Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki3SV9cUz6s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Like, the only way it sort of makes sense is if they want to pass the Undertaker torch by having Bray beat the guy Taker couldn't, but that's a stretch given how poorly Bray's been protected. I'm baffled that they've never even considered the prizefighter vs prizefighter angle for Brock/Owens that basically writes itself. And if it doesn't, Owens and Heyman can certainly talk it up for you.

I'm sure Brock/Owens will happen eventually, but with Zayn healthy again and definitely going to be in the area this Mania weekend with the NXT show, and with the roster as depleted as it is that you need something to kill at least 15 minutes of that show with, you'd have to actually try to gently caress up the giftwrapped Owens/Zayn Mania match you have on your hands

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Jim Cornette's Drive Thru with Court Bauer is probably my favorite wrestling podcast now. He doesn't get any of Jim references (what's a travelogue? abbott and costello???) and he asks these weird loving questions that just tickle Jim pink (the song baby it's cold outside...doesn't that seem a little date rapey?)

It helps that he's also a wrestling fan so he can delve a little deeper on questions that interest him.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm sure Brock/Owens will happen eventually, but with Zayn healthy again and definitely going to be in the area this Mania weekend with the NXT show, and with the roster as depleted as it is that you need something to kill at least 15 minutes of that show with, you'd have to actually try to gently caress up the giftwrapped Owens/Zayn Mania match you have on your hands

:allears:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

todays first caller should cohost instead of sempervive

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Dammit, Filthy Tom got me going for awhile thinking that the actual Stifler was a TNA referee.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Rikidozan: just like JFK

Young Pageviews
May 26, 2014

Let's get this wrestling!

epitasis posted:

todays first caller should cohost instead of sempervive

This call was spectacular. If there were more Mike Francesa-style mongos calling the show, I would listen more regularly.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Holy gently caress that first caller. That guy ruled.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Young Pageviews posted:

This call was spectacular. If there were more Mike Francesa-style mongos calling the show, I would listen more regularly.

I've been thinking Dave is more like Francesa and Alvarez is Mad Dog

Young Pageviews
May 26, 2014

Let's get this wrestling!

Vertical Lime posted:

I've been thinking Dave is more like Francesa and Alvarez is Mad Dog

I would agree, although I feel Alvarez is a lot more like Mad Dog than Dave is like Francesa.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
The literal first time I ever listened to Francesa, he broke into a nosebleed because he had to rush to get into the studio when the music hit, okay. He went to break less than a minute after his show started because he's an out of shape disaster, okay. Can't say that about Davey Meltz. Get lawst.

Back afta dis.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dario the Wop posted:

I recall an earlier telling of the story where Jericho wanted to be speared out of his boots - literally. Gimmicked boots that would've come off upon intact. Did anyone else hear this version, or am I imagining things?
It's in his first book.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm pretty sure this won't happen, as they stubbornly refuse to acknowledge NXT backstory on their main product, and if it hasn't happened on Raw then they don't acknowledge it themselves.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Cory Lidle posted:

The literal first time I ever listened to Francesa, he broke into a nosebleed because he had to rush to get into the studio when the music hit, okay. He went to break less than a minute after his show started because he's an out of shape disaster, okay. Can't say that about Davey Meltz. Get lawst.

Back afta dis.

Ya've gotta do somethin better wit youah life then ask me a wrestlin' question ya know i'm nawt gonna answah. . . . . . . whaddawe even talkin about heah? WWE or da WWF? DEY'RE DA SAME THIN'?!

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 20, 2016

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world

HulkaMatt posted:

Ya've gotta do somethin better wit youah life then ask me a wrestlin' question ya know i'm nawt gonna answah. . . . . . . whaddawe even talkin about heah? WWE or da WWF? DEY'RE DA SAME THIN'?!

It doesn't even get on da aiyah. Clown. Get lawst. You wait tree houahs on da line foah dis?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Bryan going off on the Authority during the retro Raw recap was vintage Bryan

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

Honestly, I was waiting for this. People I talk to who actually Raw have been shouting this same stuff for 6-8 months. I'm really surprised it took him and Dave this long to start railing against all of these segments.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Akileese posted:

Honestly, I was waiting for this. People I talk to who actually Raw have been shouting this same stuff for 6-8 months. I'm really surprised it took him and Dave this long to start railing against all of these segments.

I think Dave has been against it from the beginning, like from the minute HHH came out to deal with Punk and everyone groaned and Dave would resignedly sigh 'well get used to it because this angle's continuing through Wrestlemania' and that was two Manias ago.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I was trying to remember what was going on before the Authority and I think it was the Celebrity Guest GM era.

And while that doesn't feel that long ago the entirety of the Attitude era happened in that amount of time. And gently caress all has changed.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Tonight/this week is the awards issue of the Observer, right? It's my first year actually turning in a ballot, so I'm excited to see who ends up winning with my help :3: see exactly how wrong I am about everything :smith:.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Vertical Lime posted:

To expand on this for people who didn't listen, Bryan's great idea was to put Faarooq in the Jack Tunney/Gorilla Monsoon role, solely so they could play the Nation Of Domination music, which would make the crowd realize that poo poo's about to go down.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 20, 2016

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Call Me Charlie posted:

To expand on this for people who didn't listen, Bryan's great idea was to put Faarooq in the Jack Tunney/Gorilla Monsoon role, solely so they could play the Nation Of Domination music, which would make the crowd would realize that poo poo's about to go down.

Sounded like a good idea to me. I'd be totally ok with a face authority figure who doesn't take poo poo and looks like he could beat the gently caress out of someone.

