Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

You know, I started to write out a detailed response to all three of you, and then I realized this is what I've been doing for the past twenty pages or something, over and over, saying pretty much the same thing, and it's become pretty clear you don't think anything short of the militants straight up shooting someone is really much of a problem, or at the very least, isn't actually harmful. I mean, Perfectly Safe just described terrorized Burns residents, some of whom have fled their homes, a number of whom were kids followed to/from school, as being 'uneasy'. Yes, I suppose you could call that being 'uneasy'. If you were an rear end in a top hat.

I mean, it was about the point I was re-reading things and got to that and how calling a kidnapping a kidnapping was bad and misleading because the kidnapped kids were taken by their birth mother that I realized our definitions of what is harmful are so incredibly far apart that we might as well be speaking different languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

kartikeya posted:

You know, I started to write out a detailed response to all three of you, and then I realized this is what I've been doing for the past twenty pages or something, over and over, saying pretty much the same thing, and it's become pretty clear you don't think anything short of the militants straight up shooting someone is really much of a problem, or at the very least, isn't actually harmful. I mean, Perfectly Safe just described terrorized Burns residents, some of whom have fled their homes, a number of whom were kids followed to/from school, as being 'uneasy'. Yes, I suppose you could call that being 'uneasy'. If you were an rear end in a top hat.

I mean, it was about the point I was re-reading things and got to that and how calling a kidnapping a kidnapping was bad and misleading because the kidnapped kids were taken by their birth mother that I realized our definitions of what is harmful are so incredibly far apart that we might as well be speaking different languages.

That's ok, your consistently superficial analysis wasn't really helping anyway.

e: actually, I apologise for this. I think that you are being childish, but that's no reason for me to be to reflexively be a dick back.

Perfectly Safe fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 19, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Main Paineframe posted:

The Hutaree investigation, which was an investigation of a centrally-organized militia group which was infiltrated by an undercover agent, took two years and change. It's only been, what, a year and a half since the Bundy Ranch standoff? And I'm not sure why you'd expect an investigation of a decentralized, unorganized, spontaneous one-time group to take less time, especially in the post-Hutaree legal universe where far more evidence is needed to convict a militia group on anything meaningful. Modern federal law enforcement, as a general rule of thumb, prefers to take it slow and thorough and not jump the gun - someone might run around unpunished for a few years, but the federal government always wins in the end.

For someone who keeps bringing up the Hutaree militia do you actually know anything beyond the wikipedia page? Because the fact you keep comparing it to incidents caught on video and open confessions by Bundy Ranch/Oregon militia members implies you have no idea what you're talking about as you're comparing conspiracy and planning with actual things happening live and on video.

You also seem to ignore that Cliven Bundy has had issues going back decades so I'm guessing the answer is yes, given your posting history in this thread.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

skaboomizzy posted:

be able to string together two spoken sentences without sounding like an idiot.

They'll think he's an FBI plant. You need to be a raving loon to fit in. Make those two sentences about the government supporting you not being the government supporting you. It helps if you have a background of federal assistance or taken out a federal loan recently

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/Kate_Davidson/status/689491090974486529

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

"Conservationists"

I hate these guys so much.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Superficially the crazy militia occupying a building and terrorizing locals might seem like a bad thing, but if you think about it objectively it is actually cool and good.

They haven't hurt anyone and their demands are completely reasonable

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
It's too bad endangered birds aren't prone to mauling people, but we can hope.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
What are the odds the FBI has a mole inside the refuge? They've gotta have something up their sleeve being so hands off. A lot of militia just filtered in after the occupation, that seems easy enough vector for a plant.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Illegal Username posted:

Superficially the crazy militia occupying a building and terrorizing locals might seem like a bad thing, but if you think about it objectively it is actually cool and good.

They haven't hurt anyone and their demands are completely reasonable

Superficially they have broken the law and should be arrested immediately.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

A few more links I've run into this morning.

This guy sums up what this argument is about pretty neatly: http://z1.hcn.org/hcn/hcn/articles/im-not-so-different-from-the-bundys-heres-what-id-like-to-say-to-them

quote:

"Your protest is nothing more than an elaborate tantrum conducted with firearms. If you actually won claim to any public lands, I think you'd intimidate and bully others the way you and your followers did in Nevada, and the way you are doing now. Furthermore, your family owes me and 320 million of my fellow Americans more than a million dollars in back grazing fees for using public land without paying your fair share.

