Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
File extensions are completely meaningless; that IS the xml file you are looking for, and it is xml.
You probably had a redirect or a saved file cached there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Non Serviam posted:

I definitely didn't change the xml file and turned it into an html file (since I don't even know how to do that) so I'm absolutely puzzled by this.

You were requesting an xml file that the server couldn't find, so it was sending back an error page (in html format) instead.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Kekekela posted:

You were requesting an xml file that the server couldn't find, so it was sending back an error page (in html format) instead.

So it was like "You want an XML file? HERE'S YOUR XML FILE!!!"

You were all really helpful, thank you very much for your assistance.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Does anyone have a good [ read on | generator for | repository of ] privacy policies? I have a bit of a "non-standard" use case so I can't just steal one off a generic website. :v:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
These guys might be good.

https://www.iubenda.com/en

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
How do you guys debug (specifically JavaScript debug) Chrome on iOS? I had one bug that I stumbled upon solving but now we have another. I know there is integration for Chrome on Android and Safari on iOS by plugging the device into a computer, but what of the Chrome/iOS mix?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I've never tried (sorry! I just have a question) but are you actually seeing bugs on Chrome that aren't in Safari? I've just been assuming they're equivalent renderer+engines with slightly different UIs around them.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Munkeymon posted:

I've never tried (sorry! I just have a question) but are you actually seeing bugs on Chrome that aren't in Safari? I've just been assuming they're equivalent renderer+engines with slightly different UIs around them.
Yes, the one I solved was where the way Handlebars was compiling, it would completely freeze Chrome on iOS (but not Safari, nor Chrome on other OSs :confused:) This new one, on a different project, looks like it might be returning a different value for jqXHR.status resulting in an error being shown the user, even when everything is ok once it is dismissed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If all else fails you can always go ghetto/2003 style and output your log messages to a div.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

The Merkinman posted:

How do you guys debug (specifically JavaScript debug) Chrome on iOS? I had one bug that I stumbled upon solving but now we have another. I know there is integration for Chrome on Android and Safari on iOS by plugging the device into a computer, but what of the Chrome/iOS mix?

I'm currently in the same hell. For me, G+ login doesn't work in Chrome on iOS. This bug seems to detail some of the differences between Safari and Chrome: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=136610

As far as debugging, the only thing I've found to help is Weiner: https://people.apache.org/~pmuellr/weinre/docs/1.x/1.5.0/ . You'll have to punch in some JS by hand into the address bar. :(

Proxying SSL is basically impossible. You can give your iPhone a fake cert and trust it, but Chrome can't/won't use it.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
There's also this: http://jsconsole.com/remote-debugging.html

But yeah, it's a pain and Chrome definitely doesn't always act the same as Safari.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Merkinman posted:

Not that you shouldn't investigate the bug, but what are the numbers on Chrome usage on iOS?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Lumpy posted:

Not that you shouldn't investigate the bug, but what are the numbers on Chrome usage on iOS?
Here's a snapshot from my analytics if that helps...
Obviously every site is different.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Lumpy posted:

Not sure if I'm reading it correctly, but ~3.5%.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

The Merkinman posted:

Not sure if I'm reading it correctly, but ~3.5%.

At 3.5%, I'd try to fix it, but wouldn't make it a huge priority.

I prefer Chrome over Safari on my iPhone, but anytime I click a link, it defaults to opening with Safari which explains why the Chrome usage on mobile is so low.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Is it possible to install wordpress and create a theme locally? I know literally nothing about Wordpress.org.

What I'm looking to do is take my existing site and convert it into a WP theme and basically just add a blog. I don't have hosting at all, but was hoping I could do all that for free.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Grump posted:

Is it possible to install wordpress and create a theme locally? I know literally nothing about Wordpress.org.

What I'm looking to do is take my existing site and convert it into a WP theme and basically just add a blog. I don't have hosting at all, but was hoping I could do all that for free.

Short answer: Yes. Long answer: Yesssssssssssss.

Check out the WordPress thread (read the most recent pages, the OP is ancient) and then install either the Bitnami WordPress stack for XAMPP or just run your preferred virtualization software and do a standard install.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Developing on a local WP installation is the preferred way to do things.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
If I'm hosting video do I still need an mp4 (h264), webm and ogg version for each one? Or can I get away with just mp4 now? It's for a designer portfolio so I imagine most of the visitors will have updated browsers...

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

fuf posted:

If I'm hosting video do I still need an mp4 (h264), webm and ogg version for each one? Or can I get away with just mp4 now? It's for a designer portfolio so I imagine most of the visitors will have updated browsers...

