Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

RangerScum posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I'd tell my creepy unhinged stalker who had dozens of pictures of me on his facebook after he started talking crazy about everyone being a psychopath.

I should probably qualify they were all group photos at social gatherings, that I was at, and in. So creepy.

Anyway, my customer finally decided the advice I gave him three hours ago that poo poo will not work back out is correct so I'm goin to bed. Thanks for the entertainment, thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
"oh 32 unread posts in the street thread? it can't be actual photos - somebody probably made a fatal misstep in their posting decisions."

*checks thread*

"yep"

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

windex posted:

Portrait rights are a thing in Japan, and can be pushed against a local resident selling photos internationally, as was recently discovered. There are no limits on portrait rights for fair use or otherwise in law or court history in regards to any identifiable person who could be deemed the subject of the photo.

One woman shot from behind sued a fashion blog for commenting on her appearance unfavorably on the grounds her clothing style made her identifiable, she won.

Moriyama is hosed

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

windex posted:

Selling is not prohibited technically.

You can't publish them.

Huh, that's weird, I guess these books don't exist.

http://www.amazon.com/Daido-Moriyama-19XX-20XX-Zdenek-Felix/dp/3775717293/

http://www.amazon.com/Daido-Tokyo-Moriyama/dp/286925122X/

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

windex posted:

You can't publish them.

To this website.

To a photo gallery.

To Facebook, technically, though people tend to relax a bit there, I once had to delete a few dozen FB photos that had a girl with a jealous boyfriend in them, who one day reported them all as harassment, because he coerced her into dumping all her friends and only spending time as his slave or some poo poo that lasted two months.

Poor Arraki, he's totally hosed. Not only did he shoot and exhibit night club shots (some of which aren't staged) -- but he also SOLD them.
I also had shows here and sold prints with people in them, people who seem to be perfectly happy to be in there, but of course that's just the calm before the storm.
They're coming for us ... any ... moment now.

A digression; Japan being full of psychopathic people who don't care about you: Ha. Good joke. Here's a heads up: you're the typical lonely angry foreigner white male who's mad at the country because he: a)Doesn't want to speak the language b)Doesn't want to integrate c)Thinks he's a special loving snowflake and should be loved especially by the cute girls -- who will come running through your door any second now... dude ... why are you there? you obviously hate it. (And take bad pictures.)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

VomitOnLino posted:

(And take bad pictures.)

Most relevant bit there.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

windex posted:

You can't publish them.

To this website.

To a photo gallery.

To Facebook, technically, though people tend to relax a bit there, I once had to delete a few dozen FB photos that had a girl with a jealous boyfriend in them, who one day reported them all as harassment, because he coerced her into dumping all her friends and only spending time as his slave or some poo poo that lasted two months.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

windex posted:

The view from my apartment is pretty epic around lunch.

A park around Nishi-Shinjuku:

edit: vvv oh no, photos of and taken from the street are not street photography.

Aside from all the drama, these are pretty bad photos. Completely uninteresting, and not in the good way that photos of nothing can be good.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Congrats on making the Street thread worse than it usually is.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

VomitOnLino posted:

Poor Arraki, he's totally hosed. Not only did he shoot and exhibit night club shots (some of which aren't staged) -- but he also SOLD them.
I also had shows here and sold prints with people in them, people who seem to be perfectly happy to be in there, but of course that's just the calm before the storm.
They're coming for us ... any ... moment now.

A digression; Japan being full of psychopathic people who don't care about you: Ha. Good joke. Here's a heads up: you're the typical lonely angry foreigner white male who's mad at the country because he: a)Doesn't want to speak the language b)Doesn't want to integrate c)Thinks he's a special loving snowflake and should be loved especially by the cute girls -- who will come running through your door any second now... dude ... why are you there? you obviously hate it. (And take bad pictures.)

Just because people speed doesn't mean the speed limit is optional. Like speed limits, this law bites people when they least expect it in ways that occasionally make life very hard for a short time. I personally think the law is bullshit. it's still the law.

So one of the things about your posting is that you keep making assumptions about me based on what is presumably your experience of Japan. So let me explain.

I love Japan. I have no delusions that I will ever be considered part of it. And that's fine.

The contrast between the good and the bad is goddamned awful, though.

Most of the photos I take are event photography, in low light, with no flashes, in ways that generally suck and require thousands of shutter movements to get a 10% yield on usable photos.

But I take those photos because I work part time with a production company that signs indie bands and feeds up the best of them to the rest of the industry.

I got into this by accident because I was trying to solicit photography work for a now ex-girlfriend because it's what she went to school for and she could never find work in it. We broke up. My buddy called me and put me on the spot because he had a last minute cancelation of his other photographer and I showed up with a 70D and kit lenses. And we made it work out, so once and awhile he throws me new work.

