Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

oohhboy posted:

Nope He use to be food or classed as food. It's that stupid. He wishes his back story was Burakumin since it would make sense.

No, Lanz is saying that the Kuntala are an analog or the Burakumin. An analog is a thing from which an analogy is drawn. He's not saying that Kuntala are literally Burakumin, but that they are analogous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Talking about designs, I can't think of anything I liked that came from G-Reco.

:wtc:, dude. The bugmechs own.

G-Reco has the Grimoire, Elf Bullock, Montero, Kabakali, Jahannam, Dahack, Moran, Poligit, Z'Gocky, and Gastima; and the G-Self is one of the few non-terrible Gundam designs. It has some of what are consistently the best designs in all of Gundam.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

oohhboy posted:

Nope He use to be food or classed as food. It's that stupid. He wishes his back story was Burakumin since it would make sense.

dude it's allegory

G Reco is Very, Extremely steeped in modern japanese problems such as militarization and social class structures

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

:wtc:, dude. The bugmechs own.

G-Reco has the Grimoire, Elf Bullock, Montero, Kabakali, Jahannam, Dahack, Moran, Poligit, Z'Gocky, and Gastima; and the G-Self is one of the few non-terrible Gundam designs. It has some of what are consistently the best designs in all of Gundam.

Sorry to have offended your delicate sensibilities? If you're gonna go and say that every other gundam is terrible, I'll just say that G-Self might just be one of the worst mecha designs I've ever seen. Maybe for the next series we can get Moriki to design something awesome and spikey.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The logistics using people for food wouldn't work as it would be incredibly inefficient. Sure it would work for a little while after the apocalypse where the survivors eat each other, but we are thousands of years after. If you're farming them you would have to feed them people food unlike normal farm animals where you feed them whatever plant material short of wood. People don't grow fast enough nor put on enough meat to even consider such a process not to mention incredibly resource negative.

muike posted:

dude it's allegory

G Reco is Very, Extremely steeped in modern japanese problems such as militarization and social class structures
It's a really poor allegory meant to shock but fall flat as it is utterly ridiculous. If he had selected something more believable like he was a test tube baby or clone, poor, no class family, orphan, or lifted untouchables or Burakumin wholesale.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also the logistics of using giant humanoid combat robots instead of drones or takes are also incredibly inefficient. The thematic relevance is more important.

oohhboy posted:

Sure it would work for a little while after the apocalypse where the survivors eat each other, but we are thousands of years after.

You kind of missed the point that nobody is doing that to Kuntala now. The stigma is still tied to them hundreds of years after it happened. The cannibalism is not still going on at the time of G-Reco. The idea that they are stained or inferior because of it is where the allegory comes in.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 20, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

oohhboy posted:

The logistics using people for food wouldn't work as it would be incredibly inefficient. Sure it would work for a little while after the apocalypse where the survivors eat each other, but we are thousands of years after. If you're farming them you would have to feed them people food unlike normal farm animals where you feed them whatever plant material short of wood. People don't grow fast enough nor put on enough meat to even consider such a process not to mention incredibly resource negative.
It's a really poor allegory meant to shock but fall flat as it is utterly ridiculous. If he had selected something more believable like he was a test tube baby or clone, poor, no class family, orphan, or lifted untouchables or Burakumin wholesale.

I can't believe my show about giant colorful robots fighting in space isn't entirely realistic! What the gently caress!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Sorry to have offended your delicate sensibilities? If you're gonna go and say that every other gundam is terrible

You did not offend me.

Also, to be clear, it's Gundams (the mechs) that I think look terrible 99% of the time, not mechs in Gundam (the franchise).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tactical realism is a bad road to go down with lots of things, especially anime.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Also the logistics of using giant humanoid combat robots instead of drones or takes are also incredibly inefficient. The thematic relevance is more important.

You kind of missed the point that nobody is doing that to Kuntala now. The stigma is still tied to them hundreds of years after it happened.

