Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Hob_Gadling posted:

Doesn't hurt to ask in any case. Typically they've been pretty good in honoring their end of the deal.

Tech support fixed my issue. Had me do a factory reset and it's back in working order. Not sure if that's a good sign or not but at least I can watch TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

A little bit off topic; can anyone recommend a Bluetooth speaker? Needs to have a line in also and be small enough to easily travel with.

The Logitech UE Mini Boom is good and often on sale.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

FrankieGoes posted:

As is going to be the case with any bookshelf, and generally even floorstanders. I love B&W's sound though. I had a 5 channel system of 602 and 601 S3s and A/B'd them with my (massively higher MSRP) Infinitys and for music I preferred the B&Ws. But since I'm using them for HT the B&Ws went and the Infinitys stayed. Someday I plan on moving back to B&W though, either with a dedicated 2 channel set up or one of their bigger offerings for my HT.

Thanks for the input. I'll have to decide on a sub to go with the 686 S2's and HTM62 I'm looking at after listening to them all together. Now to decide on a sub...

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I ordered a Marantz sr6009 from accessories4less, and it seems to be DOA. I hooked everything up, and within a couple of seconds the amp shut off and the power button flashed. Trying to troubleshoot, I unplugged every speaker and connection until I finally pulled the unit out of the stand and took it over to a table. While nothing was plugged in to the amp, just power cable, protection mode still kicked in.

Seems pretty straightforward, but any other tips to check before I send this back?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Unless you can spot any kind of wire that's shorting out the speaker outputs or something from a purely visual inspection, don't bother.

It's dead as a dodo, send it back for a replacement.

BoyMeetsWorld
Aug 31, 2006
I'm looking to buy my first receiver. Been checking out reviews and looking into my options. Sony makes an affordable 2 channel that would work for me, but would prevent me from ever expanding or even adding a subwoofer.
Thoughts on this Flash Sale Pioneer 5.1 receiver?
http://flash.newegg.com/Product/N82E16886983005?icid=WP_0_01152016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BoyMeetsWorld posted:

I'm looking to buy my first receiver. Been checking out reviews and looking into my options. Sony makes an affordable 2 channel that would work for me, but would prevent me from ever expanding or even adding a subwoofer.
Thoughts on this Flash Sale Pioneer 5.1 receiver?
http://flash.newegg.com/Product/N82E16886983005?icid=WP_0_01152016

Well hey. I have the 523. Besides some weird issue with HDMI video not working (reset fixed it) it's been bullet proof for me for a year and a half or two. I use it to power a 5.1 setup with Directv, Bluray, Media PC as inputs and it works great. Not the most powerful receiver out there but it works fine for my needs.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Am I scrub for using a Logitech Z5500 system for everything? My room is only like 14x16.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Fuzz posted:

Am I scrub for using a Logitech Z5500 system for everything? My room is only like 14x16.

If it sounds good to you then it's a great system.

Are there other systems out there that will sound better? Yes, but are you happy with what you have at the moment? If so, don't worry about it... Audiophiles are never happy, they always think something could be better so they never settle on anything and thus never enjoy what they have, they spend forever listening to perceived differences in equipment rather than actually enjoy it for what it does which is play your favourite music for you to enjoy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fuzz posted:

In a room roughly the same size as yours, I am using two active bookshelf speakers with 2x50W each, and two 12" subwoofers with 120W each. In my even smaller bedroom I'm using a vintage Technics amp and a set of beefy JBL 4410s (1970s 3-way speakers with 10" woofers).

I'm not saying you're a scrub, I'm just saying that there's no such thing as speakers that are too large :v:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KozmoNaut posted:

In a room roughly the same size as yours, I am using two active bookshelf speakers with 2x50W each, and two 12" subwoofers with 120W each. In my even smaller bedroom I'm using a vintage Technics amp and a set of beefy JBL 4410s (1970s 3-way speakers with 10" woofers).

I'm not saying you're a scrub, I'm just saying that there's no such thing as speakers that are too large :v:

I dunno man, I'm not saying my setup caused my water leak above it that caused an entire kitchen replacement to be underway, but i'm not not saying that either.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

88h88 posted:

If it sounds good to you then it's a great system.

Are there other systems out there that will sound better? Yes, but are you happy with what you have at the moment? If so, don't worry about it... Audiophiles are never happy, they always think something could be better so they never settle on anything and thus never enjoy what they have, they spend forever listening to perceived differences in equipment rather than actually enjoy it for what it does which is play your favourite music for you to enjoy.

