Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

MSPaintClock posted:

I finally watched all of Legend of Galactic Heroes, it really was amazing.
But where do I go from here?

Someone recommend me something new- here are the precious Animes I love:

Kemonozume (My favorite ever.)
Tatami Galaxy
Mind Games
Ping Pong
Basically everything with Masaaki Yuasas name attached to it

Miyazaki Films
Hosoda Films

Mononoke
Kids on the Slope
Ghost in the Shell
Samurai Champloo
FLCL
Death Note
Trigun
Cowboy BeBop
Space Dandy
Berserk
Flowers of Evil
Sword Art Online

I like good story, animation and artwork. Even if not's anime if you think it fits my interests go for it.

edit: I might try to find where I left off in Monster and finish that, but save me the trouble and just recommend me something new.
May I recommend my favourite anime, k-on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CommissarMega posted:

Been watching Patlabor, and I'm loving the poo poo out of it. Seeing how 'normal' the robots are, as opposed to being superweapons or even military-only vehicles, is something I never knew I'd find appealing. Any other mecha shows like this?

My favourite little touch is the license plates and turn signals on the waist of the Ingrams, just to make them road-legal.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I just started reading Blame and it's basically an art book of super cool industrial architecture and body horror organic robots. The presentation isn't always great because it gets rather confusing, but if you just want some drat good art then this is the thing for you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Knights of Sidonia for a similar feel. The ending is rushed but I didn't hate it

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

MSPaintClock posted:

I finally watched all of Legend of Galactic Heroes, it really was amazing.
But where do I go from here?

I recommend Paranoia Agent. It's a great story with a large cast whose lives all intertwine, and the direction and animation are fantastic.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
It doesn't quite have his usual style, but Yuasa's first job as director was on the pilot for Vampiyan Kids and it's a fun, short watch.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Colonel posted:

Are you watching the Patlabor show, or the OVA + Movies? When you're done with whichever one you're watching, you should also watch the others.

The show, at the moment. How are the OVAs and movies compared to it?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CommissarMega posted:

The show, at the moment. How are the OVAs and movies compared to it?

the first ova hits the same tone in a few episodes, they're mostly comedic but they've also got a lot more tense moments and really cool action. the first movie is a cool detective mystery/action thing, and the second movie is a really slow-moving philosophical political story, all of it is among the best stuff Mamoru Oshii has directed

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If you've seen the first movie, then take that as the tone of the OVA series. A good blend of silly and somber. The second movie, to me, marks Oshii becoming modern Oshii - visually interesting but too heavy with the philosophizing. I think the first film is probably his best since he does that but remembers about pacing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a lot of philosophical stuff in oshii films probably goes over my head but i still thought it was a really cool movie.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

does anybody know which series (or movie) of you're under arrest this is?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7OCJsBRc8E

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

It's the first OVA from 1994.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I have decided I need more mecha anime in my life.

What's a good starting point? I've seen three shows that are mecha genre - Evangelion (I loved how beastly and horrifying the "mechas" turned out to be), Giant Robo (Giant Robo feels suitably GIANT and awe-inspiring) and TTGL (liked how goofy the mechas were, but battles seemed rather arbritrary to me; totally loved the ever-increasing HELL YEAH factor towards the end & the nonsensical scifi aspects, though). Not sure what exactly I'm looking for; I guess I want shows where you feel the sheer weight and size of awesome, earth-shattering war machines, and I've always had a heart for... "pseudo-realism", I guess? I dig that whole scifi aspect where the technobabble is obviously fake, but they try to somewhat acknowledge physics, things break down and are maintained, there's elaborate safety procedures and whatnot, all kinds of stuff that ALMOST make giant mechas seem reasonable.

