Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Plom Bar posted:

There's a handful of puzzles that benefit from remembering poo poo you've seen, and little bits of worldbuilding and exposition that are cool if you're a big nerd like me. And it helps to know that all the stuff you see is recorded in your journal. But none of it is absolutely critical.

I noticed that if its actually important, the game will say "you learned something important" or "this will have consequences".

I'm being nice to everyone, though i'm using the time rewind to do jerk things, then undoing them, like Victoria's photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

twistedmentat posted:

I noticed that if its actually important, the game will say "you learned something important" or "this will have consequences".

Not always

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

LoseHound posted:

Also, for anyone who is into choice-based games starring teen girls and analogue technology, Oxenfree is out and its rad.
I also recommend Birdland, which feels a lot like Life is Strange, except instead of time travel powers the main character dreams about anthropomorphic birds.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

SirKibbles posted:

They literally did run out of money one of the devs posted about it, the ending seems rushed and pieced together because it is. On the bright side it seems like some of the writing problems were the classic modern adventure game problem of head writer gets moved to work on season 2. Plus if loving Homefront can get a sequel we're definitely getting one of an actual well selling new IP.

This explains a lot thanks :suicide:

Quest For Glory II posted:

also I maintain that the vision Max got about the tornado came before she got her powers and the way the narrative is constructed in that first episode it only feels logical to assume you were given the powers to try and stop that event from happening, not "NEVER USE THESE MAGICAL POWERS YOU JUST RECEIVED FOR SOME REASON. you have just been given a gift DONT USE IT!!! NEVER EVER USE IT!!!"

the latter I think would have only made sense if they had written an additional ending into episode 1 where you just let Chloe die like in the final episode but I'm pretty sure you have no choice but to use your powers in that situation? i'm sorry game but Spec Ops the Line you are not

It's kinda like they just straight-up forgot how their own game started. I even replayed the first chapter to see if I missed anything but nope, seriously seems that the tornado was always inevitable and not even connected to you. All your powers could accomplish was what they were only ever really good for, saving Chloe :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
People can survive a tornado, the town is full of bunkers too, I didn't hesitate a second to save Chloe.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

SimonChris posted:

I also recommend Birdland, which feels a lot like Life is Strange, except instead of time travel powers the main character dreams about anthropomorphic birds.

Birdland posted:

LIZ: (leaning in closer) I see emojis and Instagram filters in my dreams. I wake up swiping phantom touchscreens. I haven't been on Tumblr for three weeks! Three weeks! Do you know how many fandoms I'm in on Tumblr? Do you have any idea how many ships I've got going?

YOU: ...no?

LIZ: (less than an inch from your face) Seven, Bridget. Seven ships.

YOU: Please don't kill me.

(She stares at you for a few seconds and then lets you go.)

YOU: Um. Are you... okay?

LIZ: I'm... yes. I'm fine. I just...

(She closes her eyes.)

LIZ: (as if reciting a mantra) Elizabeth. 14. INTP. She slash her. Elizabeth. 14. INTP. She slash her. Elizabeth. 14. INTP. She slash her. Pricefield trash.

Kill me. Also give me more choice based games.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

LoseHound posted:

Kill me. Also give me more choice based games.

This is amazing and I want it engraved in my tombstone completely devoid of context.

Also I started a thread for Oxenfree here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760779

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
If the xbox one version is any indication looks like Director's Commentary is coming to all previous owners of the game. It's already available on the Xbox One version and will be an extra download free dlc thing from the store for the PS4 version on January 25th. Steam version :shrug:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

havenwaters posted:

If the xbox one version is any indication looks like Director's Commentary is coming to all previous owners of the game. It's already available on the Xbox One version and will be an extra download free dlc thing from the store for the PS4 version on January 25th. Steam version :shrug:

Will the commentary for episode 5 just be "We are sooooooooo sorry" repeated over and over?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I bought the special edition because I have lost control of my life. It's a lot of money for an art book and a soundtrack but welp.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

I bought the special edition because I have lost control of my life. It's a lot of money for an art book and a soundtrack but welp.

I'm right there with you. I could have just bought the soundtrack piece meal with amazon/bandcamp but whatever. Probably would have cost $30ish anyway.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

havenwaters posted:

I'm right there with you. I could have just bought the soundtrack piece meal with amazon/bandcamp but whatever. Probably would have cost $30ish anyway.

