Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Waffles Inc. posted:

SMG isn't a hostile dickhead, for one. He's also insightful in ways Tezzor wasn't; "nuh uh" isn't interesting stuff.

I mean SMG likes to say inflammatory things and insult people who don't agree with him, and there are other posters who are better at film analysis. SMG has a tendency to jump to strange conclusions without a lot of textual evidence, like the monarchist thing. If you're not on board with those assumptions, a lot of the rest of the analysis doesn't make sense, either. I do like his cinematography posts, though.

But yeah Cnut's posts are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

rear end Catchcum posted:

How long was Luke on Dagobah?

the best guesses based on like, star maps and other poo poo is like 3 months, because that's about how long people estimate it took to get from hoth to bespin using the falcon's sub-light engines

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I would actually be 100% not shocked in the slightest if it turned out Tezzor was an SMG smurf account.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phylodox posted:

I would actually be 100% not shocked in the slightest if it turned out Tezzor was an SMG smurf account.

He should stick with it then, it's much more entertaining.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just wanna say Clone Wars season 2 is so much loving better than season 1. Did try fire every single writer or something?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Hey, neat thing I thought about : Max Von Sydow's character refers to Leia as royalty. Rey is Spanish for "King".

Waffles Inc. posted:

the best guesses based on like, star maps and other poo poo is like 3 months, because that's about how long people estimate it took to get from hoth to bespin using the falcon's sub-light engines

Time passes differently between different solar systems, so I would believe Luke was on Dagobah for a few months while the rest on the Falcon were in space for a week.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

Tezzor is really not a good poster. He acts like this is a competition and his idea is a sports team and he must root for them and crush the other teams. His rational process is almost entirely rhetorical.

Bongo Bill is a great poster.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Red posted:

Time passes differently between different solar systems, so I would believe Luke was on Dagobah for a few months while the rest on the Falcon were in space for a week.

I don't think the Star Wars universe plays by relativistic rules. It's just that Hoth an Bespin are 3 months apart when not traveling via hyperspace - from everyone's POV.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Harime Nui posted:

5. That Sand Person who lays bets with his mates he can snipe podracers. What a sonofabitch.

This is a worst list, not a best list.

MrMojok posted:

He was a hologram in one two-minute scene and mentioned in one or two other scenes. I'm sure it will get better, like with Palpatine.

His first scene was originally supposed to occur somewhere much later in the movie too (after Kylo takes his helmet off).

Vintersorg posted:

Just wanna say Clone Wars season 2 is so much loving better than season 1. Did try fire every single writer or something?

It keeps getting better, except for season 5 which is kind of a drag so far but I'm sure it appeals to someone. Really good looking models and environments for TV though.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Prolonged Priapism posted:

I don't think the Star Wars universe plays by relativistic rules. It's just that Hoth an Bespin are 3 months apart when not traveling via hyperspace - from everyone's POV.

But a big question is, did Leia and Han bang each other during the trip? They seem a lot more calm when they arrive at Bespin than they did previously, and she even kisses him on the cheek very casually.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Beeez posted:

But a big question is, did Leia and Han bang each other during the trip? They seem a lot more calm when they arrive at Bespin than they did previously, and she even kisses him on the cheek very casually.

I don't think they were cemented until the end of RotJ, and Leia explains Luke is her brother.

Until then, Han was under the impression he was still competing with Luke for her affection.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Beeez posted:

Han and Leia kissing is code for loving.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Zoran posted:

Han and Leia kissing is code for loving.

So you think in the Unrated Edition 3P0 would be catching them mid-coitus?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Also there was an EU novel that took place right after RotJ and Leia and Han were still in a will they/won't they situation. Leia likes Han a lot but is perfectly willing to get married to some other dude for political purposes. Goes without saying of course that Han must kidnap her and force her to love him by any means necessary.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Also there was an EU novel that took place right after RotJ and Leia and Han were still in a will they/won't they situation. Leia likes Han a lot but is perfectly willing to get married to some other dude for political purposes. Goes without saying of course that Han must kidnap her and force her to love him by any means necessary.

Yeah, but that's "Legends" now. Thankfully. Considering Ben was born, at most, a year after the Emperor died we can safely say the EU doesn't have the right of it.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Beeez posted:

if the trip was any longer than like a week they definitely did it

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Beeez posted:

So you think in the Unrated Edition 3P0 would be catching them mid-coitus?

