Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Arvid posted:

Since the deadzone KS will be shipping later than planned I need to change my shipping address, anyone know who to contact at Mantic for this ?

Good luck with that, my housemate's KoW 2 still got sent to the wrong address, bounced and went MIA despite both a forwarder on the mailing address and informing Mantic of the change of address well in advance. It did eventually turn up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just read that change of address concern and started laughing. Good luck, man. Good luck.

In other news, they just showed the sculpts for the Plague Bursters in a kind of barebones Warpath update. They had some renders of the Corporate skimmer as well. But still not much else about what's going on.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not exactly chomping at the bit for Walking Dead because it looks like Mantic's gone from KS to KS and it looks like they're getting a little ahead of themselves, regardless of how long TWD has been in the works behind the scenes.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I'm interested in seeing how well/poorly it does. I'm pretty soured on Mantic as a company, but I like their products (well, I really like Kings of War and some of their models) so I want them to succeed. But I just don't see this kickstarter doing as well as their previous ones.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

drgnvale posted:

I'm interested in seeing how well/poorly it does. I'm pretty soured on Mantic as a company, but I like their products (well, I really like Kings of War and some of their models) so I want them to succeed. But I just don't see this kickstarter doing as well as their previous ones.

I bet it will do very well. The Walking Dead is a pretty big deal.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Is it? I'm old so I don't know what's popular with the cool kids these days. I played 40k after all.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's the biggest TV show behind Game of Thrones. Probably bigger, actually, as it's on basic cable.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

quote:

In Live + 3 results, the Season 6 premiere of The Walking Dead on October 11 drew 19.5 million viewers with a staggering 12.84 million among adults 18-49 and a 10.1 rating. On a night where the AMC show faced a down but still strong Sunday Night Football, that’s up 33% and 36% in the categories from what the series based on Robert Kirkman’s comic bit off in Live + Same Day numbers. Or put another way, TWD is up 4.9 million in total viewers from its Live + SD results and saw an increase of 3.4 million in the demo

The early numbers for TWD S6’s premiere were down from both the Season 5 and Season 4 debuts of TWD. On the flipside, not only are the DVR rises greater than what the Season 5 debut saw in Live + 3 last year but today’s numbers once again solidify TWD as the top show on both cable and broadcast among the 18-49s – for an impressive fourth season in a row. Though the 20.8 million viewers that Season 2 debut of Empire got in Live + 3 beat TWD S6 opener, the AMC show was ahead in the demo over the 11.002 million and 8.7 rating the formidable Fox show got.
source

vs.

quote:

June 16, 2015 | 08:43AM PT
Rick Kissell
Senior Editor @ratesrick

HBO’s “Game of Thrones” continues to grow in popularity, with Sunday’s fifth-season finale drawing the show’s largest audience ever — despite going up against the NBA Finals in most of the country.

According to Nielsen “live plus same-day” estimates, “Thrones” averaged 8.11 million viewers, up 14% from both the previous week (7.14 million) and last year’s finale (7.09 million). The previous series high for the show came with its fifth-season premiere in April, which drew about 8 million.

Sunday’s ratings growth is a continuation of a trend that has seen a show once considered “niche” become cable’s second most popular program, behind only AMC’s “The Walking Dead.”
source

Not exactly comparable (a finale vs. a season opener), and the shows you're up against matter too (NFL Sunday vs. NBA finals) and the time of year (October vs. June); but, The Walking Dead is more popular than Game of Thrones, and is the most popular cable TV show.

We can assume The Walking Dead as a product license is a huge deal. On the other hand, tabletop miniatures gaming is a tiny, tiny, niche market. Everything is going to depend on how well Mantic manage to advertise their product to people outside the hobby. Games Workshop raked in a huge surge in money from the Lord of the Rings license, but... they had much more ability to publicize the product than Mantic does, Lord of the Rings was a bigger franchise in terms of sheer numbers of viewers (It made almost $3B in worldwide box office receipts, jesus gently caress), and GW certainly had more money to spend creating and extending the game and its miniatures line.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Leperflesh posted:

source

vs.

source

Not exactly comparable (a finale vs. a season opener), and the shows you're up against matter too (NFL Sunday vs. NBA finals) and the time of year (October vs. June); but, The Walking Dead is more popular than Game of Thrones, and is the most popular cable TV show.