The soundtrack is on Spotify too so it's basically available for free.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Rosalind posted:

This is something I'm willing to put up money to own a physical copy of, especially with that disc art :swoon:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Rosalind posted:

Well I guess I'm just lighting $40 on fire for an art book. :shepspends:

edit: Though yeah the disc art and having a cd is nice. Only thing I have with a cd player though is my old car/computers.

edit 2: Commentary is up on steam along under dlc.

edit 3: There might not be episode 5 commentary. Commentary's in the form of 9(?) videos talking about some of the more important moments in the game I think.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 19, 2016

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

havenwaters posted:

Well I guess I'm just lighting $40 on fire for an art book. :shepspends:

edit: Though yeah the disc art and having a cd is nice. Only thing I have with a cd player though is my old car/computers.

edit 2: Commentary is up on steam along under dlc.

Was wondering what that 1 GB download was but yeah I'm definitely watching the ep 5 commentary

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

BobTheJanitor posted:

Will the commentary for episode 5 just be "We are sooooooooo sorry" repeated over and over?

This was...uhhhhh...hmmmm...we just wanted to....uhhhhh...

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

This was...uhhhhh...hmmmm...we just wanted to....uhhhhh...

Really I'm hoping that director commentary would finally give definitive proof that one of the writers (who was presumably the spark of genius that made the earlier episodes GOTY material) was out sick or quit or on vacation or something. It just seems so obvious that something happened and I'd love to have some closure on that.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I personally am fond of the "no one knows how to write a loving ending and the writers at DONTNOD are no exception" theory.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Plom Bar posted:

I personally am fond of the "no one knows how to write a loving ending and the writers at DONTNOD are no exception" theory.
It's the most baffling thing why so many writers don't just have a basic ending in mind, that way while its open to change at least you have an idea of where it will all end up.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

It's the most baffling thing why so many writers don't just have a basic ending in mind, that way while its open to change at least you have an idea of where it will all end up.

That approach failed spectacularly for How I Met Your Mother.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Plom Bar posted:

This is something I'm willing to put up money to own a physical copy of, especially with that disc art :swoon:

LIS was 100% my GOTY for last year so I have no problem springing for extra stuff. What a great god drat game.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think Life Is Strange has a good ending.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think it has a good ending. Unfortunately, they forgot to put it in the game.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Same. If they ever do an HD update they really need to flesh out the "Bad" ending but besides that its good.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Plom Bar posted:

That approach failed spectacularly for How I Met Your Mother.
That's because they forced themselves into a certain ending from the beginning.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Plom Bar posted:

Recent Counterpoints: Undertale and Tales From the Borderlands

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MonsieurChoc posted:

People can survive a tornado, the town is full of bunkers too, I didn't hesitate a second to save Chloe.

I don't think it's an accident that in the Save Chloe ending you don't actually see any of your friends/family dead. Whether they even are or not is entirely beside the point anyway. Choosing to "save" Arcadia Bay isn't choosing to save the people there, but rather to save the entire system, notion, hell idea of Arcadia Bay. It's basically the difference between choosing the Old Testament God or the New. Do you appease the angry, vengeful Universe (God) by human sacrifice (like Abraham was asked to)? Or do you choose Chloe as your Lord and Savior? For me, it was easily the latter. :colbert:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Recent Counterpoints: Undertale and Tales From the Borderlands

Not familiar with the latter, but Undertale's endings' saving grace is the irresistible charm of its characters. "And then they lived happily ever after because everyone conveniently forgot about the initial war between humans and monsters while also forgiving Asgore for killing six kids" and "And then they all died because you, the player, are literally Satan" ain't exactly Shakespeare.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

Life is Strange has an excellent ending, it just isn't the one people want.

A lot of people wanted a 'good' ending where everything is sunshine and roses but that was never in the cards. Absent that the game does has an absolutely perfect ending as I detailed a little after release:

quote:

The bae over bay (love this) ending might be shorter but that doesn't mean it had more care applied to it. I'd actually argue that thematically the 'good' ending of the game is the ending where you save Chloe and leave the town to it's fate.

The very first time Max uses her powers it is instinctual. Unlike pretty much every other use of her power in the game (First photo and weird timestop thing) Max isn't doing this intentionally, it's just something that happens. From a certain point of view it is arguable that this is actually fate. Max was always supposed to save Chloe, so much so in fact that she breaks the drat laws of physics to do it without even realizing who it was she was saving. From Max's perspective the first time round is the way things were supposed to happen. That very first time she rewound history was something just as out of her control as the death of Chloe's father, it was the way things were meant to happen. Yes she changed things after that, but the tipping point as the game presents itself to us is the very first time around the circle, that it is using her power at all that fucks things up. By choosing to go back and do nothing Max is actually altering history and fate the same as William's death.

