Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

I listed some ways they got value, but that was dismissed because there were theoretical better ways to get those objectives.

But even if the goal was just to get BLM back in the Bay Area news conversations, I can't think of a more effective thing 50 people could have done.

They could have shut down the golden gate bridge, which is more symbolic, has huge tourist traffic on holidays, is a psychotic choke point, etc. I suspect that, rather than the bay bridge, would still be talked about today instead of barely being mentioned on Bay area news sites front pages.

Considering the size of the plazas they could have shut down the gg and Richmond bridges with the same number of people, with increased symbolism on the Marin side thanks to San Quentin plus bonus increased targeting of the super wealthy in Marin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zachack posted:

They could have shut down the golden gate bridge, which is more symbolic, has huge tourist traffic on holidays, is a psychotic choke point, etc. I suspect that, rather than the bay bridge, would still be talked about today instead of barely being mentioned on Bay area news sites front pages.

Considering the size of the plazas they could have shut down the gg and Richmond bridges with the same number of people, with increased symbolism on the Marin side thanks to San Quentin plus bonus increased targeting of the super wealthy in Marin.

I'm not sure it would have been as easy to shut down the GG, the NPS is involved, etc. I'm having trouble finding a time when people have protested and shut down the golden gate. Maybe that's the next goal :getin:

Also I think it is fair that people should be allowed to protest in their own communities.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm not sure it would have been as easy to shut down the GG, the NPS is involved, etc. I'm having trouble finding a time when people have protested and shut down the golden gate. Maybe that's the next goal :getin:

Also I think it is fair that people should be allowed to protest in their own communities.

Both sides of the gg have choke points, one with convenient parking and tour buses doing half your work, the other easily accessible from below and with a toll plaza leading to a nightmare merge. And I don't know what you think the NPS would do, they aren't cops.

And Richmond is much more their community than Emeryville, to say nothing of the value of impacting people with influence and wealth in Marin.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Zachack posted:

The anti-vaxxers chose GG last year on a normal weekend and managed to slow it down at least partially. It screwed up traffic on 19th twice as bad as normal for a Saturday and they may not have even blocked the roadway.

It didn't exactly help them.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 21, 2016

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

SousaphoneColossus posted:

Maybe I worded my initial post badly, but my real question has always been "what value could they gain from that particular protest rather than any other protest."

If I genuinely thought shutting down a bridge the way they did would significantly advance the cause of BLM beyond vague, unspecific assertions of "momentum" and "gaining organizing experience", I'd say great, do it. But it seems that you and a lot of advocates of these kind of protests just take it for granted that it is not only appropriate but necessary action, and I suppose I'm not able to make the connection between the action and any significant advancement of the cause.

Edit: slightly better wording

The protest is against police actions. Blocking traffic is a form of protest that takes an unusually large amount of police presence to deal with.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Zachack posted:

Both sides of the gg have choke points, one with convenient parking and tour buses doing half your work, the other easily accessible from below and with a toll plaza leading to a nightmare merge. And I don't know what you think the NPS would do, they aren't cops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Park_Police

Not to mention the rangers that are law enforcement rangers.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
California may require all smartphones to have an encryption backdoor in order to fight human trafficking.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

What could go wrong?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Nice, the overblown "human trafficking" panic is reaching its crescendo of stupidity, with many of the myths and overblown numbers they throw around finally getting challenged by legitimate news sources. Getting the tech industry to turn against it will be one more nail in the coffin.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

In other news, politicians will continue to claim that [insert terrible thing here] is the reason we need to break encryption, until they finally push something through that breaks encryption.

At least the hilarious level of influence the tech lobby has over California politics has a good shot at quashing this particular permutation of the current outcry.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's not going to happen. Our own government agencies require communication devices with strong encryption; essentially, the proposal would prevent the major phone manufacturers from providing a product that US government orgs actually require. Not that it'd get as far as those agencies having to complain about suddenly being unable to buy secure smartphones for their employees.

Because this is just typical political posturing from an assemblyman who is a former sheriff, playing to the law-enforcement-favoring constituency that elected him. He probably already knows perfectly well that this isn't going to happen.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Leperflesh posted:

Because this is just typical political posturing from an assemblyman who is a former sheriff
Of course hes probably hoping it does go through so he can spy on his wife, boy-hookers, and coke dealers.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Leperflesh posted:

It's not going to happen. Our own government agencies require communication devices with strong encryption; essentially, the proposal would prevent the major phone manufacturers from providing a product that US government orgs actually require. Not that it'd get as far as those agencies having to complain about suddenly being unable to buy secure smartphones for their employees.
Unless, as seems to be the case in the UK, the government genuinely believes their own bullshit and really thinks a 'good guys only' backdoor is possible.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Regarding residential solar: NEM 2.0 is pretty OK. The new rules were voted on by the CPUC about 11 hours ago. 1:1 retail credit for what is generated barring non-bypassable charges. The specific non-bypassable charges are:

Things like this, the Reliability Services on down. Those get charged instantaneously upon usage instead of only at true-up. There's also going to be a one-time fee of $100 to connect a solar array to the grid. All total should work out to be ~$100 per year plus $100 up front. Slows the return slightly but not too badly. Time of Use rates will be mandatory for all NEM 2.0 customers. TOU rates already are the most common, only starting March 1st the new TOU rate, TOU-A will be a 3pm-9pm peak rate, which is not great since it misses a lot of peak generation time plus it is going to force peak rates after sunset. Anyone who has solar now and is on something other than E-6 or EV-A should switch to E-6 soon so they can stay on E-6 until January 1st, 2023.

