Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Flubby posted:

That's some heartbreak. Once I get to level 5 going for Melting's B-skin I forget to breath. gently caress little hunter.

I've learned in my attempts that I basically have to get up and jog around a bit before 5-3 or my hand will shake and I'll die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Mr. Despair posted:

Seems like a really good way to run out of ammo fast.

no, i don't mean that you would just hold the aiming stick and fire endlessly, more like you could flick the aim stick for a few singular shots, or hold it if you did have something like the machine gun. basically, i want the game to interpret each aim stick movement as a single shot.

i am guessing that is not an option that is possible with the way the game is programmed. it's a shame, because i would love to play the game more with a controller than m/kb, but i guess it's not meant to be the way i envision it

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Trick Question posted:

...I think that's enough nuclear throne for today.

I once died on a B skin run on 7-2, looking for the last enemy, saw on ammo chest, didn't think and grabbed a mimic instead. I had to go for a walk after that.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

homeless poster posted:

no, i don't mean that you would just hold the aiming stick and fire endlessly, more like you could flick the aim stick for a few singular shots, or hold it if you did have something like the machine gun. basically, i want the game to interpret each aim stick movement as a single shot.

i am guessing that is not an option that is possible with the way the game is programmed. it's a shame, because i would love to play the game more with a controller than m/kb, but i guess it's not meant to be the way i envision it

man uses revolver, breaks analog stick

flick flick flick flick flick flick-

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

homeless poster posted:

Theoretically you could use InputMapper to create a macro that presses your designated fire button when you push the stick in a certain direction. Do that for all 4 directions and I think that might work? It might double-press if you push it diagonal but that won't matter because the weapon will be on cooldown anyway. That's the only thing I can think of.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Also maybe I'm weird but I find WASD to be much better for twitch dodging than a stick

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah unless a game is built around analog control letting you do small movements I prefer wasd. Especially if it's a game which has a slow movement key(which is something I would actually really like in NT)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The very. first. time. I tried to get the melting B Skin (and I never play melting!) I died on 7-2. I knew right then that while I could inevitably get the skin just through repeated twice, it would never be that easy again. I wasn't even really trying! I just fired up melting for the hell of it, started playing the levels...and just kept going. Worst thing is I didn't even need to die in 7-2. I was safe behind a hammer head corner and was playing peekaboo with a couple cops and one of them shot me; it was the kind of carelessness that would never matter except for that run.

I still try for the melting skin every once and a while but I quite intentionally don't even take it seriously so while I've never gotten much past the scrap yard I'm not really stressing out. The more I really try to get the unlock the more that first attempt will gall me.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

How viable is Rogue considered? The IDPD showing up immediately can be a headache, but her starter rifle is a bonkers version of my favorite early game weapon and the Portal Strike can delete a large group of mutants in one click. I suppose Boiling Veins is a must have for her, considering her power is explosions.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Personally I like a hybrid style of controls. Use a controller D-pad for movement and mouse to shoot. Have to set up joy2key to do it, cause the base game doesnt support controller and mouse at the same time.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Maluco Marinero posted:

I once died on a B skin run on 7-2, looking for the last enemy, saw on ammo chest, didn't think and grabbed a mimic instead. I had to go for a walk after that.

Everyone skips gamma guts for the better mutations but it'll still save your life sometimes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Did Rogue ever get buffed? Last time I made any appreciable progress with her was when the button to unlock everything was still on the main menu and she was by far the worst character.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Her right click is somewhat stronger than it was before, and her ultra A is better than when it gave you (almost never)portal strike drops, but she's still a challenge character by design. She's maybe my favorite though.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Her right click is somewhat stronger than it was before, and her ultra A is better than when it gave you (almost never)portal strike drops, but she's still a challenge character by design. She's maybe my favorite though.

I was playing her earlier tonight in my quest to get yv's b-skin. she's seriously fun, and portal strike [esp. w/throne butt] is so splendid to use. those shielders, though...

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Rogue is trash, and probably designed to be that way as a challenge character. Her active is, at best, useful for clearing out the IDPD that spawn because you're playing Rogue and her passive explodes any cover you might be hiding behind.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
The fact that IDPD enemies have a better chance to drop pickups is kinda a buff to rogue, and they buffed the portal strike's damage too. Rogue's still a challenge character but it's a little better, at least.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Her active actually does quite a bit of damage, especially against big targets(when the explosions overlap they each can do damage to the same target). It's really great for nuking vans as IDPD exit them, and once you're already on loop Rogue's IDPD downside doesn't really matter. I think playing her trains you to deal with IDPD better, and helps warm you up for dealing with them on loop since you'll be fighting them the whole game, and running wild over all the earlygame enemies with the Rogue rifle is really fun.

I like taking Throne Butt+Boiling Veins+Ultra A(doubled portal capacity and 2 portal strike ammo per canister)+Open Mind because you can get multiple portal strike canisters per level with it, which means 4 portal strike ammo on roughly 1/3rd of levels and two elsewhere.

Still on that crown grind, got 3 more loop crowns as robot tonight and only have two crowns to go on him:

look at my ammo in that last one lmao

after this I'll only need to unlock some crowns on Melting, Plant, Steroids and Rebel.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
there was actually a short period of time in which Rogue's throne butt portal strikes were insanely strong. Like, up to 90 damage per explosion strong, which is absolutely nutso bonkers amazing. I think nearly everyone missed out on it because they're scared of Rogue but that's when I got my best score iirc

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Rogue Rifle is just a fun weapon to use early game, I wish there was a heavy version of it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if looping while holding the Rogue Rifle(or leaving it behind like Chicken's sword->black sword) turned it into a Heavy Rogue Rifle I would never play another character

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 20, 2016

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Rogue's blast armor is pretty weird. Anything that destroys projectiles in this game also detonates explosives immediately. Like, if you jackhammer an IDPD grenade it'll explode in your face. What this means for Rogue is that if you fire a bazooka and get hit as you fire it, your blast armor will detonate your bazooka shot and it will blow up in your face.