Before those events, which are typically their first live (maybe not individually, but usually as a group), I get to be part of the process of preparing those kids for that work for 3-4 hours ahead of time as we shoot promos and in some cases album artwork.

About 1/4th of these bands cancel their first live and refuse to show. The 3/4 that do show up usually look like a wreck. They are only playing in front of like 50 to 200 people at most.

So, the first thing we do is go eat, usually whatever the lead says their favorite type of food is, because again, most of these guys have not eaten the day of. And once the food coma sets in a bit, we start talking about why they got into music, inspirations, what they plan to do if they fail horribly, etc.

And, in my never quite good enough Japanese, I manage to take people who are terrified of me, terrified of the camera, terrified of failing, and I get them to produce a few laughs, a few smiles, and start to have a good time, and I get some good outdoor shots.

Then we move indoors, either to the venue or the office, everybody usually changes clothes to something more closely resembling whatever they preform in, and we start to talk about what they think the image of the band is.

And then we usually discover none of them are in sync on this at all and their fashion choices usually reflect this so we kind of maneuver a happy medium and I get some more photos.

Then we take a break for an hour or two so they can prepare for their event and I can go either mentally prepare for the venue or walk the venue if it's open and empty and I've never been there.

Right before they're due on stage, I get one more set of headshots (these go on a wall as little 10x10cm photos in the managers office), and the panic has set in a bit more in their eyes, but it should, because beside it is a little bit more confidence than they had.

And then they start playing on stage. And most of the time, I am not a fan, but I have very little time to stop thinking about the camera and listen to the music anyway, doubly so if their cheap rear end manager didn't hire a second photographer and I wind up having to shoot the audience reactions and the stage.

And, usually, it's amazing. I would say 80% of the time they make it on stage they actually manage to connect with their audience.

And then I go to work the next day.

And I deal with people who are in technical roles in title only whose entire educational background was in management.

They do not aspire to be anything but not at fault. They do not have hope and have grown paranoid and unwilling to take chances.

They think only about how they can shift the blame for bad designs due to ineptitude or financial concerns off to their vendors, customers, or anyone but them really.

When you give them technically valid answers to real questions, once you get to the real question, if they do not agree with you from the standpoint of someone looking only to cover their own rear end, they start calling everyone from their account team to the CEO.

And I'm not even at the bottom of this mess. I'm at the top. And it's very difficult most days to not go gently caress Japan.

bobmarleysghost posted:

Aside from all the drama, these are pretty bad photos. Completely uninteresting, and not in the good way that photos of nothing can be good.

I got a whole page of posts and still not a drat thing to help me figure out what I personally want to take photos of on my own time.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
so what is your point

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

so what is your point

I'll keep trying. :love:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

windex posted:

Just because people speed doesn't mean the speed limit is optional. Like speed limits, this law bites people when they least expect it in ways that occasionally make life very hard for a short time. I personally think the law is bullshit. it's still the law.

So one of the things about your posting is that you keep making assumptions about me based on what is presumably your experience of Japan. So let me explain.

I love Japan. I have no delusions that I will ever be considered part of it. And that's fine.

Most of the photos I take are event photography, in low light, with no flashes, in ways that generally suck and require thousands of shutter movements to get a 10% yield on usable photos.

But I take those photos because I work part time with a production company that signs indie bands and feeds up the best of them to the rest of the industry.

I got into this by accident because I was trying to solicit photography work for a now ex-girlfriend because it's what she went to school for and she could never find work in it. We broke up. My buddy called me and put me on the spot because he had a last minute cancelation of his other photographer and I showed up with a 70D and kit lenses. And we made it work out, so once and awhile he throws me new work.

Before those events, which are typically their first live (maybe not individually, but usually as a group), I get to be part of the process of preparing those kids for that work for 3-4 hours ahead of time as we shoot promos and in some cases album artwork.

About 1/4th of these bands cancel their first live and refuse to show. The 3/4 that do show up usually look like a wreck. They are only playing in front of like 50 to 200 people at most.

So, the first thing we do is go eat, usually whatever the lead says their favorite type of food is, because again, most of these guys have not eaten the day of. And once the food coma sets in a bit, we start talking about why they got into music, inspirations, what they plan to do if they fail horribly, etc.

And, in my never quite good enough Japanese, I manage to take people who are terrified of me, terrified of the camera, terrified of failing, and I get them to produce a few laughs, a few smiles, and start to have a good time, and I get some good outdoor shots.

Then we move indoors, either to the venue or the office, everybody usually changes clothes to something more closely resembling whatever they preform in, and we start to talk about what they think the image of the band is.

And then we usually discover none of them are in sync on this at all and their fashion choices usually reflect this so we kind of maneuver a happy medium and I get some more photos.

Then we take a break for an hour or two so they can prepare for their event and I can go either mentally prepare for the venue or walk the venue if it's open and empty and I've never been there.

