Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Measures that failed to make deadlines include the initiative to convert investor-owned utilities to public utilities.

This from the state that Enron hosed over so hard that it elected the Govinator out of desperation?

Trabisnikof posted:

Its not a pipeline that's leaking, it is an underground storage reservoir. So its an old oil field that we filled back up with gas to store it. The well down to this storage reservoir is what is leaking and they're having to drill a second well down to block it at the source.

SoCalGas has completed step 3 and is working towards step 4.

What the gently caress is wrong with you people!? At least we feel resentment and anger at BP every time we scuff up some tar balls from our beaches.

I'm being unreasonable. You put Jerry Brown back in charge. But, drat, pass that drug price relief act, because you really need to even yourselves out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ceiling fan posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you people!? At least we feel resentment and anger at BP every time we scuff up some tar balls from our beaches.

I'm being unreasonable. You put Jerry Brown back in charge. But, drat, pass that drug price relief act, because you really need to even yourselves out.

We'll see. I'm waiting to see how things play out in the long run with the CPUC and if legal charges get filed. At this point, I'm not sure what could be done to more aggressively solve the problem. Evil behemoth or not, this is a literal disaster for SoCalGas and they have no incentive to half-rear end it now.

Part of the deal with the emergency order was it requires stricter monitoring of other gas storage fields. That and it has a mandate in it for the CPUC to make sure SoCalGas pays and it isn't passed on to rate payers. The CPUC seems to be one of the few regulators that might actually be able to do that. One way to find out....

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Ceiling fan posted:

The area it is happening in is right wing (for SoCal that is) and used to ignoring environmental crises.

http://www.thenation.com/article/fields-toxic-pesticides-surround-schools-ventura-county-are-they-poisoning-students/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Susana_Field_Laboratory#Sodium_burn_pits

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-oil-spill-cleanup-extends-to-ventura-county-20150529-story.html

http://articles.latimes.com/2000/may/25/local/me-33987

http://www.vcstar.com/news/local/moorpark/68000-gallons-of-raw-sewage-spill-in-moorpark-ep-696088887-350874861.html

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Noggin Monkey posted:

Any recommendations? Nothing crazy expensive please, bonus points for local flavor.

Near Big Basin, maybe Alice's Restaurant? http://www.alicesrestaurant.com/menu/

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Noggin Monkey posted:

Probably the wrong thread but this is a pretty wide range of California chat; I'm taking my parents on a road trip up from SoCal and we are due to close the day in Big Basin tomorrow evening. I'd like to stop somewhere around there for dinner tomorrow (or on the edge of tech land) and sit out rush hour before making the next leg of our trip up to Napa.

We're doing the Mission Trail, essentially, and have been also sightseeing. My parents are pretty mobile for being late 60s/early 70s but I can't run them too hard.

Any recommendations? Nothing crazy expensive please, bonus points for local flavor.

You'll probably get a better response in the California thread in Tourism and Travel.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Noggin Monkey posted:

Probably the wrong thread but this is a pretty wide range of California chat; I'm taking my parents on a road trip up from SoCal and we are due to close the day in Big Basin tomorrow evening. I'd like to stop somewhere around there for dinner tomorrow (or on the edge of tech land) and sit out rush hour before making the next leg of our trip up to Napa.

We're doing the Mission Trail, essentially, and have been also sightseeing. My parents are pretty mobile for being late 60s/early 70s but I can't run them too hard.

If you are going along the coast, stop at Duarte's Tavern, Pescadaro.

Then go see the Sheep Farm, and the local store with amazing bread.

The whole area is super beautiful and probably looks like Ireland this time of year with the rains.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Thanks all, we just braved traffic and pressed on. It's been amazing driving up the coast behind the rains.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Exactly how popular is the idea of Jefferson State up North? The way it's being reported makes it seem like an idea gaining traction. Is it? Or is it just a bunch of isolationist loonies who nobody takes seriously?

