/cards/3665
:stare:

People really think this deck is A Thing, don't they?

It's VERY good. I played about 35 or so playtest games against my buddy (I was on GR Tron) and it felt like playing against the mirror in terms of power level of brokenness. And that was before Thought-Knot Seer was in his deck. T3 Conduit into T4 Ulamog isn't hard to do at all.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Chairman Pow! posted:

As someone switching from standard to modern, I just don't get where modern fits into Wizard's picture. How does it make money for them? Why aren't they actually monetizing it in a way that draws players in?

Its so drat expensive and hard to get into the format, why dont the sell more modern products with staples for like 75-80% of secondary market and let me buy them and play? Why not push modern products I can buy to coincide with the Pro Tour and monetize that way? I get they cant profit from modern in the same way as standard, but why not let me give Wizards money to get a modern deck going instead of secondary markets?

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/the-real-reason-splinter-twin-got-banned

Modern can be profitable for WOTC but so far they have been really too timid about reprints/supplementary products and too aggressive when it comes to bans.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Cernunnos posted:

There's only 2 in the deck not a full playset.

Thought there was three.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BizarroAzrael posted:

Thought there was three.

NOPE

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Sickening posted:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/the-real-reason-splinter-twin-got-banned

Modern can be profitable for WOTC but so far they have been really too timid about reprints/supplementary products and too aggressive when it comes to bans.

That's a really interesting article! It seems like having more options for players added into modern, rather than removing options would be better for long term consumer enjoyment and growing your card game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There is zero reason for Inquisition to not be a FNM promo so at minimum.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

http://www.mtgstocks.com/cards/3665
:stare:

People really think this deck is A Thing, don't they?

Yes. Playing against the deck makes me think Jund and Tron had a Baby. Eldrazi Temple, Eye of Ugin, and Urborg combo has been compared to Workshops. It turns out that combining 2 Cards (Eye of Ugin and Urborg) to make a Eldrazi Workshop is pretty good. And Oath has given Eldrazi some serious value creatures. A turn 2 Thought Knot Seer, followed by a turn 3 Blight Herder (which you can then cash the Scion tokens to get ANOTHER Blight Herder) is a serious threat. And thats not even the most busted stuff the deck can do. Combine that with the inevitabitely of a deck that runs Ulamog and also has ways to tutor for him and it's really strong. Plus it gets

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

mcmagic posted:

There is zero reason for Inquisition to not be a FNM promo so at minimum.

I hope they do more modern FNM promos. They had an excuse last summer with MM2015 so who knows what their next excuse will be.

anglachel posted:

Yes. Playing against the deck makes me think Jund and Tron had a Baby. Eldrazi Temple, Eye of Ugin, and Urborg combo has been compared to Workshops. It turns out that combining 2 Cards (Eye of Ugin and Urborg) to make a Eldrazi Workshop is pretty good. And Oath has given Eldrazi some serious value creatures. A turn 2 Thought Knot Seer, followed by a turn 3 Blight Herder (which you can then cash the Scion tokens to get ANOTHER Blight Herder) is a serious threat. Combine that with the inevitabitely of a deck that runs Ulamog and also has ways to tutor for him and it's really strong. Plus it gets

I've been playing a black list with new cards in it. It gets tricky because Eye + Urborg still can't cast Thought Knot, but other than that, it is sick as hell. Oblivion Sower and Urborg is great because you can snag fetch lands and they don't go to waste.
So uh post your lists people I want to try them out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Basically if you're playing modern, you need to be packing land destruction main deck and more in the board.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Chairman Pow! posted:

The simple answer is that things would be easier for WOTC if you and other players just stuck to Standard, and so they're really not concerned with anything more than a token effort at making Modern more accessible.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
I think I picked the wrong hobby.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Chairman Pow! posted:

I mean, the market isn't as bad as Yugioh's yet. I think.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Ciprian Maricon posted:

The simple answer is that things would be easier for WOTC if you and other players just stuck to Standard, and so they're really not concerned with anything more than a token effort at making Modern more accessible.

