Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SeanBeansShako posted:

At least he was being trained to be a captain, Mondo is the more useless of the pair.

I will never understand why that happened. They should've just thrown them out the airlock immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raxivace posted:

I like ZZ a lot, but you can't pull the "At least it doesn't have a Katz" card when BEECHA is in it.

Beecha, man. BEECHA.

He knew when to quit and is still alive.

boom boom boom posted:

Tomino writes good female characters. Sayla, Haman, Elle, Roux, All the girls from Turn A, Shakti, Ana and Cynthia and Sara from Overman King Gainer, and all the girls from G-Reco, even if we clearly disagree about that.
Not saying that he can't, it's when he tanks a female character he goes all the way.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

tsob posted:

Especially weird considering your avatar. I'm with you on that though, both because I really dig 00 and because G-Reco didn't bowl me over.

I think the story and pacing in G-reco were meh, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't think the mechs in reco were awesome. Tomino also knows how to make some cool robot fights. Hence my avatar.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

DamnGlitch posted:

People often bring up that real humans do irrational things which is very true but theres prooobably a reason its brought up as a thing that people dislike about tomino shows so often.

The reason is that 99% of people in the west who watch Gundam consume media in a monomanaiacal genre sphere filled with poo poo writing, cardboard characters, and an almost dogmatic approach to following cliches.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

oohhboy posted:

He knew when to quit and is still alive.
Not saying that he can't, it's when he tanks a female character he goes all the way.

You quoted two posts here. In one, you're taking part in a discussion about who is the least likable male character in Z and ZZ, and there's three real good choices because those three dudes are the absolute worst and everyone hates them

With the second post, you're arguing that the existence of intensely terrible and unlikable female characters in shows like Z and ZZ is proof that Tomino is a sexist.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Talking about designs, I can't think of anything I liked that came from G-Reco. Thankfully though Thunderbolt is getting something beautiful. :swoon:

Though, can we get an anime about the Titans Test Team just taking a new garish prototype out every week and having Seinfeld-like on-base antics? I'd be down for 26 episodes of test pilots and Titans engineers clashing about the newest crazy prototype they've got to build and test.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Down for that, especially if the weird guy is Jerid's equally ineffective cousin.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Talking about designs, I can't think of anything I liked that came from G-Reco. Thankfully though Thunderbolt is getting something beautiful. :swoon:

Though, can we get an anime about the Titans Test Team just taking a new garish prototype out every week and having Seinfeld-like on-base antics? I'd be down for 26 episodes of test pilots and Titans engineers clashing about the newest crazy prototype they've got to build and test.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love pretty much all of the G-Reco machines.They are creative and awesome looking.

My favorite however will always be the Montero.

Owns and owns hard.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boom boom boom posted:

You quoted two posts here. In one, you're taking part in a discussion about who is the least likable male character in Z and ZZ, and there's three real good choices because those three dudes are the absolute worst and everyone hates them

With the second post, you're arguing that the existence of intensely terrible and unlikable female characters in shows like Z and ZZ is proof that Tomino is a sexist.

Hathaway got tanked, but then there was loving Quess. Think of how many females die in Zeta to fuel Kamille's final attack. Holy poo poo Rocca Londe. ZZ pulls him out of the dive. The males are bridge bunnies while the women do the fighting. I am not saying he is sexist, I am saying when he is in a bad mood, he tends to write women worse off when it comes to their ultimate fates. When you take everything as a whole it works out pretty even

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

mr. stefan posted:

The reason is that 99% of people in the west who watch Gundam consume media in a monomanaiacal genre sphere filled with poo poo writing, cardboard characters, and an almost dogmatic approach to following cliches.

I think its fair not to like something and not be totally disregarded because the "genre is filled with poo poo writing" etc.

There are certainly stupid assholes who dont like tomino gundam because its not schlock shounen poo poo but I really doubt thats why people in this thread are frustrated.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

:geno:

:flashfap:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I love pretty much all of the G-Reco machines.They are creative and awesome looking.

My favorite however will always be the Montero.

Owns and owns hard.

I really like the Elf Bullock myself. Can't quite put my finger on why though

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Gai Trash and the Mack Knife are in my top five favorite MS of all times

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like interesting characters who are pieces of poo poo

Heck when the only thing I hear about a character in a show is that they're likable that usually sends some warning signs my way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

I really like the Elf Bullock myself. Can't quite put my finger on why though

The Elf Bullock I like a lot too. The Mack Knife I wasn't as fond of when I first saw it but I changed my mind once it was animated. The G-Lucifer is great too. So is the Gaitrash actually.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Basically, I'm not inviting fictional characters over for lunch so I don't care if they're jerks as long as they're interesting jerks!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The Elf Bullock I like a lot too. The Mack Knife I wasn't as fond of when I first saw it but I changed my mind once it was animated. The G-Lucifer is great too. So is the Gaitrash actually.

I still find it funny that it's called the G-lucifer, really looks like a bad guy suit, is painted up like the qubeley, and is one of the core good guy suits

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Sakurazuka posted:

Wing is still bad.

Every time I hear about Gundam Wing a little part of me breaks off and sinks to the bottom of the ocean

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

muike posted:

Every time I hear about Gundam Wing a little part of me breaks off and sinks to the bottom of the ocean

And then a little Duo Maxwell in a Death Scythe blows up all of the boats on the surface of said ocean.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think I'd probably be a little more lenient towards it if it weren't for the fact I still view it as Baby's First Gundam since it aired on Toonami, and I haven't stopped hearing about how it's the SICKEST poo poo since

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Just sit back with some close goony friends, crack open some booze and enjoy the insanity of the dub. Think of it as Gundam satire perhaps.

