Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Ytlaya posted:

Also, Sollux and Feferi are glubbing about feelings. I like Feferi, she is like a better Jade.

Uh oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Question - Do they ever clarify what is up with all the different classes?

To some extent.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Question - Do they ever clarify what is up with all the different classes? Like apparently Kanaya is a Sylph of Space and Jade is a Witch of Space; is there any difference between those?

it's never clarified in the sense of, like, a guidebook of rpg classes, but the story does explore the concept further in the future even if the bulk of it is left to reader interpretation

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bilirubin posted:

Except in [S] Seer: Remember you mean?

We have already seen that one person can have multiple ghosts in the bubbles. Seeing that John also has a ghost doesn't mean that the ghost is the "real" John. There are Vriska ghosts in the dream bubbles from both god tier and normal, but Vriska is alive and kicking.

e: Some classes' powers are explicitly laid out as the comic moves forward; others are still vague as of the current point in the comic.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Agreed, it is wrong to like Feferi. Even Hussie admitted she sucked.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Agreed, it is wrong to like Feferi. Even Hussie admitted she sucked.

Feferi certainly isn't interesting as a character, but she seems like a good person.

As far as trolls go, my current ranking (in terms of some combination of "funny or interesting character" and "cool person") is something like:
Terezi -> Kanaya -> Karkat -> Tavros -> Equius (because he's hilarious) -> Gamzee (also because he's hilarious) -> Vriska -> Eridan (cuz he's hilariously dumb) -> Sollux (not that interesting as a character but I like his way of talking/"accent")

As for the ones I don't find that entertaining, Nepeta isn't very funny or interesting and Feferi, as mentioned, isn't very interesting even if she is a good person. Aradia also doesn't have a very clearly defined personality.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Ytlaya posted:

Feferi certainly isn't interesting as a character, but she seems like a good person.

As far as trolls go, my current ranking (in terms of some combination of "funny or interesting character" and "cool person") is something like:
Terezi -> Kanaya -> Karkat -> Tavros -> Equius (because he's hilarious) -> Gamzee (also because he's hilarious) -> Vriska -> Eridan (cuz he's hilariously dumb) -> Sollux (not that interesting as a character but I like his way of talking/"accent")

As for the ones I don't find that entertaining, Nepeta isn't very funny or interesting and Feferi, as mentioned, isn't very interesting even if she is a good person. Aradia also doesn't have a very clearly defined personality.

You'll be re-evaluating this list pretty soon.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

CidGregor posted:

You'll be re-evaluating this list pretty soon.

It'll be Equiuses all the way down.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ytlaya posted:

I agree; Nepeta and Feferi are sweet but flavorless.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

But dear and precious, at least to someone.

This is reminding me of those read-along thing people post on Tumblr, people who haven't read Homestuck before and go in blind while recording their thoughts as they go so people who've already read it can enjoy it vicariously again. It's a little surreal to watch someone go through a fast-forward evolution on the matter of Homestuck that took the rest of us multiple years to grind through.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He's horribly mistaken about Nepeta. She is the most vital and important character of the whole work, except maybe Bird Dave.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

He's horribly mistaken about Nepeta. She is the most vital and important character of the whole work, except maybe Bird Dave.

Well Nepeta is canonically¹ our waifu.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
It's funny how many people forget that Nepeta is easily the most fightingist of the trolls.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Ytlaya posted:

The dude with a bunch of horse cocks in his room has some strange fetishes.

edit: I am here right now http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004181

That dude rules.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ytlaya posted:

So, question regarding John's conversation with Vriska after prototyping Becquerel: Is Vriska saying that if she hadn't put John to sleep that, even though Becquerel wouldn't have been prototyped, that they would have been doomed to some failed timeline? And that, as a result, her doing that was not only "not evil" but even necessary?

Vriska is right that these events had to happen, but she's wrong that she had to be the one to make them happen.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I believe her point is more "why not have me be the one who made these things happen, since they're going to happen anyway?"

...which is kind of why the alpha timeline is her making them happen but just insert the Looper time travel theory scene here and be done with it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Exactly. There was no need for her to be the one responsible for these events, but she wants to feel important so she makes herself be responsible for them. Through this, her whole point about these events not being evil because they were necessary is invalidated, she's doing bad things which have bad consequences out of pure selfishness.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nepetaquest 2016 is coming, have faith

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

By the way, if you enjoy reading newbies' reactions to Homestuck, Nora-reads-Homestuck has just encountered Murderstuck.

e: I mean threadmembers. Ytlaya, definitely not for you.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 19, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

By the way, if you enjoy reading newbies' reactions to Homestuck, Nora-reads-Homestuck has just encountered Murderstuck.

e: I mean threadmembers. Ytlaya, definitely not for you.

I didn't read any contents aside from the header, but I noticed she says "Hi, I'm Nora, a 2X-year-old who got Homestuck recommended to me because I'm a HUGE fan of tropes and mythology."