I'm pretty sure if Threepio were smaller, he'd stay in the drawer of Leia's nightstand, if that helps.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Snoke I'm willing to hold judgement on until we find out more about who he is. Palpatine really isn't a character until Jedi, you get hints of his personality in ESB (even pre-DVD version) but nothing like the sheer satanic presence he actually has.

But then, "Emperor of the Galaxy" needs less explanation than "leader of a splinter group that according to the opening crawl is all about finding Luke but decides to attack the Republic".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Maxwell Lord posted:

Snoke I'm willing to hold judgement on until we find out more about who he is. Palpatine really isn't a character until Jedi, you get hints of his personality in ESB (even pre-DVD version) but nothing like the sheer satanic presence he actually has.

But then, "Emperor of the Galaxy" needs less explanation than "leader of a splinter group that according to the opening crawl is all about finding Luke but decides to attack the Republic".

I'll be fair and say that "Emperor" doesn't exactly imply "Sith Lord", but when I hear Supreme Leader Snoke I think of a much more :hitler: character.

This dude feels much more like he should be hiding in the shadows like Palpatine pre-ROTS.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Red posted:

I'm pretty sure if Threepio were smaller, he'd stay in the drawer of Leia's nightstand, if that helps.

Is this what explains the red arm?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

computer parts posted:

I'll be fair and say that "Emperor" doesn't exactly imply "Sith Lord", but when I hear Supreme Leader Snoke I think of a much more :hitler: character.

This dude feels much more like he should be hiding in the shadows like Palpatine pre-ROTS.

Nah, he shouldn't when he's Rey's Grandfather.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

It really looked to me as though the reasoning went "we will only be able to get Harrison Ford to do one movie" > "we have to kill him off in this movie, so fans' demands don't bankrupt us when Ford doubles his asking price next time" > "we have to give him a proper send-off, because of the fans" > "we can't have a proper send-off without Leia, since they were together at the end of Episode VI" > "Leia's really only been a damsel in distress and a rebel leader, so we have to set up the latter" > huge amounts of screen time devoted to Han and Leia, at the expense of anything useful or even interesting about Maz, Hux, Snoke, or Phasma.

I don't think I'm on board with saying that's bad, given the number of movies they're going to make. They're no longer in a trilogy mindset. It does weaken TFA for the very limited amount of time it will have been a standalone experience.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Leia wasn't in it that much.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
And Han's screentime is almost exclusively in relation to how he interacts with new characters. The only real exception is the Rathtar sequence. But everything else is him and Rey, him and Finn, him and Maz, or him and Leia ABOUT Ben.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

And Han's screentime is almost exclusively in relation to how he interacts with new characters. The only real exception is the Rathtar sequence. But everything else is him and Rey, him and Finn, him and Maz, or him and Leia ABOUT Ben.

Yes. That is exactly the point. We would not need to see how Han interacts with Leia AND Finn AND Maz AND Rey if Harrison Ford were going to be around for more films. Nor would we even need the Rathtar thing at all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

Yes. That is exactly the point. We would not need to see how Han interacts with Leia AND Finn AND Maz AND Rey if Harrison Ford were going to be around for more films. Nor would we even need the Rathtar thing at all.

I thought we were supposed to take a film as it is; not bank on future installments? There's nothing wrong with having a character interact with a bunch of other different characters. Rey is defeintely showing up in Episode VIII and she interacted with Leia, Han, Finn, Maz, Chewie, Ben, Unkar Plutt, and BB-8. It this somehow a problem?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

I thought we were supposed to take a film as it is; not bank on future installments? There's nothing wrong with having a character interact with a bunch of other different characters. Rey is defeintely showing up in Episode VIII and she interacted with Leia, Han, Finn, Maz, Chewie, Ben, Unkar Plutt, and BB-8. It this somehow a problem?

Stay with me, here: Maz, Snoke, Hux, and Phasma have very little to define them. This is because more time had to go to Han Solo, beloved fan favorite who dies in the movie. If Han Solo would have continued beyond TFA, the Han-centric plot would not have been necessary. The focus on Han Solo probably contributed to the weak characterizations of Maz, Snoke, Hux, and Phasma. Time spent having Han bond with people and reconnect with Leia is time not spent on characters who will continue on.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

Stay with me, here: Maz, Snoke, Hux, and Phasma have very little to define them. This is because more time had to go to Han Solo, beloved fan favorite who dies in the movie. If Han Solo would have continued beyond TFA, the Han-centric plot would not have been necessary. The focus on Han Solo probably contributed to the weak characterizations of Maz, Snoke, Hux, and Phasma. Time spent having Han bond with people and reconnect with Leia is time not spent on characters who will continue on.

