Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wrist Watch posted:

If nothing else just watch from the beginning up until around 1:50 which is basically the entire thing in a nutshell.

e: actually after rewatching that for a bit there were a bunch of legit cool things Eternal added, it's just that the bad things stand out a lot. that's kind of binding of isaac in a nutshell: there's a whole lot of really good stuff so the things that are actually poo poo are super obvious when you come across them

I laughed when he rerolled chocolate milk into fuckin nothin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Well I unlocked the Keeper and holy poo poo gently caress this guy. Seven runs so far and I can't even get past the 3rd floor. I have all the post its unlocked for every other character. How do you guys actually get anywhere with this poo poo character?

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Vasler posted:

Well I unlocked the Keeper and holy poo poo gently caress this guy. Seven runs so far and I can't even get past the 3rd floor. I have all the post its unlocked for every other character. How do you guys actually get anywhere with this poo poo character?

Hug poo poo. Seriously get close enough that all three tears hit your target, and if you're not feeling confident leave money lying around to pick up later. ...Or bomb a swallowed penny out of a pot on b1 and don't ever get hit twice in a row.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vasler posted:

are you having fun yet

no? how bout a mod that makes him bearable

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

This looks awesome, thank you! Do you know if I'll still get achievements for reaching specific milestones with this mod active? Things like beating mega satan, blue baby and others.

Edit: Checked the website in more detail and it looks like you do still retain the achievements. Great!

Double edit: Even with this mod I still can't do well with the Keeper. Indescribable. I...can't believe that I was able to get all the Lost post its but I can't get to mom even with this mod. Everything is indeed terrible.

Vasler fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 21, 2016

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

SaffronKit posted:

Frankly I'm having more trouble getting to Mega Satan with the Lost than the Boss Rush. Having to pass on Devil Deals entirely because you can't utilize sacrifice rooms really makes getting a ridiculous killer build a lot harder, and also makes it more difficult to get a Dead Cat as insurance because I'm bad at the game.

Boss Rush is easy with any character really unless you're trying to break the game or maximize your gains from every floor. Save all keys for item room, find item room, find boss room, leave. Anything else is useless unless you've collected enough money to go to the store, then go to the store if you found it along the way already. Actually completing the boss rush is an entirely different story of course, it can range from hard to so easy I might die from inattentiveness depending on your build.
I said a week ago that I regularly find dad's key on the chest and I still am. :shrug: That's how I do mega satan pretty much every time, gently caress angel rooms.

The active item pool on the chest isn't small but you've probably picked up over half of them already so it's pretty easy to find dad's key. Just in the past few days:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sanctum posted:

I said a week ago that I regularly find dad's key on the chest and I still am. :shrug: That's how I do mega satan pretty much every time, gently caress angel rooms.

The active item pool on the chest isn't small but you've probably picked up over half of them already so it's pretty easy to find dad's key. Just in the past few days:

Is this some..elaborate Loss edit?

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Jibo posted:

Doesn't Eternal make enemies more tanky and damage ups more scarce?
All true, and sometimes the D6 doesn't work. That's not the point I'm trying to make. I'm fine with all that, you can play around the added abilities to eternal enemies once you learn their patterns. Personally, I'd rather deal with a consistently-hard-but-fair game where I can gently caress up once or even twice in a room, instead of a difficult-sometimes-impossible game. My point: Having a character that can only take one hit is a lazy way of inflating the difficulty when there are sources of unavoidable damage in your game - there's a reason the last thing I did with Lost was Boss Rush because there are at least two waves in Rebirth Boss rush that can kill you from outside the screen. I like Lost with Holy Mantle and Keeper with Wooden Nickel, but they are rather lazy attempts at inflating difficulty.

I killed the Bloat with Mega Blast yesterday, I recommend it for everyone.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Is there a mod that prevents you from getting curse of the blind on the chest/dark room? I tried googling for it but didn't really see anything.

That's been my single biggest complaint with the game since I started playing and I don't understand why it's even possible. I don't really mind most curses but the next time I get a mediocre run where I'm struggling to get to the chest only to get curse of the blind I swear to god I'm going to figure out a way to punch Ed in the dick through my computer

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Or is it Sputnik posted:

All true, and sometimes the D6 doesn't work. That's not the point I'm trying to make. I'm fine with all that, you can play around the added abilities to eternal enemies once you learn their patterns. Personally, I'd rather deal with a consistently-hard-but-fair game where I can gently caress up once or even twice in a room, instead of a difficult-sometimes-impossible game. My point: Having a character that can only take one hit is a lazy way of inflating the difficulty when there are sources of unavoidable damage in your game - there's a reason the last thing I did with Lost was Boss Rush because there are at least two waves in Rebirth Boss rush that can kill you from outside the screen. I like Lost with Holy Mantle and Keeper with Wooden Nickel, but they are rather lazy attempts at inflating difficulty.