For reference:
http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article53355675.html

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

ChickenRiceNPeas posted:

Exactly how popular is the idea of Jefferson State up North? The way it's being reported makes it seem like an idea gaining traction. Is it? Or is it just a bunch of isolationist loonies who nobody takes seriously?

For reference:
http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article53355675.html

Well, I am going to hazard a guess...

quote:

Jefferson proponents contend that their rural areas lack adequate representation in state government, which has led to over-regulation and environmental policies that decimated their regional economies

... that when they say:

quote:

Now tallying 21 counties among their ranks

... they mean "some people" scattered across those counties.

Like:

quote:

More than 200 people turned out

More people turn out for cute animal funerals than this poo poo.

Also, lol:

quote:

featured a performance of an original song about the “Jefferson state of mind” and the announcement of a gun raffle for those who registered their support online. Speakers railed against government interference.

Good luck in CA.

This is a true truth though. America!

quote:

“We live in a state led by liars,” he said. “They have no empathy

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Is this because 'the man' doesn't let them farm weed on public land?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

CopperHound posted:

Is this because 'the man' doesn't let them farm weed on public land?

That and their mad about the fact that generally California tries to protect its environment; tons of parks and refuges

They want to be able to clear land, overfish rivers, kill whatever they want whenever they want, etc; their our own little cliven bundys

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I've said it before, but Jefferson as proposed would wind up being the poorest state in the nation. Their only real industries are logging and tourism, and without someone to tell them no they'd clear cut the area and kill both industries in one fell swoop.

Nice way to get two more Republican Senators, though. Thankfully most people realize it's a dumb idea and Yreka is too much of a shithole for most people to be convinced it would make a good state capitol.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ChickenRiceNPeas posted:

For reference:

The State of Jefferson has been proposed since 1941. It's not going anywhere and as Litany Unheard said, would be a disaster for everyone living in it.

The website's old layout had nothing but crazy right wing and conspiracy article plastered over it. The new site still has a big infowar link on the front page

https://web.archive.org/web/20150102204858/http://www.jeffersonstate.com/articles.html

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Placer County resident here and yeah they are basically freepers that want to flip guns unregulated, get free land to clear cut and graze pitbulls on and build meth labs/grows and dump arsenic in all the rivers and worship 12 foot tall bronze Ronald Reagan statues (I'm not kidding) whatever get a job freepers.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Keyser S0ze posted:

Placer County resident here and yeah they are basically freepers that want to flip guns unregulated, get free land to clear cut and graze pitbulls on and build meth labs/grows and dump arsenic in all the rivers and worship 12 foot tall bronze Ronald Reagan statues (I'm not kidding) whatever get a job freepers.

yeah i remember last time i was driving up 80 to tahoe, i saw "STATE OF JEFFERSON! LOWER TAXES! MORE FREEDOM!" signs every other bumfuck little town

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Santa Cruz, CA is doing municipal fiber to the home. (Second article)

Instead of doing fiber to the rich-person neighborhoods they seem to be doing fiber to every household. Interesting to see what happens, besides it raising the rents even more as people from Silicon Valley get to work from home instead of commuting up to San Jose.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I had missed that Google Fiber only ran to wealthy neighborhoods; I had assumed that they extended to the town. :-(

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I had missed that Google Fiber only ran to wealthy neighborhoods; I had assumed that they extended to the town. :-(

Ehhh it's not really that simple.

IIRC they run to any neighborhood in their supported area where more than XX% of the neighborhood agrees to sign up (which involves an installation fee). This is so they don't run to a neighborhood and only have three subscribers or something. After the fee is paid, you can even get free internet off of it. They also do things like wire up schools for free.

The required installation fee may prove to be too much for some neighborhoods, so that might have an effect of pricing out poorer ones, but it's not like Google's going out and saying "sorry you're too poor we're not supporting you".

