Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

EL BROMANCE posted:

One thing that should be noted is it does a very nice job at rendering subtitles (presuming Plex uses the defaults anyway). White on a slightly transparent dark background is really readable. Sometimes I've given up on media players because I simply can't read the subtitles when there's very bright scenes. Could do with a bit of padding to the left and right because the first and last character touch the very edges of the background, but that's an incredibly minor complaint.

If you go into settings you can completely customize this, actually. I'm not sure if you can increase the spacing, but you can change font, color, outlines/no outlines, box opacity, and maybe a few other things.

Edit: Okay, you can't change that spacing, though it doesn't look too bad to me? But you can mess around with the other stuff and see if that fixes things.

I personally set the text to yellow, with a black outline around it, for that classic Arrested Development feel.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh neat, I'm usually a sucker for going into every menu option but must've skipped that. Tbh they're pretty much perfect for me, I can understand people liking the yellow ones but a contrasted background is preferable to me.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I would really like a CN/AS app. Would also like direct ports of the Synology iOS apps. TeamViewer would also be pretty handy.

I'm surprised there aren't more sideload apps. Maybe the USB C port puts up a barrier to entry.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

kefkafloyd posted:

I would really like a CN/AS app. Would also like direct ports of the Synology iOS apps. TeamViewer would also be pretty handy.

I'm surprised there aren't more sideload apps. Maybe the USB C port puts up a barrier to entry.

the CN/AS apps on iOS are buggy, constantly-crashing garbage, though. I really doubt they can handle a TV OS app on top of that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bolind posted:

I think the TV has toslink out, but the amplifier is fully analog. It's a NAD 317.

I'm not particularly married to that amp at all. I'm just a cheap basterd.

Then spend your $30 on one of these instead:

http://www.amazon.com/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS

You may have to get into your TV (and probably Apple TV as well) settings and make sure it's set to output stereo over TOSlink instead of surround, but that should do the trick otherwise.

Or it may be time to consider a new amp?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
It would be a better idea to get a new amp or an HDMI splitter that can split discrete channels. Everything is going discrete uncompressed channels over HDMI.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

It would be a better idea to get a new amp or an HDMI splitter that can split discrete channels. Everything is going discrete uncompressed channels over HDMI.

Yeah, personally I'd be more comfortable splitting it from the HDMI stream, than relying on the TV TOS-link. And unfortunately, the only A/V out on the ATV 4 is HDMI.

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI

9foxtails posted:

I just found something great on the new apple tv. If you have a Netflix subscription and you look on the apple store to rent something, it will let you know you can play it there versus paying for it. Who knew Apple was this honest?

That's just part of the much touted universal (not yet universal) search function I believe. Once this gets opened up to other apps it will be awesome!

Interesting thing though - I am in Australia but I use a DNS to access the USA catalogue, but universal search still searches the Australian Netflix catalogue, which is my iTunes Store location. I know this because it will occasionally tell me something is available to stream and then when I select it, it fires up Netflix and does nothing, then I check on my phone and it's there in the Australian catalogue. Contrary to what every mouth breather who doesn't understand the concept of exclusive contracts and thinks that it's all Netflixs fault that our content sucks, there is some things we have that USA doesn't currently, such as Suits.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

flosofl posted:

The latency would be crazy bad for audio most likely. In that I mean everything will look like a cheaply dubbed foreign movie with sound being out of synch.

Your best bet is to buy a $30 splitter box on Amazon that will pull the audio stream out of the HDMI signal.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Optical-Converter-VHD-H2HSAs/dp/B00KBHX072

Actually, with both of my devices connected through the same ethernet switch, I experience no latency hooked up this way. I watch netflix every night with the sound from my ATV4 running to a current gen Airport Express, and everything is in perfect sync. Dunno if doing it all wirelessly would gently caress it up tho.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 20, 2016

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

empty baggie posted:

Actually, with both of my devices connected through the same ethernet switch, I experience no latency hooked up this way. I watch netflix every night with the sound from my ATV4 running to a current gen Airport Express, and everything is in perfect sync. Dunno if doing it all wirelessly would gently caress it up tho.

Yeah, there's a delay of I think 2 seconds, or so, but it's artificial and Apple syncs the stream to account for it.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
Probably been mentioned before but seriously, 10/100 Ethernet? I was using that and thought local streaming was going slow, sure enough, saw it wasn't gigabit. Switched to wireless (with a nice new router) and I get like 600 mbps. It made a huge difference in buffering times when using Infuse for local 1080p files.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

poppingseagull posted:

Probably been mentioned before but seriously, 10/100 Ethernet? I was using that and thought local streaming was going slow, sure enough, saw it wasn't gigabit. Switched to wireless (with a nice new router) and I get like 600 mbps. It made a huge difference in buffering times when using Infuse for local 1080p files.