Basically. I thought there would be some actual effort with Modern, but fool me once.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Basically if you're playing modern, you need to be packing land destruction main deck and more in the board.

Fulminator Mage is probably too cheap right now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chairman Pow! posted:

Next thread title, anyone?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

Get ready for the Fulminator ban.

WotC's pet deck wasn't actually Twin, but GR Tron.

They love Urza

Evil Urza confirmed for SoI block.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think it is A Thing or on it's way to being A Thing, but I think too many people think it should be a 4-of. I've used 2 and got annoyed a bunch by the legendary rule, 4 is way out.

Im with you 100%, but I also think mono black isnt the best bet for the deck.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think it is A Thing or on it's way to being A Thing, but I think too many people think it should be a 4-of. I've used 2 and got annoyed a bunch by the legendary rule, 4 is way out.

It's hard to find a balance I'm finding. You really want at least Eye in your opening hand to make everything cheaper, and an Urborg just turbo charges it. Of course, duplicates are real bad. Having to crack maps to find either slows you down a bit, and your typical drops aren't quite the same power as Tron's typically are.

I almost think going more pure aggro with the cheaper Eldrazi may be better, and cutting out the sower/herder/processor stuff.

Balon posted:

I think you're right about that. I've seen a couple mono black builds that are using thought-knot and no stranglers, which to me kinda defeats the purpose of mono black. I'm still thinking green may be useful (stirrings, sylvan, and maybe world breaker) but Urborg's such a bonus for these decks and there's nothing in the other colors I can think of that really serves the same function.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 18, 2016

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

alansmithee posted:

It's hard to find a balance I'm finding. You really want at least Eye in your opening hand to make everything cheaper, and an Urborg just turbo charges it. Of course, duplicates are real bad. Having to crack maps to find either slows you down a bit, and your typical drops aren't quite the same power as Tron's typically are.

I almost think going more pure aggro with the cheaper Eldrazi may be better, and cutting out the sower/herder/processor stuff.

I've been thinking less tron, more jund with my build. Go with fat, above-the-curve creatures with the format's best removal. The build I've been testing is BW, running Though Knots, Reality Smashers, Oblivion Sowers, 2 Endless Ones, 1 Newlamog - being white means you get to run RIP main, Paths, and Black's discard package.

Live the dream with Turn 1 Relic, Turn 2 Though Knot, Turn 3 Reality Smasher Turn 4 Sower while your opponent whifs his turn 1 IoK.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Ghost Quarter is the next 5 dollar uncommon.

Eye of Ugin is now over 40 and Stony Silence is over 10. LOL

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 18, 2016

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Commander changes:

The Commander-specific mulligan is gone! We now use regular mulligans like regular goddamn people. The first mulligan is free in multiplayer, which is also part of Magic's normal rules.

You can now generate mana outside of your general's color identity. No more Urborg letting you generate colorless, which wasn't the reason it was changed, because balance-wise who cared, there weren't enough playable colorless-only-costing things to matter. But now it's simpler for players. Like mana burn, it was a rule that was mostly hidden until it mattered in one game, so it's good to get rid of it.

Prophet of Kruphix is banned! This alone might get me to bring out my Commander decks to my LGS again. What an oppressive card. Once the UG player cast it, the game was over, because suddenly every turn was their turn. I've been calling for its ban since it came out.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I had long since taken Celestial Dawn out of my gift goat deck anyway. It was a pretty miserable card.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Balon posted:

I do BW, is that what you mean? Or totally colorless or another combo?

I think part of the answer might be more Expedition Maps, which is also good when you need stuff exiled from yard and can afford to fetch and drop Bojuka Bog. I'm going to start playing with 1-2 Skittering Claws in addition to the set of Relics too, for a little more card draw.

Of course, post-Oath it may no longer be processor-driven and want colorless sources. Might just call for painlands though.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Is there any potential in ramming eldrazi and tron together for colorless wonderland? It would basically remove colored mana from the deck because 24ish lands would be colorless, but seems like it'd be a fun weird deck to gently caress around with.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

BJPaskoff posted:

Prophet of Kruphix is banned! This alone might get me to bring out my Commander decks to my LGS again. What an oppressive card. Once the UG player cast it, the game was over, because suddenly every turn was their turn. I've been calling for its ban since it came out.
Seedborn Muse still in! Suck it nerd.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Ramos posted:

I had long since taken Celestial Dawn out of my gift goat deck anyway. It was a pretty miserable card.

