Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What's a good non-stick wok and skillet/pan? Or trustable brand?

I'm leaning toward getting a cast iron skillet. This is for home use, so I don't need either to be huge, but I'd like them to be high-quality and last awhile. We're currently about done wearing out a $40 T-Fal 12" non-stick from Target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
People will generally recommend Lodge for cast iron. It's nice, pre-seasoned, but probably a little expensive (you could find and reseason something from a garage sale and have it work just as well). Amazon isn't the best place to get them, but you can find them all over the place (my Fred Meyers have them, when otherwise their appliances/pans/knives are all poo poo and overpriced).
For a wok, I haven't been able to find a "recommended" brand, for some reason. It's not like All-Clad for pans. I got this thing and it's worked fine. It's gotten a stain on it (ha), but it cooks well enough. Don't get nonstick. Do get carbon steel if you can find one that looks nice. There's a "Joyce Chen" one on Amazon that's got a weird design and I hate the handle/grip, but you might be able to find a nice carbon steel wok at some brick and mortar store.

e: Rereading your question, you want a non-stick wok? I'd strongly suggest against getting one. A non-stick skillet can make sense, but for a wok you really don't want to use non-stick. Carbon steel is fairly easy to clean and you actually want food to be able to cling to the sides while you're cooking.

zachol has a new favorite as of 13:33 on Dec 30, 2015

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

What's a good non-stick wok and skillet/pan? Or trustable brand?

I'm leaning toward getting a cast iron skillet. This is for home use, so I don't need either to be huge, but I'd like them to be high-quality and last awhile. We're currently about done wearing out a $40 T-Fal 12" non-stick from Target.

For the pan, buy an all clad. Look at TJ Max, Marshals, Coles, Homegood, etc. They will often have insane deals on All Clad stuff. Don't bother with the more expensive stainless line, the normal stuff is fine and any discoloration can be cleaned. Cast iron, just get a Lodge, unless you want to hunt around for a old Wanger or Griswald. Most antique stores have a few.

For a wok, just go to an Asian grocery and buy a carbon steel one. It's very likely that your range will not get hot enough real wok cooking so don't sweat it too much.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

zachol posted:

People will generally recommend Lodge for cast iron. It's nice, pre-seasoned, but probably a little expensive (you could find and reseason something from a garage sale and have it work just as well). Amazon isn't the best place to get them, but you can find them all over the place (my Fred Meyers have them, when otherwise their appliances/pans/knives are all poo poo and overpriced).

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Cast-Ir...lodge+cast+iron

$25 shipped from Amazon for a 12" Lodge skillet. Cheaper than almost any other cookware.

If you want something wok-like with a flat bottom you might like a DeBuyer country skillet: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00462QP2K/ref=twister_B004V2E2QQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

These are actually expensive but worth it.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking for a good blanket. I want one that's soft and comfortable, maybe faux fur or something. It doesn't have to do a super good job of keeping me warm, since even at this time of year I never really get that cold at night. Any suggestions?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Wanamingo posted:

I'm looking for a good blanket. I want one that's soft and comfortable, maybe faux fur or something. It doesn't have to do a super good job of keeping me warm, since even at this time of year I never really get that cold at night. Any suggestions?

If you like wool (and some people don't, as the find it scratchy), I highly recommend Pendleton. Their eco-wool line is a little more affordable too. Very thin and breathable, yet also warm.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If you want warm get a Hudson Bay wool blanket. There's a reason they have been in business since the 1700s.

Oh you said you don't give a poo poo if it's warm. Well never mind.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I need a better blender. I started adding oats to my workout smoothie and my 20$ Osterizer isn't doing it without being extremely loud for 4 minutes on the highest setting. I know it won't be quiet, but I do live in an apartment and sometimes blend things late at night, so it can't be as loud as a jet engine.

I'd like to not spend much more than 100. Any suggestions?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Rolo posted:

I need a better blender. I started adding oats to my workout smoothie and my 20$ Osterizer isn't doing it without being extremely loud for 4 minutes on the highest setting. I know it won't be quiet, but I do live in an apartment and sometimes blend things late at night, so it can't be as loud as a jet engine.

I'd like to not spend much more than 100. Any suggestions?

Might be able to get a better answer over in the GWS sub.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Etrips posted:

Might be able to get a better answer over in the GWS sub.

This thread, specifically. If I remember right, the Ninja is the budget super-blender recommendation.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ninja blender is the poorman vitamix. Mine is dope as gently caress and has little protein shaker cups so you don't always have to wash a huge thing. But I assume all do these days

If you're really cheap watch meh.com they pop up frequently

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
GWS! Never thought of checking there, duh!

