Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Telsa Cola posted:

I would imagine a national guard member defecting to the militia or rendering any kind of aid to them if they were called into action would prolly get hammered every which way from Sunday by the courts, doubly so if for some magical hypothetical reason Obama gives a federal mobilization order to the state, if that happened they would get crucified by the military courts. Im pretty sure doing that kind of poo poo gets you shot by your buddies too. So yeah I don't think any one of them would be dumb enough to do that.

They'd also be lionized by the people calling for Bergdahl to be slowly tortured to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Telsa Cola posted:

I would imagine a national guard member defecting to the militia or rendering any kind of aid to them if they were called into action would prolly get hammered every which way from Sunday by the courts, doubly so if for some magical hypothetical reason Obama gives a federal mobilization order to the state, if that happened they would get crucified by the military courts. Im pretty sure doing that kind of poo poo gets you shot by your buddies too. So yeah I don't think any one of them would be dumb enough to do that.

Yea, but that person would become a hero to the Militia movement. They all have a fantasy that when Obummer orders the US Military to start to take orders from NWO UN Zionist leaders, they'd say hell no! And join in the true blue American patriots, and this would just play on that.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Discendo Vox posted:

The danger here (beyond the immediate massive bloodshed problem) is that the state national guard is pulled from the state population, and as such is disproportionately likely to have militia sympathizers in its membership.

The same problem applies to Painframe's suggesting of using state police, and it's entirely possible that Oregon's State Police do not have the available resources or networks to deal with something like this; the Feds have practical experience dealing with similar situations. Funding for law enforcement is very, very tight in OR right now -- nearby Josephine County has been in the news a lot the last couple of years because they can't afford to have police service but the citizens keep voting down any tax initiatives to fund policing.

Also, the Bhagwan would be laughing at these dolts. Has Antelope been brought up ITT?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, but that person would become a hero to the Militia movement. They all have a fantasy that when Obummer orders the US Military to start to take orders from NWO UN Zionist leaders, they'd say hell no! And join in the true blue American patriots, and this would just play on that.

As a former Guard member, this is correct.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like this is easily shut down by the fact that such defection, if it even occurred, would be minuscule at best. Who cares in the grand CW2.0 scheme if Billy Bob defects if the rest if the people in his unit don't? Just laugh and say "Well now lets see the %99.98 defect and then we will talk". Besides if such occurred the Militia movement would have a hero that pretty much the rest of the US would rightfully see as a traitor. Also who really gives a gently caress in the long run if it gives credence to their insane beliefs if it happens? They don't seem to need an actually person to point to feel fully confident it will happen and if it does happen I don't its going to be a major game changer. There is little to no chance of this defector getting away with it for long since the US really really doesn't like that poo poo so its not like they are going to run free without consequences.
Besides if they were smart the military would just use non local units minimizing the problem.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Most recent Military Times poll I saw says that there's a roughly 65/35 split in the military (well, at least the army) in favor of Republicans. I wouldn't be surprised if a ton of them defected to the militia's side against the tyrant Obummer.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mr Interweb posted:

Most recent Military Times poll I saw says that there's a roughly 65/35 split in the military (well, at least the army) in favor of Republicans. I wouldn't be surprised if a ton of them defected to the militia's side against the tyrant Obummer.

Doesn't the Air Force and Officers skew that poll heavily since something like 95% of them are in favor of republicans?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

MariusLecter posted:

Why can't we be more like Israel? Raid the place, kill em all. PlantFind some ISIS flags and pledges of allegiance. Everybody's happy.
I'd settle for copying our current strategy of dealing with militants in Syria, it seems like it's been working pretty well.

We will need to fly some Kurdish spotters into Oregon to give coordinates though.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Lmao the fuuuuuucking governor said that feds asked her not to comment so it wouldn't escalate the situation. This poo poo is ridiculous.

If these guys all turned out to be FBI plants trying to lure in RW nutjobs from across the nation the first thing I would think would be "well then you should have been a little less obvious about it".
Yep, FBI is a bunch of cowards confirmed.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

A Winner is Jew posted:

Doesn't the Air Force and Officers skew that poll heavily since something like 95% of them are in favor of republicans?

