Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I gotta work on Saturday so I probably won't be seeing any snow, which is a shame, because it's been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

Spanish Matlock posted:

Post your writing or gtfo.

Dude, have you not been following the thread of my posts? I write "bilingual" material under "constrained settings". I just churn out English-and-Chinese or English-only conversations, sentences, short essays, and listening and reading tests (the latter two in the style of GEPT and TOEIC). None of it's worth reading, but it is at least all published and out there island-wide.

I'll screenshot some pages out of my most recent book or something if you ask nicely.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Dude, have you not been following the thread of my posts? I write "bilingual" material under "constrained settings". I just churn out English-and-Chinese or English-only conversations, sentences, short essays, and listening and reading tests (the latter two in the style of GEPT and TOEIC). None of it's worth reading, but it is at least all published and out there island-wide.

I'll screenshot some pages out of my most recent book or something if you ask nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubU-dB8B-94

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

I'm sorry, did I give the impression that I write Chinese-language novels or am a published English novelist whose sophomoric effort made it onto the NYT Best Seller's List? WTF backpedaling are you referring to? :lol:

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Pandemonium posted:

Again, what British slang?

Like, mayhaps, you could reflect on what you post, before you post, bro! This would save you, and us, from the tiresome masquerade whereby you continually ask people to state their case from whatever tripe you've posted, brah.

Like, you apparently have great disdain for ESL teachers, bro. Like, with that in mind, perhaps you could try and not act like this thread is your classroom, amd you are the teacher.

Pandemonium posted:

Because it's not.

A) Stating a thing doesn't making it true.

B) If you cannot see that you are a bullying, contemptuous braggard, you have a real issue that you ought address posthaste, bro!

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Spanish Matlock posted:

Post your writing or gtfo.

Thissery

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
as a person who says "bro" unironically i'm a bit concerned at the dark direction this thread is taking

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Pandemonium posted:

WTF backpedaling are you referring to? :lol:

Hahaha, and you have the gall to poo poo on the ESL guys from the esteemed position as a second rate loving hack

You're a piece-work, penny on the word, literary pollutant.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pandemonium posted:

Hahaha, yeah I've done TOEIC tests for LiveABC too. I'm generally impressed that you managed to not piss someone off for long enough to be allowed to do that, but you're no step above the average sticky-ball throwing ESL scrub, that's for sure.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Anybody want to bet on the rebuttal being 300/500/1000/X00 words?

I'll bet for a plat on 600 words.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

At least 4 paragraphs

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I think people took you to be a published journalist pandemonium. You described yourself as one and also said you had an upcoming book. I hope you can see why it would be easy for someone to think the two claims were related even if you never intended them to be.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Pandemonium posted:

Sounds like your work centers around education, particularly in the English language. I'm guessing it's probably geared toward people whose first language isn't English. Maybe it's their third or second language? I guess you could say you do a lot of work in the field of English as a second language or, as some people call it, in the ESL field.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

url posted:

Like, mayhaps, you could reflect on what you post, before you post, bro! This would save you, and us, from the tiresome masquerade whereby you continually ask people to state their case from whatever tripe you've posted, brah.

Dude, what British slang? You made a whole lovely post earlier about my use of British slang, and I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. It would be nice if you could actually respond to a post I make, and not vomit out more uninteresting posts that, if people think my posts are self-masturbatory, they must see yours as taking self-masturbatory to a whole new dimension. How long do you sit considering and weighing the words in your poo poo posts before you post them? Props to you, though, for managing to not post a single word related to Taiwan in these recent poo poo posts, to have taken on the arduous task of constructing uninteresting ad hominen posts that are nothing more than attempts to tear down someone you don't know because you... take offense or think you're cool or something.

And again, mentioning that I work for publishers = dropping credentials? What? That's my job. I didn't say which publishers, how many books, or anything else. Please, tell me how mentioning that I work for publishers is any different than mentioning I work for a school, a trading company, a hair saloon, a restaurant, or anything else. It's work I do. It's not bragging unless you read that into it.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Hahaha, yeah I've done TOEIC tests for LiveABC too. I'm generally impressed that you managed to not piss someone off for long enough to be allowed to do that, but you're no step above the average sticky-ball throwing ESL scrub, that's for sure.

