Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

zedprime posted:

Another aspect that doesn't come into light until Lightning Finally Returns is that 13 suddenly feels a lot better about it actually being about being chumps to destiny all along, because as it turns out, being Etro's chumps instead of Lindzei's chumps is still awful cause you're still Bhunivelze's chumps by association until you reboot the world with all the rear end in a top hat gods locked in negative zone.

I love that Lightning tells Neel before their fight that she's been fighting destiny a long time and she's getting good at it. I don't know what game she played but by my reckoning, Destiny was 2-0 versus our heroes in XIII and XIII-2.

Oxxidation posted:

I kind of liked Etro as a concept. You get good gods and evil gods and absent gods and gods who aren't really gods all the time, but it's not often you see a god who just doesn't know what the gently caress they're doing. Etro's a well-intentioned idiot who had no understanding of how human mortality or compassion worked and her haphazard "gifts" always made things worse in the end.

That's another part of the schizo tone in the series. XIII and XIII-3 are all 'gently caress gods!" Then sandwiched in the middle is an entire game about loving a goddess. Only that goddess is just as vile, albeit due to incompetence rather than malevolence or indifference.

I was rooting for Caius.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I'm just gonna leave this here because the idea was too good to pass up and I might have had Gilgamesh there survive Brynhildr's onslaught with retaliation in FFRK.

Sorry if this derails anything but uh...yeah.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Upon re-reading the Final Fantasy X-2 LP, I can't help but notice that there's a line in the game that really sums up the X-2.5 novel pretty well.

On another note, I've heard that Explorers likely won't have a demo due to that killing Japanese sales? If so, that's a shame. I hate buying games blind. But this game does have Blue Mage, so I am sorely tempted. Maybe I'll take a leap of faith.

A game bleeding sales because of the demo seems pretty telling. Have people/reviews said it's just bad?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

That's another part of the schizo tone in the series. XIII and XIII-3 are all 'gently caress gods!" Then sandwiched in the middle is an entire game about loving a goddess. Only that goddess is just as vile, albeit due to incompetence rather than malevolence or indifference.

I was rooting for Caius.
13-2 is more about humanity stepping up to the sub god level and still being stuck in the cycle in spite of that, with Lightning picking up Etro's slack with trying to prevent the downpour of chaos, and Hope turning humanity into Lindzei's peer by creating synthetic L'cie.

I think Caius ends up actually being the good guy even in 13-2 by kicking off the real chance humanity has to break the cycle.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On another note, I've heard that Explorers likely won't have a demo due to that killing Japanese sales? If so, that's a shame. I hate buying games blind. But this game does have Blue Mage, so I am sorely tempted. Maybe I'll take a leap of faith.

If a demo is killing sales so badly that they refuse to release one in another region, I'd say that's not a very safe leap to take.

Countblanc posted:

A game bleeding sales because of the demo seems pretty telling. Have people/reviews said it's just bad?

beaten but the point stands

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't buy games because they have a class you like and will badly handle that class

That's like buying FFX because Kimahri has blue magic for an overdrive even though he loving sucks

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's like me subscribing to FFXIV and then buying Heavensward because Dark Knight is a thing in that game

When in reality I subscribed to it because it was cheap as poo poo and I needed something to play while I had episodes of Gotham to watch

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Baal posted:

Don't buy games because they have a class you like and will badly handle that class

That's like buying FFX because Kimahri has blue magic for an overdrive even though he loving sucks

This is a good point. :ohdear:

The White Dragon posted:

If a demo is killing sales so badly that they refuse to release one in another region, I'd say that's not a very safe leap to take.

As is this.

I'll watch gameplay footage first and see how I like it, then.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Possible Controversial Opinion: "Labyrinth of Chaos" is a very underrated track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTWPdcXm0Iw

It's cool when everything kicks in around 1:20 but the piano and the dungeon are both incredibly annoying

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

Hey TWD.

:v:

I would also settle for you resuming your FF1 narrative LP.

Wow I'm really smart

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm replaying FFXIII for the first time in about five years and as I relatively recently beat XIII-2, I'm comparing the games in my mind.