Thanks guys.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yo, goons! Where can I get a good LED 55" dumb TV that won't spaz out during video games or sporting events for around 500 bucks?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Lots of good deals on slickdeals.net

Check the front page daily and search the forums for 55" and then check that rtings.com site for latency and Amazon reviews. Also search Amazon reviews for keywords like "gaming" or "ps4" if there's a ton.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Any recommendations for gloves that work with touch phones? Quality trumps price.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

meatbag posted:

Any recommendations for gloves that work with touch phones? Quality trumps price.

I just got myself a pair of these and have been liking them so far. The touch screen part works really well on my note 4, and doesn't have a big obvious finger pad like some of the other touchscreen gloves I've used before. They're fairly thin, so not that good for really cold days, but they're fine for weather down to the low 20s I've found - and when it does get colder they're thin enough to be worn as glove liners without issue under heavier gloves.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Recommendation for a waterproof mattress cover / encasement?

I'm getting a new mattress and am looking to increase its longevity as much as possible. Only hazards are mainly sex fluids, coconut oil, and if it starts to collect dust / etc (no bedbug issues) over time. I'm not certain if I want an encasement or just a cover.

It's a latex mattress, if it makes a difference.

meatbag posted:

http://www.icebreaker.com/en/mens-gloves/sierra-gloves/101265.html

http://www.icebreaker.com/en/mens-gloves

All wool, won't make you sweaty, good for cold around freezing, okay for wind, not great. Bonus advantage of being able to be used as a liner for a heavier glove.

PRADA SLUT has a new favorite as of 09:21 on Jan 5, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Recommendation for a waterproof mattress cover / encasement?

Got one of these for my dog. Should be all you need

Cool Shield No Allergy Waterproof Mattress Protector - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D04MTA2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_GO4IwbP0THZF4

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Anyone know a decent brand of dog booties?

My dog is small, short-haired, and originally from the south. I think this is his first real New England winter and the past couple days he is NOT happy when he has to go out. He has a little coast, but I'm sure his feet are getting FREEZING. Last night he peed, and he looked like he was going to poo, but then walked back over to us, stood perfectly still, and started whining like I never heard him do before. :( He didn't even want to walk back the few steps to go back inside, my GF had to pick him up and carry him in.

And even on warmer days, I want to be able to walk him without worrying too much about the salt and sand irritating his feet.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Get musher's wax. It's what sled dogs get on their paws, so it's meant for snow and salt protection.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

DrBouvenstein posted:

Anyone know a decent brand of dog booties?

My dog is small, short-haired, and originally from the south. I think this is his first real New England winter and the past couple days he is NOT happy when he has to go out. He has a little coast, but I'm sure his feet are getting FREEZING. Last night he peed, and he looked like he was going to poo, but then walked back over to us, stood perfectly still, and started whining like I never heard him do before. :( He didn't even want to walk back the few steps to go back inside, my GF had to pick him up and carry him in.

And even on warmer days, I want to be able to walk him without worrying too much about the salt and sand irritating his feet.

LivesInGrey posted:

Get musher's wax. It's what sled dogs get on their paws, so it's meant for snow and salt protection.

This is the best/easiest option. Get this one: http://www.amazon.com/Mushers-Secret-Pet-Paw-Protection/dp/B0002XIZXY

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
I'm looking for a surveillance DVR that has software that isn't completely crap. I'd like to just replace the DVR box and use the existing cameras (BNC connectors). Does anyone have one that actually works the way it's supposed to? The playback/download interface in the software on mine is glitchy and hardly ever works right.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Any recommendations for pillows? I've only ever used cheap IKEA pillows and I want something better.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Elderbean posted:

Any recommendations for pillows? I've only ever used cheap IKEA pillows and I want something better.

ISOCool latex pillows are the tits.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Dunlop shredded latex pillows

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I just moved into a new house and it is devoid of a pantry and after unpacking the kitchen boxes I don't have a leftover cabinet for food so I need to buy a free standing pantry, but where I live only has one furniture store with questionable quality pieces. We rent so getting one permanently installed is out of the question.

I am looking for a freestanding pantry/food storage furniture that is:
  • not a piece of poo poo (i.e. can withstand being moved to a new house in the future possibly multiple times)
  • preferably preassembled and if not can be assembled by one person
  • not IKEA (I love IKEA furniture but the closest one is a 3 hour drive away from me)
  • not horrifically expensive (under ~$600)

I didn't see anyone else address this. I am not sure of your kitchen decor, but I had a baker's rack like this in our last place. I found that one for $250, but you could find fancier ones for a little more that come with wicker accents and stuff. I personally liked the more industrial look. It also gives you a bit more counter space and doubles as a cute party buffet for parties.