I've heard good things about Patlabor - maybe I'll start with that series (...or the movie? Not sure how the two are related)!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

What's a good starting point? I've seen three shows that are mecha genre - Evangelion (I loved how beastly and horrifying the "mechas" turned out to be), Giant Robo (Giant Robo feels suitably GIANT and awe-inspiring) and TTGL (liked how goofy the mechas were, but battles seemed rather arbritrary to me; totally loved the ever-increasing HELL YEAH factor towards the end & the nonsensical scifi aspects, though). Not sure what exactly I'm looking for; I guess I want shows where you feel the sheer weight and size of awesome, earth-shattering war machines, and I've always had a heart for... "pseudo-realism", I guess? I dig that whole scifi aspect where the technobabble is obviously fake, but they try to somewhat acknowledge physics, things break down and are maintained, there's elaborate safety procedures and whatnot, all kinds of stuff that ALMOST make giant mechas seem reasonable.

I've heard good things about Patlabor - maybe I'll start with that series (...or the movie? Not sure how the two are related)!

Patlabor is fantastic, but it's strength doesn't really lie with the robots,so to speak. There are 2 Patlabor continuities. The first consists of the roiginal OVA series (clled the Early Days) and all three movies. The second consists of the tv series and the second OVA series (called the New Files). Both are worth watching. I should also mention I'm planning a Patlabor simulwatch sometime later this year, so if thats of interest to you you might want to hold off.

In more general Mecha recommendations, your request of psuedo-realism is a bit tricky. Many series have moments of it but rarely stick to it, so to speak. Nonetheless, here's a short list of good mecha shows:
Gunbuster, and its sequel Diebuster
Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (perfect if you want to dip your feet into gundam)
Shin Mazinger Z (Same director as Giant Robo)
If you're not averse to old manga, I suggest you check out the Getter Robo saga (consisting of Getter Robo, Getter Robo G, Getter Robo go, Shin Getter Robo and Getter Robo Arc). Getter Robo was cited as the main inspiration for TTGL, and it's very easy to tell if you're familiar with both. You might also want to check out the OVA Getter Robo Armageddon if you're unsure about the manga, although I personally dont care for it much.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

There are two timelines for Patlabor but they're only really important because one of them is directed by Oshii.

That timeline is the first OVA and then the movies (Technically movie 3 is part of it too, though it was made many years later without Oshii helming it)

And the other timeline is the TV series and the second OVA.

OVA + the first two movies is the best way to get into the franchise.

As for other shows I'm gonna recommend Shin Mazinger. It's a modern take on one of the oldest mecha around, and it's directed/written by Imagawa who had the same role with Giant Robo. While it's not as excellent as Giant Robo is, it's still a worthy show in its own right.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Torquemadras posted:

Patlabor is more or less a pretty realistic take on the giant robot concept, which in your case I'd say is almost but not quite exactly what you're looking for. Rather than being "About" giant robots, I'd describe it as a police procedural/slice of life series that just so happens to contain giant robots as a prominent element. People have debated the best way to get into the series but for my money the (first) movie's a pretty safe bet.

Alternatively, if you liked Evangelion and Giant Robo, there's always the Big O.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

yes watch patlabor. ova and then the movies. the tv series takes place in a different chronology and is more supplementary than necessary but it's good too. i haven't watched the new files or the third movie so someone else can speak for those.

also watch gunbuster and diebuster.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

don't watch gargantia. you're probably going to stumble upon it because of the madoka connection, but its really bad

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Oh also I forgot, you might wanna check out Daiguard. It's a comedy drama mecha show which plays realism for comedy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sounds like he'd like votoms if he wants pseudo realism, right? Isn't that like the defacto "real robot" series alongside patlabor?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Sounds like he'd like votoms if he wants pseudo realism, right? Isn't that like the defacto "real robot" series alongside patlabor?

VOTOMS is good, but I find it difficult to recommend a 50-ish episode series. also he said he wanted " I want shows where you feel the sheer weight and size of awesome, earth-shattering war machines" and the VOTOMS mechs are tiny and not very impressive power-wise

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Patlabor is more or less a pretty realistic take on the giant robot concept, which in your case I'd say is almost but not quite exactly what you're looking for. Rather than being "About" giant robots, I'd describe it as a police procedural/slice of life series that just so happens to contain giant robots as a prominent element. People have debated the best way to get into the series but for my money the (first) movie's a pretty safe bet.