If Farooq could do it, that would be great. Or just tell someone to watch NXT and do their best Regal.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Call Me Charlie posted:

To expand on this for people who didn't listen, Bryan's great idea was to put Faarooq in the Jack Tunney/Gorilla Monsoon role, solely so they could play the Nation Of Domination music, which would make the crowd would realize that poo poo's about to go down.

Except they would use the APA music with the drat! stinger and it would be a huge joke by week 2.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Muddy Burphy posted:

Except they would use the APA music with the drat! stinger and it would be a huge joke by week 2.
Do you mean like where they'd replace each chord with an autotuned "drat"? Because that'd be loving amazing

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mormon Juggernaut posted:

It doesn't even get on da aiyah. Clown. Get lawst. You wait tree houahs on da line foah dis?

I didn't know the Best Show was a wrestling podcast.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think Dave has been against it from the beginning, like from the minute HHH came out to deal with Punk and everyone groaned and Dave would resignedly sigh 'well get used to it because this angle's continuing through Wrestlemania' and that was two Manias ago.

He did but he wasn't really railing against it like he is now and definitely not like how both Bryan and Vinny are (or in Vinny's case have been).

I've long said that the problem with the authority is that it's main figurehead is a woman. Which in and of itself is not an issue, but she quite literally, cannot get comeuppance. When your sponsors deplore man on woman violence (I am not advocating this, I'm just saying Stephanie cannot even take an accidental spear or punch from Roman), she is just allowed to run roughshod on the entire company and it's loving old. Vince got more comeuppance in like, three weeks of TV than Stephanie has in two years. I actually suggested bringing up Nia Jaxx and aligning her with Roman just to squash Stephanie to get her off TV. You can send her straight down after that and it won't even matter.

I'm with Bryan. They need a face commissioner who just sort of shows up once every few months to make a ruling then goes away. Stop having people come out and telling the fans how much they suck and how everything they like is stupid. It's death.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Muddy Burphy posted:

That's my main problem with that. Everyone expects Ron to just say that one word

Who was the last face authority figure in WWE, Teddy Long?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Akileese posted:

I actually suggested bringing up Nia Jaxx and aligning her with Roman just to squash Stephanie to get her off TV.

You seem to have misspelled Asuka there.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Awards issue up!

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Fauxhawk Express posted:

You seem to have misspelled Asuka there.

Makes no sense from a story line perspective. At least Nia is a member of the Anoaʻi family so they could work that in by some bullshit.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If WWE is gonna keep reheating ideas, Regal being in charge would be fuckin' swell.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Akileese posted:

He did but he wasn't really railing against it like he is now and definitely not like how both Bryan and Vinny are (or in Vinny's case have been).

I've long said that the problem with the authority is that it's main figurehead is a woman. Which in and of itself is not an issue, but she quite literally, cannot get comeuppance. When your sponsors deplore man on woman violence (I am not advocating this, I'm just saying Stephanie cannot even take an accidental spear or punch from Roman), she is just allowed to run roughshod on the entire company and it's loving old. Vince got more comeuppance in like, three weeks of TV than Stephanie has in two years. I actually suggested bringing up Nia Jaxx and aligning her with Roman just to squash Stephanie to get her off TV. You can send her straight down after that and it won't even matter.

I'm with Bryan. They need a face commissioner who just sort of shows up once every few months to make a ruling then goes away. Stop having people come out and telling the fans how much they suck and how everything they like is stupid. It's death.

Triple H should just turn face so I don't get whiplash from him being face on NXT and heel on Raw

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

If you think the only kind of comeuppance is getting your rear end kicked you aren't very creative! Non wrestling authority figures can lose without getting beat up, they just have to be willing to look stupid on TV. There are a hundred ways for a babyface to get one over on The Authority. Remember when Steph got arrested and cried and begged not to be embarrassed on national tv? That stuff is gold, they just won't commit to it. What can they even throw at The Authority right now you could plausibly believe will stick.

Letting her feud with a diva who can put her through the announce table won't keep her from coming out two weeks later to pump up the crowd about the great show she has for them in the opening segment and then being a spoiled princess who always gets her way 30 minutes later

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Dunbar posted:

Awards issue up!

Mahabali Shera preventing WWE from clean sweeping the Worst Gimmick category made me laugh.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

oatgan posted:

If you think the only kind of comeuppance is getting your rear end kicked you aren't very creative! Non wrestling authority figures can lose without getting beat up, they just have to be willing to look stupid on TV. There are a hundred ways for a babyface to get one over on The Authority. Remember when Steph got arrested and cried and begged not to be embarrassed on national tv? That stuff is gold, they just won't commit to it. What can they even throw at The Authority right now you could plausibly believe will stick.

Letting her feud with a diva who can put her through the announce table won't keep her from coming out two weeks later to pump up the crowd about the great show she has for them in the opening segment and then being a spoiled princess who always gets her way 30 minutes later

remember when the authority went away then they forced john cena to bring back the authority or seth rollins would paralyze edge

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

St Evan Echoes posted:

Do you mean like where they'd replace each chord with an autotuned "drat"? Because that'd be loving amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4pVKlWY_A4

Probably more like this one they used to use for him

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Dunbar posted:

Awards issue up!

Link? Or is it paywalled? If so, can I just get a list of his awards?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

check the observer awards thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SaberToothedPie posted:

remember when the authority went away then they forced john cena to bring back the authority or seth rollins would paralyze edge

remember when dusty put his hand up to stephanie during a promo then he was pulled from tv

• Locked thread