Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

Not nearly enough people are talking about this time bomb

Owners get sticker shock at any sort of fee increases and will vote everything down unless it’s a sub 3% increase. Developers are complicit in setting the initial fees way too low to make it easier to sell the units.

Owners have over extended themselves so much that they need to have super low monthly fees. It’s a bit of a scam in that early flippers will do all they can to keep fees low, then get out before the poo poo hits the fan.

The BC government needs to step in and regulate the amount of contingency funds that must be kept. Simply requiring a depreciation report to be made isn’t enough, because buildings get a depreciation report, then put it on the shelf and ignore it because it’s politically impossible to follow the report guidelines by increasing monthly fees.

Don't forget that many of the new condos have substandard workmanship due to the whole housing boom.

Even worse many of them have buyer grabbing gimmicks such as rooftop pools and wall of glass window which will require expensive repairs further down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Femtosecond posted:

Owners get sticker shock at any sort of fee increases and will vote everything down unless it’s a sub 3% increase. Developers are complicit in setting the initial fees way too low to make it easier to sell the units.

Owners have over extended themselves so much that they need to have super low monthly fees. It’s a bit of a scam in that early flippers will do all they can to keep fees low, then get out before the poo poo hits the fan.

The BC government needs to step in and regulate the amount of contingency funds that must be kept. Simply requiring a depreciation report to be made isn’t enough, because buildings get a depreciation report, then put it on the shelf and ignore it because it’s politically impossible to follow the report guidelines by increasing monthly fees.

This isn't just a new building problem. My strata was built in the 70's and the last year or two of AGM/SGMs you could feel the stress whenever the depreciation report is brought up. This is a gigantic problem that isn't going to get resolved until the province mandates a contingency %.

The one silver lining, and the thing that potentially poisons the entire thing, is that the depreciation reports seem to be a bit overkill. For instance, iirc we have a million dollar line item in our for complete replacement of the stucco. That is just not something that is going to happen here unless something quite bad occurred which makes the lack of contingency pointless.

This leads to the following observations:

1) The amount of under funding is probably not quite as bad as indicated, though that may be quibbling over how many bullets you have in your brain.

2) It becomes easy for dissenters to derail any increase due to how ridiculous the report appears.

Last time this came up in my strata, to follow the report we would have had to increase fees by 25% just this year. With similar increases for the next 4-5 years. Instead we opted to study the report further, and basically punted on it, largely due to that one line item.

I wish I could afford a SFH, mostly so I didn't need to rely on flippers and the fixed income olds to be responsible for my future maintenance.

:negative:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

quote:

Even worse many of them have buyer grabbing gimmicks such as rooftop pools and wall of glass window which will require expensive repairs further down the road.

I drove by the opening construction of this awhile ago and out of curiosity looked it up online. It's by no means the worst offender in terms of glass nightmares but just amused me for some reason. "These elegant edifices of glass have been designed to mirror the many moods of the lake and sky." Marketing people are sociopaths.

In 10 years their reserve fund will be nuked and the special assessments will start rolling.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

I, too, am glad our financial institutions have such wonderful acoustics.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Yup, exactly. At least in the future you will be able to tell if your condo will be a guaranteed gigantic money pit disaster or not by looking at the depreciation report and confirming that the strata has adopted fees based on one of the funding models in the report. I think it's going to end up in two pretty distinct condo markets, pricier ones that have their poo poo together versus a lower selling price but a $50-100k special assessment landing at any moment. Right now it's just ugly while individual stratas pick which way they're leaning on this one / paying for all the maintenance previous owners shirked over the years.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sund posted:

Yup, exactly. At least in the future you will be able to tell if your condo will be a guaranteed gigantic money pit disaster or not by looking at the depreciation report and confirming that the strata has adopted fees based on one of the funding models in the report. I think it's going to end up in two pretty distinct condo markets, pricier ones that have their poo poo together versus a lower selling price but a $50-100k special assessment landing at any moment. Right now it's just ugly while individual stratas pick which way they're leaning on this one / paying for all the maintenance previous owners shirked over the years.