I killed the Bloat with Mega Blast yesterday, I recommend it for everyone.

Somehow I've managed to do everything with the Lost except Hush and Mega Satan

Am I actually set on having completed tedious bullshit with him!?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

I was going to write a post about all the dumb things in eternal but I looked it up to double check and it was worse than I remembered:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/34nekw/changes_to_the_item_poolsspecial_items_in_the_new/
https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/34o6gu/complete_list_of_changes_in_hardmode_besides/

Or if you prefer video form I recommend Bisnap because he doesn't do gimmicks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctkS6c-VLUg

If nothing else just watch from the beginning up until around 1:50 which is basically the entire thing in a nutshell.

e: actually after rewatching that for a bit there were a bunch of legit cool things Eternal added, it's just that the bad things stand out a lot. that's kind of binding of isaac in a nutshell: there's a whole lot of really good stuff so the things that are actually poo poo are super obvious when you come across them

It gets cool around the Womb, with the eternal challenge room. Some of the eternal enemies and bosses look like better fights, just too much drat health. Eternal monstro, fallen and It Lives in particular.

But he's Guppy by then. A lot of that stuff might be a real pain in the rear end on a regular run.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

BillmasterCozb posted:

Is this some..elaborate Loss edit?

It's even stranger when you see that he posted FOUR MORE screenshots earlier in the thread. I honestly wonder if there is a paid lobby for proving that Dad's Key will appear in the Chest, and he's just rolling in that fat payola.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3677970&userid=74820&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post454803170

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Nah, I get Dad's Key all the time.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Update just hit. the only thing it looks like they changed was adding a language option and making the tech items no longer pierce through rocks.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Have played over 476 hours of this game. Have almost every completion mark done on hard mode. Have all but 3 challenges completed including I Rule! Still can't complete Head Trauma. gently caress that stupid challenge.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

Grapplejack posted:

Update just hit. the only thing it looks like they changed was adding a language option and making the tech items no longer pierce through rocks.

The game crashes when I attempt to start a run :bravo:

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Wow Tiny Planet makes it physically impossible to hit anything with Proptosis, that's super cool + fun.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Wow Tiny Planet makes it physically impossible to hit anything with Proptosis, that's super cool + fun.

Never pick up Tiny Planet. Unless you have Lump of Coal, Brimstone, or Tech.

Maybe there's other good things for it too, but still, gently caress that item.

E: I've had multiple RPG files where Tiny Planet is the last item I need other than Scissors. gently caress that item.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Seems Shopkeepers can drop trinkets now too

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jibo posted:

E: I've had multiple RPG files where Tiny Planet is the last item I need other than Scissors. gently caress that item.

If you have high tears / split tears / something to multiply your tears it's pretty good. I picked it up when I had the wiz and it was pretty great.

Pixeltendo posted:

They also brought back Friends Til The End, The pill that gives you three blue flies.
Also Lucky Pennies now only give .85 luck, rather than the full one point.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Grapplejack posted:

They also brought back Friends Til The End, The pill that gives you three blue flies.

is this their way of "buffing" pills, b/c i ain't having it. just another neutral pill to poo poo up ph.d with

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Jibo posted:

I'm doing Head Trauma. I have no choice.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I'm doing Head Trauma. I have no choice.

Your tears converge initially at a set point behind you. The way I beat it was by using that as a kill zone.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I once had Tiny Planet along with Coal, Loki's Horns and high luck. It was pretty great.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Some people are saying that Bumbo no longer does contact damage to certain enemies, which is kinda a weird change to make.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

that ivy guy posted:

is this their way of "buffing" pills, b/c i ain't having it. just another neutral pill to poo poo up ph.d with

I'll take Friends Til The End over Health Up or Percs just about any day. We need more neutral pill effects that aren't actually negatives and they really need to split Percs/Addicted and One Makes You Small/Large.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Saigyouji posted:

Some people are saying that Bumbo no longer does contact damage to certain enemies, which is kinda a weird change to make.

