Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

:siren: Bernie YES is skyrocketing, time to buy or dump your NOs depending on how you think Iowa's gonna fall.

Trump is now above .50 for the nom for the first time ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Thank christ I dropped my Iowa cruz YES shares after that latest CNN poll

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
I'm already waiting for Iowa to drop a hammer on my account --- no more shares of anything with "Iowa" in the handle for me. Good tip though.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

RNOM is a complete clusterfuck right now. Trump above .50 and Rubio is at .26. Cruz NO at .85 looks like free money.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I sold my 300 Cruz NO for a 10c gain (per share), literally in the 5 minutes before the CNN/ORC poll showing Cruz down 11.

Mah hart, mha sole.

pathetic little tramp has issued a correction as of 22:27 on Jan 21, 2016

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I'm gonna sell my hillary iowa shares and just buy a ton of random poo poo!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

I sold my 300 Cruz NO for a 10c gain (per share), literally in the 5 minutes before the CNN/ORC poll showing Cruz down 11.

Mah hart, mha sole.

Same, except several hours. Held many of those shares for months. :negative:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

TRUMP.RNOM16 YES is currently at .58

lord have mercy

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

nachos posted:

Thank christ I dropped my Iowa cruz YES shares after that latest CNN poll
I'm thinking this may be a better strategy.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
remember you probably should buy RNOM.TRUMP NO because he is going to win.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Stereotype posted:

remember you probably should buy RNOM.TRUMP NO because he is going to win.

Uhhh

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

thethreeman posted:

so, can anyone tell me how Nevada votes? If Trump wins IA, he also wins NH and SC, so why is TRUMP.SWEEP4 YES only 25c, while IACAUCUS16.GOP Trump 39c?

:eyepop: made a good return on this and debating exiting, but I see no reason to exit any trump bets before the palin/branstad effects start hitting polls. Even the CNN poll, across 5 days, only included 1 day post-Palin...

I feel like immediately pre-results is the best time to get out of all trump bets

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

TrumpSweep (first 4 states) is approaching 50c, lord have mercy.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Mah hart, mha sole.
Why would you would sell 'no' shares in a linked market unless you're downsizing 'no's across all candidates in the market? Doesn't it cost money? Unless you made like 2x or more profit from the initial price of the 'no'.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fuschia tude posted:

Why would you would sell 'no' shares in a linked market unless you're downsizing 'no's across all candidates in the market? Doesn't it cost money? Unless you made like 2x or more profit from the initial price of the 'no'.

Why wouldn’t you? If you’re just betting on one candidate, there’s no reason not to sell.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

nachos posted:

TRUMP.RNOM16 YES is currently at .58

lord have mercy

I sold all mine at .30

I'm bad at this!!!1

I'm down 40 bucks!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fuschia tude posted:

Locks in profits in the longer term even if it "costs" you cash on hand to do so (assuming you have a bunch of other noes in the market).

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Platystemon posted:

Why wouldn’t you? If you’re just betting on one candidate, there’s no reason not to sell.

True, if you only have shares in one candidate, that makes sense.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Give me one Jim Gilmore market. Just one, that's all I'm asking.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is it $850 per market or $850 per contract?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Arkane posted:

Is it $850 per market or $850 per contract?

Contract. I'm maxed on a couple of the individual contracts in the "Next Republican to Drop" market.

In this way you can effectively bet $1700 on various races, such as Sanders vs. Hillary, as there is generally an individual Yes/No contract for each of them.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

Yeah I don't go in much for the spreading NOs around thing. I just bought a bunch of Cruz NO when they were cheap and I think he's pretty much at his ceiling until Feb 1 or some disastrous polls come out (and I don't think any more disastrous ones are coming, the rest will be within 3 of Trump).

I'm actually hoping Cruz pulls off Iowa now because my Trump Sweep NO is hurtin bad.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Vox Nihili posted:

I think it could easily be one or the other, so I don't plan to hold any shares on either of them (just noes on a bunch of other candidates).
http://twitter.com/RickSantorum/status/690579068086042624/photo/1
Get ready to witness the self-depreciating final stand.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Peachstapler posted:

http://twitter.com/RickSantorum/status/690579068086042624/photo/1
Get ready to witness the self-depreciating final stand.

oh rick

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
I wonder if Christie cancelling his campaign in NH to go home to NJ could count for Dropout?

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

I wonder if Christie cancelling his campaign in NH to go home to NJ could count for Dropout?
Kind of a stretch there. He's not suspending the campaign he's just cancelling Friday and Saturday's events because of a storm that's affecting his constituency.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
New Monmouth/Fulmer poll has Clinton up by 9 in Iowa. That CNN/ORC poll looks like an outlier to me.

Don't gently caress this up for me Hilldawg

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

User Error posted:

New Monmouth/Fulmer poll has Clinton up by 9 in Iowa. That CNN/ORC poll looks like an outlier to me.