Ultimately the tornado is just the death of William writ large. It is an awful thing that happens to Max and Chloe, a giant world shattering event that comes into their lives and makes a mess of everything in a way that is completely beyond your control. Just like with William max has the power to go back and change things if she wants to, she can save William's life and she can stop the tornado but in both instances it comes at a heavy price. (Ha... get it?)

The game presents you with the alternate timeline as a way to reinforce this. People are spending a lot of time talking about how this is a game where the moral is "Don't time travel it fucks everything up" but I actually feel the moral could also be argued to be more along the lines of "If you could change things, would you really want to?" Its why I think the Save Chloe ending is the stronger of the two going along the game's themes.

The Save Arcadia Bay ending is a grim and depressing ending that works within the game's view on trying to gently caress with fate. You can change things, but are they really better? You can save William but Chloe has to beg to be put out of her misery. You can save the town but you have to listen to your best-friend/lover bleed out on the floor of a public washroom. Max clearly didn't think saving William was worth Chloe and I'd argue that even going into the supposed 'good' ending she still is clearly miserable about the choice with the only thing that lightens her spirit being the memory of Chloe in the form of the blue butterfly.

Meanwhile the Save Chloe ending expands on themes from throughout the game. The Save Chloe ending is all about dealing with reality how it is as opposed to how we'd like it to be. The tornado was always going to happen (it's the first thing we see in the game!), and all the time travel fuckery in the world isn't going to fix it without an unacceptable tradeoff. Max makes her choice and she lives with it. Things don't get better at once, but despite driving out of a wreckage laded down filled with the bodies of their loved ones the tone of the ending is overwhelmingly optimistic. Chloe and Max are moving on, accepting the world as it is and trying to find the happiness within that rather than warp it to suit a yearning for what should be better but never really is.

Even the music choices say a lot. The 'good' ending is Spanish Sahara which is a song about an awful nightmarish hellhole that serves as a metaphor for trying to get over trauma that ultimately will never, ever leave you. The Save Chloe ending gets Obstacles which is a profoundly optimistic piece about moving forward in spite of, well, obstacles. It is also notable as being the song chosen for the original release trailer and the end of episode one, meaning that it bookends the series quite nicely.

Of the two endings I'll agree that the Save the bay ending had more closure, but only in the realm of "Life is poo poo". The actual good ending for the series is open ended, and like the series it is about making the best of the hand the universe deals you instead of giving into the belief that you can make it better.

Having played through the game again recently I stand by pretty much everything I wrote back then. Episode five could have used a tighter narrative focus and better gameplay (what the gently caress with the stupid part in the town and weird nightmare bullshit) but as far as sticking the landing you can tell that the Sacrifice Arcadia Bay was an ending that was decided in the very earliest drafts and carries along beautifully with the lessons the game tries to teach the player. I have my complaints with the fifth episode but for me it knocks the last few minutes out of the park.

The Mime
Jan 21, 2008

ill get the moose back
I think the reflection of Max in the bucket picture is the only selfie that has a "warped" image of her? It probably wasn't intentional since the butterfly was the focus, but I thought it was pretty neat that it functioned as the catalyst for her time warping powers.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Plom Bar posted:

Not familiar with the latter, but Undertale's endings' saving grace is the irresistible charm of its characters. "And then they lived happily ever after because everyone conveniently forgot about the initial war between humans and monsters while also forgiving Asgore for killing six kids" and "And then they all died because you, the player, are literally Satan" ain't exactly Shakespeare.

That's the epilogue, and not really what I'm talking about, since none of that is actually particularly relevant to the story. Usually when people talk about the ending, they are talking about the bits that come before that. At least that's what I'm talking about. The ending of Undertale is alternately either the flowey fight and immediate aftermath up until the phone call (which is epilogue), the true lab/Asriel fight/final walkaround/cliff scene is the pacifist ending (the montage after that is epilogue). The genocide run doesn't have an epilogue,so the ending there really does happen at the end.

Undertale had a really really good ending, for me, because it got 100% investment and paid off everything that had been put into getting it.

LiS, on the contrary, had an ending that actively pulled me out and away from the story over and over again, then simply... cut off moments after the climax, with nothing else I'd done up until that point having mattered.

Actually, you know what's a really good example of a great ending?