We can assume The Walking Dead as a product license is a huge deal. On the other hand, tabletop miniatures gaming is a tiny, tiny, niche market. Everything is going to depend on how well Mantic manage to advertise their product to people outside the hobby. Games Workshop raked in a huge surge in money from the Lord of the Rings license, but... they had much more ability to publicize the product than Mantic does, Lord of the Rings was a bigger franchise in terms of sheer numbers of viewers (It made almost $3B in worldwide box office receipts, jesus gently caress), and GW certainly had more money to spend creating and extending the game and its miniatures line.

I think part of the miniatures gaming niche thing will be offset with it being singlepiece boardgame style minis, so there's no burden of assembly/painting for the boardgame market, which seems like a sensible move with how well boardgames have been doing lately.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah if they're doing pre-assembled board gaming minis at a good price with a license that good and a solid game behind it this will probably be Mantic's big break out game, even more so than KoW (which is more someone giving them the ball). I actively dislike TWD but I'm kinda hoping this KS gives them the funds to get all their ducks in a row before WP starts shipping and we can all be happy.

In other KS news, that shieldmaidens KS apparently got canceled. Disappointing, seemed like a great way to kick off a KoW army, but I guess I'll be buried in WP minis in the winter anyway. Imma buy destors instead, owell.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The shieldmaiden thing confused me. They were surprised they didn't keep up the first day momentum a week in? Have they not seen Kickstarters before?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The shieldmaiden thing confused me. They were surprised they didn't keep up the first day momentum a week in? Have they not seen Kickstarters before?

Thought they were CMoN or Reaper it seems

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I mean, their other KS did $20k and they seemed fine with that. This one was already at 40k and they were probably going to hit 90-100k.

I guess they were hoping for Raging Heroes or Mantic numbers, not just cresting over six digits, but they didn't really have the materials or hype they needed to do that.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Even Reaper has lulls, though:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They were expecting to hit 20k in the first 10 minutes and $100k by the end of the first day, I think, leading to a half mill. $100k all up wasn't enough

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Why even set a $30k goal? If they needed substantially more than that, they should have asked for more.

They would have made good Abyssal Fleshlings, with their immodest dress and mean faces.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

moths posted:

Why even set a $30k goal? If they needed substantially more than that, they should have asked for more.

Because when projects set the high goal they actually need, they are mercilessly trashed everywhere for asking for too much money, and then not backed. It's vicious and cruel, but so are internet nerds.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

What would make good fleshlings? I think I have some empire zealots somewhere

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Phoon posted:

What would make good fleshlings? I think I have some empire zealots somewhere

Flagellants would be perfect. Mix some marauder/chaos bits in there and they'd look suitably demonic.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

moths posted:

They would have made good Abyssal Fleshlings, with their immodest dress and mean faces.

Momentum. People don't want to back losers, they want to back winners. It might take them three weeks to earn $40k if that was the initial goal, while they could earn the same in a week using a lowball goal. If a goal has been slowly inching up over the course of a week, people are more hesitant to throw in.

You see the same thing in the Mantic kickstarters. Instead of the Steel Warriors being a 75k stretch goal, they padded it out. They ask for 20k for the Steel Warriors, then 15k for Heavy Weapons, 10k for some unrelated metal character add ons that they were going to make anyway, 10k for Flamers, 10k for another unrelated model.

By breaking 5 goals instead one 1, they keep up the idea that their Kickstarter has the momentum of a runaway freight train, prompting people to ask "Why is it so popular?". The more people talk about it, the increased news causes more people to hear about it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That makes sense. I kind of prefer smaller projects because there's fewer moving parts to get jammed.