He did? In some of my runs he didn't and his only form of offense was dropping bombs.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

40 MB Update, maybe they buffed the Keeper!?!?!

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Jibo posted:

I'll take Friends Til The End over Health Up or Percs just about any day.
I know health up can be bad in some situations, but why wouldn't you want Percs? Those are really useful late in the game. Still, I really feel like PhD should affect more pills. It's really annoying to pick up PhD and still get ???, Retro Vision, and Addicted.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

NotInventedHere posted:

I know health up can be bad in some situations, but why wouldn't you want Percs? Those are really useful late in the game. Still, I really feel like PhD should affect more pills. It's really annoying to pick up PhD and still get ???, Retro Vision, and Addicted.

If Percs lasted the whole floor rather than one room I would like it but in my experience it rarely saves even a Balls of Steel worth of hearts unless you just hold onto it until you get to Mega Satan or luck into a demon beggar in the late game.

There's only so many rooms where taking half damage is going to pay out whereas a couple of extra points of damage is pretty much always welcome.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
Percs is excellent for sacrifice rooms now, but yeah 90% of the time it's worthless.

Pixeltendo posted:

Special shopkeepers could already drop the Penny trinkets, did they add any more?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Grapplejack posted:

If you have high tears / split tears / something to multiply your tears it's pretty good. I picked it up when I had the wiz and it was pretty great.

Also Lucky Pennies now only give .85 luck, rather than the full one point.

I was wondering why they didn't bring back Friends Til the End instead of making two loving identical spider-spawning pills in Afterbirth. I know one explodes them out of poop that might be on the ground, but 99.9% of the time they're the same pill.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

I was wondering why they didn't bring back Friends Til the End instead of making two loving identical spider-spawning pills in Afterbirth. I know one explodes them out of poop that might be on the ground, but 99.9% of the time they're the same pill.

Because Berkano exists

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sagacious posted:

Actually they updated their blog with more information about the PS4 and Xbox version. hate to repeat myself but here it is one more time for the people who might have missed it.

If you had read the post I was quoting you would have noticed the person was talking about the Vita version which is the primary one I also play, the useless fucks at Nicalis have no comment on any of those versions and Tyrone actually tweeted out that the Vita and the Wii U are the same power wise, largely because they don't want to optimize the game for the various platforms, I mean on PC BoI uses a lot of processing power which is a sign of bad optimization, easy to port it to the PS4 and Xbone because they're basically PC's not so much with a vita or 3DS, Wii U I don't even know, I am aware its the more underpowered console but its specs shouldn't be that weird that they can't port it over.

I like BoI, I would give my money to Edmumd gladly if he would port the expansion on the platform that I prefer playing it on, as for my Nicalis comments well, they kind of brought that on themselves with how bad they are at managing PR apparently or just talking to people, I mean Edmunds comments afterbirth+ pricing and the closing of that particular blog where as abrasive as they come, I don't really feel that kind of poo poo is necessary.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I finally beat Hush with loving Keeper. I swear simply having 3 Pretty Flies did more to protect me than all the crap I tried before. Also enough speed to outrun the eyebeams.

Then died in a Chest room with a Brownie and two Dingles. Guppy's Collar brought me back, and did it again when I died in the same room.

I'm seeing a lot of mixed boss pairs all of a sudden, was that recently patched in? Not in the endgame, but in actual double-sized boss rooms.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

IMJack posted:

I finally beat Hush with loving Keeper. I swear simply having 3 Pretty Flies did more to protect me than all the crap I tried before. Also enough speed to outrun the eyebeams.

Then died in a Chest room with a Brownie and two Dingles. Guppy's Collar brought me back, and did it again when I died in the same room.

I'm seeing a lot of mixed boss pairs all of a sudden, was that recently patched in? Not in the endgame, but in actual double-sized boss rooms.
It's impossible to tell if there are more of them now from the sample size, but mixed bosses were a thing before today.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The dual Adversary fight where they start in opposite corners seems like it's just manufactured to screw you over. They can chain hit you with their curving brimstone poo poo as soon as you walk into the room and because they curve toward you from opposite directions there's nowhere you can go to avoid it. :geno:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Man I love this game, I remember seeing people putting 150+ hours plus into it and here was me playing for like 12 and thinking "yeah I don't get this" but theres something about the balance between the difficulty, the constant discovery of new items and the style of the game that just keeps me coming back.

Also hearing people speak about high level Isaac play is like hearing someone speak about MOBA's when you don't have a clue what they are going on about.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

And I'm done. That was fun, except the last part - unlocking Blinding Baby and the last five items in the collection grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Or is it Sputnik posted:

And I'm done. That was fun, except the last part - unlocking Blinding Baby and the last five items in the collection grid.

I'm at the point where I need to find only a few more items including mega blast - is greed mode the best way to do this?