It's totally not okay for me to say someone is an idiot for wanting to date their coworker, but this right here is right on point and you saying it is totally cool. Best part of all, you got tons of evidence to support that invective statement. You know that how I write here is exactly how I write for work.

There's an already beaten to death reason I said the dude was an idiot--a very clear one, and a reason not just applicable to him, etiher--yet everything you and the other shitposters have posted amounts to weak rear end-assertions with no evidence. "Your writing is cumbersome and imprecise" and URL's sad attempts at mockery are two of the more recent examples. For the former, cheers for not addressing my response to your unsupported statement, either. Which reminds me why I love online communication so much : you can post basically whatever you want, then go "neener, neener, neener" and totally ignore any response and merrily continue on to say other unsupported, unsubstantiated nonsense. It makes things super fun!

Oh, I don't write for LiveABC. The GEPT and TOEIC style tests I write are for an international company that has been working its way into the Taiwanese market. Dunno how they do things at LiveABC, but with that company I was the sole author of every test, all 71. Boy, that was a tough eight months.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think people took you to be a published journalist pandemonium. You described yourself as one and also said you had an upcoming book. I hope you can see why it would be easy for someone to think the two claims were related even if you never intended them to be.

I do. I already have five books that are or were in book stores nationwide with my name on them, four as editor and one as sole author, and there is a sixth coming out this year where I am also sole author. They are not at all relevant to foreigners, though, seeing as they are English-language learning materials, so I don't see the point of people in this thread wanting to peruse them. You know, they aren't meant for any of us. I appreciate your posts, though. I hope the other cool dudes poo poo posting like it's going out of style learn a thing or two from your posts and how I always respond to them in a cordial-ish way.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

Sounds like your work centers around education, particularly in the English language. I'm guessing it's probably geared toward people whose first language isn't English. Maybe it's their third or second language? I guess you could say you do a lot of work in the field of English as a second language or, as some people call it, in the ESL field.

In which writing and teaching are exactly the same, tots comparable. Constructing and writing standardized tests and writing entire five hundred page books are exactly the same thing as teaching kids phonics. And we all know the foreigners writing ESL material in Taiwan are all writing bilingual material.

That's the field where I get a lot of gigs and do the most actual writing, while my editing work involves submissions to an international medical journal, other medical research, PhD dissertations, stuff like that. And my translation work is mostly translating Chinese copy into English for local companies.

Just so we are clear. Now we wait for the poo poo posts about how the above is a total full-on brag post and not a clarification post. Po-ta-toes po-ta-toes, eh?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Yawn. None of the work you do is special or puts you one degree above a drunken English teaching bear. It's funny because you try super hard to humble brag but its about stuff that is painfully unimpressive, and it's all through a fart cloud of unwarranted self importance and unearned hostility toward people who are more fun than you at parties.

I was hoping you'd post some of the poo poo work that makes you feel important so we could all laugh at what a basic bitch you are, but it seems like you've got everything to prove and nothing to prove it with.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
"Poh-tay-toe poh-tah-toe," is the expression, surely?

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
Remember that whole autism thing you got upset about? well,

Moon Slayer posted:

At first I thought Pandemonium was just a jerk, but I'm honestly starting to suspect he's somewhere on the autism spectrum. The weird obsessing over one minor thing someone said, the inability to not just realize something is a joke but disbelief that people would actually make jokes about a topic suggest autism, in my opinion. The "I'm special and better than all of you because I'm smarter/have a higher skill level in one thing/work in a different field than you" suggests Aspergers.

You're making it hard to disagree.

url posted:

Anybody want to bet on the rebuttal being 300/500/1000/X00 words?

I'll bet for a plat on 600 words.