And remember, it's just a bird sanctuary. Clearly there's nothing of real value there--oh wait.

http://www.kgw.com/news/4000-artifacts-stored-at-oregon-refuge-held-by-armed-group/15241509

Bonus idiocy from that link:

quote:

Bundy said people interested in archeology are welcome to explore the refuge, but that cattle ranchers and loggers should have priority when it comes to land use.

"Before white man came, so to speak, there was nothing to keep cattle from tromping on those things," Bundy said.

Though some countries had domesticated cattle 10,000 years ago, the animals came to the United States with European settlers.

"We also recognize that the Native Americans had the claim to the land, but they lost that claim," Bundy said. "There are things to learn from cultures of the past, but the current culture is the most important."

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

SlipUp posted:

What are the odds the FBI has a mole inside the refuge? They've gotta have something up their sleeve being so hands off. A lot of militia just filtered in after the occupation, that seems easy enough vector for a plant.

It's tarp man

kartikeya posted:

This guy sums up what this argument is about pretty neatly: http://z1.hcn.org/hcn/hcn/articles/im-not-so-different-from-the-bundys-heres-what-id-like-to-say-to-them

And remember, it's just a bird sanctuary. Clearly there's nothing of real value there--oh wait.

http://www.kgw.com/news/4000-artifacts-stored-at-oregon-refuge-held-by-armed-group/15241509

Jesus loving Christ. I hope they shoot Bundy "accidentally". Motherfucker that guy's retarded.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 19, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

kartikeya posted:

Mr Bundy, I am pretty sure the Mandate of Heaven currently belongs to the Obama Dynasty.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

kartikeya posted:

Yeah, my first thought on reading his cattle line was "no, they didn't."

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

SlipUp posted:

Do they really need one? Pete's basting their doings publicly.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Crain posted:

Do they really need one? Pete's basting their doings publicly.

If Pete turns out to be the FBI mole I'm gonna be really impressed with them for once.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kartikeya posted:

Holy poo poo, that line about Native Americans losing the land is a perfect representation of their FYGM mindset. Federal government can't own land but it can apparently seize it from the natives to give to assholes and their inbred descendants.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Evil Fluffy posted:

Holy poo poo, that line about Native Americans losing the land is a perfect representation of their FYGM mindset. Federal government can't own land but it can apparently seize it from the natives to give to assholes and their inbred descendants.

it's ALMOST like they came up with the standard to justify what they wanted rather than adopt a principled stance that sometimes meant that they dont' get exactly what they want

Abner Cadaver II posted:

If Pete turns out to be the FBI mole I'm gonna be really impressed with them for once.
this would be the most amazing thing that has ever happened.

Pete almost makes more sense as a person faking it because he is like a parody of a conspiracy theorist

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, my first thought on reading his cattle line was "no, they didn't."

May as well just let it slide because if anyone called him out on it he would probably double back and do some "Well the Buffalo you see..." bullshit and everyone in the room would just nod their head and go along with it.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

kartikeya posted:

quote:

"We also recognize that the Native Americans had the claim to the land, but they lost that claim," Bundy said. "There are things to learn from cultures of the past, but the current culture is the most important."

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

DeathSandwich posted:

May as well just let it slide because if anyone called him out on it he would probably double back and do some "Well the Buffalo you see..." bullshit and everyone in the room would just nod their head and go along with it.

y'know, precolonial america, where the indians rode around on horseback hunting cows

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
Pete:Militants::fake fed anarchist infiltrators:crimethinc"but book", you say, "those last two things are the same!:v:"

It's always the gung-ho firebrands that are the instigators

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
It's cool that he talks about cultures of the past as though the Burns Paiute tribe has been lost to the mists of history.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

foot posted:

It's cool that he talks about cultures of the past as though the Burns Paiute tribe has been lost to the mists of history.

I'm sorry Gary, but I live in your house now, and we need to respect the current culture

also before i got here my dogs just ran freely all over your yard

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

a retard posted:

So I'm cool with the federal government giving a bunch of native americans guns, body armor, and armored vehicles if it means they get to "reclaim" the land from these assholes.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

I'm sorry Gary, but I live in your house now, and we need to respect the current culture

also before i got here my dogs just ran freely all over your yard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_8J4XEeRgM

This just immediately comes to mind.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

A Winner is Jew posted:

So I'm cool with the federal government giving a bunch of native americans guns, body armor, and armored vehicles if it means they get to "reclaim" the land from these assholes.