Mr Interweb posted:

If Obama for some reason decided to be a tyrannical overlord and did some mad power grab It would be morally and probably legally acceptable for the military to refuse to serve and defect to some militia. But thats not what we are discussing and is avoiding the point, what we are discussing is how would the military react if called to arrest a militia squatting on federal lands with no intent to leave and arming themselves, I really really don't think they are going to defect in numbers just to stick to the Democrat in the White house.

Edit: Like that would look really really really bad for the Army/National Guard/Whatever. Like people getting shot for treason bad. Like the entire Military getting a reorganization bad.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 21, 2016

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mr Interweb posted:

This would require that Republicans actually be in support of the militia. So far I haven't seen any evidence that Republicans - either those who vote that way or Republican institutions - are actually in agreement with them to any substantial degree. I may be wrong, and am open to evidence to the contrary, but even wingnuts seem to view these guys as the lunatic fringe.

E: I also think it's likely that most cops on the scene have seen the video of the Kanes gunning down those cops at that roadside stop a few years ago. I doubt there's a lot of sympathy there either.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 21, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This would require that Republicans actually be in support of the militia. So far I haven't seen any evidence that Republicans - either those who vote that way or Republican institutions - are actually in agreement with them to any substantial degree. I may be wrong, and am open to evidence to the contrary, but even wingnuts seem to view these guys as the lunatic fringe.

It's one thing to whine about the government stopping you from stealing from people with legal loopholes and telling you that you're not allowed to put up "No Muslims" signs in your restaurant. It's a whole 'nother ball game to actually seize federal property with guns, threaten to kill any cops who get too close, and start destroying poo poo out in the forest accusing the FBI of spying on you.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Discendo Vox posted:

I believe this has some tiein with the Mormon elements of their flavor of sovcit beliefs.

Nah, they're Shofars. Hyperconservatives use them as some weird symbol of Israeli support despite casually blowing them for random poo poo being hella unkosher. They're just disrespectful idiots.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Larry David made a funny once about 'blowing the chauffeur'

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
I {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red2\green20\blue31;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs20 \cf2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 \
}

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

sparatuvs posted:

\deftab720

}

Agreed.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

sparatuvs posted:

\deftab720

}

Thanks, R2.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

sparatuvs posted:

\deftab720

}

Still more coherent than the militia.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Schizotek posted:

Nah, they're Shofars. Hyperconservatives use them as some weird symbol of Israeli support despite casually blowing them for random poo poo being hella unkosher. They're just disrespectful idiots.
My bad! What a weird thing to do- I assumed they had some relation to their ideology, but I guess they've just been cooped up there so long, they've started getting horny.

edit: Ah, I knew it was something! Apparently it's a moderately fringey LDS belief to treat Moroni's trumpet as a shofar, possibly drawing from the same ill-conceived Israeli solidarity of identity ideas.

sparatuvs posted:

\deftab720

}

mods ban this sick filth.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 21, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
How intriguing, it seems like the Feds have not been playing 11th-dimensional chess and are in fact too indolent or racist to arrest white terrorists.

Also it seems like the whole "should I mail a used dildo" kerfuffle could be solved at a stroke with a container of Vaseline and a melted Hershey's bar: I'm Just Saying.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SedanChair posted:

How intriguing, it seems like the Feds have not been playing 11th-dimensional chess and are in fact too indolent or racist to arrest white terrorists.

Huh? What changed?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

Huh? What changed?

Absolutely nothing, for several decades.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

theflyingorc posted:

Huh? What changed?

sparatuvs posted:

\deftab720

}

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SedanChair posted:

Absolutely nothing, for several decades.

You were just talking like there was new information on the fed's strategy or something

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

You were just talking like there was new information on the fed's strategy or something

They privately begged the governor of Oregon to pretend none of this is happening

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Also it seems like the whole "should I mail a used dildo" kerfuffle could be solved at a stroke with a container of Vaseline and a melted Hershey's bar: I'm Just Saying.