698. Pretty close!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Pandemonium posted:

In which writing and teaching are exactly the same, tots comparable. Constructing and writing standardized tests and writing entire five hundred page books are exactly the same thing as teaching kids phonics. And we all know the foreigners writing ESL material in Taiwan are all writing bilingual material.

That's the field where I get a lot of gigs and do the most actual writing, while my editing work involves submissions to an international medical journal, other medical research, PhD dissertations, stuff like that. And my translation work is mostly translating Chinese copy into English for local companies.

Just so we are clear. Now we wait for the poo poo posts about how the above is a total full-on brag post and not a clarification post. Po-ta-toes po-ta-toes, eh?

Sorry, dude. It sounds like your primary skill is English language ability. You love to poo poo on English teachers, but you're doing the same fuckin thing, man. Look in the mirror and stop being a dick.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

Should I post screenshots of my conversations? Should I? It's sooooooo tempting!

duckfarts posted:

"look at meeeeeeee"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Pandemonium, when can we expect your fantasy novel?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

Pandemonium, when can we expect your fantasy novel?

Depicted: Two co-workers who did it right and got married.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004
He's making it almost too easy to find out who he is at this point.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Barto posted:

He's making it almost too easy to find out who he is at this point.

Yeah, now the goons have moved into vague threats of doxxing. I have said I would join your Line group and flood it with the stuff you all are so desperate to see, but come on now. Let's not turn this thread into an internet sleuthing exercise. I mean, go ahead, but then you are really standing more firmly in the poo poo-eating, sanctimonious hypocrite camp.

Most of you are already there, but you just need that extra shove of doxxing to really cement things. And I say you're all there because you post about how rude I am to other posters (nice tumblr tone policing) while trying to outdo yourselves in how rude you can be to me. So it'd be nice if you could all stop bathing in sanctimoniousness.

Waiting for the first one of you to post a tried-and-true infantile response of "you started it"...

Look at your posts. You're all trying to outdo each other in how big of an internet dump you can take on me.

PS if you think writing English-Chinese books is comparable to being a cram school teacher, you need to say why. Because there are some pretty clear differences that make such an assertion just pure ad hominem bullshit.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

When you say you write English-Chinese books, you of course mean that you scribble (let's be generous) passable Chinese notes onto ESL practice tests.

I'm presuming that you don't actually have any Chinese qualifications. No degree, no TOCFL, that sort of thing. I'm not 100% sure because the autism makes it hard to evaluate your Dunning-Kruger situation.

Edit: Further, I don't think you have a real appreciation of what being a cram school teacher is, and how that experience varies from business to business. "Cram School Teacher" includes people throwing sticky balls at boards, and people teaching investment bankers how to investment bank. And it also includes people writing practice tests for various qualification exams.

I, for example, am a "cram school" teacher. I also write TOEIC and TOEFL practice tests, teach at various international companies like Cisco and Target, and also to various departments at City Hall and such. I edit papers for professors at actual academic institutions like NTU and Academia Sinica. I can also speak passable Chinese, but have no formal training and am good enough at Chinese to recognize how bad I am at Chinese.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 22, 2016

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Pandemonium: It's looks like you're having an episode.
Stop posting and come back in a while, and then see if it all still matters.

If you wanted to take stock:
each of your interactions here over the past few days you've had a problem with the person you are corresponding to.
This has occurred on each occasion, and has descended into ad hominem. (the singular exception would be Atlas Hugged)
At this juncture one should invoke the "If there is a problem in all your relationships, it's on you, not them" rule.

It's not a big deal, let it go. We've all poo poo posted and argued the toss before now.
Hell, some of us drunk-post vitriol for days on end.
It's not important.

again, for clarity:

I think you are having an episode, and I think you should take a break.

this is a stickup posted:

698. Pretty close!

I get 571 not including the quotes.

:getin:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pandemonium posted:

PS if you think writing English-Chinese books is comparable to being a cram school teacher, you need to say why. Because there are some pretty clear differences that make such an assertion just pure ad hominem bullshit.
Jeez you miss the point hard. It's not ad hominem because there's nothing loving wrong with working in English education. That's not an insult! Education is a profession you can take pride in!

