Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Read it, what do you wanna know

it owns btw

when he quotes ruskin about composition being 'the arrangement of unequal things' a few times, i assumed he also refers to everything else in the book itself being overshadowed by the robbery & murders yet paying as much page-space to counting birds and different types of houses on the street... unequal things that are arranged together in this way by the narrator in his life story not to let himself be dragged down by these two events that hosed up his sister who couldn't get away from them in her own life story.

yet, I as a reader could only really appreciate it all in retrospect, after reading the book (and that to me was the best part of 'canada' - looking back at the way it was built), as the actual reading of these 'other' parts can be dull at times - by necessity and intent.

basically, i was wondering what do you think about the structure w/r/t the rusking quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm imagining someone pulling out 50 bad sentences from The Recognitions and the decades-long grudge that Gaddis would bear.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Burning Rain posted:

when he quotes ruskin about composition being 'the arrangement of unequal things' a few times, i assumed he also refers to everything else in the book itself being overshadowed by the robbery & murders yet paying as much page-space to counting birds and different types of houses on the street... unequal things that are arranged together in this way by the narrator in his life story not to let himself be dragged down by these two events that hosed up his sister who couldn't get away from them in her own life story.

yet, I as a reader could only really appreciate it all in retrospect, after reading the book (and that to me was the best part of 'canada' - looking back at the way it was built), as the actual reading of these 'other' parts can be dull at times - by necessity and intent.

basically, i was wondering what do you think about the structure w/r/t the rusking quote.

Honestly I didn't remember myself feeling particularly bored by the middle parts but I also read it three years ago so its a bit fuzzy. You're dead on though about the deliberate bookending of the novel with events of traumatic violence though.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm imagining someone pulling out 50 bad sentences from The Recognitions and the decades-long grudge that Gaddis would bear.

I am just amused the dude claimed he had a list of 50 bad sentences in a 900 page book and couldn't actually find 50

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I'm never going to read City of Fire. That's a really easy promise to make

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Ras Het posted:

man commits to not reading YA fiction series http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6400940-city-of-fire :grin:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Ras Het posted:

I feel like I have trouble just staying in the 20th century with the spiderweb of reference and allusion that directs my usual reading always pulling me further into the past. Reading A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man last fall set me back to Aquinas, and At Swim-Two-Birds has me on a Celtic folklore bent. e: Without McCarthy and Atwood (probably forgetting a couple) I'd never touch my own lifespan.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 21, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'm finally reading the copy of Dead Souls that has been sitting on my shelf for like 5 years and I love how there's some massively sweeping generalization about Russia / its people on literally every single page. Gogol owns.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm finally reading the copy of Dead Souls that has been sitting on my shelf for like 5 years and I love how there's some massively sweeping generalization about Russia / its people on literally every single page. Gogol owns.

Wait till you get to Artorias

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I bought the first Ferrante book finally b/c gently caress my library's 40-deep queue for it

Also got the new Junji Ito horror collection because, you know, goon

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

peanut- posted:

http://www.theawl.com/2016/01/the-50-most-unacceptable-sentences-in-city-on-fire-in-order

I was planning to read City on Fire next but this is making me think it's bad, is it bad?

this books sounds real bad but 44 is cool because eggs are cool.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Popular Human posted:

I bought the first Ferrante book finally b/c gently caress my library's 40-deep queue for it

Its intense. I decided to take a City on Fire break halfway through the second one because I need something a little lighter to cleanse the pallet.

Its four novels of unyielding realist despair

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

He burned the sequel in a fire the fucker

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Popular Human posted:

Junji Ito's good

Best horror writer in the world

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Junji Ito's good

Best horror writer in the world

did he write that one about this is my hole it was made for me

because that one wins

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

The third part.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

because that one wins

Yes he did. He also wrote a manga about getting a cat and it looks and is written like a Junji Ito story but without any horror

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

because that one wins

yep. He's not at all in the wheelhouse of this thread, but he's fuckin' great

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Popular Human posted:

yep. He's not at all in the wheelhouse of this thread, but he's fuckin' great

10/10 better than (H) Murakami

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I was once at a Q and A with Harvey Pekar and he got really mad when someone asked him if he ever read Uzumaki

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

Don't you know? Manuscripts don't burn.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

gently caress Haruki, give Ryu a nobel prize

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Smoking Crow posted:

gently caress Haruki, give Ryu a nobel prize

I've never read any of his stuff other than In The Miso Soup - that book was v. good tho

Which of his other books are best?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Popular Human posted:

I've never read any of his stuff other than In The Miso Soup - that book was v. good tho

Which of his other books are best?