I like how everything with canadian bubble is based around the concept, I sure hope future people can pay everything off.

Had a good laugh reading some earlier posts itt how just the wall of glass gimmick for condos will probably cost people 10-15k CAD in the near future since they have more problems and higher failure rates.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

In 10 years their reserve fund will be nuked and the special assessments will start rolling.

At which point you swoop in and establish yourself as a yuppie slumlord.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also, if your condo strata fee needs money to do some sort of special assessment thing, you don't actually need to pay for it until you sell your condo.

A woman my mom works with has a condo and they need to get the roof re-done or something I can't remember exactly what, but everyone had to pay $10k to get it done. Except that a bunch of the old people living there who didn't have 10k decided to defer the payment until they sold the property and use their profits from that to pay for it, which is apparently totally legal. Except the strata people didn't have enough money in their account to pay for the roof being fixed upfront, so they don't get to have their new roof done at all.

Also $300 for strata fees being high is amazing to me. At my old place they were in the $500-$800 range, and I'm pretty sure in this complex they're around $500 and this is a complex with an unheated garage and no hallways or common areas (it's like an apartment building but all the apartments lead directly to the outside)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Wait till those unmaintained big glass facades start falling down onto the streets below :slayer:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Wait till those unmaintained big glass facades start falling down onto the streets below :slayer:

This happens nearly weekly in Toronto.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Femtosecond posted:

Franks Happy Place posted:

There is not a single condo in Greater Vancouver whose strata has been properly assessing future expenses and building a fund to match. If you don't believe me, all you need to do is look at why the government changed the rules for mandatory depreciation reports to force them to confront the matter. And of course they can still ignore those reports with a 3/4ths vote, so nothing has changed. If you want to count on your piddly $300 a month covering something like a new roof when all it can do is barely keep up with elevator servicing and the gardener and somebody to hose out the parkade once a year, you're loving delusional.

-Boilers go, on average, every 15-20 years, at a 90% confidence interval (so figure yours could easily go at the ten-year mark)
-Same range for roofs.
-Envelopes fail no later than around the 20-year mark.

Etc. etc.

This is not a new problem, unfortunately. Everyone has known this is a huge issue and has known for a long, long time. Government and the real estate industry are just punting on the matter out of sheer self-interest and shortsighted greed, and I doubt that changes before the bubble pops.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Condo owners are so cheap it's unreal. Some plants died in my building because, shocking news: plants are alive, have a limited lifespan and can die of disease. Strata council got sticker shock at the price of landscaping and started musing about replacing everything with rocks. Who the hell wants to have a patio area with planters full of rocks?

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

The guy drinking a beer not mowing the lawn

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Even if they don't fall down they have a shorter time to failure vs older windows plus sky high replacement costs.

It's another lovely gimmick gullible buyers like a roof pool that will lead to big strata fees in the future.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

etalian posted:

Even if they don't fall down they have a shorter time to failure vs older windows plus sky high replacement costs.

It's another lovely gimmick gullible buyers like a roof pool that will lead to big strata fees in the future.

They spend the strata fees plastering every downtown SkyTrain station with ads for their Glass Bottomed Pool 200ft in the Sky~

Though I would laugh at the news of a giant glass pool dropping onto Cambie street, causing chaos.

less than three fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 21, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

ð’» 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®ð’ ð’¾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Femtosecond posted:

My building has voted against doing the depreciation report every year since it was made mandatory. This doesn't seem legal but that's what's happening.

We've actually been doing major repairs too. Still need at least a new roof though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Reverse Centaur posted:

My building has voted against doing the depreciation report every year since it was made mandatory. This doesn't seem legal but that's what's happening.

We've actually been doing major repairs too. Still need at least a new roof though.

I hope your unit has a for sale sign on it. At this point if you aren't looking for a way off that sinking ship I highly suggest you start.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvilJoven posted:

I hope your unit has a for sale sign on it. At this point if you aren't looking for a way off that sinking ship I highly suggest you start.

They are all like that, so there is little chance of a better situation.