My point is that it's extremely ironic that you're always treating it as an ad hominem when actually you work in English education where the primary value you bring to your work is that you're a native English speaker, same as a cram school teacher.

But that's okay! It's cool that you make a living from that. And you're clearly happy and satisfied with your work. You should take note of that and stop making GBS threads on your peers for what they do, particularly when it's pretty much the same as what you do.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah, that's the thing - none of the rest of us feel the need to prove our superiority, the need to poo poo in others for their work, or the need for anyone else to figuratively suck our dicks about our jobs. I'm proud of (most of) the work I've done and for whom, but I don't need to parade that poo poo to feel complete. I assume the same is true, to a greater or lesser extent, of everyone else in here.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I think Pandemonium has made the mistake of implicitly associating a group of people he doesn't like (loud, obnoxious, licentious foreigners) with one particular job (cram school teacher).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
One thing I've noticed about this thread is that it's really not that much of an echo chamber. What normally happens is that someone asks for some advice about Taiwan and people give a variety of answers from their own personal perspectives and sometimes it lines up, sometimes it doesn't. But what almost never happens in here is that people will post something and then a bunch of people will go, "YEAH I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THAT." In fact, the most common response is usually silence, especially since the Line group got started two years ago or so. Most of the banter has moved over there and the thread here serves less as a meeting place and more as a reference point.

The only thing that really gets the thread going and simultaneously produces an echo chamber effect is when Pandemonium posts. So on the one hand the thread is pretty dull when he's not around but on the other hand it's a lot less angry in here when he isn't ruffling feathers for whatever reason.

But whatever, it's a thread on a comedy forum and I'm choosing not to take it seriously. If Pandemonium says he's an amazing guy in person and this is just his internet face to people he doesn't give a poo poo about, I'll take his word on it. So feel free to come by my in-law's shop some time and speak Hakka with my grandmother-in-law and drink some whisby with the local alcoholics.

A totally random aside, my wife said that 鐵馬, at least for her, referred specifically to the old street motorcycles people still drive around, like the ones used to haul tanks of natural gas. And she thought it was hilarious when I said it in Taiwanese. So thanks for helping me make my wife laugh Pandemonium and making her reminiscent of her childhood where she was forced to speak Taiwanese when out and about and couldn't figure out why her family all insisted on speaking a different language at home.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Atlas Hugged posted:

One thing I've noticed about this thread is that it's really not that much of an echo chamber. What normally happens is that someone asks for some advice about Taiwan and people give a variety of answers from their own personal perspectives and sometimes it lines up, sometimes it doesn't. But what almost never happens in here is that people will post something and then a bunch of people will go, "YEAH I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THAT." In fact, the most common response is usually silence, especially since the Line group got started two years ago or so. Most of the banter has moved over there and the thread here serves less as a meeting place and more as a reference point.

YEAH I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THAT

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

url posted:

I get 571 not including the quotes.

:getin:

I included both posts since it was a double, but I think you win either way :unsmith:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ntan1 posted:

YEAH I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THAT

gently caress.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Atlas Hugged posted:

Joke's on you guys, I never joined the LINE group :colbert:

Oh yeah I forgot, suck it non-teachers, I've got the next 3 weeks off for winter vacation.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 22, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

GoutPatrol posted:

Joke's on you guys, I never joined the LINE group :colbert:

I left it a year and a half ago. :colbert:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

And I've decided I need to participate in it again :colbert:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
What exactly is tumblr tone policing supposed to be?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

What exactly is tumblr tone policing supposed to be?

It's where a transvestite space dragon aggressively inspects your harmonica.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's where a transvestite space dragon aggressively inspects your harmonica.

You'd think a frequenter of hippo bars would know better than to be throwing around offensive and constraining labels like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

You'd think a frequenter of hippo bars would know better than to be throwing around offensive and constraining labels like that.

Sorry. Space reptile