I would hope every vehicle gets war paint and it's somewhat in line with the old western native attacks

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A Winner is Jew posted:

There is a certain twisted logic to this that I can't help but find appealing.

Like, horrible idea in reality, but great ending if this were a novel

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Now that's a cause I'd donate to.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

The Hutaree investigation, which was an investigation of a centrally-organized militia group which was infiltrated by an undercover agent, took two years and change. It's only been, what, a year and a half since the Bundy Ranch standoff? And I'm not sure why you'd expect an investigation of a decentralized, unorganized, spontaneous one-time group to take less time, especially in the post-Hutaree legal universe where far more evidence is needed to convict a militia group on anything meaningful. Modern federal law enforcement, as a general rule of thumb, prefers to take it slow and thorough and not jump the gun - someone might run around unpunished for a few years, but the federal government always wins in the end.

They don't even have a photograph of a guy who drive a stolen vehicle 30 miles. Not to mention, yet again, the last Bundy stand off resulted in the shooting death of two police officers by members looking to escalate. After 9/11 is the process for an airplane hijacking still "give them what they want and don't resist"?
The local sheriff has already said he agrees with their views, and right wing militias are too hot a potato for anyone to risk their political lives doing anything at any time. There is no secret plan, the entire plan is "hope it goes away".

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkApSnKpIiw

Steams up, presser's going.

Liaison request to "open up a dialog-[stream dead]"

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Crain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkApSnKpIiw

Steams up, presser's going.

Liaison request to "open up a dialog-[stream dead]"

Also they're going to start having a standing 11am meeting every wednesday? So I guess that means they'll be staying a lot longer.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

We also recognize that the Native Americans had the claim to the land, but they lost that claim,"

Uh

Pretty sure that happened to you too

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Uh

Pretty sure that happened to you too

it's cool, he already thought of that. since he's the "current culture" then his land shouldn't be taken, but it was OK to take from the native americans, no big deal,

hahahaha getta load of this guy, he didn't think every action I take every day is justified and I deserve everything life has given me hahahahah

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Ah. Finicum was specifically asking for a Liaison for discussion between the Puite tribe and them.

Because there's anything to talk about beyond "When you gettin the gently caress out?".

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

And now Pete has yet again not brought a windscreen and his video is out.

Oh wait, I mean....the FBI psyops are HACK HIS STREAM~!~!~!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Ninkobei posted:

The average citizen will look at this situation and think that these guys have a screw loose. If anything has been gained it is the perspective of viewing people with extreme right-wing ideas and just how wrong they are. Sure a lot will side with the Bundys but let's face it, they aren't going to change their minds for anything.

People who were on the fence now have a pretty good idea what's behind this particular door.

I wouldn't count on this. That guy who was at the community meeting last night saw a lot of open minds.

quote:

Some ranchers were more receptive to the Bundys’ message. They spoke of their frustration with the environmental regulations on BLM land, and their belief that the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge wants to grow by acquiring ranches.

Buck Taylor runs cattle on about 200,000 acres of land, including private land, BLM allotments and land in the refuge.

After listening to the presentation, Taylor said he was considering the Bundys’ proposition, but thought there should be more meetings to discuss it.

“I am drinking the Kool Aid,” he said. “I haven’t swallowed it yet. I am open to the idea.”

Dwane Schrock, who ranches on private land near Crane, Oregon, also walked away with a positive impression.

“It was good; very informational,” he said. “People need to be educated. If they’re not educated, they’re not going to know what’s going on.”

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
good news, he's going to get the loggers back on the mountain, and he's going to build a mill to create hundreds of jobs

i am JUST IMAGINING them trying to build a plant and supply chains without the support of the state and federal government

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

good news, he's going to get the loggers back on the mountain, and he's going to build a mill to create hundreds of jobs

i am JUST IMAGINING them trying to build a plant and supply chains without the support of the state and federal government

Also low interest loans...from somewhere...just like the government offers for businesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Happened with Hal Turner!

• Locked thread