Don't gently caress this up for me Hilldawg

It really is (an outlier). They're estimating a HUMONGOUS caucus turnout, like 3x what it was in 2012.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm staying away from anything involving Iowa and Democrats. Republicans on the other hand...

COME ON CRUZ YOU BEAUTIFUL BASTARD :retrogames::rolldice:

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

It really is (an outlier). They're estimating a HUMONGOUS caucus turnout, like 3x what it was in 2012.

Emerson also has Clinton up by 9. I'm still not putting more money on it though, I decided to put it into Trump NH to be safer.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

So that's why I was able to buy Christie NO for 91.

He has about a zero percent chance of dropping out before NH and Huck has already said he would if he doesn't finish in the top 3 in Iowa. Which is close to 100%. So zero percent Christie drops out before Huck.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Zeta Taskforce posted:

So that's why I was able to buy Christie NO for 91.

He has about a zero percent chance of dropping out before NH and Huck has already said he would if he doesn't finish in the top 3 in Iowa. Which is close to 100%. So zero percent Christie drops out before Huck.

The trick is you don't need to actually drop out, you just need to announce your campaign is suspended and leave it that way for 5 days according to the rules.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This is probably news to no one, but the conventional wisdom is that Sanders' ground game isn't as good as Obama's, but ... it's still pretty good. Iowa is weird in that the caucuses are dominated by interest groups organized by turnout operations. So I see it as a toss-up.

Which is why I'm skeptical about Trump. Trumpstaffel are skyrocketing the price now. But the reporting I've read on the Cruz ground game is that they're fanatical and everywhere, and Trump is basically doing nothing.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

This is probably news to no one, but the conventional wisdom is that Sanders' ground game isn't as good as Obama's, but ... it's still pretty good. Iowa is weird in that the caucuses are dominated by interest groups organized by turnout operations. So I see it as a toss-up.

Which is why I'm skeptical about Trump. Trumpstaffel are skyrocketing the price now. But the reporting I've read on the Cruz ground game is that they're fanatical and everywhere, and Trump is basically doing nothing.

I thought Trump had the second best ground game?

My view is Hillary v Bernie in Iowa is a toss-up, but so is Cruz v Trump. If you can get NOs on any of those 4 for 0.40ish or less, it's a good buy.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

A Time To Chill posted:

I thought Trump had the second best ground game?

My view is Hillary v Bernie in Iowa is a toss-up, but so is Cruz v Trump. If you can get NOs on any of those 4 for 0.40ish or less, it's a good buy.
Slightly old but:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/14/us/politics/donald-trumps-iowa-ground-game-seems-to-be-missing-a-coach.html

quote:

Mr. Trump, who Iowa polls show is neck-and-neck with Senator Ted Cruz of Texas, may well win the caucuses, now less than three weeks away. But if he does, it will probably be in spite of his organizing team, which after months of scattershot efforts led by a paid staff of more than a dozen people, still seems amateurish and halting, committing basic organizing errors.

[...]

Seven volunteers worked the phones at the Iowa headquarters of Senator Marco Rubio of Florida in a Des Moines suburb one night last week. At the state headquarters of Mr. Cruz, there were 24 volunteers in a room beneath a sign proclaiming a daily goal of making 6,000 calls. The Trump state headquarters in West Des Moines were largely deserted.
I may well but wrong but it's just a gut feeling.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 20:42 on Jan 22, 2016

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Hmm that is worrisome. I really wanna keep my 300 Cruz NO shares at an average of 0.38 and let it ride. But now I'm worried I should sell. Ugh gambling is hard.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

A Time To Chill posted:

Hmm that is worrisome. I really wanna keep my 300 Cruz NO shares at an average of 0.38 and let it ride. But now I'm worried I should sell. Ugh gambling is hard.
Tell me about it. My feeling is to not do anything until right before the voting, since the numbers on the site are largely driven by right-wing media hype anyways. Like *don't* bet against Trump in the short term but be skeptical of his actual chances.

But my advice might be bad.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 21:15 on Jan 22, 2016

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I am still building a position betting that Sanders does not have the biggest bump after the ABC debate. From what I can tell, exactly one poll has come out that has Clinton +1 and Sanders -1.3. With this actual data point and Hillary making sharper attacks, I don't know why this is still at 40. Plus it will pay out in just 9 days

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I am still building a position betting that Sanders does not have the biggest bump after the ABC debate. From what I can tell, exactly one poll has come out that has Clinton +1 and Sanders -1.3. With this actual data point and Hillary making sharper attacks, I don't know why this is still at 40. Plus it will pay out in just 9 days

Bernie markets are irrational. A couple weeks ago, him not winning the general election was valued at only 72¢.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
My new strat is just gonna be to put out buy orders at 1 cent for 500 shares or something on highly unlikely, long term polls and just hope that one of them flips randomly and then just walk away with the profit before it can end or flip again

Someone tell me why this is a bad idea

and yes i know i just described buy low sell high

Gibberish has issued a correction as of 22:03 on Jan 22, 2016

• Locked thread