Edit: the NEM 2.0 Grandfathering under NEM 2.0 rules will be for 20 years from Permission to Operate, but the next rules will not be referred to as NEM 3.0 as previously contemplated but NEM 2.1, totally ruining the naming scheme.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Whats a "Competition Transition Charge"?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
A CTC is:

quote:

A charge added to a customer's electrical bill which is intended to help an electric utility pay down stranded costs incurred as a result of transition from a regulated market to a deregulated one. This charge is intended to be a temporary levy which will be discontinued once a regulating authority determines that the affected utility has recovered enough of its stranded costs.

Transition charges are typically based on actual energy use rather than applied as a flat rate to all customers, and will be charged by all energy suppliers in a competitive marketplace as a means of insuring that new competitors who do not have stranded costs to recover do not gain an unfair advantage in the marketplace.

These are costs passed onto customers which are intended to be used for long-term investments with low initial return on investment. Privately owned companies are bad at making 10-20+ year long-term investments since performance of stocks is typically done quarterly, so when things were deregulated in 1996, the utility companies were told they will have a separate non-bypassable charge which is to be used on various investments for long-term infrastructural improvements that are not attractive investments. They are forced to do those investments and customers are forced to pay more money to pay for those investments, with the idea that energy prices overall will go down because there was more competition and more profit-motivation when they were deregulated. I imagine you can guess how much energy prices went down when things were deregulated and there was a profit motive.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Just out of curiosity, is anyone going to the California State Democratic Convention in San Jose and the end of the month?

If so, is there any idea on who the speakers are going to be?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

ChickenRiceNPeas posted:

Just out of curiosity, is anyone going to the California State Democratic Convention in San Jose and the end of the month?

If so, is there any idea on who the speakers are going to be?

I will be going with my college Democrats. No idea who the speakers will be.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In honor of a Santa Clara Super Bowl, some small updates on various local issues...

A group of vaccination opponents have started an outdoor ad campaign targeted in part at people coming to visit California for the Super Bowl.

Mike Honda is losing the endorsement race to Ro Khanna this go around.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Yeah, Honda's catching heat from the Congressional Ethics Committee for maybe using his office staff for campaigning, which is why I imagine everybody's jumping on the Khanna bandwagon. And Ro's literally nothing but mouthpiece for SV tech company interests, so of course he's getting all the big donor bucks.

Also :lol: anti-vaxxers. Feel free to suck on our big, fat mandatory vaccination laws. Your children and society as a whole will be grateful.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

In other news, politicians will continue to claim that [insert terrible thing here] is the reason we need to break encryption, until they finally push something through that breaks encryption.

At least the hilarious level of influence the tech lobby has over California politics has a good shot at quashing this particular permutation of the current outcry.

Remember that dumb rear end speech Hillary made about how Bay Area tech companies could Disrupt ISIS?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

There is a planned faculty strike in April at CSU campuses if a pay increase for faculty isn't approved

Raising tuition, overpaid administration, blah blah. This is nothing new.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 11, 2016

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The fact that it's a faculty strike is pretty interesting. I didn't think their union was organized enough to pull something like that off. Good for them!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Porter Ranch gas leak finally got plugged.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The plans for high-speed rail recently reprioritized the San Jose leg (by 2025) over the previously prioritized Burbank leg (which had been expected by 2022)

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Khosla is still being a shitheel

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Silicon Valley's affordable housing of the future shall be in Fresno!

At this point it makes way more sense to build out the crappy Amtrak SJ - SAC Cap Corridor line (I ride every single week and it's no faster than it was in 1865, and in fact, probably slower and bumpier). If you are going to have to live in the central valley it might as well be Sac or Sac foothills. Thousands are making this trek every day and the train is ALWAYS crowded.

Doing that SJ-SAC upgrade was always hidden in the master plan for HSR but basically one of the most important parts.

gently caress Merced, Fresno, Bakersfield, etc - all those losers won't get out of their trucks anyway and basically don't like traveling anywhere.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

Silicon Valley's affordable housing of the future shall be in Fresno!

At this point it makes way more sense to build out the crappy Amtrak SJ - SAC Cap Corridor line (I ride every single week and it's no faster than it was in 1865, and in fact, probably slower and bumpier). If you are going to have to live in the central valley it might as well be Sac or Sac foothills. Thousands are making this trek every day and the train is ALWAYS crowded.

Doing that SJ-SAC upgrade was always hidden in the master plan for HSR but basically one of the most important parts.

gently caress Merced, Fresno, Bakersfield, etc - all those losers won't get out of their trucks anyway and basically don't like traveling anywhere.

