Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Panzeh posted:

The transport is generally the most competitive epic ship but it still sucks. 12 TLTs just melts everything in epic play, unfortunately.

I know people are all on some "fly casual, just proxy everything all the time, it's all just good fun man," but if you're running 12 TLTs I want to see the cards and confirm you paid for 6 K-wings solely so you could be the Enemy of Fun in epic games. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah. 12 TLTs might work great but you wouldn't invite that dude back for an Epic game.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Otisburg posted:

I know people are all on some "fly casual, just proxy everything all the time, it's all just good fun man," but if you're running 12 TLTs I want to see the cards and confirm you paid for 6 K-wings solely so you could be the Enemy of Fun in epic games. :colbert:

The Picard Cube of x-wing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

"Oh man, an epic game! This is a great chance to not break out my big awesome looking huge ship and have a rad as hell frigate dust up, and not trading broadsides as their fighter screens scrum and race to intercept a flight bombers. Instead, I'd rather just run the exact same thing as a standard game, but more of it."

- Someone I don't want to play an epic game with, probably

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Personally I think epic games take way too long in the first place.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spiggy posted:

No problem. I should warn you that my LGS's weekly tournaments are the definition of "fly casual" so the pointers may not hold up well against the more popular builds out there.

I think I've settled on a four F/O list for this weekend:

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Stealth Device (3)

"Omega Ace" (20)
Push the Limit (3)

"Zeta Leader" (20)
Wired (1)
Stealth Device (3)

"Epsilon Ace" (17)
Comm Relay (3)
Shield Upgrade (4)

Total: 100

Overall I like the list but I'm not 100% committed to Epsilon Ace. I like the idea of a 12 PS pilot but he's lacking in firepower for the points. My other options are Omega Squadron Pilot with Juke/Comm Relay for a 2 point initiative bid or Epsilon Leader with Comm Relay to run alongside Omega Ace to undo PTL.

I'm not sure I'm sold on Stealth Device for Zeta Leader. You don't really have the tokens to preserve it, even with Wired.

Corbeau posted:

Still thinking about Whisper lists. I only have TIEs to go with her, so if I don't want to run miniswarm then how about this:

+40% BONUS ARMOR PENETRATION

97 points

PILOTS

“Whisper” (41)
TIE Phantom (32), Tactician (2), Fire-Control System (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

“Omega Leader” (26)
TIE/fo Fighter (21), Comm Relay (3), Juke (2)

Black Squadron Pilot (15) x 2
TIE Fighter (14), Crack Shot (1)

Basically, do ya'll think the Black Squadron Crack Shots can do enough work to make up for lacking a third real pilot?

Black Cracks are pretty good investments for the points. But for 33 points you could ALMOST get a full Soontir, who would be better in every way. If you took off Tactician, you COULD run Soontir.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Otisburg posted:

"Oh man, an epic game! This is a great chance to not break out my big awesome looking huge ship and have a rad as hell frigate dust up, and not trading broadsides as their fighter screens scrum and race to intercept a flight bombers. Instead, I'd rather just run the exact same thing as a standard game, but more of it."

- Someone I don't want to play an epic game with, probably

Yup. I don't think I've played a single epic game as rebels without using both the GR-75 and CR90. I haven't picked up a raider yet, but I got the assault carrier and you bet your sweet rear end it'll be showing up in every epic game I play on the imperial side.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hey it's time for another stupid gimmick list:

Ram-bulance, Revisited

Captain Oicunn (42)
Daredevil (3)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Dauntless (2)

Captain Yorr (24)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Black Squadron Pilot (14)
Crack Shot (1)

Total: 97

There's probably no need for a 3 point initiative bid but nothing is jumping out at me as really supporting the stupid gimmick, even if I downgrade the Black Crack filler to an Academy.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Ram-bulance, Revisited

Captain Oicunn (42)
Daredevil (3)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Dauntless (2)

Captain Yorr (24)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Crack Shot (1)

There's probably no need for a 3 point initiative bid but nothing is jumping out at me as really supporting the stupid gimmick, even if I downgrade the Black Crack filler to an Academy.

Throw a Vader on the shuttle? Or a Mara Jade if you just want to be bouncing on things.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Red Hood posted:

Hey dudes,

You guys really helped me out with some advice on my Imperial list of Whisper, Fel and Omega Leader, especially Spiggy who sent me a PM about tactics - you're great dude.

I need a little more help. My brother wants to jump back in with me now that I've updated my collection and help me practice and maybe even play in the Kit tournaments coming up.