Once I got my HT setup dialed in I stopped reading AVSforums. It's a dirty snakepit of regret.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Just to be the devil's advocate: have you listened to alternates? You might run into something you like very much, be it headphones, home theater or a retro stereo set.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

LmaoTheKid posted:

Once I got my HT setup dialed in I stopped reading AVSforums. It's a dirty snakepit of regret.

I only go there when looking for very specific information about something, like maybe a firmware update. Even then, I regret it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

LmaoTheKid posted:

Now that I have my setup reasonably dialed in using REW, I really have to learn not to worry whether it could be slightly better if I just bought X, Y or Z new device.
There are a couple of dips in the frequency response that I just can't get rid of, but they're very narrow and honestly pretty benign.

The only device I'm actively looking for now is a DCX2496, and only because it has more PEQ bands than my Driverack PX.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

Now that I have my setup reasonably dialed in using REW, I really have to learn not to worry whether it could be slightly better if I just bought X, Y or Z new device.
There are a couple of dips in the frequency response that I just can't get rid of, but they're very narrow and honestly pretty benign.

The only device I'm actively looking for now is a DCX2496, and only because it has more PEQ bands than my Driverack PX.

We just got your diagnosis back, you have AVS. Close your browser window and watch a movie on your already better than 95% HT setup :D

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hob_Gadling posted:

Just to be the devil's advocate: have you listened to alternates? You might run into something you like very much, be it headphones, home theater or a retro stereo set.

Not really, which is why I ask. I've had the system for years, mainly got it back in the day for my computer because it had optical in and my sound card (yes I still have a dedicated sound card gently caress you) can output to optical. Then I got a PS3, then a PS4. Still great.

Issue now is that the computer is in the same common room as my TV, but they're 90° to each other and thus the computer setup won't work for the TV. Debating how to solve that issue... may just have to bite the bullet and swap them to the TV and get headphones for the PC, but ehhh not a fan of headphones for long periods of time.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

DEQ 2496?

DCX does limiting, crossover and a super limited amount of EQ. I have both in my PA kit rack, great devices but blatantly made by two different teams of people as they behave in completely different manners in terms of use.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

KozmoNaut posted:

I have a driverack PA2 for my PA system at work, and it's a real struggle not to buy one for home. What a cool system. I love that you can control everything from an ipad, and the automatic venue setup is pretty cool.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

88h88 posted:

DEQ 2496?

DCX does limiting, crossover and a super limited amount of EQ. I have both in my PA kit rack, great devices but blatantly made by two different teams of people as they behave in completely different manners in terms of use.

Can you post some video of your PA in operation ? You use Fitzmaurice folded horn's for some of it correct ?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

DEQ 2496?

The DCX would be a straight replacement for my Driverack PX, as a crossover and parametric EQ. The PX only has 2 bands on the sub output and 3 bands on the top output, so just about anything else would be a huge improvement in flexibility.

The PA2 would be a nice option as well, that has 8 bands on the input and 8 bands on each output, as far as I can tell.

If I find an inexpensive DEQ2496, that would be fine too, but it would also reduce my Driverack to crossover duty only, in which case I would probably replace it with a simple active crossover and sell the PX. I would prefer a single-box higher-specced replacement, though.

How do you like the DEQ? Is it reasonable to work with, no odd quirks or anything? I presume the sound quality is fine?

Or I could just replace everything with a MiniDSP 2x4, which is also something I've considered, but the Windows-only setup software bugs me.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 21, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

The DCX would be a straight replacement for my Driverack PX, as a crossover and parametric EQ. The PX only has 2 bands on the sub output and 3 bands on the top output, so just about anything else would be a huge improvement in flexibility.

The PA2 would be a nice option as well, that has 8 bands on the input and 8 bands on each output, as far as I can tell.

If I find an inexpensive DEQ2496, that would be fine too, but it would also reduce my Driverack to crossover duty only, in which case I would probably replace it with a simple active crossover and sell the PX. I would prefer a single-box higher-specced replacement, though.

How do you like the DEQ? Is it reasonable to work with, no odd quirks or anything? I presume the sound quality is fine?

Or I could just replace everything with a MiniDSP 2x4, which is also something I've considered, but the Windows-only setup software bugs me.

The DCX is really memory limited in standard format to do any real amount of EQ though, it has a really rudimentary EQ adjustment so I don't think it would offer any advantage over the PX you have. And that's why I have a DEQ, it's all singing, all dancing and has as much EQ as you'd ever need, RTA and all that jazz. I've never thought it sounded anything other than fantastic, it's a great bit of kit and it's never gave me any grief despite being thrown around a lot inside a rack by people who don't care about equipment as much as I do. If it can survive being hauled around to different venues it's certainly solid enough to sit in a house.