Edit: http://www.fastcompany.com/3036659/elasticity/lessons-from-googles-first-rollout-of-google-fiber has some more details.

quote:

Swanson’s blog post argued that Fiber is "available to anyone in a fiberhood who wants it, regardless of income." This is still untrue in Kansas City for a couple reasons.

The first is price. Even though Google Fiber offers a comparatively low price point for high-speed Internet service, it’s not low enough for many. "Google says they wanted to help with the digital divide, but I don’t think they realized what that meant and what little impact they would have," said Michael Liimata, president of local nonprofit Connecting for Good. "Google Fiber is turning out to be a product for middle-class folks who are already using the Internet." Liimatta said.

The second is access. Homeowners have to give permission for Google Fiber installation—something not all renters and nobody in public housing can do. Overall, poor people tend to rent more and move more. The Kansas City, Mo., school district anticipates 40% of their students—most of which who qualify for free or reduced lunch—will move at least once during the year, Liimata says.

Renters’ landlords often will not pay the installation cost of $300, despite the fact the deal guarantees Internet at that residence for seven years. (In Austin, another Google Fiber city, Google offers some people in public housing the option to sign up.)

Another issue in the digital divide is perception: high-speed Internet often isn’t seen as a necessity. "People focus on feeding people, finding jobs, those end-state social services," said Kansas City Digital Drive Managing Director Aaron Deacon, who heads up a regional effort to make the best use of fiber technology in both states. "There’s a little bit of a gap still, in people understanding how using technology tools can achieve those end goals." (On that front, Google has made progress, greatly raising the profile of their product in poorer KC neighborhoods.)

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 18, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Ehhh it's not really that simple.

IIRC they run to any neighborhood in their supported area where more than XX% of the neighborhood agrees to sign up (which involves an installation fee). This is so they don't run to a neighborhood and only have three subscribers or something. After the fee is paid, you can even get free internet off of it. They also do things like wire up schools for free.

The required installation fee may prove to be too much for some neighborhoods, so that might have an effect of pricing out poorer ones, but it's not like Google's going out and saying "sorry you're too poor we're not supporting you".

The original problem (at least for KC) was that the system to show that a neighborhood was interested was only available online. This makes it so the people already online are going to generate higher levels of interest. Coincidentally, the map of high versus low interest correlated exactly with the racial demographics of the city.

e: http://www.wired.com/2012/09/google-fiber-digital-divide/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

computer parts posted:

The original problem (at least for KC) was that the system to show that a neighborhood was interested was only available online.

(headdesk) That's so Google. Technocrats tend to assume that everybody else has the resources available to technocrats. A couple of years IIRC the Google landing page stopped back-supporting many obsolete browsers, ignoring the large number of users who have computers locked down to disallow updates of any kind.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

jeeves posted:

Instead of doing fiber to the rich-person neighborhoods they seem to be doing fiber to every household. Interesting to see what happens, besides it raising the rents even more as people from Silicon Valley get to work from home instead of commuting up to San Jose.

Good. Anything to scare the incumbent ISP cartel into improving speeds or lowering cost. Rolling it out to the whole city vs only potential high subscriber areas re: Google Fiber is fantastic, too. How much it ends up helping SC's brain drain though remains to be seen.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(headdesk) That's so Google. Technocrats tend to assume that everybody else has the resources available to technocrats. A couple of years IIRC the Google landing page stopped back-supporting many obsolete browsers, ignoring the large number of users who have computers locked down to disallow updates of any kind.

A lot of Google's business practices make it painfully obvious that there's nobody in decision making roles besides 20-30 year old white guys who've never stepped inside a poor neighborhood in their life.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
On that topic, Riverside has a city-owned utility that pulled fiber through in the late 90s. It's just sitting in the ground doing (mostly) nothing, and they can't seem to convince Google or Ting or anyone else to come in and think about hooking it up.

You would think this would give the city a leg-up but it really hasn't.

http://www.pe.com/articles/fiber-786281-riverside-city.html

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 19, 2016

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

jeeves posted:

This is awesome, and makes me want to hang around Santa Cruz for a few more years.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

VikingofRock posted:

This is awesome, and makes me want to hang around Santa Cruz for a few more years.