Or build in the east bay. Or renovate the ACE line and dunbarton rail bridge.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yahoo's poo poo news functionality has already made that link worthless, so here's a permalink to a copy of the article on KRON:
http://kron4.com/2016/02/19/first-leg-of-high-speed-rail-in-california-to-connect-san-jose-and-bakersfield/

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Things I am learning at the State Democratic Convention:

-The Veterans Caucus is incredibly underrepresented compared to the Republican counterpart.

-North and South California do not care for one another.

Anyway, any goons also attending?

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Was the plan always a 3 hour trip between the two? So half the time to drive it?

By 2030 self driving cars will render the time savings hard to justify over letting your car do the work. :can:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boot and Rally posted:

Was the plan always a 3 hour trip between the two? So half the time to drive it?

By 2030 self driving cars will render the time savings hard to justify over letting your car do the work. :can:

That's 3 hours from LA to San Francisco.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

That's 3 hours from LA to San Francisco.

I know.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Forceholy posted:

Things I am learning at the State Democratic Convention:

-The Veterans Caucus is incredibly underrepresented compared to the Republican counterpart.

-North and South California do not care for one another.

Anyway, any goons also attending?

I attended, and got a sense of the North/South split as well. I volunteered for a open board position on one of the caucuses and I think they were somewhat unpleasantly surprised when they heard I was from SoCal.

Did you get in to see Biden?

This was my first convention as a delegate and I had no idea how convoluted the endorsement process could be. I was amazed at how the floor almost pulled Daniel Parra's endorsement in the CD21 race. Does anyone know what the justification is for letting the whole floor vote on the endorsements in one district?

Improper Umlaut fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 29, 2016

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

ChickenRiceNPeas posted:

I attended, and got a sense of the North/South split as well. I volunteered for a open board position on one of the caucuses and I think they were somewhat unpleasantly surprised when they heard I was from SoCal.

Did you get in to see Biden?

This was my first convention as a delegate and I had no idea how convoluted the endorsement process could be. I was amazed at how the floor almost pulled Daniel Parra's endorsement in the CD21 race. Does anyone know what the justification is for letting the whole floor vote on the endorsements in one district?

Yeah, he was awesome. One protester showed up to with a sign that stated that cell phones cause cancer and Beau Biden died because of that. He was taken down immediately by Secret Service.

Also, Kamala Harris is pretty much a lock for senator and I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a cabinet position in a Democratic White House years from now.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Wonks, how do I get more effectively engaged in politics? I still plan on smashing windows and getting arrested recreationaly but I may as well also channel it in a slightly more productive way.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Soooo...

This is a thing that is happening:

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/2/29/1493107/--There-is-a-Major-Carbon-Monoxide-Explosion-on-the-West-Coast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMcdzYKaJhE

quote:

A region stretching from British Columbia, through Washington and Oregon, and on over most of California experienced CO readings ranging from about 5,000 parts per billion over the mountains of Southwestern Canada to as high as 40,000 parts per billion over Southern California. Very high peak readings appear to have occurred from Northern California near Eureka and the southern edge of the Cascadia Subduction Zone and along a line south and eastward over much of Central California to an extreme peak zone just north and west of Los Angeles near Palmdale along the San Andreas Fault Line.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Forceholy posted:

Yeah, he was awesome. One protester showed up to with a sign that stated that cell phones cause cancer and Beau Biden died because of that. He was taken down immediately by Secret Service.

Also, Kamala Harris is pretty much a lock for senator and I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a cabinet position in a Democratic White House years from now.

So that's what that first disruption was. Our district was seated towards the back of the room so it was hard to catch all the disruptions. I caught the TPP guy and the guy who yelled out about him running for president but couldn't understand that first guy.

I ended up voting for Kamala. I like Loretta but she kneecapped herself pretty badly at the last convention with the war cry thing.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

Wonks, how do I get more effectively engaged in politics? I still plan on smashing windows and getting arrested recreationaly but I may as well also channel it in a slightly more productive way.

Join your local Republican/Democratic club, I guarantee there is one is your city/valley/area. From there you will be exposed to local candidates running for office at all levels with the exception of high level national office. From there volunteer for some campaigns or local causes.

If you're a Democrat you can also participate on the state party level as a delegate. This doesn't require a lot of involvement on the club level but since those folks will have the power to make you a delegate (either through appointment or election) it helps to have a relationship with them. You could also volunteer for one of the national campaigns.

For more information on becoming a California State Democratic Party Delegate and going to state convention:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovL_RFnJ19o

If you have your own residence and are not embarrassed to have people over you can host house parties for candidates. These don't have to be big affairs. We've had two in the last year and they involved 10-15 guests and a couple of trays of prepackaged veggie trays.

Almost any campaign volunteering you do will involve one of three things, phone banking, neighborhood walking or social media sharing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If I see a media article saying "why isn't the media reporting on this" then I just stop reading and assume the whole thing is trash anyways.