Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

So I'm playing SHadowrun Hong Kong and am making a new character. I want to play a melee character using claw cyberware weapons. Do I still need to put points into Melee or unarmed combat? Or are those not accounted for?

Melee will still help you, Unarmed will not. Congrats on picking the best weapon type and enjoy hammering your super-high essence into the ground with high-end cyber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Super Ninja Fish posted:

You don't know what the enemies and bosses will be weak against until you get to them. Even if you did know, no one in their right mind would unequip and equip all of those elements because that would be such a pain in the rear end. Especially when the only outcome of doing it would be the game would be worse. It would be like purposefully forcing a battle to be repetitive and boring. (Or if you already felt they were repetitive and boring, then even more repetitive and boring)

The point was that you said that Chrono Cross's battle system and one shot elements "requires your attention" because you can't just lean on the same thing, when it absolutely does not because you still can just do the same set of attack animations over and over again and with the way the system works, you can bypass the one use spells entirely by loading up on the same spell multiple times. You can also run away from nearly every potential boss fight and then reequip elements once you know what their innate element is, so not knowing ahead of time is kind of a moot point, and it's not as if the elements themselves provide any stat boosts.

It also doesn't help that 95% of the characters are so samey mechanically where they're either good at smacking poo poo physically, nuking poo poo with magic, or most likely, being flat out terrible. The only really differentiation between characters are what their three unique moves are, and most of them all a variation of hitting a dude or a group of dudes. The only characters that have anything interesting in terms of special moves are childhood friend's third one that restores all elements to being unused, Sprigg's Doppel which unfortunately doesn't translate to much, and the three characters that can steal from enemies(which can fail, always great with this one shot system), which means one of them is generally shoved into your party at all times. So now the only thing that will really require you attention is whether or not the success animation plays out for stealing and how useless your other character is.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mokinokaro posted:

DQ7 is also getting a full retranslation which obviously means a new dub too.

I don't think DQ7 ever had voice acting. As far as I know, the US/EU version of DQ8 was the first game to have it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't think DQ7 ever had voice acting. As far as I know, the US/EU version of DQ8 was the first game to have it.

Correctamundo.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Kild posted:

Hey now he's doing important stuff in the 2nd half. And he has a reason to be the main character.

Yes but you have to admit he's never anywhere near as badass as most of the rest of the characters.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Getsuya posted:

Yes but you have to admit he's never anywhere near as badass as most of the rest of the characters.

Blocter should be the main character.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

definitely one of the worst

Levantine posted:

Saga frontier 2 is probably my overall fave game from that period. It's real good and has actually aged pretty well. For a saga game anyway.

both of the final scenarios are gently caress yous unless you had a guide and knew what to do / prep for them.

gently caress you egg and fake gustaf :argh:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 22, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ashe probably wins the award for "design most incongruous with the character."

"Hm, sad tragic princess of a conquered Kingdom struggling with her self-destructive desire for revenge? Hot pink miniskirt!"

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

everyone in last remnant is a freaking goon except for glenys, nora, violet, and emma

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

That definitely has negative space in all the wrong places. She looks like a Totem pole.

For favorites, I think the class designs in Etrian Odyssey are just the right amount of JRPG craziness for me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GulagDolls posted:

everyone in last remnant is a freaking goon except for glenys, nora, violet, and emma

leshau is og

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

"Hm, sad tragic princess of a conquered Kingdom struggling with her self-destructive desire for revenge? Hot pink miniskirt!"
the hosed up part is that the top half of her design both shows skin and still looks okay

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's literally 2 pieces of plastic held onto her by her belt.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

GulagDolls posted:

khrynia is cool

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

mycot posted:

That definitely has negative space in all the wrong places. She looks like a Totem pole.

For favorites, I think the class designs in Etrian Odyssey are just the right amount of JRPG craziness for me.

On the other hand, EO also has stuff like the female Nightseekers, or the pink haired dancer. Or the Hexer designs, which I actually genuinely like aside from the fact they're inexplicably not wearing pants.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pink-haired dancers are the same design as black-haired dancers, they just have flat chests

it's not like they look significantly younger, their boobs are just smaller

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo judging a woman's age by her boobs is problematic

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is that why people slap me when i try and guess their age

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

That's not even a skirt. She might as well just be inexplicably wearing a belt over just underwear. But yeah, above the waste her design is alright, weird pointless black cummerbund thing not withstanding.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Forest Thief Pud posted:

The point was that you said that Chrono Cross's battle system and one shot elements "requires your attention" because you can't just lean on the same thing, when it absolutely does not because you still can just do the same set of attack animations over and over again and with the way the system works, you can bypass the one use spells entirely by loading up on the same spell multiple times. You can also run away from nearly every potential boss fight and then reequip elements once you know what their innate element is, so not knowing ahead of time is kind of a moot point, and it's not as if the elements themselves provide any stat boosts.