If you can find one cheap grab it assuming it does what you need it to do. It's been a while since I've played with it as the PA hasn't been out since last summer.

jonathan posted:

Can you post some video of your PA in operation ? You use Fitzmaurice folded horn's for some of it correct ?

All the speakers are Fitzmaurice, I have 4 of his Omnitop 12 high/mids. One set has 'cheap' drivers and the other the premium ones, the premium driver offering more output in the mids than the cheapo ones (but also costing 3x as much). They get stacked up 2 a side as the tweeter design being from the top of the cab to the bottom allows them to stack nicely.

Subs I have 2 designs, a set of Titan 39s 22" wide with Eminence Lab12 drivers and a pair of Tuba 60s at 19" wide, again with the Lab 12 drivers. When they get ran together the Titans cover 100hz-60hz and the Tubas cover 60hz down to 30/35hz. The T60 design does down to 25hz but my cabs aren't wide enough that they'll output all that much of it so I just roll it off at the bottom.

Videos? There's a few, nothing that'll blow your socks off though as it's video and it never does systems any favours. All I was aiming for with the set up was clarity and I got that by the bucketload with Bill's designs, it put a lot of larger, more expensive equipment to shame in that regard. And after these videos were taken I learned that I had better placement options in that particular room which is typical, it sounded real good for being in what is an underground, brick-lined ex coal bunker...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_0dURFervw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnamQOA4b78

There's a few more on that account but nothing that actually gives much of a feel for the setup. And this photo is the last time any of it got abused last summer, speaker patina courtesy of them living in a damp garage over the previous winter. It gives you an idea of how stupidly small the rack is that runs all 8 speakers though, 7U for power distribution, RTA/EQ, crossover/limiting and 1000w of amps.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

The DCX is really memory limited in standard format to do any real amount of EQ though, it has a really rudimentary EQ adjustment so I don't think it would offer any advantage over the PX you have. And that's why I have a DEQ, it's all singing, all dancing and has as much EQ as you'd ever need, RTA and all that jazz. I've never thought it sounded anything other than fantastic, it's a great bit of kit and it's never gave me any grief despite being thrown around a lot inside a rack by people who don't care about equipment as much as I do. If it can survive being hauled around to different venues it's certainly solid enough to sit in a house.

If you can find one cheap grab it assuming it does what you need it to do. It's been a while since I've played with it as the PA hasn't been out since last summer.

It figures that the DCX is a bit rudimentary in the EQ department, since it does a whole bunch of things other than EQ, yet costs roughly the same as the DEQ.

So if I want more EQ flexibility, I guess I should get a bigger model Driverack (PA+ or 260, I guess) or some other DSP box, or a DEQ and a standalone active crossover (like a CX2310 or something).

One thing I really like about the Driverack (and presumably DSP speaker management boxes in general) is that there is no horrendous speaker-killing noise if you power it on after the amps. My previous DBX 223xs did this and I just resorted to leaving it on all the time. I assume most other active crossover units will do the same thing?

It's a possible issue, since I use a smart power strip to turn everything on/off along with my preamp and I would like to include the crossover in this. I guess I could use the crossover as the master unit in the power strip, but I like being able to turn everything on and off using the preamp remote control.

As an aside, I was actually surprised at how well my setup followed the standard REW house curve, above 1.5KHz or so it was pretty closely aligned with the target when 1/6th octave smoothing was applied. But I assume that's probably true of most nearfield studio monitor setups.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 21, 2016

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks and yeah listening to that setup over YouTube from my phone speakers obviously doesn't do it justice but its still fun to watch equipment work.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So I checked my Sony Card (yes, I have one of those) and I have enough points to get a free home audio system, so I'm thinking that might be my solution and then I'll just keep using the Z-5500s for my computer.

I have enough points for this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BI22U3O?keywords=BDVN5200W&qid=1453401709&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Which seems to have a lot of good reviews, but then I see this, which I could trade in points and then pay like $100 for:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQAFNVG?keywords=BDVN5200W&qid=1453401709&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I can't really see the difference between the two, though. At least not enough to warrant such a huge price jump... am I missing something? They're both 1000W systems, they're both 5.1, have BD, can do 3D BD, support all the same codices, etc. What am I missing?

And more importantly, are either/both of these a terrible idea? I mean, the first system I can essentially get for free, but if it's lovely or mediocre, I don't mind dropping some money to get a system that's actually good.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fuzz posted:

So I checked my Sony Card (yes, I have one of those) and I have enough points to get a free home audio system, so I'm thinking that might be my solution and then I'll just keep using the Z-5500s for my computer.

