Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

david mammoth posted:

Sorry if you've covered this before, but how do you like the Reface? I've developed a severe FM itch. I know it's only 4-op but some of the sounds I've heard from it are pretty impressive.

Its strengths lie in its form factor, not its synthesis engine. I like it because it's portable and battery powered.

The architecture employed is weak. 4-operator isn't the whole story. Feedback is limited to self-feedback, there's only 1 LFO, you can't move the breakpoint, no mod wheel support, the envelope display lies (displays constant time, actually is constant rate), you can't copy envelopes, no unison mode, can't modulate feedback levels.

That said it does FM, which immediately imparts certain sonic qualities, and for that, it's fine. Farty Sega Genesis SFX, harmonically evolving FM sweeps, all manner of struck and plucked instruments: it does them all just fine.

The FX chain livens it up, and the stereo speakers sound okay for something portable. Not quite as loud as the SK-1, with some audible compression and distortion of bass at mid to higher volumes.

It does some other tricks not available to the DX7, for instance: you can make a polyphonic pad with 4 detuned oscillators of saw, square, or anything in between. Built-in distortion (as featured on Wobble Bass preset) can take the "FM-ey" edge off of sweeps.

Would I recommend it? Only if you can't use a VST to scratch your itch and you want a mini-key synth. Then again, Volca FM. Although I'm lollin hard imagining a Korg manual explaining FM synthesis and how to program the unit.

vvv So many questions :allears:

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Startyde posted:

:10bux: says the korg will eat DX sysex but the SY100montage won't.

Just had it confirmed from the show floor. Korg Volca FM will be 6op 3voice DX7 in a little box. Holy poo poo.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

MrLonghair posted:

Just had it confirmed from the show floor. Korg Volca FM will be 6op 3voice DX7 in a little box. Holy poo poo.

shiiiiit

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

MrLonghair posted:

korg, goat of all goats

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ha-ha, all parameters available through menu diving on a 7 segment display, I love it!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Well I'm loving sold.

I've always loved FM for bass and industrial sounds and this thing would be perfect for that. Hopefully they'll release enough sysex and midi info on it so a solid editor can be built because god drat.

The strange part is that once it comes out I'll only have 2 volcas, and none of the analog ones.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't he day it was sysex compatible? There are a ton of resources for the DX7 already.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

sliderule posted:

Didn't he day it was sysex compatible? There are a ton of resources for the DX7 already.

Looks like it by the plaque. Chorus too! I'm hype as hell.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
This is a real minor thing, but a really good idea, that will be overshadowed by a lot of amazing stuff this year:
https://www.facebook.com/MAudioConnection/posts/10153211936102391:0

All interfaces should have usb hubs since almost everything uses usb in some form these days. Cable and power management is getting to be a real pain in the rear end and this would help.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MrLonghair posted:

This is my fave NAMM year in like at least five years, because I just caught the Arturia MatrixBrute http://audionewsroom.net/2016/01/arturia-matrixbrute-analog-synthesizer-modular-without-the-patching.html

e: Waldorf Kn37 with the FATAR TP9, oh poo poo at that too

e: KORG VOLCA FM OH MY poo poo
Holy hell, this looks like it does everything :eyepop:

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Had to put away dx-11 to make room for minilogue, would flip volca bass for that in a second. FM to analog ratio maintained.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Agh my wallet. I think I just added about four synths to my wishlist.

Which admittedly is chock full of expensive late model stuff that I wasn't going to buy anytime soon anyway.

And I need to spend more time with what I have.

I hate NAMM. Hail Satan.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

good jovi posted:

Have you seen some definitive info on that? I saw someone mentioned that in the MW eurorack NAMM thread, but it seemed a little hand-wavey.

More info here http://learningmodular.com/namm-2016-day-1/

While I was there, I talked to Danjel about his 1U tile modules, and why he went away from the format others had been creating to date for tiles. He explained that once you included issues like room for a lip in the rack rails, the system others had been following to date didn’t fit cleanly in a true 1U space, causing some issues for racking. He also made what he felt were other design enhancements in power connection etc., and has offered to share all of his specs with other manufacturers in hopes of establishing a better “standard” before 1U tiles become too big of a market segment to change.