How exactly can someone be a fan of "tropes"? Doesn't "tropes" just mean "elements that commonly show up in fiction" or something?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

I didn't read any contents aside from the header, but I was reading it and she says "Hi, I'm Nora, a 2X-year-old who got Homestuck recommended to me because I'm a HUGE fan of tropes and mythology."

How exactly can someone be a fan of "tropes"? Doesn't "tropes" just mean "elements that commonly show up in fiction" or something?

It's tumblr you learn to just overlook stuff like that.

(Or you're like me and rarely ever go there)

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

there is a whole generation whose understanding of media and stories has been ruined by tvtropes

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i used to be really into tropes, but now im more of a cliches kind of guy

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ytlaya posted:

I didn't read any contents aside from the header, but I noticed she says "Hi, I'm Nora, a 2X-year-old who got Homestuck recommended to me because I'm a HUGE fan of tropes and mythology."

I think the translation is "I'm a fan of making some superficial amateur literary analysis where I look for how Work of Fiction A is similar to Work of Fiction B because for example both have a redheaded protagonist".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

She links to Tvtropes a lot, but mercifully she doesn't quote. Skip the links and you're good.

e: I know, I know, Hussie and deadlines, but he said on December 25th he'd have an update for us in "about a month". Which would be next week.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 19, 2016

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
yeah hussie says a lot of things

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Keiya posted:

It's funny how many people forget that Nepeta is easily the most fightingist of the trolls.

I'm pretty sure objective testing showed that there's at least one troll fighting-er than her.

*honk HONK*

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
by that metric, kanaya is the most fightingest troll

link is spoilers ytlaya hold your horses for now

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 19, 2016

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Question - Do they ever clarify what is up with all the different classes? Like apparently Kanaya is a Sylph of Space and Jade is a Witch of Space; is there any difference between those?

It is kind of unclear, after reading Homestuck twice and reading a lot of analysis of it, whether the game mechanics are thrown in there for convenience to move the plot along early on, and just for the fun of making fun of RPGs, or whether the game mechanics are central to the plot and theme of the work.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Robert J! Lake, a Homestuck composer, is going through financial hard times and may have to sell some of his musical equipment to get by. The post I link to has details on how you can throw him a few bucks, if that's your thing.

e: fixed link.

edit again: His own post

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 20, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So Eridan just went nuts and killed Feferi and Kanaya (and maybe Sollux? but it said KO'd for him so I'm guessing he's still alive).

They don't have dreamselves left, right? I'm more or less okay with Feferi dying, but Kanaya is one of my favorite characters. And he destroyed her orb also =(

Did they really foreshadow this at all, aside from Eridan kind of being a douchebag? I get his duel with Sollux and Feferi attacking him as a result of that, but not his plan to ally himself with Jack.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

So Eridan just went nuts and killed Feferi and Kanaya (and maybe Sollux? but it said KO'd for him so I'm guessing he's still alive).

They don't have dreamselves left, right? I'm more or less okay with Feferi dying, but Kanaya is one of my favorite characters. And he destroyed her orb also =(

Did they really foreshadow this at all, aside from Eridan kind of being a douchebag? I get his duel with Sollux and Feferi attacking him as a result of that, but not his plan to ally himself with Jack.

They kind of did yeah.

Especially when you learn what the Prince class does.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Welcome to horrorstuck.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't Eridan's hobby genocide?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Ytlaya posted:

BTW, you are probably getting close to the End of Act 5 Part 1, and when you do get to that point, you should probably pause and watch this non-canonical but pretty awesome flash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-19Up0dLzNw

(But don't watch it before then!)

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

glowing-fish posted:

BTW, you are probably getting close to the End of Act 5 Part 1, and when you do get to that point, you should probably pause and watch this non-canonical but pretty awesome flash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-19Up0dLzNw

(But don't watch it before then!)

They are WAY past that point now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Plom Bar posted:

They are WAY past that point now.

Yeah, I've seen enough to watch that. It has some cool art/animation, though some of the character art was wonky in parts.

edit: That video reminded me that Vriska already had her god tier before that fight, right? Her god tier lets her siphon away luck or something I'm guessing? That seems kind of ridiculously powerful.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 20, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

That seems kind of ridiculously powerful.

Welcome to Homestuck power levels.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Homestuck or, How To Be Ridiculously Powerful When You Aren't Hamstrung by Your Various Personal Failings and Compulsions and Sometimes, Even Then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I think the shock is part of the point. You're used to Eridan's being "kind of a douchebag", the bit about planning genocide in his introductory pages was described but not referred to again, and the end of the moirallegiance was "another Nice Guy bites the dust." Now you find out he was never kidding, that he was far worse than a douchebag, and that troll highbloods are, as alluded to previously, dangerous as gently caress.

This whole segment is "Hi, welcome to Homestuck, don't get too attached."