At the same time Super Blast Armor is pretty fun if you pick up the Blood Hammer. Every time you miss, everything around you dies and you can dig through walls for 1HP.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Jeez, is Fish top-tier or something? Looped to 4-1 L1 on my first run this morning. Found a Super Plasma Cannon with enough ammo mutations to feed it. That thing is a beauty. :allears:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Roluth posted:

Jeez, is Fish top-tier or something? Looped to 4-1 L1 on my first run this morning. Found a Super Plasma Cannon with enough ammo mutations to feed it. That thing is a beauty. :allears:

Fish is good because you can go full ham on weapons because of his passive and its better once you get a couple of ammo mutations, his active is also good but his throne butt is kinda garbage.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

IronicDongz posted:

if looping while holding the Rogue Rifle(or leaving it behind like Chicken's sword->black sword) turned it into a Heavy Rogue Rifle I would never play another character
lil' hunter's super rifle

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like that fish has a garbage throne butt because it means don't I have to take that mutation. To greater or lesser degrees I feel the same way about crystal and yv, whereas with some others like steroids and robot I really want that butt and then with rouge I don't even feel like I have the character I want without the butt and maybe boiling veins.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
robot's throne butt is skippable a good amount of the time

it can be easily replaced with rabbit paw and/or open mind and/or plutonium hunger. or you can just focus on weapon specific mutations and QoL utility poo poo like extra feet and hammerhead. really anything. robot is the easiest character, IMO, it's not like he needs the help

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's true about robot,I should have used melting as an example of a butt I like.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

YV throne butt is really good, the anomaly is that YV can be really god good with or with out that particular mutation. In order to make good use of it you need trigger fingers, Ultra B and a really good weapon. Weapons like the flak cannons (both), splinter piston, super splinter gun, Seeker shotgun and Super plasma cannon will wreck the poo poo out of anything in a loop if you braaap it.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
btw, I stopped playing this game for a while before recently when it came out, is lucky shot worth taking now?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Still no, the ammo gains are too unreliable.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Ok so for future runs: if you have neither shotgun shoulders nor bolt marrow and you have to pick between super flak cannon and super crossbow, which is the better pick? I often run robot if that matters.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I have a soft spot in my heart for the flak cannon, and w/o bolt marrow I think it's better for efficiency's sake. With super xbow you'll waste a lot of shots on the walls in narrow corridors

Seriously though, the flak cannon is such a great weapon. Good for crowd control, good for taking down big targets, good fire rate, it even sounds cool

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
i'm a huge fan of lucky fingers, it fills you up with ammo so well. generally not ammo for the weapons you're using, but hey, switching weapons regularly is the spice of life...?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

yeah, lucky shot isn't as great as some stuff, but it's not completely useless either.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I still think heavy heart needs a pretty big buff.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't know, I think Heavy Heart is pretty strong for the purpose of ensuring you get something you want. It increases the weapon drop rate of enemies by 210%, which is like... a lot. And it has the advantage of 100% always showing up if you take 3 weapons mutations and have another levelup after that. There's a lot to be said for that reliability.

Mindblast posted:

Ok so for future runs: if you have neither shotgun shoulders nor bolt marrow and you have to pick between super flak cannon and super crossbow, which is the better pick? I often run robot if that matters.
I would probably always take Super Crossbow. I'm assuming you have trigger fingers, and trigger fingers super crossbow is one of my favorite things in the whole game. I think it's more handy than SFC because of the longer range, SFC kinda wipes out stuff in a big circle directly in front of you while super crossbow kills in a spread as far as the bolts will go. It's also much faster, with exactly 1.00 reload time while super flak cannon takes 2.13 seconds(which is very long). So if you even get one kill with Super Crossbow(like killing a shielder as they unshield) you'll be reloaded pretty quickly, while the SFC will still take around a second and a half unless you kill multiple guys in one go.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

lil' hunter's super rifle
this is basically a hyper rifle, though

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
TBH I do find Lucky Shot useful for loops, especially for non-fish ammo heavy builds like steroids. As long as you kill something you'll never run out of ammo (if paired with RG and TB.)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Lucky Shot isn't really that bad, yeah. I think a lot of people tried it back when it was actually that bad, and as a result haven't used it since then, but it's been buffed like 4 times from how it was originally. It won't get you as much ammo as Rabbit's Paw but it gets you ammo without the need to pick up drops, which is nice, and it scales up the more enemies you're killing at a time.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
Holy poo poo, I actually looped :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

homeless poster posted:

CJacobs posted:

Theoretically you could use InputMapper to create a macro that presses your designated fire button when you push the stick in a certain direction. Do that for all 4 directions and I think that might work? It might double-press if you push it diagonal but that won't matter because the weapon will be on cooldown anyway. That's the only thing I can think of.

Just posting to say that I tried this out and it actually works! I am still figuring out how to get it to work for characters other than Steroids but I'm certain it's possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkb8NJgvJEc

edit: Figured it out. Adding a wait command causes the macro to no longer auto-update, but adding a PAUSE of about 0.2 seconds works just fine. I'll make an updated video at some point soon.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 21, 2016

• Locked thread