As for Fleshlings, I'm thinking of picking up some Old Glory revolting peasants. They'd also stand in for a militia mob, and since Kingdoms of Men are neutral I can just wedge a cheap horde into anything that needs it.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I was looking at frostgrave cultists

E: i think if I put some lower abyssals/succubi in with the flagellants I can make it look like they are being driven forward/tortured rather than torturing themselves

Phoon fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 20, 2016

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

NTRabbit posted:

Thought they were CMoN or Reaper it seems

A comment I saw on BoW about offering some variety resonated with me, I'd looked at the KS but wasn't immediately hooked because the pledge levels appeared to be "X number of this particular type of model" and then "TWICE the number of X models from the other pledge!" and then "THREE TIMES the number of x models from the other pledge! A WHOLE ARMY! (of near identical models)"

I might have been interested in a single box of models for shits and giggles, but only more variety would have gotten me to pony up more cash.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Well ok, I tracked down the problem with the campaign. He's using an abbreviated version of the one on Mantic's website, but in copying/pasting for the handout he left off the part where penalties apply "for your next game." Oops.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is Warpath any good? My FLGS has a bunch for next to nothing so I might pick it up if it's any fun.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Electric Hobo posted:

Is Warpath any good? My FLGS has a bunch for next to nothing so I might pick it up if it's any fun.

The beta rules for, what I guess they're going to call the 1st edition, are up for testing at the moment. Not sure if anyone here has tried them yet, but they're a fair bit different from the previous two releases, so tough to say. There's going to be two rule sets, one for apocalypse style mass battle - which is the current beta - and one for bolt action sized platoon to company battles, which is still being written.

Some of what your FLGS is selling will have been replaced by stuff under design/production from the Kickstarter. Depends how cheap it is and how much you like them, really, but all of it will be usable.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

The beta rules for, what I guess they're going to call the 1st edition, are up for testing at the moment. Not sure if anyone here has tried them yet, but they're a fair bit different from the previous two releases, so tough to say. There's going to be two rule sets, one for apocalypse style mass battle - which is the current beta - and one for bolt action sized platoon to company battles, which is still being written.

Some of what your FLGS is selling will have been replaced by stuff under design/production from the Kickstarter. Depends how cheap it is and how much you like them, really, but all of it will be usable.

Guess I'll get some of it just for the hell of it. It's ~$15 for a 2 player starter set so I can't really go wrong.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

If it's Fate of the Forgestar, you get a bunch of ok stuff - the Jotunn weapons platform and Raptor trike are current, the Orks are current but have a slightly older aesthetic, the Forge Father infantry is being replaced, but you can use them as named, or they have an entry in the rules to be used as a new chaff unit called Militia. At $15 that's a steal.

Either way, you also get a bunch of Mantic loyalty points to use in the store, which is where you can grab some KS, retail or loyalty exclusives for just the cost of shipping.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's Fate of the Forgestar. They also have a bunch of army boxes and some smaller boxes, which might be a better deal than buying multiple starter sets.
I didn't know about the loyalty points, that's pretty cool. I already have a small pile from the Kings of War sets I bought at the same price so I'll what they have on offer.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005

omnibobb posted:

Hahahaha. Oh hahaha. Man. Oh my.

Best chance is contact Alex (see my previous posts). He was by far the best customer service guy I got there. Email him and pray.

I just sent him an email, we'll see how it goes.....

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

NTRabbit posted:

Because when projects set the high goal they actually need, they are mercilessly trashed everywhere for asking for too much money, and then not backed. It's vicious and cruel, but so are internet nerds.

It's kind of disturbing how internet nerds have declared themselves the financial fraud police in the past few years tbh.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

spectralent posted:

It's kind of disturbing how internet nerds have declared themselves the financial fraud police in the past few years tbh.

i mean, Star Citizen exists

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

T.G. Xarbala posted:

i mean, Star Citizen exists

Yeah but you also get stuff like "They want... MONEY??? for a game about some sort of... FEELINGS? CLEAR MONEY LAUNDERING FOR DRUG CARTELS".

I mentioned it in the other thread but some of the poo poo getting thrown at the skullgirls kickstarter for actually asking for the money they needed and costing the thing was depressing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

spectralent posted:

Yeah but you also get stuff like "They want... MONEY??? for a game about some sort of... FEELINGS? CLEAR MONEY LAUNDERING FOR DRUG CARTELS".

