Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
A bit chilly this morning at a brisk 55.

Go away winter, don't come round no mo'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The cold weather killed my car battery. Still showing 12.5 volts but ain't got dick for amps. Borrowed my dad's car charger and got it hooked up now.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Well a merry gently caress you, too. Felt like poo poo after class and assumed it was just lack of sleep, came back home and intended on napping for like two hours. Woke up after an hour with my guts in the middle of a vigorous tumble cycle, a spastic five year old playing with my body's thermostat, and I can't remember where in my poo poo I've got a thermometer stashed.

Aaaaaand my final's on Thursday. :downsbravo:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SumYungGui posted:

The cold weather killed my car battery. Still showing 12.5 volts but ain't got dick for amps. Borrowed my dad's car charger and got it hooked up now.

What does it show while running? If it's not about 14.5 or so, get it tested by a real machine at a parts store because it's probably hosed.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

68 tomorrow at 64 Thursday. Plan to get 100 miles of cycling in and 10 miles of running. Southwest sucks unless you hate winter which I do

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
15 degrees tomorrow. I'm gonna wake up around 10 am to start my day off right by pounding through two pots of coffee and dragging my rear end to class and then back home.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Godholio posted:

What does it show while running? If it's not about 14.5 or so, get it tested by a real machine at a parts store because it's probably hosed.

Only a year old so gonna be a little pissed if it's on the way out but that's the next step. Tomorrow's a light class day (and my number of fucks given is about negative this year) so if it doesn't start then oh well. Take the day off and get it checked out. No engine lights so don't think the alternator is an issue, it has been getting slowly weaker as the cold ramped up and most of my driving is only 15-20 minutes to class. Hoped I was just draining it and the cold finished it off. Got it started yesterday and drove an hour each way to my dad's to pick up the charger suspecting this might happen and as a backup measure. Started up fine when I got back last night as a test, this morning wouldn't even turn over.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Here's a lesson I learned a few years back. If it's winter and you think your car battery is about to go, just get it replaced. Even if things improve after it warms up again. I had that going on with in my car which never struggles to start even in -40 weather but ignored it, and it stopped doing that once it warmed up. Then spring rolled around and my battery was just flat dead one morning. Hit it with the charger to get it started, parked it at work, tried to start it after a couple seconds of it being off, completely dead. Jumped it again at lunchtime and drove straight to Sears.

We've had some pretty cold nights, -10 to -18 and thereabouts. Surprisingly it hasn't killed any drunk people yet. A couple years ago they found a guy who had been reported missing, dead under some random person's porch a month after the fact.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 20, 2016

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
68 right now, was 39 when I got to work. Living on the side of a mountain in the desert continues to be alright

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

6-12" predicted this weekend

fuckin finally

your boyfriend is back in town huh?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MF1_MrEMpew

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
I'm having my house's 20 year old water heater replaced this week as a precautionary measure. Anyone want to share their story of a catastrophic failure so the hit to my wallet hurts a bit less?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

The Slithery D posted:

I'm having my house's 20 year old water heater replaced this week as a precautionary measure. Anyone want to share their story of a catastrophic failure so the hit to my wallet hurts a bit less?

My mom just had to replace her AC unit that catastrophically failed, to the tune of 6300 bucks. It could always be worse!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

pretty weak

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

SumYungGui posted:

If it's showing 12.5 with no load it's probably hosed dude

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

decent. 7/10

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

Well a merry gently caress you, too. Felt like poo poo after class and assumed it was just lack of sleep, came back home and intended on napping for like two hours. Woke up after an hour with my guts in the middle of a vigorous tumble cycle, a spastic five year old playing with my body's thermostat, and I can't remember where in my poo poo I've got a thermometer stashed.

Aaaaaand my final's on Thursday. :downsbravo:

Where the gently caress are you in sxh

The Slithery D posted:

My dads water heater went and opened up and kept trying to refill it's new leaking self.

He got brand new hardwood floors outta the deal from insurance, and upgraded to a tankless water heater.

My water heater is in the attic of this 3 story home. And is as old as I am.