Coin Locker Babies and Almost Transparent Blue are good, Audition is kind of boring

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
nero wolfe is initially described in Rex Stout's character notes as weighing 272 pounds (123 kg), but his weight fluctuates somewhat throughout the course of the series (usually described as in a fraction of a ton, e.g. "his eighth of a ton bulk."

while self-reported american weight data is largely unreliable before 1960, the trend is roughly log-linear (average adult male weight of ~165 lb in 1960, versus ~195 lb in 2010). If his debut in Fer-de-Lance is meant to be contemporary with the novel's publication in 1934 (and later references to baseball players, prohibition, and world events do not contradict this impression), then we can conclude that a modern day Nero Wolfe ought to debut at ~320 lbs (145 kg).

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
let me know if you have any further questions about fat detectives, although i am still reading montalbano (who is sicilian and whose books frequently include recipes, so i will just somewhat uncharitably assume is fat).

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its four novels of unyielding realist despair

Which book are you on?

edit: oh, halfway through the second. If you think that's bad you're in for one hell of a ride.

Flattened Spoon fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 22, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tree Goat posted:

let me know if you have any further questions about fat detectives, although i am still reading montalbano (who is sicilian and whose books frequently include recipes, so i will just somewhat uncharitably assume is fat).

i read one of those montalbano books and I did not get the impression he is fat, though maybe slightly stocky like many sicilians. sure he eats a lot but mostly fish and sea urchin and so on, it's not like he's eating cheetos and drinking big gulps

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Wait till you get to Artorias

He's a pretty tough boss, but I think some of the guys in Dark Souls II are harder.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Earwicker posted:

i read one of those montalbano books and I did not get the impression he is fat, though maybe slightly stocky like many sicilians. sure he eats a lot but mostly fish and sea urchin and so on, it's not like he's eating cheetos and drinking big gulps

certainly he is not fat in the televised version, but then again, who is?
i have yet to find textual evidence one way or the other, and would like to forestall talking about roland loving barthes yet again.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Please take this discussion to the detective fiction thread OR the obese protaganoist fiction thread.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

obese protaganoist fiction thread.

I want an obese protagonist thread, even though it would be filled to the brim with Game of Thrones and that one Mieville novel with the fat black scientist.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

About 50 pages into City on Fire now. Digging it so far. I like the characters and the overall connectedness of the story.

The style is definitely loose and rough. I feel like the guy who did that 50 sentence article missed the entire point of the prose. Its not meant to be elegant and controlled. Its meant to slapdash and unrefined. Its a book about 1970's New York for christsake. Its a very admirable how the prose is consistent with the vibe of the setting he is trying to create.

Flattened Spoon posted:

Which book are you on?

edit: oh, halfway through the second. If you think that's bad you're in for one hell of a ride.

Jesus christ what

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 22, 2016

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'm having a frustrating discussion with some folks on facebook about that very article. They're like THIS IS A BAD BOOK THESE LINES PROVE IT IS VERY BAD

and I'm trying to argue that some of those quotes might just be from the point of view of characters who themselves might not have the best attitudes or opinions, and not the author holding these points of view

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Also once I finish Moby Dick I think I'll start those Ferrante books, apparently my library system is full of people who don't want to read them and I got the first book a little while back.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Tree Goat posted:

after that read camilleri's inspiration - manuel vasquez montalbán who was a fat catalan crime writer whose books include lots of recipes.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Smoking Crow posted:

Coin Locker Babies and Almost Transparent Blue are good, Audition is kind of boring

counterpoint: i found almost transparent blue kind of boring, but i'd sort of gotten my fill of drug ennui books by then

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Burning Rain posted:

counterpoint: i found almost transparent blue kind of boring, but i'd sort of gotten my fill of drug ennui books by then

Have you read Coin Locker Babies? It's crazy. Hope you like meth and gay model sex

Gay model meth

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

Have you read Coin Locker Babies? It's crazy. Hope you like meth and gay model sex

Gay model meth

In the Miso Soup owns too. Ryu seems to really loving hate his own country and I love it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I knew No Country For Old Men wasn’t meant to be McCarthy’s best book but I’m finding it even more thin than expected so far. It really is just a decent thriller. Oh well, it’s good for what it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

WatermelonGun posted:

In the Miso Soup owns too. Ryu seems to really loving hate his own country and I love it.

I was checking it out and basically every book seems to be about japanese men being amoral horndogs and suffering horribly for it.

owns.