Now I'm no expert on this kinda thing since I can't see that well but is it just me or is XIII infinitely prettier? I mean, I figured it would generally be better-looking than its sequel, and especially in cutscenes, but it's the difference in battle quality that took me aback. Everything looks so much more....polished and cinematic is how I describe it. Maybe it's the camera? I didn't remember the camera in XIII being so wildly different from XIII-2.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 18, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm replaying FFXIII for the first time in about five years and as I relatively recently beat XIII-2, I'm comparing the games in my mind.

Now I'm no exert on this kinda thing since I can't see that well but is it just me or is XIII infinitely prettier? I mean, I figured it would generally be better-looking than its sequel, and especially in cutscenes, but it's the difference in battle quality that took me aback. Everything looks so much more....polished and cinematic is how I describe it. Maybe it's the camera? I didn't remember the camera in XIII being s wildly different from XIII-2.

FFXIII-2 and FFXIII-3 were made on much much lower budgets.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

NikkolasKing posted:

Now I'm no expert on this kinda thing since I can't see that well but is it just me or is XIII infinitely prettier? I mean, I figured it would generally be better-looking than its sequel, and especially in cutscenes, but it's the difference in battle quality that took me aback. Everything looks so much more....polished and cinematic is how I describe it. Maybe it's the camera? I didn't remember the camera in XIII being so wildly different from XIII-2.

Much of the art assets in FFXIII were master quality and had years of work put on them even if they only made brief appearances in the final game. Furthermore, many of the cutscenes were not finalized until the very end of development in 2009 due to rewrites and quality checks. Mishandling assets had been a problem for past FF games (and the Spirits Within) but it blew up when they made the jump to HD consoles. The FFXIII sequels had two year development cycles and quarterly development milestones to have some semblance of sanity during the production of those games.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Upon re-reading the Final Fantasy X-2 LP, I can't help but notice that there's a line in the game that really sums up the X-2.5 novel pretty well.

Isn't Explorers the game that was awful garbage? Pretty sure that had more to do with poor sales than anything else (though a demo that lets people know it sucks doesn't help).

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

Isn't Explorers the game that was awful garbage? Pretty sure that had more to do with poor sales than anything else (though a demo that lets people know it sucks doesn't help).

I don't think Explorers is even out yet

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dasmause posted:

I don't think Explorers is even out yet

It is out in Japan.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Just did the Shiva Sisters fight and stopping for now.

1. I had forgotten how on-the-ball you have to be with your Paradigms in this game. Even early game XIII-2 wasn't this demanding.

2. Speaking of which, triple RAV seems like a bad idea, at least for now. The gauge just goes down way too fast.

3. Are Eidolons actually any good? I never once used them in my first run of this game. It was another reason I hated their gimmick fights. I had to endure fights for poo poo I didn't even want or need.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
They're useful in that you get an immediate full heal for your entire team when you summon (including revives), and they're okay at clearing out large groups of weak enemies if Cerberus or Aggression isn't doing it for you, but otherwise no, they're purely for style points.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

NikkolasKing posted:

1. I had forgotten how on-the-ball you have to be with your Paradigms in this game. Even early game XIII-2 wasn't this demanding.

2. Speaking of which, triple RAV seems like a bad idea, at least for now. The gauge just goes down way too fast.

3. Are Eidolons actually any good? I never once used them in my first run of this game. It was another reason I hated their gimmick fights. I had to endure fights for poo poo I didn't even want or need.

2. Triple Rav is good but you need to have bonked whatever with a com or sab first to stall the gauge and you need to periodically swap. I personally never bothered with this nonsense and just did com rav rav.

3. Nope.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The trick with Tri-Disaster is that you shift there after an ATB or two of Smart Bomb or Relentless Assault. The stagger hold that SAB and COM have is almost a mini status effect, it sticks around for a bit without you having to keep the pressure on.

Eidolons are useful in a pinch because afaik they reset the status of your party members but that's out once you pick up Renew. It's useful in the fight as solo Snow after he's been gone for 5 chapters because he's been gone for 5 chapters, and it's funny that the game lets you summon again after starting in Gestalt mode.

e;fb on all but Snow

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Triple Rav is pretty much never a good idea. If they're not staggered having a COM or a SAB slows the gauge depletion while the RAVs do their thing or if they are staggered having a COM boosts the attack of all characters and slows the depletion of the gauge.