Alternatively, if you liked Evangelion and Giant Robo, there's always the Big O.

That sounds cool. Patlabor it is, then! Starting with the OVA and let's see where it takes me from there.
I don't know much about Big O; I think I checked the first episode at some point and thought it was kinda dumb...? Not sure. I do remember that it looked extremely stylish, though, and very different from other anime. Might give that one another chance!

Davincie posted:

don't watch gargantia. you're probably going to stumble upon it because of the madoka connection, but its really bad

...oh hey, something else by Gen Urobuchi. Whaddya know.
To be honest, I don't think that guy is as much of a guarantee of a good show as some people might think... I loved the Madoka series, but HATE HATE HATE Fate/Zero (through almost no fault of the script, admittedly!). And I started out hopeful for, and ended up thoroughly annoyed by Psycho-Pass.

Droyer posted:

Oh also I forgot, you might wanna check out Daiguard. It's a comedy drama mecha show which plays realism for comedy.

Nice. Will do.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Vifam.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watch The Big O

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Droyer posted:

VOTOMS is good, but I find it difficult to recommend a 50-ish episode series. also he said he wanted " I want shows where you feel the sheer weight and size of awesome, earth-shattering war machines" and the VOTOMS mechs are tiny and not very impressive power-wise

Ah right, I keep forgetting, having not watched it, that the votoms suits are like 12 feet tall

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd have to believe Macross in its various forms would also count.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

To be honest, I don't think that guy is as much of a guarantee of a good show as some people might think... I loved the Madoka series, but HATE HATE HATE Fate/Zero (through almost no fault of the script, admittedly!). And I started out hopeful for, and ended up thoroughly annoyed by Psycho-Pass.

I like the actual Urobuchi shows, but the ones he was more tangentially involved in, like Gargantia and Psycho-Pass 2, tend to be pretty bad. Aldnoah Zero was probably the best of those, and I still wouldn't call it good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8fw51qtTY4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You know I've never actually heard the full version of that before.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

There were... other lyrics!?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

There's been a bunch of shows after Psycho-Pass that have his name attached to them because he comes up with the concept and writes the first episode, but then the job gets handed off to less competent writers and he gets the blowback. I'm sorry you didn't like Fate/Zero or Psycho-Pass but they're pretty well written shows. Urobuchi is nothing if not competent.

Silver2195 posted:

I like the actual Urobuchi shows, but the ones he was more tangentially involved in, like Gargantia and Psycho-Pass 2, tend to be pretty bad. Aldnoah Zero was probably the best of those, and I still wouldn't call it good.

Was he involved in Psycho-Pass 2 much at all? I thought the whole thing was done by the Fafner guy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Was he involved in Psycho-Pass 2 much at all? I thought the whole thing was done by the Fafner guy.

He was indirectly involved inasmuch as it's a sequel to something he wrote, but yeah, he probably had less direct involvement than with Gargantia and Aldnoah.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I suggest you watch Gunbuster and then Diebuster because Diebuster has the cutest robot in anime.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Checked out the first episodes of Patlabor OVA, Daiguard and Gunbuster.

I gotta say - these three show their age... But I'm not picky. Patlabor was entertaining, and I like how the big mechs were basically big tools. Characters were pretty cool ("Go get your mech yourself, then!" "OKAY" -zooms off on scooter and actually DOES IT-), so I'm definitely gonna check out some more of it. Not too enthralled by Daiguard, honestly - I don't really like the mech's look, but who knows. Might watch this later. And regarding Gunbuster...

...just finished Episode 6. :toot: What the gently caress. That sure were some two and a half hours I meant to spent on work. Instead, I watched the deadliest football of all time, incredibly merciless and unceremonious love interest death, existentially terrifying time dilatation, an astounding amount of anime tiddies and robots doing pushups. Also, the second-best sudden shift to color in anime I've seen. One hell of a ride. Again, it does show its age, but I really didn't care.
In summary: :c00lbert: (or rather :kamina: , I guess?)

