Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
His base damage was reduced slightly and transforming back to human stress heals people less, so he's much more of a stress generator if you transform frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Darkest Dungeon.gif

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Gabriel Pope posted:

Not really. The main one that comes up is level limits and people mostly just point out that there's a very good reason they're there
What's the justification for the Holy Lance change?

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Darkest Dungeon.gif

:stare: what is happening there that makes him go off like that

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Darkest Dungeon.gif

goddamn. need video link please.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

lalaland posted:

It's hard to tell, but I think the Necromancer just killed off his Bounty Hunter and maybe his Vestal too.
I sincerely hope that that's fake, though.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

The necromancer was also at next to no hit points. Mind you, even if he had managed that kill, he'd still need to take out the minions too.

Someone please edit the stress symbol, and a 'Player's resolve is tested' message please?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

paradoxGentleman posted:

I sincerely hope that that's fake, though.
It's not a fake.
Full rage buildup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GW-Y445jUc
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 21, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Been using Jester, and he's not bad at all? He basically ensures that my team comes back with no stress. Granted, I just have Solo/Finale and the two buffs. There's nothing wrong with a character that is just straight up used for utility, especially one that mitigates stress completely.

I haven't played the jester in a while but back in early access he was fairly useful IF

1) you were between level 2 and level 5 or so, because he needed a decently strong party to buff, but not one so strong his buffs were superfluous,

and

2) You weren't trying to speed run, because his best use was buffing and that takes longer than a direct damage party.

Then they put in some downsides for dragging out combat via stunlocks, etc., so he got less useful.

I still think the Leper is probably worse overall just due to the lack of move skills, especially now that most front rank enemies have PROT.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What's with the names that sometimes pop up above the party setup for certain combinations. I just set up a Vestal, Jester, Grave Robber, Leper party, and it popped up "Unlikely Lively". Do they offer any additional benefits?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Broken Cog posted:

What's with the names that sometimes pop up above the party setup for certain combinations. I just set up a Vestal, Jester, Grave Robber, Leper party, and it popped up "Unlikely Lively". Do they offer any additional benefits?
They are just for flavor. Devs asked people to submit party names that reflected the theme of a certain makeup. Crusader, Highwayman, Plague Doctor, and Vestal is "The Usual Suspects" because that is the first party for everyone, etc.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

lalaland posted:

It looks like his whole Party wiped, at least the last two surviving guys. I found it on the Steam page for the game under 'Artwork'

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

It's not a fake.
Full rage buildup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GW-Y445jUc
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

:roflolmao: this makes me so happy I beat the necromancer before the latest changes, when you could still do double crusaders spamming Holy Lance in the first two slots. Easiest boss fight since the Hag.

this was pretty much me during the collector fight yesterday though

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 21, 2016

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

You know when you clear a quest and it immediately pops up a thing asking if you want to leave, so you have to click that away to open the last chest or whatever. Is there a way to turn that off? It's a veryr minor inconvenience obviously but if there's a way I'd be happy. I don't remember that being that way when I played this in very early access.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol that guy deserves to wipe, he brought a Jester with him. funniest part is "ONE MORE FUCKIN HIT" but I think you also need to clear the skellytens. Might have been even funnier if he beat the Necro and then realized the skeletons were left, and then wiped.

not to mention doing that with just 3 people lol

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 21, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One jester I had was not so bad, he had all of the combat skills that shuffled him around, including Finale which moved him to the back to start it all over again. As a battle-dancer he was pretty competent.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Who takes a bounty hunter to fight the necromancer anyway I mean seriously double crusader that poo poo and LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR

LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR

LET THE BODIES HIT THEEEEEE

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Disgusting Coward posted:

Who takes a bounty hunter to fight the necromancer anyway I mean seriously double crusader that poo poo and LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR

LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR

LET THE BODIES HIT THEEEEEE

Crusaders can't holy lance from slot 2 any more, so they'll just be punching skeletons now. I mean, they're good at punching skeletons, but you need to focus at least a little bit on the necromancer himself if you want to win the fight.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol that guy deserves to wipe, he brought a Jester with him. funniest part is "ONE MORE FUCKIN HIT" but I think you also need to clear the skellytens.

