Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

goons please give me money so i can finally live my dream of owning a playstation 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

whoflungpoop posted:

op closed his thread yesterday and hasnt been back since because even being mocked is like too much work and he already did work for a year and its time for him to have his odd smelling dream financed for free by others

Hows his kickspurter doing?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

goons please give me money so i can finally live my dream of owning a playstation 4

Do you have a tinderella?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Tommy John posted:

And yes, if we don't turn a profit over the summer then that would get dire, but taking all your income and paying down your bills into the future for 6 months before you quit can mitigate that a fair bit.

LMAO! You are loving stupid if you are aware of this but still going for it

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
This got reopened eh? Alright, lemme address a few things.

First up I didn't report anyone, no one who's been worth taking seriously has offended me or my delicate sensibilities after years in this degenerate paradise.

Second, I am not going to go into the particulars of our financials, but basically we got grant loan funding (which is an actual bank loan) for one plan, that plan fell through, and another opportunity presented itself that was better, but more expensive. Due to the terms of the subsidized loan thing, it made sense to try something like crowd funding to avoid some of the pitfalls that could arise from borrowing too much of our startup capital.

If you don't support crowd funding and see us as beggars or opportunists or entitled millennials, I am not here to refute your world view. I legitimately appreciate all the actual feedback about our business plan and we are taking the concerns about the menu to heart and figuring out how to address that. Thank you guys.

To people sure we'll fail because restaurants or because Kensington, again, not here to change your mind, but I appreciate that feedback and I've been here long enough to not exactly get too hot under the collar on these boards.

Filipino food is seriously great, and it's not all unapproachable.

And we did not appear at riot fest, but it's very possible you were one of our customers this year, we served a few thousand orders.

Thanks guys, most of you are the good kind of dicks, some I could take or leave, but I'm not the dick police.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

Dr. Tommy John posted:

First up I didn't report anyone, no one who's been worth taking seriously has offended me or my delicate sensibilities after years in this degenerate paradise.

Second, I am not going to go into the particulars of our financials, but basically we got grant loan funding (which is an actual bank loan) for one plan, that plan fell through, and another opportunity presented itself that was better, but more expensive. Due to the terms of the subsidized loan thing, it made sense to try something like crowd funding to avoid some of the pitfalls that could arise from borrowing too much of our startup capital.

If you don't support crowd funding and see us as beggars or opportunists or entitled millennials, I am not here to refute your world view. I legitimately appreciate all the actual feedback about our business plan and we are taking the concerns about the menu to heart and figuring out how to address that. Thank you guys.

To people sure we'll fail because restaurants or because Kensington, again, not here to change your mind, but I appreciate that feedback and I've been here long enough to not exactly get too hot under the collar on these boards.

And we did not appear at riot fest, but it's very possible you were one of our customers this year, we served a few thousand orders.

Thanks guys, most of you are the good kind of dicks, some I could take or leave, but I'm not the dick police.

i donated man Best of Luck also i made you some grpahic design u can use, so if ur in need of a graphic designer please PM me (its my passion)

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Hilariously in the current context I never thought plat was worth paying for.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Honestly the fact that you have any experience at all selling people food puts you ahead of the game compared to a lot of people who just have some vague dream to open a restaurant.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

HoAssHo posted:

Honestly the fact that you have any experience at all selling people food puts you ahead of the game compared to a lot of people who just have some vague dream to open a restaurant.

the difference is those people are way less likely to end up broke and homeless than the OP

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I'm a 20 something white straight male with no accent or deformities.

Its not fair, but I have to gently caress up well beyond the realm of "tried to open a business doing what i love" to end up unemployed and homeless.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Dr. Tommy John posted:

I wish you good luck with your restaurant and wedding goonsire

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

JakeP posted:

the difference is those people are way less likely to end up broke and homeless than the OP

Oh, I meant people who have a vague dream to open a restaurant and then actually try to do it without ever having sold anyone so much as a single hot dog.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

goons kickstart my coke habit

ive always wanted one and by leveraging the cloud-based crowd funding dynamic paradigm i can rail that sweet sweet fresno flour straight into my dome

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

We sell filipino food at my cafe and like 99% of the people who buy it are filipino au pairs. They always look at me like a grew a second head the moment I start saying the dishes' names in Tagalog, and then they ask to speak to my nonexistent filipino wife.

What I'm saying is I might have a job opening for your wife if things don't work out.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

we gave some dollars to some hobo in alabama 2 years ago and wont shut up about it to this day

who the gently caress thought this thread was a good idea

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

HoAssHo posted:

This is the recipe I used to make all the time. I'm sure it's not the most authentic but it's good as hell and real easy and fast. Also, fairly healthy. From looking at other recipes online it looks like you can change it up, adding carrots and garlic, using chicken instead of/in addition to the pork, etc. There's not one official way to make it, basically.

Pancit

1 boneless loin pork chop (6 ounce; about 1/2 inch thick), thinly sliced
1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces uncooked rice noodles
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 cup thinly sliced green cabbage
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 hard-cooked large egg, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped green onions

Directions:

1. Saute pork over medium-high heat in skillet coated with cooking spray 5 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Add sliced onion and pepper; saute 4 minutes or until onion is soft. Remove pork mixture from pan, and set aside.

2. Soak rice noodles in warm water for 5 minutes, and drain. Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat; stir in noodles, and saute 2 minutes. Stir in soy sauce; cook 2 minutes, tossing to coat. Add cabbage and paprika; saute 1 minute. Add pork mixture; saute for 4 minutes, tossing frequently. Top with egg and green onions.

Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 2 cups).

No kidding? I figured there were all kinds of exotic spices in there. THanks for sharing friend

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I don't like filipino food!!