And didn't even work on MTGO, which is the only time I want to play a miserable card.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

Is there any potential in ramming eldrazi and tron together for colorless wonderland? It would basically remove colored mana from the deck because 24ish lands would be colorless, but seems like it'd be a fun weird deck to gently caress around with.

The reason you need colored spells is for consistency and the ability to react to what your opponent is doing. You're not going to find anything like Ancient Stirrings in colorless to help assemble the specific lands you need and you're not going to get any early game disruption without black.

Playing colorless alone is asking for a lot of dead end hands where your opponent steamrolls you over while you do nothing.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
So does anyone else think Sylvan Advocate has the potential to be stupid good? Isn't this guy gonna be the better part of a Tarmogoyf plus an additional upside a lot of the time? Plus recurrable with Ojutai's Command, seems real good to me.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I do BW, is that what you mean? Or totally colorless or another combo?

I think part of the answer might be more Expedition Maps, which is also good when you need stuff exiled from yard and can afford to fetch and drop Bojuka Bog. I'm going to start playing with 1-2 Skittering Claws in addition to the set of Relics too, for a little more card draw.

Of course, post-Oath it may no longer be processor-driven and want colorless sources. Might just call for painlands though.

Yes I run BW. I run 4 Caves as well, but I might not want 4. 1 Waste to grab off a path potentially.

I run 2 RIP main, 3 Relics, 1 Claws, 2 maps. I might be placing too much emphasis on the processing angle but you still really want to shut off decks that like the yard and enable your oblivion sower (and strangers in from the board). As I mention above, the emphasis on this build is more midrange than processor-centric.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

stinkles1112 posted:

So does anyone else think Sylvan Advocate has the potential to be stupid good? Isn't this guy gonna be the better part of a Tarmogoyf plus an additional upside a lot of the time? Plus recurrable with Ojutai's Command, seems real good to me.

6 lands is a lot and it doesn't really do anything otherwise

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

stinkles1112 posted:

Remember Scute Mob and how everyone tried to make it work for a month?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

stinkles1112 posted:

You first have to ask yourself this, he is good enough when his condition isn't met? If the answer is no then he probably won't see play.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

stinkles1112 posted:

No, the payoff isn't good enough. Compare him to Dragonmaster Outcast.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

stinkles1112 posted:

A 2/3 Vigilance isn't bad, but it's no Tarmogoyf. There's a world of difference between being a 4/5 turn 3 and being a 4/5 turn 6.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

stinkles1112 posted:

I think he'll find a home in Abzan Aggro to replace the face-up Den Protector 2-drop

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lottery of Babylon posted:

A 2/3 Vigilance isn't bad, but it's no Tarmogoyf. There's a world of difference between being a 4/5 turn 3 and being a 4/5 turn 6.

Playing as Affinity, I got Inquisition'd yesterday t1, and pitched a Blood Moon into the yard. By turn 3 or so I think my Jund opponent had a 6/7 Goyf on the board. Sorcery, Instant, Artifact, Creature, Land, Enchantment.

This is the stuff that makes Goyf Goyf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

ShaneB posted:

Playing as Affinity, I got Inquisition'd yesterday t1, and pitched a Blood Moon into the yard. By turn 3 or so I think my Jund opponent had a 6/7 Goyf on the board. Sorcery, Instant, Artifact, Creature, Land, Enchantment.

This is the stuff that makes Goyf Goyf.

Which is one of the reasons this Eldrazi deck looks really good in modern - or at least feels good in modern. It shuts off Goyfs and Snapcasters.

The Eldrazi Deck is a little behind because it loses to some of the really quick matchups like Burn, Zoo, or Merfolk, but excels against Control, Tron, Jund, and Junk.

• Locked thread