My other point was normal people don't play the game like that. That's kind of like complaining that FFX isn't challenging when you grind and stack summon overdrives. You're going out of your way to make each battle the same as possible. You're spending time to make a worse experience.

But even in that case, it is still requiring your attention and you aren't just leaning on the same skills. You're looking at a boss's color and deciding what elements to use, you're running away, you're re-equipping elements, you have to hit something a certain amount of times to use those elements. You're not just attacking over and over and spamming the top offensive spell and summon in every battle without needing to think as you do in some RPGs.

I don't want to defend Chrono Cross. It's bad. Bad story and bad gameplay. But bad for different reasons.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

Endorph posted:

imo judging a woman's age by her boobs is problematic

Back in a game class I took a game design student came up to me and asked me to make art assets for an rpg where boob size was directly proportional to your life span. He described it as a game where big breasted immortal demigod vampires ran around slapping the dicks off of adventurers and I politely declined to have anything to do with it. I think he dropped out of DigiPen the next week. I'm pretty sure the instructors said no to his vision.

I hope he's fulfilling his big tittied dreams wherever he is tho. God bless.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Back in a game class I took a game design student came up to me and asked me to make art assets for an rpg where boob size was directly proportional to your life span. He described it as a game where big breasted immortal demigod vampires ran around slapping the dicks off of adventurers and I politely declined to have anything to do with it. I think he dropped out of DigiPen the next week. I'm pretty sure the instructors said no to his vision.

And that man was Kenichiro Takaki

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Back in a game class I took a game design student came up to me and asked me to make art assets for an rpg where boob size was directly proportional to your life span. He described it as a game where big breasted immortal demigod vampires ran around slapping the dicks off of adventurers
and that man was hideo kojima

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

motherfucker

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:dukedog:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

You should've taken him up on it, you woulda made bank on Steam

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

definitely one of the worst

Ah yes, the infamous princess Ache.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I kind of wish FF XII had alternate costumes. Give Ashe real clothes to wear and cover up Vaan's abs.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I kind of wish FF XII had alternate costumes. Give Ashe real clothes to wear and cover up Vaan's abs.

Only if Balthier's alternate costume was nothing but a speedo.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Chrono Cross is not a good game but the gameplay could have been good just if the battle animations were faster. I like the battle system. It's a good idea to have you only be able to use an element once. That keeps you from doing the same thing over and over. You're also constantly getting new elements, the enemies and bosses are changing their innate elements, you have the elemental field to think about, you have to consider what elements your guys are weak against.

The game requires your attention and that's good. Unlike Star Ocean 2, which I complained about earlier, where you just win every battle by clicking X and not even thinking or needing to look at the screen. CC is just so slow though. It makes the battles and dungeons a chore.

Remember how lovely Viper's Manor was? Then you have to go back and it's even worse because there's a new sewers section.

That bit about SO2 is a bald-faced lie, though. Considering how fast enemies start murderizing you with a wide band of status effects, I'm a bit confused of how you even came to that conclusion. :confused:

Seriously, the easy fights end after the first couple dungeons, then the game starts throwing curveballs.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Chrono Cross had a mediocre repetitive combat system and the most convoluted story.

At the same time, it also had great visuals, soundtrack, dialogues and just worked for me. Ive finished it 3 times, and now all this talk just made me want to play it again.

Also, it had some awesome character designs

EDIT: vvvvvv and inst that great?? (he is a pirate)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 22, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that last one looks like cyan from ff6 as a gay biker

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've always been a big fan of the Cross battle system itself, in that it effectively gates your stats to boss fights, you can heal after battles for free if you plan accordingly, and there's a big of a juggling act/strategy involved by mixing in regular attacks to build up the grid. The biggest downside is re-equipping a given character's grid from scratch if needed, it's always a bit of a pain.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Nate RFB posted:

I've always been a big fan of the Cross battle system itself, in that it effectively gates your stats to boss fights, you can heal after battles for free if you plan accordingly, and there's a big of a juggling act/strategy involved by mixing in regular attacks to build up the grid. The biggest downside is re-equipping a given character's grid from scratch if needed, it's always a bit of a pain.

It did had its qualities, it did not favors or required grinding and boring poo poo like "use potions after every battle or return to city for resting" and etc. But strategically is not very deep and it gets really repetitive after a while.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 22, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mr. Fortitude posted:

FFTA2 more or less completely fixes Vaan's design by just giving him a shirt.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would seriously give Chrono Cross a lot more of a pass if it had a 5 or even 6 person party. A 3 person party where one of the slots is locked and at least one more effectively might as well be is annoying as poo poo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I like Chrono Cross, and hell, most PS1 JRPGs that were trying. I just don't have time for them anymore.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nakar posted:

FFTA2 more or less completely fixes Vaan's design by just giving him a shirt.

Yeah, I actually really like his outfit in FFT A2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
"Let's just give them a shirt" or "let's just give them pants" would fix a lot of terrible rpg character designs though to be honest.