He's set on using Poe, and wants to bring back his favorite from the old days when we played, Wedge. I came up with this idea for him, but I'm unsure if it's viable at all, since I haven't seen anyone mix Poe and Wedge together before. Again, feels like babby's first Rebel list with how much the game has changed.

Poe Dameron (31)
Push the Limit (3)
BB-8 (2)
Autothrusters (2)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Push the Limit (3)
R2 Astromech (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Jake Farrell (24)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 100

[url=https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v3!s!175:18,-1,148,-1:-1:15:;0:18,-1,2:-1:3:;86:27,72:-1:15:&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron]View in Yet Another Squad Builder[/url]

What do you guys think? Is there too many points on Wedge in upgrades? I went with the regular R2 unit so Wedge has more options to clear stress from Push the Limit, but honestly, I'm just slapping things on that sounds cool.

I'm a big fan of wedge at the moment and I think he goes nicely with Poe. I think you will find that Jake built up so minimally wont pull his weight. Ideally he needs PTL and prockets if you want him to get work done.

Personally I would put BB-8 on wedge so he can reveal a green manoeuvre, do a barrel roll, PTL off the barrel roll for a target lock or focus and gain a stress. He then does the green manoeuvre to clear the stress and takes whichever action he didn't do pre manoeuvre. That way every turn he gets to do a barrel roll, target lock and focus all while staying stress free. The barrel roll pre manoeuvre also helps keep him unpredictable, he can slow roll really nicely by continually rolling backwards followed by a 1 forward or bank every turn.

I also think Integrated Astromech is a solid choice on wedge. Boosting is also great but I've found from play testing that it gets used rarely because the target lock + focus + minus 1 agility combo is so potent. The additional durability at 0 extra cost is just incredibly good value.

Put R2-D2 and VI on Poe instead of BB-8 and you have a potent late game ace hunter.

You can fit in a Green Squadron Pilot with PTL, prockets and autothrusters which makes a great blocker or TLT Hunter, but I'd be tempted to do Arvel instead just because he is fun. Arvel with outmanoeuver, autothrusters and outmanoeuver so he can block and harass aces and hunt TLT y wings too.

Poe Dameron (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2-D2 (4)
Autothrusters (2)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Push the Limit (3)
BB-8 (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Arvel Crynyd (23)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Outmaneuver (3)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Total: 98

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I'm actually going to give this a shot at my next game night just to see how Arvel goes.

e: forgot about Chaardan. I guess you have a 2 point initiative bid to screw over Soontir.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 20, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

kingcom posted:

Throw a Vader on the shuttle? Or a Mara Jade if you just want to be bouncing on things.

Daredevil does potentially give me a second ram, right? Unlike similar effects the EPT specifically says it's a manuever.

E:

I'm a little anxious about running my first tournament next month for our store championships. Expecting a big turnout, potentially folks travelling to participate. I've run plenty of STAW events, however those have all been three 60 minute rounds with swiss pairings.

I'm thinking we can seat ~24 and I'm expecting a full house so it looks like looks I should be doing 2 rounds Swiss, then cut to 2 elimination rounds (pairing off the top 4 in single elimination) from that?

Is there a version of the build roster sheet that has all the possible debris/asteroid shapes to circle?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 20, 2016

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Highlights from store league night:
  • I am mathematically assured the top spot this month, so I get a medal (?) and :10bux: in store credit, plus a sweet alt-art Vader and some other poo poo I forgot
  • I played XXY against a Decimator/Soontir and my stresshog blew up before I could do anything with it, which didn't matter because Poe killed Soontir and then it was full HP Red Ace against 5 hull Decimator
  • the night started with a team Epic game that featured my "partner" building two hundred and forty four points of x-wings to fly against the raider and a miniswarm, insisting I just let him have some of my half of the points (and even then going ten over)
  • this is despite having both the transport and the corvette on his person
  • realizing I want to trade this alt-art vader for an alt-art poe really badly, and unsure of what to do with my :10bux: -- probably wait for Wave 8? (we should get that in what, march?)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Tell your epic partner to eat a bag of dicks if he pulls that again.

Ballpoint Penguin
Feb 12, 2004

Awakening the survivor from his frozen bacta prison, he learned a Deathstar had destroyed Dagobah long ago. He took it well, I guess.

Kai Tave posted:

Vancouver WA I'm afraid. I live in the sticks, and the Wang scene is decidedly lacking.

Really? I live in Oregon and we go up to Dice Age games in Vancouver pretty frequently for Store Championships, Regionals, charity fundraiser tournaments. Plus Vancouver is just a few minutes away from Portland, which has a thriving X-wing community.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Tell your epic partner to eat a bag of dicks if he pulls that again.