I'd honestly consider hosting videos on YouTube and disable all their UI. They allow a good deal of customisation on the embed nowdays https://developers.google.com/youtube/player_parameters?hl=en#Parameters

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.

fuf posted:

Unless you've got a super compelling reason to host it yourself, as Heskie said, go YouTube. If you're B2B (expecting visitors to be businesses with content block policies), we tend to find Vimeo isn't nearly as widely blocked.

For compatibility, refer to these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_video
http://caniuse.com/#feat=mpeg4

h.264 mp4 is looking pretty swell these days. That said, if it's all deploy then there's a chance the visitor will still choke on the content due to some random incompatibility. The most compelling reason to use YouTube is it will work out all that horse balls for you and you can get on with your site rather than figuring out how to host videos.

Bonus points; YouTube can give you extra exposure (context in google, etc), so if it's for a portfolio then this is to your benefit.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We just used youtube for the main section of our new SaaS site and without the title or recommended videos it's perfect. Plus another page for good SEO exposure. Though Vimeo paid accounts do allow you to completely change the colors of the UI and have no branding, if that's necessary.

You can also hide the youtube controls, if you're really a monster.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
yeah I already linked the client to a bunch of articles on why self-hosting video is a bad idea but they are insisting because they think youtube / vimeo embeds look "unprofessional". I'm not gonna keep arguing...

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
For anyone who uses it: How are you feeling about Atom in comparison to SublimeText and such? I'm still using TextWrangler which is really starting to suck for a larger scale project. I know Atom, SublimeText or something else would be better, but I'm hoping to dive into a better code editor quickly for my time constraints. Any other suggestions?

edit: I need it compatible with OS X, linting, syntax highlighting, built-in ftp, navigator with folder hierarchy

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 25, 2016

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

For anyone who uses it: How are you feeling about Atom in comparison to SublimeText and such? I'm still using TextWrangler which is really starting to suck for a larger scale project. I know Atom, SublimeText or something else would be better, but I'm hoping to dive into a better code editor quickly for my time constraints. Any other suggestions?

If you are doing web development, VSCode is really good. Especially if you are using TypeScript, but even if not. It is built on Electron, like Atom, but has some custom Intellisense stuff from Microsoft built in. It's free, and is actively under development, so new features are constantly coming out. It also has built in integration for Git and Grunt/Gulp.

https://code.visualstudio.com/

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Skandranon posted:

If you are doing web development, VSCode is really good. Especially if you are using TypeScript, but even if not. It is built on Electron, like Atom, but has some custom Intellisense stuff from Microsoft built in. It's free, and is actively under development, so new features are constantly coming out. It also has built in integration for Git and Grunt/Gulp.

Thank you ;)

Downloading now.

update: installed ftp-sync on it. Works nice!

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 25, 2016

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Skandranon posted:

This or Atom both work wonderfully. I'm sticking with Atom right now (after moving from Sublime) because I'm waiting for all the packages I like to get ported over to VSCode, but VSCode's performance is amazing.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Skandranon posted:

But how is their VIM plugin? :ohdear: I've frequently tried other editors / IDEs but I cannot remove vim from my muscle memory, and so I when I do, I spend 95% of my time deleting vim commands from my code....

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I'm working on a project where the clients would like to generate pretty graphs and such in a web portal and then export them to pdf reports. So theres tons of great chart libraries out there like high charts, but the pdf part is throwing me off. It would be awesome if I could just grab a snapshot of an html page but something tells me that would be unreliable. Is the correct solution to use the chart library abilities to export and aggregate them into a pdf through some library? This is a Java back end by the way.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

FateFree posted:

I'm working on a project where the clients would like to generate pretty graphs and such in a web portal and then export them to pdf reports. So theres tons of great chart libraries out there like high charts, but the pdf part is throwing me off. It would be awesome if I could just grab a snapshot of an html page but something tells me that would be unreliable. Is the correct solution to use the chart library abilities to export and aggregate them into a pdf through some library? This is a Java back end by the way.

High Charts can export to pdf, png, etc: http://www.highcharts.com/docs/export-module/export-module-overview

We used that to export to PNG and then send it to Flying Saucer (Java) with some markup to generate a pretty PDF.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Has anyone else run into an issue on iOS where web audio plays fine in Safari but if you pin the page to the home screen then launch it from there audio stops working? I've made a HTML5 game but if I try to launch it full screen there's no audio at all - works fine in the browser though.

I'm testing on iOS 9.2.1

Also, it looks like Apple broke Safari so if you tap on the address bar (y'know, to try and go to a URL) it force closes. Good job, Geniuses.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

nexus6 posted:

Also, it looks like Apple broke Safari so if you tap on the address bar (y'know, to try and go to a URL) it force closes. Good job, Geniuses.