I have enough points for this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BI22U3O?keywords=BDVN5200W&qid=1453401709&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Which seems to have a lot of good reviews, but then I see this, which I could trade in points and then pay like $100 for:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQAFNVG?keywords=BDVN5200W&qid=1453401709&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I can't really see the difference between the two, though. At least not enough to warrant such a huge price jump... am I missing something? They're both 1000W systems, they're both 5.1, have BD, can do 3D BD, support all the same codices, etc. What am I missing?

And more importantly, are either/both of these a terrible idea? I mean, the first system I can essentially get for free, but if it's lovely or mediocre, I don't mind dropping some money to get a system that's actually good.

Both are mediocre and the "1000w" stamp is pure marketing. Do you require a bluray player ? If so they're cheap these days. Like $40. Meh, I just looked and sony doesn't seem to offer a home theater in a box system that isn't a receiver/bluray combo anymore. So if you need sound for the tv, I guess get the one you can get for free. It'll be much better than the tv speakers and likely on par with your logitech setup.

If you went with this:

http://www.sony.com/electronics/av-receivers-audio/str-dh550 and then found some local used speakers, you'd likely be better off.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

jonathan posted:

Both are mediocre and the "1000w" stamp is pure marketing. Do you require a bluray player ? If so they're cheap these days. Like $40. Meh, I just looked and sony doesn't seem to offer a home theater in a box system that isn't a receiver/bluray combo anymore. So if you need sound for the tv, I guess get the one you can get for free. It'll be much better than the tv speakers and likely on par with your logitech setup.

If you went with this:

http://www.sony.com/electronics/av-receivers-audio/str-dh550 and then found some local used speakers, you'd likely be better off.

I can actually get that Receiver for free, instead, and then grab a BD drive separately... no speakers in that case, though.

Not sure if anyone can see the Sony Rewards site, but I could get this:

http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/browse/catalog/Electronics/Blu-ray-Disc-DVD-Players?sku=BDPS6500&category=9949&pp=182684

And that receiver... then I'd just need the speakers. They have speakers on there, but I dunno if they'd be worth using... I currently have about 35,000 points to play around with.

EDIT: Wait, I'm an idiot. I don't even need a BD player or a Streaming thing... I have a PS4. So yeah, just need the Receiver you mentioned and some speakers!

Something like these:
http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/browse/catalog/Electronics/Home-Audio?sku=SSCS5&category=9795&pp=178748

And this:
http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/browse/catalog/Electronics/Home-Audio?sku=SAW2500&category=152&pp=180463

And this:
http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/browse/catalog/Electronics/Home-Audio?sku=SSCS8&category=9795&pp=178758

And then I could just buy a pair of smaller rear speakers that are wireless or something?

EDIT2: I should probably just buy cheaper, better quality non-Sony stuff then, huh? Anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty much sold on that receiver being a good idea to grab for free and then get my own speakers for.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 21, 2016

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

And more importantly, are either/both of these a terrible idea?

Both of them suck. For free, maybe, but consider these downsides first.

You can't connect almost any sources into those system. Here is the rear panel of Sony BDVE3100:

You get to connect one stereo source and one optical source into it. The minimum you'd want to have is one input for every source you have (Blu-Ray, consoles, HTPC, CD player).

Once that central unit dies, that's it. The system is permanently dead. You get to toss everything, speakers included, and start from scratch.

It's expensive for what it is. That first system is almost the price of a decent entry-level 5.1 system, one that has lots more connectivity, allows for upgrades, sounds better and won't become waste once the first part breaks or becomes obsolete. The second system is just terrible value.

An alternate system that gets you started with all the connectivity you might need:

Receiver:

$159.99
Denon AVR-S500BT

Or if you can get Sony stuff cheap from Amazon:

$192.81
Sony STRDH550

Speakers:

Basic pair of bookshelf speakers start from about $100. You can get a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, Polk Monitor 30 or 40, something from Yamaha, Wharfedale or maybe something used near you. One pair of good speakers is essential, as most movie sounds come from your front speakers.

Center channel is another $100 on top of it. Since speech is sent to center channel, this is also an important speaker to have.

Surround speakers are mostly for sound effects. Any old $20 pair will do. Acoustic Audio has a set of satellites for less than $30 which are OK, if you need a new pair.

Wires and banana plugs are $20 or so.

Subwoofer:

Depending on where you live this can be either really cheap or rather expensive (ask Jonathan for details!)

Polk PSW10 is a nice starter sub for $130 or so.

Total, you're in for about $400 if you don't go for a sub. Less if you spend a little time bargain hunting, as the stuff listed above is often on sale.