I think that if you run away from the skeletons it's still a victory, actually.

also holy poo poo, someone with such a short temper should not perform in front of a live audience

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Been using Jester, and he's not bad at all? He basically ensures that my team comes back with no stress. Granted, I just have Solo/Finale and the two buffs. There's nothing wrong with a character that is just straight up used for utility, especially one that mitigates stress completely.

A strong party doesn't even really need a Jester to stay at minimum stress, though. Having 4 good attackers instead of 3 (or fewer!) means you don't take a lot of stress to begin with and rack up enough crits to bleed off the little bit that you get stuck with. Not to mention that there are two other classes who are almost as good at stress relief while having a lot more offense/utility.

Thankfully, the last patch made it so you can have a Jester who can sort of fight and still do stress relief when needed, so he's not completely useless anymore. Also, Jester + Abomination is actually a good idea now; the original Abomination design was so borked that the Jester was still superfluous, but now the stress costs are high enough that the Jester becomes useful and the Abomination's sheer strength helps make up for the Jester's weakness.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
The biggest criticism I can level at this game so far (outside of jester) is that not being able to choose which skills to pick until you unlock the guild can really gently caress you over early on. It's a moot point because you unlock the guild very early but I can see people getting soured when they first start because their plague doctor or highwayman had really spotty skill combos early on.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

I think that if you run away from the skeletons it's still a victory, actually.

also holy poo poo, someone with such a short temper should not perform in front of a live audience

I dunno, his temper is probably a plus for his viewers. "for the lulz" or whatever.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Speedball posted:

Either the narrator wrote a LOT of notes before he offed himself or being dead is no detriment to his being able to chat your ear off.

"Yes, Grandpa, I KNOW this land is a festering abomination!"

"and another thing, why havent you found a nice girl and settled down yet. when i was your age id already been married twice"

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I might pick up TDD but I remember a Kripp video some time ago where he was saying this was an incredible 20 hours experience without endgame. Has this changed? Are new items/characters being released, or is there a permanent progression system that makes it worth it (and fun) to keep playing?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

You're in luck because the endgame has been added to the game two days ago. There is permanent progression, yes, but bear in mind that it is possible to lose any money and resources you invest in your heroes if they die.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
It's impossible to actually lose in DD. You can lose resources sure, but you can always just throw people meat-grinder style into dungeons to grab stuff and not care. Once you fully unlock the coach upgrades this becomes laughably easy. Essentially as long as you upgrade your buildings you're making permanent progress.

Just don't get attached to anyone.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

The biggest criticism I can level at this game so far (outside of jester) is that not being able to choose which skills to pick until you unlock the guild can really gently caress you over early on. It's a moot point because you unlock the guild very early but I can see people getting soured when they first start because their plague doctor or highwayman had really spotty skill combos early on.

The designers preempted your objection. Reynauld and Dismas have fixed starting skill loadouts. The PD and Vestal have two random skills but also two fixed skills, so they'll always be at least half-functional.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Red Mundus posted:

That, and even once it unlocks it's really fuckin' expensive to fix someone who has 2-3 lovely skills, which can gently caress you over if you have bad luck with the wagon. This is really more an issue of there being too many lovely skills, though. A lot of classes only have 4-5 worthwhile skills.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So one more little criticism, point-blank shot seems a little too overpowered for both player and enemy. Highwaymen can absolutely destroy enemies with it and enemies that use it can be a pain. Not unbalanced or anything but seems a little too good even if it does require you to be in the front row.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

thinking of making a second save file just to see how long it takes to upgrade poo poo in the full release. I've played for about a year, before the 3-4 areas had designated heirlooms; I have like 200 loving portraits but constantly scrounge up those parchment papers for upgrades. Gotta wonder how easy or hard it is now to go the suggested route of upgrading stagecoach first, then doing stress healers places and the armor/weapon upgrades alongside some skill upgrade tiers.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

paranoid randroid posted:

"and another thing, why havent you found a nice girl and settled down yet. when i was your age id already been married twice"

Kids your age should be looking for a nice girl to tie to an eldritch idol and shove into the ocean.