Watching Wing drunk for the first time since I was 13 really was a much better experience.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muike posted:

I think I'd probably be a little more lenient towards it if it weren't for the fact I still view it as Baby's First Gundam since it aired on Toonami, and I haven't stopped hearing about how it's the SICKEST poo poo since

I thought G Gundam completely took that role over these days

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

muike posted:

C'mon wing had some rad mech designs it wasn't all bad.

It also had Trerize.Treize owns.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

oohhboy posted:

Mask has a terrible backstory that doesn't make any sense. It would have been far better off if he was written as part of the slave class. He is angry at Bellri because he is Jelly and because Bellri is BS. After the final battle he just goes "Meh" I guess I have Manny now?. Mask never stood a chance as time and again G-self would just pull some BS move to get out of it. Ok you got me on Chronicle, at least Mask stays alive.

Most of the factions disappear half way through, new ones popup, then the old ones kill each other off, then more fighting and it ends. You could have tossed out half of the story and it wouldn't have made a difference. Did they have to spend so much time establishing there are space fleets in orbit? or that the Space Pope knows nothing? Monday does gently caress all and brain damage isn't character development. Who cares about all these other factions if you turn around and vaporize them with no consequences.

Then there is the asinine episode where everybody starts fighting over space trash. Everybody was trying to do their own little gambits, but it was just embarrassing. People died over space trash.

They're not really a slave class; if memory serves they're basically an analog for the Burakumin, a Japanese minority who face discrimination, even today, for their (or more to the point, their families') connections to various occupations tied to death, ranging from butchers and slaughterhouse workers to executioners and even undertakers.

[The Burakumin issue in Japan is interesting to research, though pretty goddamn depressing just how much it can gently caress over lives]

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Srice posted:

I thought G Gundam completely took that role over these days

Yeah but G Gundam is good

edit: I also think a lot of G Reco and peoples' reception to it is dependent, maybe, on certain views, or cultural differences

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muike posted:

Yeah but G Gundam is good

Yah definitely.

I do get tired of hearing about it sometimes though, mainly since my personal experience has been that it's harder to get people who are like that into other Gundams, but at least with Wing you can come up with easier selling points.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Hopefully G Gundam is an easy gateway into Giant Robo, though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

G Gundam is good but it tends to get overrated and to be honest I feel like people focus on the 'he does a cool technique" stuff over the actual strong thematic and character arcs that really drive the series.

(This is true of Japanese fans too, where Try's G Gundam homage Sekai is like everything generic about G Gundam without the strong stuff.)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ImpAtom posted:

G Gundam is good but it tends to get overrated and to be honest I feel like people focus on the 'he does a cool technique" stuff over the actual strong thematic and character arcs that really drive the series.

I don't remember the fights nearly as well as I remember Domon's character development and the camaraderie between the new Card Crew. Not to mention Rain always getting poo poo done.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muike posted:

I don't remember the fights nearly as well as I remember Domon's character development and the camaraderie between the new Card Crew. Not to mention Rain always getting poo poo done.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean for that to sound like 'everyone who likes G Gundam feels that way." Just the sort of generic "You gotta watch G Gundam!!" stuff.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah I feel ya Im just agreeing that those were the strongest points for me. I do love appreciate that Imagawa has for Wuxia and HK cinema that bleeds through. I kinda want to see him do a hardboiled thing. Has he?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

Hopefully G Gundam is an easy gateway into Giant Robo, though

I definitely try that every chance I get, though sometimes it's a hard sell even though it really shouldn't be.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone in this thread who's seen G gundam but none of Imagawa's other works: G gundam is the worst thing he's done in my opinion. This is not a statement about G gundam being bad, but everything else he's done being fantastic

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just sit back with some close goony friends, crack open some booze and enjoy the insanity of the dub. Think of it as Gundam satire perhaps.

Watching Wing drunk for the first time since I was 13 really was a much better experience.

Yeah, Wing is great once you realize it's a comedy. There is actually some interesting melodrama hidden in there too. The action is pretty stale though.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lanz posted:

They're not really a slave class; if memory serves they're basically an analog for the Burakumin, a Japanese minority who face discrimination, even today, for their (or more to the point, their families') connections to various occupations tied to death, ranging from butchers and slaughterhouse workers to executioners and even undertakers.

[The Burakumin issue in Japan is interesting to research, though pretty goddamn depressing just how much it can gently caress over lives]

Nope He use to be food or classed as food. It's that stupid. He wishes his back story was Burakumin since it would make sense.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

And Relena is a pretty kick rear end if hilariously impulsive character.

And like somebody else mentioned, Treize!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Droyer posted:

Anyone in this thread who's seen G gundam but none of Imagawa's other works: G gundam is the worst thing he's done in my opinion. This is not a statement about G gundam being bad, but everything else he's done being fantastic

Sometime I wanna watch his non-mecha shows and see if it still holds true

But Mister Ajikko is like 100 episodes and the only subs out there are from HK bootlegs...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kuntala being used as food makes perfect sense: The circumstances after all those wars were just *so* dire that they had no other choice but to eat other humans. Pretty terrifying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Nope He use to be food or classed as food. It's that stupid. He wishes his back story was Burakumin since it would make sense.

well yeah, the Kuntala aren't 1:1 with the Burakumin, but it's similar and/or an allegory