I want to get out of my unit too, but Vancouver's insanity has already locked me here for ten years longer than I anticipated.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

How are you locked? Sell?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Sell. Then rent. Hell, sell your condo to an investor and then rent from them.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Condo for sale! Great investment opportunity! I can even find a tenant for you (for a small finders fee)!

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mantle posted:

How are you locked? Sell?

Haha, it must be nice to be in complete rational control of your housing situation. Dropping my potentially poorly maintained townhouse that I have 1/100 say over, for a probably pooly maintained townhouse with no say over it is hardly an improvement. (Our maintenance situation isn't as bad as it could be, but it could be better.)

Also I don't feel like getting a divorce over it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Being on the same page about finances is about as important if not more important that thoughts on children, or religion, or what ever other major deal breakers people have. So many people don't talk about it though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
As someone who is literally sitting in a bank right now listening to a guy talking to my wife about our mortgage application approval I know what it's like to sometimes make a less than optimal decision to make the better half happy.

At least the house were probably going to buy isn't terribly overpriced. Under 200K for a place with a big rear end basement with 7' ceilings.

:sigh:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

200k for a house? You're golden.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah if I could buy a house for 200k I definitely would.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

HookShot posted:

Yeah if I could buy a house for 200k I definitely would.

I like how this thread is so against home ownership, and then the minute someone points out a place that isn't in the midst of a horrible housing bubble, all the negatives everyone's listed seem to evaporate as if by magic! It's almost like the main problem is the housing bubbles themselves, not ownership...

EDIT: Just to be clear, I agree that home ownership is often a good choice in a market where houses are fairly priced. I just find it hilarious that no one brings up the maintenance costs, lack of liquidity and/or flexibility, finance charges, etc. as if those are only present in overheated markets.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

EvilJoven posted:

As someone who is literally sitting in a bank right now listening to a guy talking to my wife about our mortgage application approval I know what it's like to sometimes make a less than optimal decision to make the better half happy.

At least the house were probably going to buy isn't terribly overpriced. Under 200K for a place with a big rear end basement with 7' ceilings.

:sigh:

You probably should be paying more attention to the conversation instead of posting on Something Awful while you and your partner are in the middle of making a major financial decision. :shrug:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Well, MY WIFE and I bought our house for 210K about 8 years ago, so just before the last crash, have the mortgage down to 106K. I couldn't rent anything near as nice as what I got for near the mortgage, but not including the bills. But I don't look at it as an investment, I look at it as a place to live.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

I like how this thread is so against home ownership, and then the minute someone points out a place that isn't in the midst of a horrible housing bubble, all the negatives everyone's listed seem to evaporate as if by magic! It's almost like the main problem is the housing bubbles themselves, not ownership...

EDIT: Just to be clear, I agree that home ownership is often a good choice in a market where houses are fairly priced. I just find it hilarious that no one brings up the maintenance costs, lack of liquidity and/or flexibility, finance charges, etc. as if those are only present in overheated markets.

Well it's more that at 200k I can afford to pay for the mortgage and all those extra costs, without having to go through the hassles of renting, which do exist, in a town where I want to settle for good.

In an overheated market those costs still exist, but they take the cost of ownership way, way past anything remotely reasonable. I could easily afford a mortgage payment here right now. It the extras that take it out of my price range (for anything I'd actually want to buy, anyway).

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

PT6A posted:

Those negatives are almost always brought up in the context of someone comparing the monthly payments between a mortgage and a rental and using the similarity of the two to justify buying a place (same in the BFC house buying thread). Someone discounting those negatives during a historically regular housing market are being financially stupid. The bubble exacerbates the problem by causing people to think other stupid thoughts like "I'll be priced out!" and it also stretches people's budgets for buying to the point where wishful stupidity about the costs of ownership become more appealing, but the bubble is not the root cause, ordinary ignorance and stupidity are.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
In that case, we can sum this thread up as: it's stupid to buy an overpriced asset.