Honestly if the commute over the 17 weren't such dogshit I'd choose SC over SJ in a heartbeat. Basically the same rent for a way nicer location. With gigabit fiber I might actually be able to wfh more days than not in which case I would legitimately be tempted.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

jeeves posted:

Maybe someone can enlighten me, but is the upgrade from high speed cable to uber high speed fiber really the difference between being able to work from home vs going into the office?

Sydin posted:

Honestly if the commute over the 17 weren't such dogshit I'd choose SC over SJ in a heartbeat. Basically the same rent for a way nicer location. With gigabit fiber I might actually be able to wfh more days than not in which case I would legitimately be tempted.
Santa Cruz has the distinction of being one of the only places in the bay area I can think of where the "commute" on a warm weekend might be worse than a regular weekday commute. If you want to head there on a Friday/Saturday, leave before 7am or don't even bother.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

cheese posted:

Maybe someone can enlighten me, but is the upgrade from high speed cable to uber high speed fiber really the difference between being able to work from home vs going into the office?
Who knows? But this is one of the main selling points for the project, trying to keep that precious Google money in town, even though there are already those Overlord Buses(tm) running daily.

cheese posted:

Santa Cruz has the distinction of being one of the only places in the bay area I can think of where the "commute" on a warm weekend might be worse than a regular weekday commute. If you want to head there on a Friday/Saturday, leave before 7am or don't even bother.

gently caress Santa Cruz traffic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cheese posted:

Not really, because most work involves coordination with other team members and/or management to a degree that makes it simpler for everyone to be in a central location.

For those code monkeys that never interact with anybody though, it's technically more possible for them to work at home.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

cheese posted:

It's more about reliability than the speed itself. More bandwidth means more breathing room if there are problems or the local lines are congested. Low cost Fiber to the Business however is a big plus for any potential tech companies.

My guess would be, SC is hoping something like the following happens:
1. The Fiber network comes online. This attracts tech-savvy people who would otherwise not want to live in SC, and allows the ones that are already there to work from home and reduces the chances of them being pressured into moving close to an out of town office.
2. This build up of tech talent in SC makes tech companies and potential start ups go "hey, there's a glut of tech talent in SC, let's set up shop there! We can even get our own Fiber to boot!"
3. This causes something of a mini tech boom in SC and helps boost the economy in the region.

Whether the dominoes will actually fall that way, or if it'll just end up meaning faster, cheaper internet for the residents of SC but not much else, remains to be seen.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

Not really, because most work involves coordination with other team members and/or management to a degree that makes it simpler for everyone to be in a central location.

For those code monkeys that never interact with anybody though, it's technically more possible for them to work at home.

It's also more common in SV especially because you have employees from all over the world working on the same projects.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Protesters blocked all five westbound lanes on the Bay Bridge this afternoon in an attempt to teach drivers that black lives matter.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvC4xq32AX8

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Correct.

But then D&Ders are the sort of people inclined to agree with the underlying sentiments of BLM. But then contrast this, for example, with the anti-vaccination protesters that blocked Golden Gate Bridge last year. That certainly would not have changed my mind on the subject and would have made me dismiss them even more quickly than I already do.

I suspect it is the same with rich people already disinclined to consider BLM in a favorable light.

Does this sort of crab-bucket-esquire action actually change minds? Or does it just increase polarization between those inclined to dismiss the movement and those inclined to support it? There's a lot of rhetoric on both sides but I haven't seen anything concrete on either side.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
People are also inconvenienced by police shootings.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Correct.

But then D&Ders are the sort of people inclined to agree with the underlying sentiments of BLM. But then contrast this, for example, with the anti-vaccination protesters that blocked Golden Gate Bridge last year. That certainly would not have changed my mind on the subject and would have made me dismiss them even more quickly than I already do.