:agreed: gently caress that guy. "200 points per player" means just that.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The only game of Epic I had was pretty cool, it was nice to be able to fly a swarm of TIE bombers, a swarm of TIE Fighters and a swarm of TIE Interceptors against the Corvette. So many TIEs! This was before the raider came out, mind you.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

realizing I want to trade this alt-art vader for an alt-art poe really badly, and unsure of what to do with my :10bux: -- probably wait for Wave 8? (we should get that in what, march?)

I got an alt Poe I'd be willing to trade ya if nobody local to you is down.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tekopo posted:

The only game of Epic I had was pretty cool, it was nice to be able to fly a swarm of TIE bombers, a swarm of TIE Fighters and a swarm of TIE Interceptors against the Corvette. So many TIEs! This was before the raider came out, mind you.

I was caremad at your post until I read the last part, then I mentally absolved you of your sins.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It was just cool to see so many TIEs running around, felt like the Death Star II battle in RotJ, especially with 6 inties on the board :3:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ballpoint Penguin posted:

Really? I live in Oregon and we go up to Dice Age games in Vancouver pretty frequently for Store Championships, Regionals, charity fundraiser tournaments. Plus Vancouver is just a few minutes away from Portland, which has a thriving X-wing community.

It's not that Vancouver is some insurmountable trek, it's just a good 30 minutes or so drive, longer if traffic on I-5 sucks (traffic on I-5 usually sucks). Portland's not that much further in mileage terms but it's still not quite "bop down to the FLGS to play a quick pick-up game." Dice Age is where the March tournament is going to be so I'm heading down there eventually, I just wish that I could prod the local scene into something more than a husk, but thanks to an unpredictable work schedule I have basically no ability to commit to a single day at a single time to try and do what Otisburg is doing and say "okay, Thursday night Wangs starting at X-o'clock at this place, show up and play."

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Otisburg posted:

Ram-bulance, Revisited

Captain Oicunn (42)
Daredevil (3)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Dauntless (2)

Captain Yorr (24)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Crack Shot (1)

This is hilarious and I'm definitely stealing it. Except putting in Wampa because he's the meanest 14 points out there, and fits don't give a gently caress bout yo green dice theme.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Otisburg posted:

Ram-bulance, Revisited
If you really want to commit to the gimmick, you should find a way to include Epsilon Leader instead of the Black Sq.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

KO Derf posted:

If you really want to commit to the gimmick, you should find a way to include Epsilon Leader instead of the Black Sq.

Good point!

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Tekopo posted:

I've only played 2 games of Epic since this game was first released. First time was right after the Tantive IV (it came out first, right?) and I had like 3 bombers and a bunch of generic Interceptors. I had no idea that Epic had some different rules and my partner was poo poo at explaining them, so half my ships ended up being ran over and stuck to the Tantive's grill.

I gave Epic another shot once the Raider came out, and it was okay, but it just wasn't that much fun, to be honest. I kinda hate the inclusion of huge ships in X-Wing; that's what Armada is for (I know huge ships started coming out before Armada, but still).

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The only reason anyone ever plays Epic is to play one or two games to justify his epic ship purchases (which he probably bought for the upgrades), and it's hilarious that epic ships are terrible at epic.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

if only there were some mission that could use the epic ship in a creative way

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
So I ran this list in a casual game with some success:

Omega Leader (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Zeta Leader (20)
Crack Shot (1)

Epsilon Leader (19) (This guy removes stress after the Tie/fo's S-Loop, and he also helps with Zeta leader's buffing attack)

Howlrunner (18)
Stealth Device (3)

Academy Pilot (12)

Total: 99

What do you think I should do with the last point? Note that I do not have another Crack Shot

(1) Stick Veteran Instincts on somebody
(2) Change Howlrunner's Stealth Device to a Shield Upgrade
(3) Upgrade the Academy Pilot to an Obsidian Squadron Pilot to buff against Predator (Predator sees a lot of use in my meta)
(4) Keep it for an initiative bid (I'm not sure if this really matters given the pilot skil of the Ties.

Alternatively, I'm tempted to drop Stealth Device from Howlrunner, and upgrade the Academy Pilot to Dark Curse, just to put another hard-to-hit Tie out there. I'd then probably call these guys rear end in a top hat Squad.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

imperialparadox posted:

So I ran this list in a casual game with some success:

Move the Stealth Device to Omega Leader.

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010
Played a team Epic (400pts per side) game over the holidays that included the Raider, CR90, Shuttle, Firespray... pretty much everything.