Giant humanoid combat robots are always a pass because you're watching Gundam. People farms for meat is absurd no matter how you look at it. Just because you have giant robots it doesn't mean you get a pass on poorly thought out allegory.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The real question is: What does Kuntala meat taste like?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Giant humanoid combat robots are always a pass because you're watching Gundam. People farms for meat is absurd no matter how you look at it. Just because you have giant robots it doesn't mean you get a pass on poorly thought out allegory.

So why did you excuse it yourself in your argument? Your own words, not mine: "Sure it would work for a little while after the apocalypse where the survivors eat each other, but we are thousands of years after" The Kuntala thing was a little while after the apocalypse, not thousands of year after. That was the entire point. It was supposed to be a horrifying disgusting part of history.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

closeted republican posted:

The real question is: What does Kuntala meat taste like?

Long pig.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

oohhboy posted:

I very much doubt people were ever farmed for meat and they don't need to have been. It's probably closer to real world examples, the best example of which I can think of being that when Charles Darwin was travelling about the Beagle he came across a tribe that practiced occasional cannibalism as a stopgap during lean years when famine was a possibility. What they did was that if meat was scarce they started by eating elderly women in the village since they were deemed the most expendable members of the society. Presumably it's possible that an alternate scenario could happen where instead of finding the most expendable group a society in need of meat/food could instead turn to the most expendable families or something instead, with them then placing shame on that name. Or just a particular family are chosen by lot or chance or circumstance and then stigma attached to them afterwards because of it. It's bizarre, but it's not meant to be taken 100% seriously.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Droyer posted:

Anyone in this thread who's seen G gundam but none of Imagawa's other works: G gundam is the worst thing he's done in my opinion. This is not a statement about G gundam being bad, but everything else he's done being fantastic

He did script writing for Violinist of Hamelin's TV series, and that show was not so good. Getter Armageddon is a fun but not so amazing production, though you can only credit him for episodes 1-3 and those are some of the best in the show, so it doesn't count against him.

This statement is otherwise broadly true, even though I love G Gundam to death and it's one of my favorite Gundam productions. I think G is one of the few entries in the series which is centered almost entirely around character development rather than focused on broader philosophical and political conflicts, which is why I think it's so unique. There's a big battle for the fate of the world and a world-destroying superweapon on the loose but those are just a backdrop for the real story which is Domon learning to be a better person with the help of a lot of people.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

oohhboy posted:

It was quite clear what was going on, it didn't make the fighting any less stupid.

Possibly the most meta post in adtrw ever.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

Possibly the most meta post in adtrw ever.

This forum got its rename for a reason.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I can't say I'm a fan of the show, but I thought G-reco's mobile suits were all imaginative and managed to give the series a solid visual identity in a way I hadn't really seen since Syd Mead's work on Turn A. I think the G-Self looks goofy and a little too "cute" for my tastes but you can't say it's not extremely appropriate for an overprivileged-yet-well-meaning doofus like Bellri.

The non-mass produced mobile suits in G-reco seem to be designed as visual extensions of their pilots in a bit of a super robot way, which I think is neat.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Sorry to have offended your delicate sensibilities? If you're gonna go and say that every other gundam is terrible, I'll just say that G-Self might just be one of the worst mecha designs I've ever seen. Maybe for the next series we can get Moriki to design something awesome and spikey.

You know, I often see you scooting into discussions with all the grace and subtlety of an elephant that's eaten a bowl of habaneros. And when someone disagrees with you, you get a bit petulant.

I think on an artistic level I think Thunderbolt's designs are kind of boring and I feel that the archetypical Gundam aesthetic has been on a bit of a two-steps-forward, two-equidistant-steps-back holding pattern since Zeta gave us the Gundam Mk2. The trend towards spikiness has led to a lot of samey silhouettes and muddled designs, to the point where something like the detail-busy yet classically refined Unicorn looks positively elegant.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also I understand why the Thunderbolt designs are what they are, it's just that the "heavy anti-debris armor" aesthetic just isn't working for me.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Curves>Spikes