Archives
Nov 23, 2008
Anyone know of a cheap (sub-100$) android device that can accept microSD cards to play music with? It doesn't need cellphone capability.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Archives posted:

Anyone know of a cheap (sub-100$) android device that can accept microSD cards to play music with? It doesn't need cellphone capability.

Kindle Fire 7"? $50 tablet and not real bad actually

Archives
Nov 23, 2008

dreesemonkey posted:

Kindle Fire 7"? $50 tablet and not real bad actually

Looks drat good, thanks!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm looking for a good electric razor. I am lazy and hate shaving with a real blade, and I have quite thick hair. I get razor burn on my neck easily. Sub $100 is good, washable with water is good. I don't care about charge time as I can use it while plugged in. Reading Amazon reviews makes it seem like the Norelco 2100 is a good bet and that spending more doesn't really get you a better razor a lot of the time.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crossposting from SH/SC.

My printer doesn't seem to get along with Windows 10 – it's several years old and I've long since lost the driver software – and now it has stopped printing anything with black ink as of yesterday. So it looks like I need a new printer.

I'm looking for an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier with bluetooth for my room. Perhaps an HP Officejet. Anyone have any recommendations?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Go-to goon suggestions for printers are usually a Brother monochrome laser printer for black & white, and if you need color some kind of cheap inkjet.

I've had a HL-2240D for about five years now, its about as basic as laser printers get (only thing it does that isn't single sheet printing is duplexing), picked it up for $80 on sale at Microcenter and I haven't even run out of the trial size toner cartridge it shipped with.

Brother's color laser printers are fine too, but unless you're frequently running a lot of color prints color laser printers aren't terribly cost effective.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Jan 20, 2016

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
Looking for a water proof bluetooth speaker. Not looking to spend a whole lot would just be using it for the shower and probably take it hiking, so ipx 6-7 would probably fit the bill.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I'm 99.9% sure this is asking for waterproof water, but is there anything out there for people who sleep in noisy places but have tinnitus?

I currently live near a nocturnal construction yard. I can wear earplugs and not hear the noise, but instead I'm subjected to the overbearing hum of bad choices at concerts.

And a white noise generator just annoys the wife.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Have you wife use the earplugs so she doesn't have to hear the white noise machine.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

xlevus posted:

I'm 99.9% sure this is asking for waterproof water, but is there anything out there for people who sleep in noisy places but have tinnitus?

I currently live near a nocturnal construction yard. I can wear earplugs and not hear the noise, but instead I'm subjected to the overbearing hum of bad choices at concerts.

And a white noise generator just annoys the wife.

In-ear headphones plus white-noise app?

Mid_Ben
Apr 10, 2008
Hey Goons,

I'm looking for an air purifier for my apartment, something that will help pull a lot of the dust out of the air. My last one died and I'd like to shoot for something in the 100-150 USD range.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I like reading lying face down, but I usually end up straining my neck or messing up my shoulder when I do it. So I've been looking for a cushion or chair or something that would help prevent this.

So far I've found this: http://www.ezshopex.com/office-electronics/office/utsubusene-cushion-2.html

But I'd like to find an option that doesn't involve importing something and paying at least $50 in shipping, anyone have suggestions?

Caffeinated Bacon
May 23, 2007
That's enough motive, I suppose, to make a man dress like Dracula and assault criminals

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Looking for a water proof bluetooth speaker. Not looking to spend a whole lot would just be using it for the shower and probably take it hiking, so ipx 6-7 would probably fit the bill.

http://www.amazon.com/Omaker-M4-Portable-Bluetooth-Playtime/dp/B00RBIC1IS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453353689&sr=8-2&keywords=Omaker+M4

I've had this little guy for about 6 months now and love it. I use it in the shower everyday, the battery lasts forever. I've taken it hiking too. There's a spot where you can attach a para-cord loop or carabiner to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

Caffeinated Bacon posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Omaker-M4-Portable-Bluetooth-Playtime/dp/B00RBIC1IS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453353689&sr=8-2&keywords=Omaker+M4

I've had this little guy for about 6 months now and love it. I use it in the shower everyday, the battery lasts forever. I've taken it hiking too. There's a spot where you can attach a para-cord loop or carabiner to it.

Bitchin thanks.