Holy poo poo, I didn't even realize only 10/100 was even an option for components anymore :stonk:

I honestly didn't even notice since I have a nice shiny 802.11ac router, but god drat. I can't imagine the cost savings makes that much difference even at millions of units. You'd think that with *everything* having 10/100/1000 that 10/100 would almost be a custom order.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It is when you want to save money and not stuff in a PCI bus, and run USB instead. According to iFixit the LAN module is a 10/100 SMSC LAN9730 chip. The Raspberry Pi does the same thing.

Edit: fixed earl

bolind fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 20, 2016

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
gently caress, I assumed it was gigabit too. Guess I'm unplugging that from the wired network.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flosofl posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't even realize only 10/100 was even an option for components anymore :stonk:

I honestly didn't even notice since I have a nice shiny 802.11ac router, but god drat. I can't imagine the cost savings makes that much difference even at millions of units. You'd think that with *everything* having 10/100/1000 that 10/100 would almost be a custom order.
You'd be shocked at the garbage that ISPs give you. When I was on Fios, the modem/router was 802.11b/g at a time when n was ubiquitous, and since it was Fios, adding your own equipment meant essentially running a subnet since turning off the routing functions was apparently impossible. I wouldn't be shocked if they were 10/100 ethernet, as well. Last I checked (and it's been a bit since it's not available where I live now), that was still the best they were offering.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Endless Mike posted:

You'd be shocked at the garbage that ISPs give you. When I was on Fios, the modem/router was 802.11b/g at a time when n was ubiquitous, and since it was Fios, adding your own equipment meant essentially running a subnet since turning off the routing functions was apparently impossible. I wouldn't be shocked if they were 10/100 ethernet, as well. Last I checked (and it's been a bit since it's not available where I live now), that was still the best they were offering.

you're thinking of the old Actiontec (which I still have, because I got it for free and I don't actually use it for wireless). For outside world access, it's perfectly fine; just turn off the built-in wireless and string it to your existing gigabit network and use a separate WAP for wireless. It too only had 100mbps ports but since I only use one for an uplink, it doesn't matter. I'll probably hang on to it until it dies.

But the current non-Actiontec router (the quantum gateway, they're calling it, since it supports over 100mbps download speeds) is apparently quite good, in that it supports all modern Wifi standards. You don't get it for free, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

you're thinking of the old Actiontec (which I still have, because I got it for free and I don't actually use it for wireless). For outside world access, it's perfectly fine; just turn off the built-in wireless and string it to your existing gigabit network and use a separate WAP for wireless. It too only had 100mbps ports but since I only use one for an uplink, it doesn't matter. I'll probably hang on to it until it dies.

But the current non-Actiontec router (the quantum gateway, they're calling it, since it supports over 100mbps download speeds) is apparently quite good, in that it supports all modern Wifi standards. You don't get it for free, though.

Yeah, that's what I did, but how many Fios customers do you think actually do that? I bet it's a pretty small percentage.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

poppingseagull posted:

100 mbps ethernet should really be fine for 1080p video, unless you want the whole thing to be cached in memory.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah as long as it's the only thing on 100mbit it should be fine. That still gives you about 10MB/sec of throughput after overheads.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

empty baggie posted:

I just succeeded hooking the ATV and the Airport Express up with ethernet, works fine, no noticable delay.

Hit another snag though. The ATV can only be on Ethernet OR WiFi, not both at the same time.

kefkafloyd posted:

gently caress, I assumed it was gigabit too. Guess I'm unplugging that from the wired network.

Shouldn't make a difference. If you have a switch designed in the current millennium it won't let one port drag down the speed of the rest.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

My ATV3 has been doing this weird thing lately where the video blanks out and then comes back in. It varies when it does it and the audio always stays on. I've not been able to find anything online directly relating to this. Should I just assume it's dying and pick up a 4th gen?

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

smackfu posted:

100 mbps ethernet should really be fine for 1080p video, unless you want the whole thing to be cached in memory.

Correct, for normal playback. In my case I was watching skiing movies, and I tend to skip around those quickly looking for certain segments I particularly like. So on 10/100 I'd sit for 6-7 seconds waiting for it to buffer, while on WiFi it would be a second or less. I don't think most AppleTV apps let you modify the buffer size.

Considering I just had to unplug my ethernet cable for that improvement, I'd say it was worthwhile.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
After much fiddling I've got my ATV3 running with Plex Connect as well as airplay from my phone or iMac, I have to say it's awesome and has pretty much replaced my PS3 unfortunately I can't find a plex channel that works for streaming TV shows/Wrestling otherwise it would replace my Rpi as well any reccomendations?

I've also been pondering whether I can access the external HDD I have connected to my satellite TV reciever via Plex, it is connected to the network and the reciever is linux based (openbox).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plex kinda sucks at live streams, but try cCloud. It's about as reliable as any other free streaming solution though (ie not very).

With regards to wrestling, WWE Network is always going to be you best bet unless you need Raw/Indies.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

housefly posted:

My ATV3 has been doing this weird thing lately where the video blanks out and then comes back in. It varies when it does it and the audio always stays on. I've not been able to find anything online directly relating to this. Should I just assume it's dying and pick up a 4th gen?