Red Mundus posted:

So one more little criticism, point-blank shot seems a little too overpowered for both player and enemy. Highwaymen can absolutely destroy enemies with it and enemies that use it can be a pain. Not unbalanced or anything but seems a little too good even if it does require you to be in the front row.

I think its balanced by the fact that your giving up a slot for an ability that can only be used on the front row while in the front row, while also pushing you backwards. Plus a lot of enemy frontliners have protection so its not like you're one-shotting everything with it.

Those 50+ damage crits are fun though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Panfilo posted:

Darkest Dungeon.gif

This is beautiful

:darksouls:

Gabriel Pope posted:

That, and even once it unlocks it's really fuckin' expensive to fix someone who has 2-3 lovely skills, which can gently caress you over if you have bad luck with the wagon. This is really more an issue of there being too many lovely skills, though. A lot of classes only have 4-5 worthwhile skills.

If someone has 3 lovely skills there's no point in investing in fixing their skills. Level 0 heroes are entirely disposable and you should be throwing them into the blender. Anybody who doesn't have good skills who comes out of a dungeon with stress, you sack them and hire somebody new. Doing that a couple times means you make way more profit and you end up with a better team with skills you like.

Its your own fault if you level somebody up to level 4 before you realize they have lovely skills or something. And if you can get them that far with lovely skills then apparently they aren't so lovely.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 21, 2016

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Ugh, gently caress the jester. I just can't make him useful. I tried giving him solo, finale, and the 2 backrow buff spells but DD just isn't a game where 1 party member can just sit in the back doing nothing. He tanked my party because none of his buffs were really giving me any advantage.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Panfilo posted:

Darkest Dungeon.gif

Holy smokes. I'm kind of concerned about that guy, that's not a healthy level of anger control.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mzbundifund posted:

Holy smokes. I'm kind of concerned about that guy, that's not a healthy level of anger control.

Well he is on camera. I would really question if he'd do the same if he wasn't streaming. Even if it isn't "fake" he's probably hamming it up a little intentionally.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

If someone has 3 lovely skills there's no point in investing in fixing their skills. Level 0 heroes are entirely disposable and you should be throwing them into the blender. Anybody who doesn't have good skills who comes out of a dungeon with stress, you sack them and hire somebody new. Doing that a couple times means you make way more profit and you end up with a better team with skills you like.

This is a luxury that's going to be a lot harder to afford in NG+, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gabriel Pope posted:

This is a luxury that's going to be a lot harder to afford in NG+, though.

Yeah that's true, but that's NG+ for ya. And you've still got what like 17 deaths? So you can spare a couple. But yeah on NG+ you may have to hold onto some level 0s and take care of them later on or something.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So I take it back, the jester isn't completely useless. I'm using him on milk runs to decrease people's stress for free. Still, what an awkward character. Also it's weird having someone walk through chasms and ruins and come out less stressed than they did going in. Feels counter-intuitive.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

Ugh, gently caress the jester. I just can't make him useful. I tried giving him solo, finale, and the 2 backrow buff spells but DD just isn't a game where 1 party member can just sit in the back doing nothing. He tanked my party because none of his buffs were really giving me any advantage.

for anyone who wants a buffer that can actually do damage and be useful, def give the Man-At-Arms a try. he has a similar party buff, but also has an additional party base 11+ ACC buff--and that's not counting his pretty decent Crush, tanky self-mark Riposte which can lead to some nice damage on the offset, and of course his uber-tank ability to Guard others. He won't give you Stress heals or bleeds (use Houndmaster for the latter) but his all-around tank-buff capabilities, great camp buffs for the party, and actual ability to do damage to and from rank 3 makes him an excellent utility hand. Some of my highest level dudes have been MaA, simply because they were taken on many missions for their great support, damage, and tankiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Red Mundus posted:

So I take it back, the jester isn't completely useless. I'm using him on milk runs to decrease people's stress for free. Still, what an awkward character. Also it's weird having someone walk through chasms and ruins and come out less stressed than they did going in. Feels counter-intuitive.

After listening to the Jester plinking away on his lute for a couple of hours, an agonizing death at the hands of horrifying eldritch abominations doesn't sound so bad by comparison.