Let's pack 'er up, guys! It's been a good run.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

ð’» 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®ð’ ð’¾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

EvilJoven posted:

Just like you I have to consider my wife's feelings. She was offered an amazing job while applying for New Zealand citizenship... we were so close to getting out. :( Everything rebounded for her while my life has gone to poo poo. My health and career have fallen apart, I'm looking at lower pay and a long commute across Burrard inlet again, and I would love to get out of this city/country.

Also I just had a discussion with my mom where she compared my view on foreign real estate "investment" to Trump's views on Mexicans and ISIS's views on everyone not ISIS. I guess becoming a multi-millionaire thanks to them makes it easy to throw around racism accusations at those of us who can no longer get by.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SpannerX posted:

Well, MY WIFE and I bought our house for 210K about 8 years ago, so just before the last crash, have the mortgage down to 106K. I couldn't rent anything near as nice as what I got for near the mortgage, but not including the bills. But I don't look at it as an investment, I look at it as a place to live.

The most fundamental thing to look for rent vs buy in monthly cost.

Due to the housing craze people are getting condos, even though the end month cost with all the various extras such as strata fee is $1000-$2000 above renting.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

PT6A posted:

In that case, we can sum this thread up as: it's stupid to buy an overpriced asset.

Let's pack 'er up, guys! It's been a good run.

Now if only we could spread this same message of love to the rest of the country....

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
2 hours till C.I returns :getin:

quote:

Budweiser ignores Richmond’s Chinese-sign standards

Richmond Councillor Chak Au is upset that a major beer corporation, Budweiser, has disregarded the city’s standards regarding Chinese-language signs.

Au sent me a photo of the large Budweiser beer sign on a Translink bus stop directly outside Richmond city hall.

The Chinese language dominates the Budweiser sign, despite Richmond city staff being told to advise all businesses in the city that all signs should include at least 50 per cent English.

“How many times we have advised businesses and advertising agencies not to do this and we still have this ad right in front of City Hall!,” Chak Au said in an email.

“The point I am trying to make is that sometimes it is not the Chinese themselves who create the problem.”

The Budweiser ad promotes a package of beer meant for Chinese New Year, the year of the monkey, which begins later this month. Half of the 200,000 population of Richmond is ethnic Chinese.

The same red Budweiser beer ad was spotted on a Translink bus stop on Fourth Avenue at Collingwood in Vancouver late Tuesday.

However, Au reported late Tuesday that the Budweiser ad on the bus stop outside Richmond city hall, about which he complained to city staff, was taken down some time in the middle of Tuesday.

Au is disappointed with Translink, which is responsible for Metro Vancouver transit. Many have criticized the B.C. Crown corporation for frequently permitting Chinese-only signs on its buses.

“I wish they could have applied greater sensitivity on this issue. I don’t believe the Chinese community will have any objections if TransLink requires English to be more prominent in signs or commercial ads in its territory.”

After years of debate and citizen activism, Richmond council decided late last year to hire a staff member to visit businesses and advise them to voluntarily make sure all signs are at least 50-per-cent English.

Au was one of the earliest political proponents of including 50-per cent English in all signs.

Richmond city council is also preparing to combat a spate of temporary Chinese-only signs, which are in many ways a bigger issue than the permanent signs that need to be approved by city staff.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2016/01/19/budweiser-ignores-richmonds-chinese-sign-standard/

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

#AnglophonieSoFragile

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.biv.com/article/2016/1/vancouver-needs-grow-taller-towers-developer/

quote:

Vancouver needs to “grow up,” he told an Urban Development Institute luncheon January 21.

“Grouse Mountain is 4,000 feet high and our Burrard Place, which is the third-tallest building in the city, 550 feet tall. Why should we ever worry that tall buildings could dominate our physical environment? Let’s finally let go of our bucolic fishing-village past and embrace the reality of a city that we have become in the eyes of the world.”

Guys, Vancouver is world class

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Honestly, after living in Montreal for years and putting up with their bullshit, I want anyone who advocates for "50% Any Language" laws to be publicly whipped and then launched into the sun.

It's a lovely idea when Quebecers do it, and it's an equally lovely idea when everyone else does it. Don't like the sign? Don't look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Stalker

And so it begins