I had this problem and..... That's what I did. The ATV4 had slightly similar problems that were solved by turning off CEC, though, so I'd try using it on another TV to see if the same thing happens. It might be the TV being weird about HDMI and possibly needing a firmware update. (This TV also had issues with a new model cable box.)

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Bass Bottles posted:

I had this problem and..... That's what I did. The ATV4 had slightly similar problems that were solved by turning off CEC, though, so I'd try using it on another TV to see if the same thing happens. It might be the TV being weird about HDMI and possibly needing a firmware update. (This TV also had issues with a new model cable box.)

Ahhh...maybe that's the issue. We just got a new tv and this started happening around the same time. I never put two and two together. I'll try disabling it and see if that resolves the issue.

Edit: cec was already disabled. :-(

housefly fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 20, 2016

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

EL BROMANCE posted:

Plex kinda sucks at live streams, but try cCloud. It's about as reliable as any other free streaming solution though (ie not very).

With regards to wrestling, WWE Network is always going to be you best bet unless you need Raw/Indies.

Yeah I've got the Network running its indie stuff like Lucha underground that I'm after access to

Thanks I'll give ccloud a whirl

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lucha Underground is available on a legit stream you can probably AirPlay to the Apple TV, and maybe will get an actual app at some point.

It is hard to keep up with the amount of different services there are for one sport though.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

EL BROMANCE posted:

Lucha Underground is available on a legit stream you can probably AirPlay to the Apple TV, and maybe will get an actual app at some point.

It is hard to keep up with the amount of different services there are for one sport though.

Fubo? I'm in the UK so it is only really usable through a VPN I tried using it but doesn't seem to work for one reason or another, also it's a live stream so if I'm not able to watch it live I'd miss it.

A shame as the El Rey Network seems like the kind of channel I'd enjoy

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gaz2k21 posted:

Fubo? I'm in the UK so it is only really usable through a VPN I tried using it but doesn't seem to work for one reason or another, also it's a live stream so if I'm not able to watch it live I'd miss it.

A shame as the El Rey Network seems like the kind of channel I'd enjoy

El Rey is fantastic. They had a "show all the Godzilla movies except the Emerich one and the latest one" marathon around Christmas, and every now and then they have a Shaw Brothers Kung Fu movie marathon.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I presumed they had VOD too.

Also as a fellow UK person, VPNs are old news - look into a DNS service like UnblockUS or AdFreeTime. They're super cheap (like £2 a month or something) and they run silently in the background and don't affect your bandwidth, but tell a bunch of supported sites "hey, this guy is in the US or UK or Australia or Dubai" etc based on what's the best location for you to be. Combined with someone in the US who can auth your channels on their cable line, you can use all the stuff you get on Apple TV like Fox, ESPN, HBO, Showtime etc. It's really useful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is the YouTube app working correctly for everyone? For hours no videos will play, I just get a "An error occurred loading this content" message on anything. Am in my account fine and able to add things to playlists and watch later etc, but nothing plays back.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is the YouTube app working correctly for everyone? For hours no videos will play, I just get a "An error occurred loading this content" message on anything. Am in my account fine and able to add things to playlists and watch later etc, but nothing plays back.

Haven't noticed any issues using ProTube.

I've been using ProTube for a while, even after YouTube forced them to stop allowing downloads. I like the interface better.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I noticed this problem this morning. I could play videos just fine while logged out though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Haven't seen protube before, will look it up.

Wondered if it was a logged in thing, at least it's not just me then. Just airplaying everything from my phone for not, better than nothing. I rely on subscriptions and watch later, so easier than logging out.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I just had a similar issue on Netflix. When I went to play a movie it said there was a problem with my account, and could only stop it by deleting and reinstalling the app.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Maybe I'm missing something, but in TV Episodes is there an easy way to skip to a specific season? Or am I stuck swiping through all the drat episodes? I'm doing a re-watch of some older shows so they're all marked as "watched".

I know I can open the show in the store and get into the specific season and start playing from there, but it's a bit more inconvenient. I suppose I can just mark episodes as "unwatched" so it just picks up from there if I select play in the app. It just seems like a pain to have to go into iTunes on my mac and do that.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I find Siri so frustrating on the Apple TV, which really surprises me. Like, here's a typical interaction:

Me: Play Key and Peele
Siri: I can't play your music.
Me: Show Key and Peele
Siri: Here's a list of popular movies. (I don't even understand where this one is going wrong.)
Me: (Ugh)

Maybe "Watch" would work?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

smackfu posted:

I find Siri so frustrating on the Apple TV, which really surprises me. Like, here's a typical interaction:

Me: Play Key and Peele
Siri: I can't play your music.
Me: Show Key and Peele
Siri: Here's a list of popular movies. (I don't even understand where this one is going wrong.)
Me: (Ugh)

Maybe "Watch" would work?

I use "Search for..." with videos because I didn't know what the vocabulary was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I usually say "I want to watch..." And that has been pretty consistent.