Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Laidlaw has a hilariously deep voice too, to the point where when I first heard it I thought he was taking the piss.

E: Bowe's out for the season but the back row does look strong. A fit O'Mahony makes all the difference in terms of balance but O'Brien getting back to form could be the biggest positive for Ireland going into this campaign.

MyChemicalImbalance fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Looks like a solid Irish side, McCloskey has been great this year and the back row looks pretty scary. As long as the wingers don't poo poo the bed or all die the week before the 6N, should be pretty good. Is Bowe injured at the moment or just not on form?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Tyma posted:

That Guy Who Didn't Understand The Rules has been banned for 14 weeks for his contribution to the Ospreys vs Clermont game.

"He didn't punch me THAT hard"

"I don't know, sorry!"

The genuine highlight of that match was the crowd treating him like a pantomime villain.

If you're going to push the ref, do it properly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaVakJDeIjc

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

Vaders Jester posted:

Looks like a solid Irish side, McCloskey has been great this year and the back row looks pretty scary. As long as the wingers don't poo poo the bed or all die the week before the 6N, should be pretty good. Is Bowe injured at the moment or just not on form?

Bowe got injured in the Argentina match and may not be back until summer.

McCloskey simply has to start, he's been the best centre in Ireland all year. I'll despair if Henshaw and Payne start again having both just come back from injuries.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Cheers, wasn't sure if I'd seen Bowe playing recently or just imagined it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is he on track for recovering from that knee? It was an ACL rebuild job wasn't it?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Swan Curry posted:

Bowe got injured in the Argentina match and may not be back until summer.

McCloskey simply has to start, he's been the best centre in Ireland all year. I'll despair if Henshaw and Payne start again having both just come back from injuries.

Jesus, those last two games of their World Cup campaign last year really hosed the Irish up didn't they? I guess there'll always be that "could have been" about the quarterfinal against the Argies, and how far Ireland could have gone in the 2015 tournament if they hadn't been torn apart by injury in the fixture right before.

Anyway, Scottish team looks good and if they play like they did in the quarterfinal, they could do rather well this year. All the individual components of the team are pretty good.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

goatface posted:

Is he on track for recovering from that knee? It was an ACL rebuild job wasn't it?

News is good on Bowe, at 31 though his rehab is gonna be crucial.

Would love to see McCloskey start just to see if he can constantly break the gain line at the next level like he has done for the last year and a half at Ulster.

Stuart Olding makes his comeback for the Ulster A tomorrow night after tearing his ACL 40 seconds into his comeback after tearing his ACL 2 years ago. Super talented guy and ex team mate of mine who I wish all the health and success to in future after some seriously lovely injuries, unfortunately he's coming back into an Ulster squad that already has 3 Irish centres.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
I thought the whole point of that Nucifora guy's job was to stop this ridiculous situation where Munster have no centres while there are too many centres to count a few hours up the road. The only interprovincial move that's been confirmed so far is Rodney Ah You moving from Connacht to Ulster, which is fairly underwhelming when you think about how many talented players are struggling to get gametime in Leinster and Ulster.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Looking at the job description from the article about his appointment on the Irish Rugby website, I'm not seeing "player movement" as part of his portfolio. It might fall under "provincial team performance," but things like too many players in one position at one province but a dearth of them elsewhere seems more like a long-term issue.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

I could see Cave and maybe even Payne leaving Ulster sometime soon but that could as easily be Marshall and McCloskey. Ulster fans are still pissy about Joe deciding Payne is a centre rather than a fullback since shoe horning him in at 13 means the rest of the back line needs rejigged for the sake of continuity for the Ireland team.

Nucifora's only impact so far seems to be Madigan going to France. Rugby management structures baffle me at the best of times though so maybe he's done something good too :iiam:

e: Toulon ask to join the English Premiership? Would be a hilarious move, could revive French rugby while putting a nail in the coffin of the English game. Can't see it happening but it does show just how mental Boudjellal is.

MyChemicalImbalance fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 22, 2016

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Watching Steffon Armitage butcher Bath is filling me with incoherent rage on so many levels.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
The Ospreys' ability to gently caress it up in new and unusual ways is quite impressive.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pro 12 failure train

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Let's all take a moment to be thankful we're not Morgan Parra tonight.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

goatface posted:

Pro 12 failure train

Northern Hemisphere rugby knows all about failure doesn't it? :smug:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

At least Glasgow pumped Racing and handed them their first Championship pool loss in 2 years. Shame they bottled it against Saints last week so it meant nothing.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

All English and French in the knock out stage, go Exeter I guess??