Deactivating "include safari suggestions" will fix that btw.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I'm getting completely owned by mobile, hoping someone can help. I'm not very experienced with mobile optimisation so I'm not sure where to start with this, but my site: nickcoad.me is very slow on mobile. I suspect there are all kinds of CSS rules and so on that are bad for mobile, and I think also the scrollbar plugin I'm using is probably terrible too, but I can't figure out a way to reliably disable that on mobile/slower devices.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 28, 2016

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

The Wizard of Poz posted:

I'm getting completely owned by mobile, hoping someone can help. I'm not very experienced with mobile optimisation so I'm not sure where to start with this, but my site: nickcoad.me is very slow on mobile. I suspect there are all kinds of CSS rules and so on that are bad for mobile, and I think also the scrollbar plugin I'm using is probably terrible too, but I can't figure out a way to reliably disable that on mobile/slower devices.

Well for one thing your site has to load 4MB worth of assets for the home page, including a bunch of large images that aren't even visible on the landing page

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

nexus6 posted:

Has anyone else run into an issue on iOS where web audio plays fine in Safari but if you pin the page to the home screen then launch it from there audio stops working? I've made a HTML5 game but if I try to launch it full screen there's no audio at all - works fine in the browser though.

I'm testing on iOS 9.2.1

I think iOS prevents playing of audio/video elements unless they're triggered by user input so could be that. Try checking if the audio is even playing and/or manually play it from the console. Debugging on iOS is actually pretty easy, just connect your device via USB, open Safari on your Mac, and look under the "Develop" menu.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hi. Mobile isn't your issue.
  • You overrode default scroll behavior for no good reason, even on desktop. Yeah, it's also bad on mobile, like you said. Just get rid of it and use default scrolling or modify your layout.
  • Opening images in a new window on click is fine, but I lose my spot on the page when I go back
  • When in your resume section, navigation back to your portfolio is not obvious and/or is hidden
  • I don't get your image choice for resume and portfolio
  • Your spacing is all wonky. Text on the portfolio goes off the page on the right. The "< Resume" button looks like it should be horizontally aligned, but it's not.
I know you didn't ask for a critique, but whaaaaaatever.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

kedo posted:

Hi. Mobile isn't your issue.
  • You overrode default scroll behavior for no good reason, even on desktop. Yeah, it's also bad on mobile, like you said. Just get rid of it and use default scrolling or modify your layout.
  • Opening images in a new window on click is fine, but I lose my spot on the page when I go back
  • When in your resume section, navigation back to your portfolio is not obvious and/or is hidden
  • I don't get your image choice for resume and portfolio
  • Your spacing is all wonky. Text on the portfolio goes off the page on the right. The "< Resume" button looks like it should be horizontally aligned, but it's not.
I know you didn't ask for a critique, but whaaaaaatever.

No, a critique is fine. It's an unfinished project so feedback is very useful. A few of the things you described are actually bugs, not intended behaviour. For example the resume is supposed to look the same as the portfolio but in reverse, there should be a clickable area down the right-hand side to go back to the portfolio, but I made an error in the CSS.

Clicking the images is supposed to show a lightbox, but that was also broken.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Before going any further, optimize your assets. Run all of your images through https://tinypng.com/ , you are going to reduce the size of the page load by a ton. Also, use smaller images for your thumbs instead of just scaling the full size images and then request the full size when the pop up is created.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

The Dave posted:

Before going any further, optimize your assets. Run all of your images through https://tinypng.com/ , you are going to reduce the size of the page load by a ton. Also, use smaller images for your thumbs instead of just scaling the full size images and then request the full size when the pop up is created.

Wow, that made a huge difference. I was already trying to optimise the assets using gulp:

code:
gulp.task('images', function() {
  	return gulp.src(paths.images)
    		   .pipe(cache(imagemin({ optimizationLevel: 3, progressive: true, interlaced: true })))
    		   .pipe(gulp.dest('dist/assets/img'))
    		   .pipe(notify({ message: 'Images task complete' }));
});
Is optimizationLevel: 3 not high enough? Or is imagemin just garbage?

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!

Wow, that made a huge difference. I was already trying to optimise the assets using gulp:

code:
gulp.task('images', function() {
  	return gulp.src(paths.images)
    		   .pipe(cache(imagemin({ optimizationLevel: 3, progressive: true, interlaced: true })))
    		   .pipe(gulp.dest('dist/assets/img'))
    		   .pipe(notify({ message: 'Images task complete' }));
});
Is optimizationLevel: 3 not high enough? Or is imagemin just garbage?

Garbage. There is a tinypng gulp plugin.

https://www.npmjs.com/package/gulp-tinypng

It requires an API key, which gives you 500 free calls per month.

https://tinypng.com/developers