Eidolons are a free, full party heal/revive. The only time they're remotely useful is if you screw up the execution of a fight but not so badly a full revive couldn't recover it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Triple Rav in that brief time you have 3 party members at the beginning is a trap because you don't have any Com bonus improvements left to make the stagger decay reduction linger. Its viable again by the time everybody gets back together, if you can spare the room in the paradigm deck but requires nearly constant spamming with a Com containing paradigm. Which isn't an awful thing with the free ATB bar.

I don't even remember what eidolons did.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
They turn into a sweet hot rod you can do donuts with, I don't care if it's not actually good, I used them.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I remain frustrated that there is still no concrete news on 12 HD. Wasn't it supposed to be coming if 10 HD did well? Because 10 HD did so well they released another version of the drat thing, yet SE went out of their way to quash talk of 12 when someone accidentally implied it. :argh: Catching up on this whole thread really gave me the urge to try IZJS, but that would mean importing a copy, setting up PCSX2, and figuring out the patching process, which is far too much :effort:, especially when I theoretically, maybe, have a reason to hold back on buying the PS2 version.

E: FWIW I own 12 but gave up for a stupid, petty reason I can't remember after literally 5 minutes of running around as Vaan. Is it worth a shot or should I just wait for a chance to play IZJS?

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 19, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you already bought it, just get a prepatched version.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

I remain frustrated that there is still no concrete news on 12 HD. Wasn't it supposed to be coming if 10 HD did well? Because 10 HD did so well they released another version of the drat thing, yet SE went out of their way to quash talk of 12 when someone accidentally implied it. :argh: Catching up on this whole thread really gave me the urge to try IZJS, but that would mean importing a copy, setting up PCSX2, and figuring out the patching process, which is far too much :effort:, especially when I theoretically, maybe, have a reason to hold back on buying the PS2 version.

Uhhh look it up, you just put the two versions you have (us and izjs) in the same folder and run the patcher and bam! Instantspeedup button for FFXII.

It worked pretty well with PCSX2 out of the box as I remember too.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Er, sorry I should have specified, I currently only own the original release of 12. Also I'd still have to puzzle out emulation which as I gather involves buying some USB ethernet adaptor to dump the BIOS and :psyduck:. Unless it's much easier than it sounds.

E: VVV I have looked it up and everything I find says you need to dump your BIOS and everything I look up about that involves going out and buying a peripheral for a console two generations out of date. :shrug: Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but that's because it doesn't matter that much to me; the main point of the post was grumbling about the lack of an HD release and wondering aloud if the original was worth playing.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 19, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Er, sorry I should have specified, I currently only own the original release of 12. Also I'd still have to puzzle out emulation which as I gather involves buying some USB ethernet adaptor to dump the BIOS and :psyduck:. Unless it's much easier than it sounds.

I... just look it up and no you really don't need to go through all the stuff to get Bios directly from your PS2.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

E: FWIW I own 12 but gave up for a stupid, petty reason I can't remember after literally 5 minutes of running around as Vaan. Is it worth a shot or should I just wait for a chance to play IZJS?

I wouldn't play any version of FFXII which doesn't have the IZJS improvements, it vastly improves the game's combat and leveling systems and makes the base game completely redundant. If you legitimately own FFXII no one will think harshly of you for using the dark arts to get IZJS that way, you can't really be faulted for patching in features from a game which was never released in your country

AlphaKretin posted:

E: VVV I have looked it up and everything I find says you need to dump your BIOS and everything I look up about that involves going out and buying a peripheral for a console two generations out of date. :shrug: Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but that's because it doesn't matter that much to me; the main point of the post was grumbling about the lack of an HD release and wondering aloud if the original was worth playing.

We can't provide links for obvious reasons, but it's easy enough to set up PCSX2 purely through downloads, just google it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would be extremely surprised if the number of people using a BIOS for PCSX2 that was ripped from their own console was higher than 1%.

In plain terms, people use BIOS files dumped by others and sharing those is the illegal part of emulation with regards to the emulator program which is why they don't come with the program.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Right, thanks. One of these days I'll get less naive. :shobon:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Right, thanks. One of these days I'll get less naive. :shobon:

You're fine, just don't stress about setting all that up.