Imma watch Diebuster know

ViggyNash posted:

There's been a bunch of shows after Psycho-Pass that have his name attached to them because he comes up with the concept and writes the first episode, but then the job gets handed off to less competent writers and he gets the blowback. I'm sorry you didn't like Fate/Zero or Psycho-Pass but they're pretty well written shows. Urobuchi is nothing if not competent.

I can't disagree with that - those two shows have good stories. And as I mentioned, it wasn't the script that sunk Fate/Zero for me (except for the ATROCIOUS Calvinball battle scenes, but I guess you can blame much of that on the weird established incomprehensible magic rules of the universe). Psycho-Pass was okay, but I got annoyed by several quirks of the story, easy as that; Fate/Zero's problems for me were... Man I could rant forever about that. I hated the first episode on first sight, but then the story was actually compelling and I really liked all the actors in that hosed up battle royale, so I stayed with it. And honestly, I was enthralled. It plain didn't outweigh everything else, though, so I called it quits after episode 17 or so (as I said, I actually liked the story...). I blame the director. Dunno. :shrug:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Checked out the first episodes of Patlabor OVA, Daiguard and Gunbuster.

I gotta say - these three show their age... But I'm not picky. Patlabor was entertaining, and I like how the big mechs were basically big tools. Characters were pretty cool ("Go get your mech yourself, then!" "OKAY" -zooms off on scooter and actually DOES IT-), so I'm definitely gonna check out some more of it. Not too enthralled by Daiguard, honestly - I don't really like the mech's look, but who knows. Might watch this later. And regarding Gunbuster...

...just finished Episode 6. :toot: What the gently caress. That sure were some two and a half hours I meant to spent on work. Instead, I watched the deadliest football of all time, incredibly merciless and unceremonious love interest death, existentially terrifying time dilatation, an astounding amount of anime tiddies and robots doing pushups. Also, the second-best sudden shift to color in anime I've seen. One hell of a ride. Again, it does show its age, but I really didn't care.
In summary: :c00lbert: (or rather :kamina: , I guess?)

Imma watch Diebuster know

I can't disagree with that - those two shows have good stories. And as I mentioned, it wasn't the script that sunk Fate/Zero for me (except for the ATROCIOUS Calvinball battle scenes, but I guess you can blame much of that on the weird established incomprehensible magic rules of the universe). Psycho-Pass was okay, but I got annoyed by several quirks of the story, easy as that; Fate/Zero's problems for me were... Man I could rant forever about that. I hated the first episode on first sight, but then the story was actually compelling and I really liked all the actors in that hosed up battle royale, so I stayed with it. And honestly, I was enthralled. It plain didn't outweigh everything else, though, so I called it quits after episode 17 or so (as I said, I actually liked the story...). I blame the director. Dunno. :shrug:

A tip before starting Diebuster: Go into it with an open mind. It is not more gunbuster, do not expect it to be

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
OR IS IT

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
gunbuster doesn't really "show its age" since it still looks better than the majority of animes today

unless you've got a different meaning of showing age

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the artstyle looks old

has anyone read
Youko x Boku SS

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

No but I watched the first 2 episodes. They were very bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

gunbuster doesn't really "show its age" since it still looks better than the majority of animes today

unless you've got a different meaning of showing age

It's paced in an older fashion and is making tons of references to anime that most people wont recognize today because when they see those references now, they are to Gunbuster.

But it's gorgeous in detail and animation, and if you bail on the first two episodes you are a garbage person, a criminal, and I hate you.

(The movie BR is really, really grainy in a damaged way, though the BR episodes are neat and clean and gorgeous; IIRC the first 4 episodes were printed to 16MM while only the last two were 35MM so the detail on the first 4 eps are a little sparser than the last 2, which are pretty incredible)

Daiguard is not of the same pedigree as Aim for the Top, but it's a fun little anime with a fantastic Op. If it doesn't work for you there's no need to stick with it; it doesn't ramp up in any specifically bombastic way (kokuboguard is fun and fun to say though)

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 19, 2016