Guess I'm getting screwed by a format war then. Wonderful.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Hey how about we get some loving power connectors that don't run a real risk of frying the goddamn modules every time we plug them in

thx

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Sexy Randal posted:

Can the sequencer in the Beatstep Pro hold notes? Like if I wanted to have a sequence that had notes of varying lengths, can it accommodate that?

Yes. It has the ability to tie notes, so you can make notes of arbitrary length.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

JamesKPolk posted:

Looks like it by the plaque. Chorus too! I'm hype as hell.

Yeah I didn't truly love my DX7 until I bought an FX unit.

With the Volca FM on the horizon and an SQ1 in my workflow, I'll be trading the Reface DX. I'd much rather sequence a volca than noodle on mini-keys.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
between the new Volca and A Brand loving New Analog Polysynth For Five Hundred Goddamn Dollars I can't see any way for Korg to not make ridiculous Scrooge McDuck piles of money this year.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

breaks posted:

Hey how about we get some loving power connectors that don't run a real risk of frying the goddamn modules every time we plug them in

thx

Gotta do something to keep the scrubs out :v:
I'm sad it seems like only monorocket puts asys connectors on their busboards still. Emailed the dude to try and buy some outright but he never responded.

PenguinBob posted:

between the new Volca and A Brand loving New Analog Polysynth For Five Hundred Goddamn Dollars I can't see any way for Korg to not make ridiculous Scrooge McDuck piles of money this year.

If the FM volca sells at all, personally I don't think they'll be able to keep up with demand, they'll have a 'real' FM keyboard before the next namm. It's not the 80s, I doubt they have any proverbial gentleman's agreement with Yamaha to avoid tanking the DX reface.

Tayter Swift posted:

It's not like pulp et al. is going to stop supporting the format.

Startyde fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 22, 2016

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well, according to SonicState, the MONTAGE will have 128 voice polyphony on the FM-X engine, which is actually surprising. I'll wait for them to port this engine to something else in 5-10 years, because there's no way I'm buying a flagship workstation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJK-dFaY7k8

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

david mammoth posted:

Sorry if you've covered this before, but how do you like the Reface? I've developed a severe FM itch. I know it's only 4-op but some of the sounds I've heard from it are pretty impressive.

I know you're probably looking for a 'real' synth, but you should seriously give FM8 a try if you haven't already. It's 8 op and sounds incredible imo.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Startyde posted:

If the FM volca sells at all, personally I don't think they'll be able to keep up with demand, they'll have a 'real' FM keyboard before the next namm. It's not the 80s, I doubt they have any proverbial gentleman's agreement with Yamaha to avoid tanking the DX reface.

This is probably the only thing holding me back from preordering one asap.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Tayter Swift posted:

More info here http://learningmodular.com/namm-2016-day-1/

While I was there, I talked to Danjel about his 1U tile modules, and why he went away from the format others had been creating to date for tiles. He explained that once you included issues like room for a lip in the rack rails, the system others had been following to date didn’t fit cleanly in a true 1U space, causing some issues for racking. He also made what he felt were other design enhancements in power connection etc., and has offered to share all of his specs with other manufacturers in hopes of establishing a better “standard” before 1U tiles become too big of a market segment to change.

OK, after reading through the Intellijel thread, it looks like their 1U panels are a bit smaller. So worst case scenario I fabricate a new, slightly larger panel. No biggie. I'm not really worried about what will or won't fit in the Intellijel case, since I'll never buy one.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

net work error posted:

This is probably the only thing holding me back from preordering one asap.

My wife has already said she will be pre-ordering it for me. :kimchi:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

quote:

Sequencer note conditions. Probability, modulo, and fill modes etc.
Pitch-tracking LFO modes for FM-type sounds (also new modulation destinations for linear pitch modulation)
Free-running LFO modes, disconnected from BPM.