3 1/2 hours later, all that's left on the table is the opponent's Firespray (2 hull) and my Jake Farrell (with 2 hull) who's held onto his prockets this entire game somehow. I get Farrell on his 6, arc dodge for 2 turns, PTL to setup prockets FTW and roll ..... 5 hits.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Otisburg posted:

Ram-bulance, Revisited

Captain Oicunn (42)
Daredevil (3)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Dauntless (2)

Captain Yorr (24)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Crack Shot (1)

Sadly I don't think Oicunn's ability procs off of daredevil/boost, only the actual maneuver from your dial.

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010

TaurusTorus posted:

Sadly I don't think Oicunn's ability procs off of daredevil/boost, only the actual maneuver from your dial.
I think it procs off of Daredevil, but not boost. Boost is performing an action (and you can't boost if you would bump another ship anyways so it's a moot point), but Daredevil is performing a maneuver.

Oicunn's ability states: After executing a maneuver, each enemy ship you are touching suffers 1 damage.

Daredevil: ACTION: Execute a white (Left Turn 1) or (Right Turn 1) maneuver. Then, receive 1 stress token.

Both texts clearly state "execute" and "maneuver".

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

TaurusTorus posted:

Per the forums, it procs anytime you "perform" a maneuver. Using Daredevil, you perform the maneuver (which is unsuccessful because you are hopefully bumping someone) and then Oicunn does a second point of damage.

I ran a similar list (Oicunn + 2xTIE/fo) last week. The issue I had is that on the initial approach, Oicunn performed as expected and I bumped an X-wing, did the 2 pts of damage, and used the TIE/fo's (Epsilon Leader and Wingman that remove stress) to totally blow the X-wing away. After that, I had a heck of a time bringing Oicunn back around for a follow-up run. The Rebel aces are wily enough to stay well out of the way, and Oicunn is not agile enough to get back on them.

That's why I'm switching to a Kenkirk list.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

The only reason anyone ever plays Epic is to play one or two games to justify his epic ship purchases (which he probably bought for the upgrades), and it's hilarious that epic ships are terrible at epic.

Just LOOK at how wrong you are.

Epic is great and I wish I could get more games of it in to figure out newer, more exciting ways to piss people off with my GR-75.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Epic is supposed to be exactly what it sounds like - a cool, cinematic-scope battle that lends itself to missions (custom or not). Like I really want to do a mission where an outgunned Rebel team (OT-era only ships) has to escort the unarmed Bright Hope from one end of a three-mat field to the other, longways. Or draw up a campaign where battle results are persistent (kinda like that X-Wing Risk game I saw posted?), with like a ship-buy system and where unique pilots/crew being killed means they're dead forever to the player that lost them. Dumb poo poo that could make the game feel more Star Warsy, not "let's put in 244 points of X-Wings to fight Brunas's Raider and Palpshuttle." As soon as I saw that was the direction our Epic game was headed in, I suicided my attack force and went to play my league game.

If the minimum-2-maximum-5 "epic points" rule isn't standard, it loving should be. Seriously, who wants to play just a regular game of X-Wing only with four times the goddamn points? Hard pass.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
The Imperial Raider comes with a branching mini-campaign that I think tracks whether or not the Raider is damaged or squadrons are destroyed or something. I haven't dug into it yet, but it seems pretty cool. I only have Imp Raider for epic ships, so no idea if this is in the other epic expansions.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The carrier has one too. Including a mission that, if the rebels win, they get to drive the carrier in the next mission.

loving space pirates. It owns.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The big ship campaigns are really fun. The last Raider mission has moving asteroids, and there's a Raider v Corvette mission that has a cool gimmick to simulate a chase.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
For real, people looking for an excuse to use their huge ships should play with the campaigns that come with them.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Two builds I've been fartin around with

quote:

Guri (30)
Lone Wolf (2)
Autothruster (2)

Serrisu (20)

Cartel Spacer (14)
Heavy Scyk (2)
Mangler Cannon (3)
Stealth Device (3)

Cartel Spacer (14)
Heavy Scyk (2)
Mangler Cannon (3)
Stealth Device (3)

quote:

Guri (30)
Lone Wolf (2)
Autothruster (2)

IG88-D (36)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Autothruster (2)

Cartel Marauder (20)
Concussion Missile (4)
Glitterstim (2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You guys have it all wrong, the point of buying Epic Ships for X-Wing isn't to play them or to get the sweet sweet upgrade nougats within.

It's so you can adorn your manchild-cave book shelves and desks with them.

• Locked thread