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ah, but what about curvy spikes?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I can't remember which one it was but one of the more famous mechanical designers from early gundam wrote something once about how spiky designs are a really easy trap for newer designers to fall into, since they look impressive superficially but almost always end up having the exact same silhouette because its an inherently limited idea to apply to humanoid designs.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the idea i have of Thunderbolt from the few suits i've seen is: strap a fuckton of shields and/or weapons to [insert Zaku II or OG Gundam here]

which isn't terribly exciting compared to basically any other series

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Droyer posted:

Anyone in this thread who's seen G gundam but none of Imagawa's other works: G gundam is the worst thing he's done in my opinion. This is not a statement about G gundam being bad, but everything else he's done being fantastic

I really like G Gundam but I've never seen any of his other work. Give me some recommendations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dangerous Person posted:

I really like G Gundam but I've never seen any of his other work. Give me some recommendations.

Giant Robo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

Giant Robo is his best, but Shin Mazinger Z Impact is also well regarded. he's done some others too but those are the big ones/good places to start.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
His adaptation of Tetsujin 28 is great too, and possibly his best work even including Giant Robo.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yeah, well G Gundam actually has a satisfying conclusion.

Getter Robo Armageddon got its plot completely derailed after episode 3 (when he left), Shin Mazinger ends with a giant dickpunch of a cliffhanger, and Giant Robo was apparently supposed to be continued but plans fell through or something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

Glorious.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Darth Walrus posted:

Gundams need pom poms, epaulettes and really really tight pants.

Napoleonic Tallgeese for all.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 20, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dangerous Person posted:

:siren:GIANT ROBO:siren:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Yeah, well G Gundam actually has a satisfying conclusion.

Getter Robo Armageddon got its plot completely derailed after episode 3 (when he left), Shin Mazinger ends with a giant dickpunch of a cliffhanger, and Giant Robo was apparently supposed to be continued but plans fell through or something.
Shin Mazinger's is great because it is the full story of Z. :v:
And while GR had plans for potential further installments, it tells its own story just fine.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Motto posted:

Shin Mazinger's is great because it is the full story of Z. :v:
And while GR had plans for potential further installments, it tells its own story just fine.

Plus: kanjite knight.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Thanks for the recommendations, robot people

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does anyone have the gif of the Type 61s ambushing a Zaku II?

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does anyone have the gif of the Type 61s ambushing a Zaku II?

https://jii.moe/V1JtBbuul.webm

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yessssss...

That gif will never not be funny to me. It's like a looney tunes joke with the timing. Also, Gordon Lightfoot.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Motto posted:

Curves>Spikes

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yessssss...

That gif will never not be funny to me. It's like a looney tunes joke with the timing. Also, Gordon Lightfoot.

It's also an accurate depiction of how you're meant to play Gihren's Ambition as the Federation for the first 15-20 turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

You know, I often see you scooting into discussions with all the grace and subtlety of an elephant that's eaten a bowl of habaneros. And when someone disagrees with you, you get a bit petulant.

I think on an artistic level I think Thunderbolt's designs are kind of boring and I feel that the archetypical Gundam aesthetic has been on a bit of a two-steps-forward, two-equidistant-steps-back holding pattern since Zeta gave us the Gundam Mk2. The trend towards spikiness has led to a lot of samey silhouettes and muddled designs, to the point where something like the detail-busy yet classically refined Unicorn looks positively elegant.

Sorry, but I just think it's a little tiring to hear curdistan jump in every time about how every gundam design is poo poo and how [suit] is so "elegant and simple". It just seems like another way of saying boring, and needlessly inflammatory for a thread about said gundams.

I don't even know where this spikiness = samey thing came from. To go with the Moriki example from earlier, comparing a suit like Zeorymer to Xardion or Penelope, you get a drastically different silhouette in each, and most importantly, they're interesting. Having detail layered under detail so a different angle shows off stuff that was previously hidden is so much more engaging to look at and notice stuff you didn't see before.

Unfortunately, the downside to that is there's no way it can possibly be animated, at least not until 3D modelling takes another dozen leaps forward or so in ease of use and the ability to blend into a show. Even in the 90's animation budget glut, a show like Silent Mobius couldn't handle animating Moriki's stuff, and those were some of the more organic designs he's done.