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Dylan Hartley is now England captain.

What fresh hell is this????

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A potentially hilarious one.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YjIOpzYYtQ

ladies and gentlemen, I give you the England first choice 10.

e: Also, England are already the heels of the Rugby world so might as well go all-in on it.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 25, 2016

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Apollodorus posted:

Dylan Hartley is now England captain.

What fresh hell is this????

Eddie Jones knows no one likes England so there is no point trying to make friends. The world cup squad of 2003 was full of arsholes and led by Johnson who was no angel

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Eddie Jones knows no one likes England so there is no point trying to make friends. The world cup squad of 2003 was full of arsholes and led by Johnson who was no angel

Makes sense, he's doubling down on the England job.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Vaders Jester posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YjIOpzYYtQ

ladies and gentlemen, I give you the England first choice 10.

Well, he's no Cam Newton.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I can get behind this. Lancaster's England were the nicest blokes ever and everyone else still thought they were arrogant cunts. Given that, England may as well embrace their stereotype and try to be arrogant cunts.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

Well, he's no Cam Newton.

:allears:

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
My family and I are taking a vacation to Ireland, and we're looking at going to the Munster - Leinster game at Aviva Stadium on April 2nd. None have been to Aviva, a rugby game, (or Ireland really). What should we know, especially about bars near the stadium, what sections and rows we should look to get, and who to blindly root for.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, you've picked a good game to start with. Support whoever plays good.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Imagine Cam running lines off a decent 10. Imagine the carnage and beauty.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Who?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
An american football man.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

TBQH he'd basically be like an American Sonny Bill Williams - massive athleticism and strength combined with exceptional game sense and handling.

We should cut out the NFL talk though before I start drinking again in my depression over how USA's athletic talent is wasted a sport no one else in the world gives a poo poo about.

goatface posted:

An american football man.

Yeah, this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMviY7cyQpo

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I hadn't decided who I was supporting at Superbowl after Wales beat Ireland, but that's decided it for me. Go Panthers!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He likes giving away the ball to children in the crowd. It's cute.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

He seems like a really nice guy as well so the SBW comparison is pretty good.

Also, to the Coco, I'd just go watch the match and enjoy the rugby, don't worry about rooting for anyone in particular and chat to folks around you, most rugby fans are happy to talk to people.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

TBQH he'd basically be like an American Sonny Bill Williams - massive athleticism and strength combined with exceptional game sense and handling.

We should cut out the NFL talk though before I start drinking again in my depression over how USA's athletic talent is wasted a sport no one else in the world gives a poo poo about.

Yeah, this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMviY7cyQpo

My goodness, blatant forward pass from the halfback from the back of the weird scrum, and lots of tackling players without the ball and obstruction of the tackler. It's like the Lions "99" call, but both sides are doing it. Ridiculous!

The tryscorer isn't placing the ball either!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I know, right?

But I live in North Carolina and this team plays in the next city over and is actually really good this year (only one loss) so all of a sudden I'm surrounded by Panthers paraphernalia.

Meanwhile, in Rugby world, my number 1 supported team of Northampton Saints have made it through to the playoffs! All they have to do is beat the team I dislike thirdmost (after Toulon and Leicester) now, but honestly if they want that result they have to develop a better gameplan than "give it to the forwards or, failing that, kick it to the other team" by the time April comes around.

Also: fourth try looked like a forward pass from almost every angle but the default; really should have been replayed, but I can live with the result.

I can live with it.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 26, 2016

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Would be interesting to see how he does in a sport with actual tackling*.
Or he could play in the Southern Hemisphere I suppose.

*seriously what is it with tackling in the NFL? The offensive play is amazing but the number of lovely tackles is like watching a defence staffed entirely by Cuthberts.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Too many players going for highlight reel tackles instead of actually doing their job. It's no surprise that a lot of teams are talking to rugby coaches about tackling and kicking techniques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Ello! I am new to your sport, having grown up in a country that doesn't play this game and mostly being a football fan. I'm now dating someone who's REALLY into rugby and a Quins season ticket holder, and she's going to take me along to a game or two. I really like rugby, I just didn't grow up with it. I watched a 1 hour video on the rules and I've watched 2 live matches so far. Is there an amazing game that I should absolutely watch on Youtube or anything?

I think I'm actually more interested in league versus international games, because I tend to prefer the fact that it's smaller and more local, and I'm actually to go to these games on a semi regular basis for much less money.