Right before they're due on stage, I get one more set of headshots (these go on a wall as little 10x10cm photos in the managers office), and the panic has set in a bit more in their eyes, but it should, because beside it is a little bit more confidence than they had.

And then they start playing on stage. And most of the time, I am not a fan, but I have very little time to stop thinking about the camera and listen to the music anyway, doubly so if their cheap rear end manager didn't hire a second photographer and I wind up having to shoot the audience reactions and the stage.

And, usually, it's amazing. I would say 80% of the time they make it on stage they actually manage to connect with their audience.

And I deal with people who are in technical roles in title only whose entire educational background was in management.

They do not aspire to be anything but not at fault. They do not have hope and have grown paranoid and unwilling to take chances.

They think only about how they can shift the blame for bad designs due to ineptitude or financial concerns off to their vendors, customers, or anyone but them really.

When you give them technically valid answers to real questions, once you get to the real question, if they do not agree with you from the standpoint of someone looking only to cover their own rear end, they start calling everyone from their account team to the CEO.

And I'm not even at the bottom of this mess. I'm at the top. And it's very difficult most days to not go gently caress Japan.

I got a whole page of posts and still not a drat thing to help me figure out what I personally want to take photos of on my own time.

Your posting is real bad.

You can put more than one sentence per paragraph.

None of what you said has anything to do with the subject.

If you're trying to distract us from how wrong you are it's not working.

Also, passing the buck isn't unique to Japan at all.

In summation, lurk more.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

windex posted:

Go on....

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Reading all your posts as Bruce Gilden.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

windex posted:

Take photos of the log out screen...

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
That's a whole lotta words about nothing in particular.

windex posted:

That's your job, go and shoot and figure it out. Just don't be surprised when the first few thousand you shoot are poo poo

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

Reading all your posts as Bruce Gilden.

This is the most constructive post in my direction in the thread. I've seen Bruce Gilden's work but never really listened to him or watched videos of him working.

I started watching the videos here: http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2013/08/24/5-lessons-bruce-gilden-has-taught-me-about-street-photography/

I'll give being an rear end in a top hat a shot. I've got the hang of the 5D3 now and I've got a couple 600EX-RT's.

edit: I'll quit making GBS threads up your thread for now dear goons I have some inspiration.

windex fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 19, 2016

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

windex posted:

that's a whole lot of words saying something

windex posted:

I'll give being an rear end in a top hat a shot. I've got the hang of the 5D3 now and I've got a couple 600EX-RT's.

edit: I'll quit making GBS threads up your thread for now dear goons I have some inspiration.

seems like you got the hang of it already

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
yeah just photograph like you post and you will be king of the rear end in a top hat street urban landscape sociopaths in no time

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is windex? This is windex speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing-you who dread knowledge -I am the man who will now tell you.” ...

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Windex you crazy guy, just take more photos and post more photos, you'll get better, hopefully.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
is this street photography

IMG_2583 by difficult listening, on Flickr

what about this

IMG_2601 by difficult listening, on Flickr

sometimes i eat ants for fun

IMG_3412 by difficult listening, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Magic Hate Ball posted:

is this street photography

IMG_2583 by difficult listening, on Flickr

No.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
poo poo

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

You're right, that is what it is.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
"Hey, I haven't visited the dorkroom in awhile, as I've been sitting on rear end and working. Let's see what....

55 new posts in the street thread. Oh boy. Oooooooo fuckin boy, let's see what we have..."

:stare:

Do we all go through this phase?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
See Windex, even vendagoat thinks you suck

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ok i know this thread is, always has been, and almost certainly always will be the internet equivalent of a trash fire but if we could stop throwing tires on it for a while that would be cool

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

ok i know this thread is, always has been, and almost certainly always will be the internet equivalent of a trash fire but if we could stop throwing tires on it for a while that would be cool

gently caress you that's not a very street attitude

the street is raw, unfiltered

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mido posted:

gently caress you that's not a very street attitude

the street is raw, unfiltered

and also, almost without exception, terrible

mlmp etc

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I'm so fuckin' street son

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

8th-snype posted:

See Windex, even vendagoat thinks you suck

This post makes the whole thing worth it imo

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

SoundMonkey posted:

this thread is like a trash fire and every now and then someone pisses on it and it makes a lot of smoke and then everyone comes to see what happened and it's just piss

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

don't sign your posts

dunos
Feb 6, 2007

I refuse to be part of your furry fantasies
Oh thank gently caress for that. I thought I had managed to bury this thread back in December and didn't want to post twice in a row. Now I can continue dumping out my poo poo street photos.

Bristol; January 2016 by dunos, on Flickr

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

IMG_3463 by difficult listening on Flickr

IMG_3475 by difficult listening on Flickr

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Post photos.

img641 by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007