I suspect it is the same with rich people already disinclined to consider BLM in a favorable light.

Does this sort of crab-bucket-esquire action actually change minds? Or does it just increase polarization between those inclined to dismiss the movement and those inclined to support it? There's a lot of rhetoric on both sides but I haven't seen anything concrete on either side.

What on earth is "crab bucket" like about protesting by blocking traffic as part of a protest?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Trabisnikof posted:

What on earth is "crab bucket" like about protesting by blocking traffic as part of a protest?

The underlying sentiment is "I am miserable, so I intend to take a few minutes out of your life so that you may be temporarily inconvenienced/miserable in a way that is metaphorically representative of my everyday struggles."

It's not true crab-bucket mentality of course, and I fully accept that the alternatives (do nothing, get less media exposure) are even worse.

It just seems as likely to backfire as it is to push the cause forward. But the history of progress is founded on heightening the contradictions so I dunno if there's any other choice than running the risk of a backlash. :shrug:

EDIT: By all this I mean that I continue to struggle with the methodology of these sorts of protests. Not the idea of protests in general, or even civil disobedience protests that inconvenience people when the methodology of the protest has some sort of relation to the subject matter, but rather these sorts of civil disobedience protests that, in their execution, don't really relate to their subject matter in any concrete sense. I know "consciousness raising" and "raising awareness" are typically thrown out as justifications for these sorts of things, but I have trouble understanding how an action to block a major transportation artery like this is supposed to encourage people to acknowledge the validity of BLM's complaints other than purely as a way to get the phrase "Black Lives Matter" into the newspaper.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 19, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Blocking traffic is an rear end in a top hat move regardless of who is doing it and how legitimate their cause is.

One of these days some selfish group will do it again and some guy who will be rushing his in-labor wife to the hospital won't get there in time. And then we'll see whose lives really matter.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It is a polarizing move, that is the idea. You are either with us or against us. Most people are fine with the current level of police brutality, provided it doesn't affect them. Blocking a major intersection because of police brutality, as a price for it, does affect them. So, do they want the police to double down and crack down more so fewer roads are blocked, or do they want the police to be less brutal? Since police brutality is loving up your commute, you can no longer shrug and say it doesn't concern you.

The protesters are hoping there is enough momentum on their side that the polarization works in their favor.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

enraged_camel posted:

Blocking traffic is an rear end in a top hat move regardless of who is doing it and how legitimate their cause is.

One of these days some selfish group will do it again and some guy who will be rushing his in-labor wife to the hospital won't get there in time. And then we'll see whose lives really matter.

Your planned response to your wife going into labor should not be to drive across the Bay Bridge.

Blocking traffic is a great protest because it gets attention. They could go do a peaceful protest out in front of City Hall or the State Capitol but good luck getting the news to devote more than a brief 30 second mention of it, if they mention it at all. And besides, the whole "I would've supported the movement if they'd gone about it in an appropriate way" has never been an honest sentiment. Best not to worry about losing the hearts and minds of people who were probably ignoring your movement altogether.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

It's possible to agree with a cause but lose faith in a movement or organization because they do stupid counterproductive poo poo that makes people associate the cause with nutjobs. For example, you can support animal rights and hate PETA, or support environmentalism and hate Greenpeace, or support economic equality and hate Occupy Wall Street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Yep. Generally pissing off a lot of people when it comes to commute and who just want to get home and unwind (or get to work), most of whom probably agree with the sentiment, is not a good tactic. Especially a sole transportation artery. I guarentee the anti-vax blocking didn't make anyone go "hrmm you know those anti-vaxeers have got a good point as I'm sitting here stuck because of them. Maybe we shouldn't vaccinate kids, it's bad!" and just made more people hate them and consider them fringe nutjobs than they already did. Another example of backfiring was the last BART strike which really pissed off a lot and anti-union sentiment went way on the rise (of course part of that was media) , but ultimately it did more to hurt unions more than anything else--even from diehard democrats.