The ending of the Kate Suicide story arc in LiS. Now that had everything that marks a good ending. Investment. Payoff. Meaningful stakes. Proper resolution. It was everything the ending of LiS wasn't.

Caros posted:

A lot of people wanted a 'good' ending where everything is sunshine and roses but that was never in the cards. Absent that the game does has an absolutely perfect ending as I detailed a little after release:
The problem here is I don't think you have any understanding of why people didn't like the ending, because that's not what anyone I know who disliked it wanted.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 20, 2016

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Caros posted:

Yeah, but no. It has the building blocks of a good ending, which a thoughtful person can expand upon to make something, as you've helpfully illustrated. But what the game gives us to work with is literally just 'nah' *rips photo* *ollies out*.

Sometimes it's hard to tell at first glance whether a vague story is a masterfully light touch implying untold depths of meaning, or just an empty rushed facade with nothing propping it up. But it's pretty easy to figure out when you start digging in to it. LiS has too many dropped plot threads and completely fails to bring any sense of satisfying closure to its story arc.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

If anybody doesn't know yet the developer commentary is up on Steam. Go to DLC page, click play game. Quit game, then go to LiS game page and click the check box for the commentary to download it.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

It is also available for download on all platforms' respective download services, including legacy consoles.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

It is also available for download on all platforms' respective download services, including legacy consoles.

Except (for at least PS4) You have to wait til next week because someone didn't push it to the sony server in time for the Tuesday update or something dumb like that.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah, but no. It has the building blocks of a good ending, which a thoughtful person can expand upon to make something, as you've helpfully illustrated. But what the game gives us to work with is literally just 'nah' *rips photo* *ollies out*.

Sometimes it's hard to tell at first glance whether a vague story is a masterfully light touch implying untold depths of meaning, or just an empty rushed facade with nothing propping it up. But it's pretty easy to figure out when you start digging in to it. LiS has too many dropped plot threads and completely fails to bring any sense of satisfying closure to its story arc.

I'm a little curious, what would you change? They have a moment of despair watching the town get obliterated, it cuts to nature retaking the area as they drive through wreckage where everyone is clearly supposed to be dead and then literally go off into the sunset as the background music croons about making your way through hard times.

I'll agree that the last episode really needed to be reworked to fix things up, but once you get to the choice I have to say that the intended 'good' ending is really loving solid, at least imho.

Also yay! Developer commentary!

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

precision posted:

Many pages ago, but I have to agree that the Mr. Jefferson twist was the weakest part of the game. Mainly because at the end of episode 1 I was like 95% certain that it was going to happen. It also feels a bit like DONTNOD wanted to include a singular identifiable "bad guy" since all the other "bad" people were arguably just victims themselves.

No sir, I didn't like it.

The Jefferson twist was choreographed so hard because he was the odd-man-out when you are in the office with the three of them and have to place blame. David at that point in the story is being mega-creepy. Nathan at that point is entirely a villain. But then you have idol-teacher and I probably just missed *some* combination of choices, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out exactly how/why Jefferson was even there, let alone as someone to *blame* for something. It really foreshadowed that he was going to be *something* later in the story.

Also, on the topic of the ending, the Club, etc:

I have the strangest recollection, and I am probably wrong, but during the initial vision of the tornado in class, I feel like when you get up to the Lighthouse there's a banner caught against something that has a 1913 date on it. I recall that it gave me the impression that there *had* been a previous major tornado in town, a long while back, and that the Vortex Club is a "hey lets celebrate local history!" type thing, possibly - now that someone mentions the idea the Prescotts know about the tornado - that they had somehow previously used the power to get where they are and suffered the consequence of the town being wiped out previously. But it hinges on that first vision being of *the past* and not *the future* - anyone who still has this installed take a quick look?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GlyphGryph posted:

The ending of the Kate Suicide story arc in LiS. Now that had everything that marks a good ending. Investment. Payoff. Meaningful stakes. Proper resolution. It was everything the ending of LiS wasn't.
Kate's story is masterfully done and will always be the highlight of the game. It really should be a source of inspiration of other devs of doing stuff like player choices right.

Shame the entire game couldn't do the same.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 20, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I saved Kate by killing off my psycho girl friend. Well done me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
The Jefferson twist was literally the point at which the game let you know it had no idea where it was going or what it was doing anymore. Some of ep 4 had been a bit ropey already but that was a total "honest guys we meant to set this up but just kinda forgot" that really set the tone for the complete mess of ep 5.

Plan your stories out before you do a first draft, guys.

• Locked thread