Go do it though and try out FFXII IZJS. I really liked it since it fixed the licence board issue I had with the first.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

zedprime posted:

Triple Rav in that brief time you have 3 party members at the beginning is a trap because you don't have any Com bonus improvements left to make the stagger decay reduction linger. Its viable again by the time everybody gets back together, if you can spare the room in the paradigm deck but requires nearly constant spamming with a Com containing paradigm. Which isn't an awful thing with the free ATB bar.

I don't even remember what eidolons did.

SAB gives the same bonus to the stagger bar, so there are definitely some fight where i would do SAB/RAV/RAV and then triple RAV to debuff and stagger an enemy in a few seconds

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

In Training posted:

SAB gives the same bonus to the stagger bar, so there are definitely some fight where i would do SAB/RAV/RAV and then triple RAV to debuff and stagger an enemy in a few seconds
Doesn't sab's bonus lag a tier or two behind? So I could see it working by the very end but I specifically remember having issues with sab's stagger decay slow not cutting it for triple rav in early Pulse. Would get strange edge cases like it running out just in time for triggering a stagger, without decay slow, and you can't stick decay slow to a staggered enemy so you get an awful stagger out of the whole thing.

Its kind of hard to recommend triple rav before the sab's done anyway.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The big issue with SAB is that the AI won't try to refresh debuffs that haven't run out, so early-game* your SAB will only slow the stagger gauge once or twice then stand around like a moron and let the stagger gauge fall.

*"game" here meaning starting from when you have appreciable options

Crab Destroyer
Sep 3, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

1. When and how to switch paradigms is the most important part of XIII's combat. Yeah, you might want to micromanage a Synergist or a Medic once you figure out how to do things more efficiently than the AI, but otherwise there's little reason to do anything other than hit autobattle. Even after you've figured out that SAB/RAV/RAV is one of the best ways to start a battle, when and why you switch out depends on the encounter. It's why XIII has the most engaging combat in any FF game I've played, even after you've "figured it out" the execution still matters (IV DS comes in second for shuffling your party configuration around outside of your control while introducing new enemy combinations so that you have to keep "figuring it out").

2. It's mostly bad, but like other people have said, it can work if you spend some time in SAB/RAV/RAV/ or COM/RAV/RAV first. I only bothered with enemies like the robots or scalebeasts who transform into a much weaker form when staggered.

3. It lets you use 3TP to cast Renew and Dispelga at the same time while also doing damage.

AlphaKretin posted:

The big issue with SAB is that the AI won't try to refresh debuffs that haven't run out, so early-game* your SAB will only slow the stagger gauge once or twice then stand around like a moron and let the stagger gauge fall.

*"game" here meaning starting from when you have appreciable options

If your SAB has stopped casting you might get more damage out of switching to COM/RAV/RAV anyway. The debuffs do damage but you'll probably get more damage and end the battle faster if you switch to COM, even if the chain gauge fills slower.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
You should be maining the SAB and forcing it to cast, though. Also, Tri-Disaster is great for getting the stagger gauge to 999% once an enemy is actually staggered, specially when using Army of One or Desperado (spanglish if I ever saw one :v:).

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Veks posted:

You should be maining the SAB and forcing it to cast, though. Also, Tri-Disaster is great for getting the stagger gauge to 999% once an enemy is actually staggered, specially when using Army of One or Desperado (spanglish if I ever saw one :v:).

Yeah, micromanaging your SAB is the way to go imho.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I've 5 starred most bosses and now the Scalebeasts and Wyverns. I remember beating them both my first run but man did it take forever and I got no stars. Probably because I never used SAB at all. I don't know why, I just never used it until the final boss when someone told me to just cast Poison on it and autowin.

So yeah, hooray for me. Or rather, hooray for all of you people who are actually good at the game and gave me pointers.

Although the post above mentioning getting stagger to 999%, I never understood that percentage stuff. I mean, I understand filling the chain gauge but what does the percentage mean? How long they stay staggered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Damage multiplier.

It doesn't really come up if you aren't killing turtles or superbosses, except maybe some low level punching up to behemoths by killing them before it stands up.