A4/AK update. Rytm gets the same, save the pitch tracking LFO. I'm very excited about the new sequencer stuff.
Not mentioned, they also added a "fill" mode to the Page button that will temporarily change trigs/mutes live on the fly.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Minilogue is jaw-dropping at that price, I suppose aftertouch would have ruined that, but wow. I'll have to rethink my Bass Station II plans, Korg are going to destroy everyone.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Played with one of those ROLI keyboards today. It was squishy like a gel-mousepad wrist rest thing. Totally weird to try to play anything on it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I don't know how they stay in business, they seem pretty niche.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Laserjet 4P posted:

they've got their own office chef(!) so they must be raking it in

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

magiccarpet posted:

Played with one of those ROLI keyboards today. It was squishy like a gel-mousepad wrist rest thing. Totally weird to try to play anything on it.

Is it weird that your description is exactly what I want out of those? I doubt I'll ever own one because for the price I don't have a use for one but the thought of the squishy tactile feel sounds great. I'm dying to get my hands on one to play around with.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is it weird that your description is exactly what I want out of those? I doubt I'll ever own one because for the price I don't have a use for one but the thought of the squishy tactile feel sounds great. I'm dying to get my hands on one to play around with.

Yeah I rally want to try one out first. I could see it being amazing, or completely unusable.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Laserjet 4P posted:

They always seemed like the budget Haken Continuum.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I didn't like the older big one. Like the continuum is a better instrument and better put together product. I don't even grok the concept though I guess. You can't gliss nicely cause of all the bumps and it feels like you're playing a stress ball.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
That new Intellijel eurorack case looks insane with all the potential expandability. Only thing keeping me from pressing the buy button (besides it not being for sale yet) is that I want to know what the deal with the 1U tiles is. What functions are there? Audio out and MIDI/USB are definitely there, also some attenuators, but it also looks like there's a logic section and some other crap. Close ups desired

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
welp i preordered a MN Tempi :homebrew:

the intellijel Rainmaker looks really interesting but it's one of those things that looks like it does so much that i would never actually end up using it. gonna need to see some more demos i think.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

That new Intellijel eurorack case looks insane with all the potential expandability. Only thing keeping me from pressing the buy button (besides it not being for sale yet) is that I want to know what the deal with the 1U tiles is. What functions are there? Audio out and MIDI/USB are definitely there, also some attenuators, but it also looks like there's a logic section and some other crap. Close ups desired

The attenuators look like a mixer, I think I saw some mults (probably buffered), and on the left may be an audio input for bringing in line-level signals. Not sure though.

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012

sliderule posted:

Would I recommend it? Only if you can't use a VST to scratch your itch and you want a mini-key synth. Then again, Volca FM. Although I'm lollin hard imagining a Korg manual explaining FM synthesis and how to program the unit.

Thanks! It does look fun but not really at the price they're going for, particularly since Korg's just announced the new Volca which should satiate my appetite for clangy FM noodling.

Also lmao @ Yamaha throwing FM in their billion-dollar workstation while Korg releases this for ~$150.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Here's a good view of the top. Line in/Out, 4-channel attenuverter/mixer, midi interface and another line out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Decayed
Dec 30, 2004

Shang-a-lang
Fun Shoe

Sexy Randal posted:

Can the sequencer in the Beatstep Pro hold notes? Like if I wanted to have a sequence that had notes of varying lengths, can it accommodate that?
Adjust the gate to tie to the next note

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I don't know what the difference is, but while my reaction to every one of the little Boutique, Reface, and Volca instruments has been, "Well, that's just not for me," when it comes to Teenage Engineering products it's pretty consistently been, "That may not be for me, but drat is that brilliant/cool/innovative."

The OP-Z:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oasxHXVVEcs

EDIT: Wow, the youtube commenters DO NOT share my opinion!

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent York Morgan
Apr 28, 2013
I'm in the market for a new synth. I'm selling my Microkorg, because I don't like editing that thing. So I was looking at the MS2000, which is basically the same thing but with a more sane interface. I always liked the sound the Microkorg/MS2000 makes.
But now I found the Yamaha AN1X which is in my budget (it's even cheaper), and I love the sound it makes and the features it has. But what is bothering me is the interface. Does it suck just as bad as the Microkorg? Or does the fact that it has a LCD screen and more knobs make it more usable? I checked YouTube for some demo's of editing patches, but I couldn't get a grip on how bad it actually is.