Maz and Hux got plenty of characterization. Snoke seems to be following the same arc as the Emperor where first impressions are really the only development he needs. I'll agree with you on Phasma though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's is part of the genre. Not every character is going to get fleshed out. It's a seriel.

But it also points to SMGs point that JJ Abrams is not as good as Lucas at getting economical and efficient characterization. Maz is a complete mess and since she is at the center of the film it is confusing.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 20, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

It's is part of the genre. Not every character is going to get fleshed out. It's a seriel.

But it also points to SMGs point that JJ Abrams is not as good as Lucas at getting economical and efficient characterization. Maz is a complete mess and since she is at the center of the film is confusing.

Yes. That was my other point -- it is like this because it is a serial rather than a trilogy. But let's not pretend that Hux and Snoke and Phasma had characterization. We know what they look like, and we know Hux likes yelling and dislikes Republics and Kylo Ren. I am afraid any further characterization escaped me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phasma doesn't take her helmet off so they are kind of hamstrung with that one.

But proud, loyal, vain trooper officer is probably all we need to know.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

BrianWilly posted:

Palpatine.

I'm not kidding. My love for Palpatine is bulbous and worrisome.

Palps is a crazy good villain, especially when he gets to ham it up like crazy at the end of ROTS, but he's a long way from sympathetic. I would have loved to see more of Nute Gunray and friends realizing how hosed they were, and maybe trying to navigate their way out of there. And for Dooku to have actually been genuine in his speech to Obi Wan in Clones, rather than having him just be shown to be working with Sidius at the end of the movie.

Speaking of which, did the Separatist leadership know Sidius was also the Chancellor? It's clear Dooku did, but I'm guessing nobody else?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I believe in Dookus confession to Obiwan he says they TF had figured it out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

Yes. That was my other point -- it is like this because it is a serial rather than a trilogy. But let's not pretend that Hux and Snoke and Phasma had characterization. We know what they look like, and we know Hux likes yelling and dislikes Republics and Kylo Ren. I am afraid any further characterization escaped me.

Hux is proud of his organization; look at his reaction to Ren's jibes about "Your troops are skilled at committing high treason, maybe we should have used clones". He also is smug and feels the need to be superior to those around him. He waltzes into what was a one-on-one between Ren and Snoke to say "Ren hosed up and didn't get the droid". But he ultimately is incredibly subservient to the Supreme Leader. When his underlings notice his absence from the Starkiller Base control bridge, they think he's evacuated. But no...he went to make sure Snoke was okay with him evacuating first.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

jivjov posted:

Hux is proud of his organization; look at his reaction to Ren's jibes about "Your troops are skilled at committing high treason, maybe we should have used clones". He also is smug and feels the need to be superior to those around him. He waltzes into what was a one-on-one between Ren and Snoke to say "Ren hosed up and didn't get the droid". But he ultimately is incredibly subservient to the Supreme Leader. When his underlings notice his absence from the Starkiller Base control bridge, they think he's evacuated. But no...he went to make sure Snoke was okay with him evacuating first.

But their panic shows how undisciplined and immature the FO is.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Palps is a crazy good villain, especially when he gets to ham it up like crazy at the end of ROTS, but he's a long way from sympathetic.

The scene in ROTS where he tells Anakin he's the bad guy is comedy gold. When he confesses he knows the dark side, he lets his mouth hang open in half-pretend surprise at his own admission. It is excellent. He then at least has the sense to be a little nervous when Anakin fully realizes what he's saying. It's an excellent scene and is arguably the point where Anakin has just lost, even though his heel turn comes in the next time they meet.

But no, I don't think anybody else but Dooku knows Palpatine = Sidious. You can tell Dooku knows because he looks at Palpatine, shocked and a little pleading, right before he gets killed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Anakin even draws his saber but you can tell he's not going to use it. Great acting by both in that scene.

And it all done in front of a giant Guernica.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Almost all of that can be filed under "doesn't like Ren" so all that's left is "military guy who follows chain of command," which up there with "soldier who shoots gun" and "farmer who farms" in terms of characterization. But it's something I didn't mention -- we do also know that about him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think the issue with Phasma is that they weren't expecting to shoot that scene with her taking down the shields. So in this movie she wouldn't have been around other than to chastise Finn for wasting time in the shuttle. But since she has that extra scene it's like just enough screen time where people are going to complain that she's underused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She does more than chastise Finn. She told him point blank he is going to get "re educated" which is probably a mind wipe.

• Locked thread