I'm getting all new everything when that thing goes. Can't wait for Jewish lightning to strike twice in our family

Its all I got for you man.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
My water heater is in the garage. Only thing the water would damage is some random crap that I give no fucks about.

I do want to swap it out for a tankless heater tho.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

SumYungGui posted:

Only a year old so gonna be a little pissed if it's on the way out but that's the next step. Tomorrow's a light class day (and my number of fucks given is about negative this year) so if it doesn't start then oh well. Take the day off and get it checked out. No engine lights so don't think the alternator is an issue, it has been getting slowly weaker as the cold ramped up and most of my driving is only 15-20 minutes to class. Hoped I was just draining it and the cold finished it off. Got it started yesterday and drove an hour each way to my dad's to pick up the charger suspecting this might happen and as a backup measure. Started up fine when I got back last night as a test, this morning wouldn't even turn over.

if its only a year old then bring it back to where you bought it and have them test it. unless you bought some bottom of the barrel piece of poo poo, you should have a warranty on it still

also if you wanna do a quick and dirty test on your alternator, get your engine started then disconnect one terminal from the battery, turn on your high beams and ac to full blast. if it shuts off during any of that, your alternator is probably hosed. if the lights start flickering, make sure your belts and pulleys are in good order

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Got my PC set up as a media server so I can cast all my video to my PS4. :toot:

bengy81
May 8, 2010

ded posted:

My water heater is in the garage. Only thing the water would damage is some random crap that I give no fucks about.

I do want to swap it out for a tankless heater tho.

Last time I went to the plumbing depot I asked about installing a tankless and they told me that the unit needs to be mounted on an outside wall and be able to be center to atmosphere, both criteria I can't meet without :homebrew:

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Here's one of the workbenches I built this weekend.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
noice. i need to buy some word working tools.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Get a Kreg jig for making pocket holes. Easy to use and makes joinery a breeze.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Yeah unlike you, his is an honest 6"-12".

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Where the gently caress are you in sxh

I mean my brains feel like lethargic scrambled eggs right now, but huh?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Lazy Reservist posted:

Get a Kreg jig for making pocket holes. Easy to use and makes joinery a breeze.

Woah, I've never heard of these before. If I ever start woodworking in any capacity that needs more than I can accomplish with a jigsaw and dremel, that's at the top of my shopping list.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

bengy81 posted:

Last time I went to the plumbing depot I asked about installing a tankless and they told me that the unit needs to be mounted on an outside wall and be able to be center to atmosphere, both criteria I can't meet without :homebrew:

That only matters if it's gas. You can get electric ones.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Wood working isn't really my thing but I am absolutely getting into metal working once I am not renting and have a workshop area. All the normal stuff like welding and various hand tools. Not sure I can get away with anything bigger than that but I may just accept the marital trouble and get a decent press and drill anyway. I took a blacksmithing class so that's definitely going to happen as well because it as fun as poo poo.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Lazy Reservist posted:

Here's one of the workbenches I built this weekend.

What are the pieces on the floor?

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Extra boards for the miter saw bench I'm finishing up.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

I mean my brains feel like lethargic scrambled eggs right now, but huh?

What school are you in that's doing finals on my schools first day of spring classes? You in some weird program of something?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

What school are you in that's doing finals on my schools first day of spring classes? You in some weird program of something?

Oh, winter semester. Spring semester starts on the first for me.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

bengy81 posted:

My garage is technically an 'outside' wall. Should be doable then for either kind. But I still have other poo poo I need to do before blowing money on that.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
New Suicide Squad trailer premiered tonight. The production crew filmed shot some visual effect plates in Chicago. The scene with the helicopters is flying right past my office, but all they kept was the bridges and immediate surrounding area.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmRih_VtVAs

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
That movie is looking less and less cool as more info comes out. And that Joker appears to suck. Maybe the movie will turn out good anyway!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Suicide Squad is the platonic ideal of "trying too hard".

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Superhero movie Ragnarok goes through what, 2020 now?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I dunno. I think putting it up about the same time as Batman v Superman is brilliant marketing. By trailer comparison, Suicide Squad looks like it will be downright watchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

why is dc so bad at making movies of its characters

• Locked thread