Or just an old cardboard box full of random crap, with Vaseline, melted chocolate and organic peanut butter smeared all over the outside, labeled "SPENT BUTTPLUGS" in permanent marker.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
One protester has a murder conviction.

e: and a patricide, no less! back in the good old days he would've been sewn into a sack with a snake, dog and rooster and thrown into the sea! :argh:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SedanChair posted:

They privately begged the governor of Oregon to pretend none of this is happening

What an odd interpretation of events.

quote:

She confirmed that federal authorities had asked her office and other local officials to say as little as possible about the occupation to keep from adding any fuel to the occupiers' rhetorical fire. But that didn't stop her from speaking out all the same.

your point appears to be "the FBI are not playing the long game because they asked the governor to play the long game"?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

As a Millennial I posted:

The FBI better be saving every second of Pete's streams as they're broadcast.

As much as I want to believe this the way in which Republicans at the federal level have harassed the FBI and other law enforcement agencies when they try to investigate domestic terrorism makes we wonder if the reason it appears as if nothing is being done by the feds is because nothing is being done by the feds.

Schizotek posted:

It has nothing to do with Israel, it's some creepy messianic "judaism" thing.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 21, 2016

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

As a Millennial I posted:

As expected, Pete has decided that the community meeting was a scripted event full of crisis actors. His viewers are eating it up too:

And while the FBI's preparations at the hospital are scary big brother bullshit, the Oath Keepers' triage prep is "in case somebody, you know, breaks a leg, and the hospital's 30 miles away." Okay.

I have pretty severe facial blindness and I can usually tell they're totally different people. These people must not be able to recognize their own mothers most of the time.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

My bad! What a weird thing to do- I assumed they had some relation to their ideology, but I guess they've just been cooped up there so long, they've started getting horny.

edit: Ah, [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Moroni[/url]I knew it was something! Apparently it's a moderately fringey LDS belief to treat Moroni's trumpet as a shofar, possibly drawing from the same ill-conceived Israeli solidarity of identity ideas.

Wow, what a...really weird thing. Welp, guess I've learned something new!

Also:

https://twitter.com/eagle1776n/status/690002472132309000

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

sparatuvs posted:

\deftab720

}

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

your point appears to be "the FBI are not playing the long game because they asked the governor to play the long game"?

Why, look how long that game is. That's a mighty long game. Maybe their intention is to allow them to slip away scott-free, but for society to slowly outpace them and make them less relevant. I must say, it's playing out.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Geostomp posted:

Can someone remind me again why these guys aren't called terrorists?

Because white and christian, which is literally only slightly different from brown and muslim in reality, but in America give you access to rights those others don't deserve to have or should have access too.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

kartikeya posted:

Wow, what a...really weird thing. Welp, guess I've learned something new!

Also:

https://twitter.com/eagle1776n/status/690002472132309000

Oh good. Complete morons with no idea how to safely handle artifacts doing exactly that.

I bet these fucker's would be dumb enough to put lime juice on the Declaration of Independence just to be sure if there were secret messages on the back or not.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
Watch these fuckers steal other people's past and sell it on e-Bay.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Watch these fuckers steal other people's past and sell it on e-Bay.

They're becoming more and more like ISIS every day

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
It's like when your bratty little sister gets into your closet. She treats your stuff poorly while she tries to play big-girl and acts like she's pulling it off (she's not, she's ruining everything) meanwhile mom is telling you to ignore her and she'll go away (she doesn't.)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bast Relief posted:

It's like when your bratty little sister gets into your closet. She treats your stuff poorly while she tries to play big-girl and acts like she's pulling it off (she's not, she's ruining everything) meanwhile mom is telling you to ignore her and she'll go away (she doesn't.)

Which is why you unlatch her seatbelt and then make your mother swerve into a lightpost next time you go to the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought the whole point of the FBI holding back was to let these guys make an embarrassment of themselves and deny them the heroic battle that they so crave. The longer this goes on, the more people in the community they piss off, the less powerful their example is to other at-risk conservative radicals. Is that still what is believed, or do people all assume that the FBI is actually just a bunch of dummies?

• Locked thread