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

No kidding? I figured there were all kinds of exotic spices in there. THanks for sharing friend

No kidding. All the other ones I looked at online are pretty simple. Just fried noodles, meat, veggies and soy sauce, basically.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Add vinegar calamansi tamarind and maybe a little offal and you can make like 90% of the staples.

No culture knows how to take care of someone under the weather better than Filipinos. Sinigang could regrow a limb.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
OP I've got my wallet out ready to donate here but I'd really like to see an HD video of you speaking tagalog first...... just to make sure you are on the level

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Dr. Tommy John posted:

Add vinegar calamansi tamarind and maybe a little offal and you can make like 90% of the staples.

No culture knows how to take care of someone under the weather better than Filipinos. Sinigang could regrow a limb.
Arroz caldo is pretty much Filipino chicken & rice soup (albeit a little more on the porridge side). That's my go-to dish when I'm sick.

Pancit is pretty easy to make & a great gateway Filipino dish.

Adobo is also easy mode for beginners (vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, meat, braise until tender) with tons of variations.

Still kinda torn about your idea to fuse Caribbean with Filipino but I may be a purist because Filipino food can be really varied depending what region you're from. That said I always feel that some Filipino restaurants fail because Filipino clientele can get too hung up on "this isn't how Lola made it!" Then again, if you don't have that many Filipinos in your area that wouldn't be an issue. In a weird way you may be better off with a simpler/stripped down menu that can appeal to a broader audience. Chinese food in America is really nothing like what it's like back in the mainland, where dishes can also vary by region.

I do wish you the best of luck on your endeavours, OP. If I'm ever in Toronto I'll see if you're around & ask for a nice bowl of dinuguan.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Full disclosure I cannot say anything that isn't the name of a food or like thank you and hello and poo poo so that video is likely to be pretty offensive

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

How will you prevent graffiti paint from getting into the food, since you picked knockoff Haight Ashbury for the location?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Dr. Tommy John posted:

Full disclosure I cannot say anything that isn't the name of a food or like thank you and hello and poo poo so that video is likely to be pretty offensive

:stare:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Will you have a donations bucket at the door?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

FuhrerHat posted:

the problem with kensington market is that you can only serve 1 clientele

the locals are broke and cheap and will eat your food all the time if its cheap
the tourists are rich and stupid and will spend $9 on an artisan bagel or grilled cheese, but only once a year, and only in summertime

so if you plan to stay open all year you need to bring your costs severely down to satisfy the locals
but then tourists wont buy anything because nobody trusts $2 meat skewers

and your busy hours are going to be 2pm during afternoon errands, and 2am when the bars close.

tough problem

This is true. One store does nothing but sell really expensive popcorn to tourists.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

As for the merit of the Caribbean side, it wasn't solely because those are the dishes we eat together at her family gatherings, but I totally feel you about Filipino purists. It's interesting how much less willing some are to try our takes on stuff that's really familiar to them.

When we sat down and talked about it, talking about what makes Filipino food unique and recognizable and what emerges as popular within that culture, there were just a lot of parallels. Sour flavor profiles play a bigger role than people expect, ingredients overlap, techniques mirror each other.

Our jerk chicken adobo sort of highlights that. Its fusion when you see it on paper, but it tastes like one cohesive dish that doesn't require an adventurous palate or familiarity whatsoever.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Tommy John posted:

Its not fair, but I have to gently caress up well beyond the realm of "tried to open a business doing what i love" to end up unemployed and homeless.

its after you fail at running the business and have to put yourself into severe personal debt to try to maintain the failing business that you become broke and homeless, unless you mean you can move back in with mom and dad, in which case you are broke and homeless but not on the street.

Like what is this post? If you were so privlidged why do you need to beg for money on the internet? Clearly you don't have the money to fund and maintain this, and have no idea of how expensive it is to run and maintain a restaurant. People lose their homes all the time trying to keep their stupid rear end restaurant running dreams alive. Its like the number one business that is most likely to fail.

You are a loving idiot

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
How much "restaurant managing" experience do you have between the two of you? And by that I do not mean shift supervisor at your local Hardees

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Is there any open Kickstarter right now for nuking Toronto?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

the only thing i willingly give to 20 year olds is herpes

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 19, 2016

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Toronto:

6 year old girl trapped in a 52 year old mans body

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

etalian posted:

Is there any open Kickstarter right now for nuking Toronto?

p sure trump doesnt have an official kickstarter

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

this is my dad

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

donate money

or i'll kick ur rear end behind Tito Ron's

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Tommy John posted:

nah dude being white isn't a shield from being broke but making money is

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Dr. Tommy John posted:

Our jerk chicken adobo sort of highlights that. Its fusion when you see it on paper, but it tastes like one cohesive dish that doesn't require an adventurous palate or familiarity whatsoever.

Now that you mention it this sounds kinda neat. What other fusion dishes do you plan on making? I believe there's some Caribbean goat recipes that could be fused with caldareta.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

a starwar betamax posted:

So can someone tell me whhy phillipeno food smells like microwaved dog food?

They love spam so much that they have fast food outlets devoted to it. Maybe they put spam in it?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I meant that I can become reemployed pretty easily at a rate that can prevent our homelessness, as we live fairly modestly. Also, our business model is designed similarly, to stretch a relatively small amount of capital as far as possible. Were leasing a counter but we don't have to pay all the TMI associated with a location that housed only us. Because it's shared, the rent is cheap, and because we have some built in support from the churro traffic and a good deal of interest from our fans, were hoping to be able to make this work. We're keeping the overhead about as low as is actually possible, so while there's no lack of risk in any food service endeavor, but the inference that were completely oblivious to it is unfounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Built your dream on a wing and a churro.

• Locked thread