I mentioned it in the other thread but some of the poo poo getting thrown at the skullgirls kickstarter for actually asking for the money they needed and costing the thing was depressing.

Fair enough.

It would've been a fuckin travesty if Indivisible hadn't met its goal. And the only thing the devs did wrong was be honest and upfront about their costs and publisher partnerships. Unlike, say, Bloodstained or Shenmue 3.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Fair enough.

It would've been a fuckin travesty if Indivisible hadn't met its goal. And the only thing the devs did wrong was be honest and upfront about their costs and publisher partnerships. Unlike, say, Bloodstained or Shenmue 3.

Yeah, also a good example. Nerds have really warped ideas about what stuff is due or "worth".

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

spectralent posted:

Yeah, also a good example. Nerds have really warped ideas about what stuff is due or "worth".

To be fair, many of us grew up having entertainment companies pissing on our legs and telling us it was raining.

In between the penny-pinching nerds squalling for everything to be F2P and for indies to be creating content for poverty-level incomes on the one hand, and many major publishers shoveling out glossy $60+ "AAA" titles on the other, there lies an excluded middle of reasonableness.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

They've also confirmed that Michonne won't be in the starter box, which was expected.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JerryLee posted:

To be fair, many of us grew up having entertainment companies pissing on our legs and telling us it was raining.

In between the penny-pinching nerds squalling for everything to be F2P and for indies to be creating content for poverty-level incomes on the one hand, and many major publishers shoveling out glossy $60+ "AAA" titles on the other, there lies an excluded middle of reasonableness.

Yeah, sure, but due to various dumb internet stuff, primarily vitriol gets targetted at people who are most vulnerable to it and least to blame for it, i,.e. small and independant producers.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

spectralent posted:

Yeah, sure, but due to various dumb internet stuff, primarily vitriol gets targetted at people who are most vulnerable to it and least to blame for it, i,.e. small and independant producers.

Oh, for sure. It's always easier for a certain sort of person to get mad at the little guy. I would say that big corporations probably still have a lot of vitriol going towards them, but possibly less, and not so much for pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Leperflesh posted:

source

vs.

source

I honestly think that a lot of it has to do with the Walking Dead people not valuing their license very much. It's gone some kind of strange places lately. The toy license has gone to Zuru, who in the shooty toy world are sort of like the (extremely) poor mans Nerf (although their recent products have been well reviewed and recieved), the building block stuff is being made by Megabloks and the video game license wen't to Telltale who have a lot of critical acclaim but aren't exactly the biggest name players on the market. You have a repeating trend of them licensing out to definite B players. Nerf on the other hand just payed out the rear end to get the license for the whole Divergent series which I guess is on target for their demographic (8-14 year old girls) but seems like not really a "get" in the same way something like Walking Dead would be.

LotR was also heavily hosed up by GW. They didn't push or market it in any good way. I think their biggest push was getting the starter box into Suncoast/Borders/those kind of places. They made a lot of money from it but mostly from model painters who didn't give a poo poo about the game and who just wanted to paint a model of Sauron. They didn't know how to do good external marketing because they had burned so many bridges in the trad games industry by the early 00's and this in turn meant that since so much of their marketing was through their own channels their actual fans got pissed at them for shoving so much LotR stuff into White Dwarf. I remember just how many misconceptions about LotR that existed back then, normal tradgamers wouldn't touch it because "oh it's just Warhammer with different minis" and many people didn't even realize it was a miniatures game (this was not helped by GW selling a lot of sets that were not minis game focused). This was at a time where you couldn't open an issue of InQuest/Top Deck/GTM/etc without seeing at minimum two ads for the LotR TCG and when the LotR videogames were so popular a company managed to make a game based on the BOOK and get it onto shelves.

They really should have gone with something like the Sabertooth Games prepainted LotR game to begin with. Much more accessible and new-person friendly. I love LotR the wargame but it was heavily hampered from the get-go by really poor decisions on GWs part all around.