A large part of understanding the difference is hearing the difference with your own ears. You're not buying a computer where a processor will perform equally well for everyone. You're buying what is essentially an instrument. Your taste matters. I can't overstate the importance of listening before buying.

You should visit a real hifi shop near you and spend a little time listening to the differences. Bring a couple CDs of your favorite music with you.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My subwoofers were cheap as gently caress, given the performance. But they're made from cardboard.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I need a receiver.

Wife and I both frickin hate cranking the volume just to hear dialog. It's fine when we're in the sit-down-and-watch-a-movie-like-were-in-a-theater mode, but 90% of the time that's not what we're doing.

Her number one request (and while not number one, pretty important to me) is that it can do dynamic range compression or whatever voodoo to fix this, and do it very good.

I've had a couple of receivers over the past 20 years that claimed to do that, and various settings on various HTPCs and other media devices that claim to do this...and we're never very happy with the results.

Are there any receivers or other things that do a notably good job at that this task?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'm using Dynamic Volume on my Denon S910W right now and it's great.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Are there any receivers or other things that do a notably good job at that this task?

Do you have a center channel speaker?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hob_Gadling posted:

Do you have a center channel speaker?

Yes.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Okay, in that case check that all your sources (typically gaming consoles and HTPCs) have the correct audio settings on them. Downmixing DD or DTS into stereo causes the exact thing you're describing.

If your speakers are connected to TV, it's likely that all signal that isn't a TV program gets downmixed into stereo. Check your TV manual and use appropriate connections.

If you already have some sort of receiver, try setting the relative volume level of center channel 3-6 decibels higher than the other channels.

If you still need a receiver, practically any home theater receiver that isn't the very cheapest entry level model allows you to connect every source into it and crank the center channel levels. Pick one that has other features you like (wireless, Zone2, legacy connection, whatever). If you need suggestions, post what sources you have and what other things would be nice. Also your budget and whether you need new speakers.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

To be fair I've also noticed audio mixing getting shittier and shittier as time goes by. There was a time when any dialogue was at the front of a mix but it seems to be the cool thing to mix it quieter in order to get you to crank your volume so the loud bits are super loud. And it's crap.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'm serious, Dynamic Volume on my Denon works fantastically.

Normally I use it set to light but at night time I set it to heavy and I can turn the volume way down and still hear everything.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have a Yamaha RX-V673 and tweaked the settings so the dialogue is great. I have it tweaked probably more than most, as I can have difficulty focusing on a sound if there's background noise around. I usually leave the sound settings to normal surround decode (no fancy DSP settings like Carnegie Hall) use the Adaptive DRC settings, and there's an additional Dialogue Adjust setting I have set to +3. The receiver also lets me adjust the volume level of each speaker, so I set the center channel to + 3.0 dB (like I said, I have problems)

Even with all that though there are some seriously lovely audio mixes done on TV. The most glaring to me is some Disney Jr. stuff the kids watch (Whenever Doc Mcstuffins sings her song the center channel goes silent and the L&R have some very low fill sounds come out), and any sort of live music event, like the CMA's, the audio mix was terrible, had to change the receiver to 7ch stereo to make it watchable.

Anyway +1 for Yamaha from me.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Watching anything on TV can be hit or miss. The mix COULD be ok at the studio, but there are no real standards on broadcast volumes that are actually followed. The stream is compressed/decompressed multiple times, run through multiple video and audio filters, a bunch of fuckery to compress the volume to normalise it with the commercial levels, and every cable company has their own idea of how much they need to gently caress with the stream.

I've watched live sports where the background crowd mix was so loud and boosted that you couldn't understand the commentary. I've watched sitcoms where someone somehow introduced a mammoth amount of 20hz bass drone and likely had no idea because the mix was done on normal studio monitors or introduced downwind in the chain.

There are movies with really good mixes coming out these days too. Anything mixed by the Dolby team always sounds amazing. They seem to be doing a lot of work over at Skywalker Ranch.

http://soundworkscollection.com/videos/category/film-sound-profile

jonathan fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 22, 2016

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jonathan posted:

I've watched sitcoms where someone somehow introduced a mammoth amount of 20hz bass drone and likely had no idea because the mix was done on normal studio monitors or introduced downwind in the chain.
Maybe the audio person just decided to troll people with massive subwoofers. I remember back when most tv shows weren't doing 5.1 mixes then a car commercial would come on and it was like night and day to the program because all of the sudden there'd be actual bass. Now most TV shows just put almost everything through the center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Whats your setup now? Usually if you have a center channel that means you already have a receiver.