Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
fun elf fact: the vermintide website features sound clips of skaven specials doing their thing; in all cases, it's the elf that gets abused.

they knew what they were doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

will stab-stab

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Digirat posted:

Then her attitude is "xbox live teenager".

I swear, this has to be what they were deliberately going for. One of the exchanges I've heard after Bardin kills an Ogre with a headshot.

Bardin (excited): "Did you see that?! Right through the Ogre's eye it went! Oh, oh, What a shot!"

Elf (whiny and sulky voice): "Don't get true proud. It's not like it takes any skill to use that weapon."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

I dont know posted:

I swear, this has to be what they were deliberately going for. One of the exchanges I've heard after Bardin kills an Ogre with a headshot.

Bardin (excited): "Did you see that?! Right through the Ogre's eye it went! Oh, oh, What a shot!"

Elf (whiny and sulky voice): "Don't get true proud. It's not like it takes any skill to use that weapon."

All right, I pretty much have to get this game now. Probably pick it up early next week, I should have a couple days free coming up to mess with it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

On the bright side I recently had a game where kruber called her "bloody clueless" two separate times and the catharsis

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I became a fan of Kruber when he intervened in Saltzpyre and the elf's feud. "Let her be, sir. She revels in her mysteries. Perhaps it's to hide a lack of substance."

Unrelated, I'm starting to move toward getting good blue/orange gear for everyone now that I've got my mains decked out. What melee works nice on the elf? In particular, does the sword/dagger combination have a good charged attack?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The sword/dagger is awesome. So awesome it's really what all elf players should be using like 90% of the time. The weapon being so baller is one of the reasons I get so pissed when I see Elf perched up on a cabinet or some poo poo the next town over carefully picking off clanrats.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kruber is like every likeable part of the Empire distilled into one awesome-hatted mustachioed badass.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i play him and boy does he say some great lines

like in the library he'll scoff at all the books. "I can't even read :smug:"

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I think my favorite in the library was when Sienna remarked that the only thing she doesn't like to see burn is books. :3:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Every time I hear these characters talk I am reminded that less is more when it comes to dialogue in videogames. It might sound grandiose to say but the bar is pretty low: this is some of the best writing and/or voice acting I've heard in a game in a long time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Avenging Dentist posted:

I think my favorite in the library was when Sienna remarked that the only thing she doesn't like to see burn is books. :3:

I basically was staunchly sienna-neutral until I heard that line. She's fine and all but she is really one dimensional and that dimension isn't funny like Saltzpyre's.

Then that line came out and I was an instant fan

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Coolguye posted:

I basically was staunchly sienna-neutral until I heard that line. She's fine and all but she is really one dimensional and that dimension isn't funny like Saltzpyre's.

Then that line came out and I was an instant fan

I hear the secret under the Magnus statue is the elf says something that makes you like her.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
"My entire race is terrible"

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Elf skulls are beautiful.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mendrian posted:

The sword/dagger is awesome. So awesome it's really what all elf players should be using like 90% of the time. The weapon being so baller is one of the reasons I get so pissed when I see Elf perched up on a cabinet or some poo poo the next town over carefully picking off clanrats.

pretty much this, sword/dagger with Killing Blow is... holy moly

i promise I'm a good elf player, because gently caress sniping you just for a pack to get pushed and wade the gently caress in. You can use the exact same tactics the rats use against your party, sneak past and hit them from the side.

i've also gotten literally yelled at by pubbies lately for taking on stormvermin in melee. Why not, jesus just hit their heads and block occasionally, it's not like they're particularly maneuverable nor are regular rats an impediment :shrug:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I finally got some not garbage gear for Victor and it's hilarious how you can dance around stormies and just dunk on them

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it becomes a bit more risk/rewardy on nightmare and cataclysm, because eating a single voulge smash will drop you. so instead just shoot them! Can't attack you if they can't get to you, hearing random people on steam flip out about (particularly SOLO) stormvermin is great.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Skandranon posted:

Elf spotted!

Honestly, I love playing the elf. Hate playing with the smarmy brat

I play the elf so I don't have to experience other elf players.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Finally got an orange claymore for Victor and now I am a lawnmower. Games get so much easier when someone has a big two hander

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I finally got an orange group heal trinket. 20% of allies' missing health healed every time I used a draught or bandage. :dance:

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i have only played as the elf. every single time.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Does the beam staff primary fire avoid doing friendly fire somehow?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Tirade posted:

Does the beam staff primary fire avoid doing friendly fire somehow?

Yes, and it's awesome. Burn everything around you all the time. Same for the conflag(?) staff's alt-fire.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yes, and it's awesome. Burn everything around you all the time. Same for the conflag(?) staff's alt-fire.

The conflag staff has the downside of blinding everyone it doesn't hurt, though. God that thing is the worst.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The conflag staff has the downside of blinding everyone it doesn't hurt, though. God that thing is the worst.

Better blind than damaged. It's super useful for killing rats before they can hit your buddy since the attack speed is ludicrously fast. It's also good for culling hordes that are starting to overwhelm the group. Otherwise, just use a sword so you don't end up stuck with high heat at an inopportune time.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

A stormvermin patrol wiped my team instantly on supply and demand so I spent the next 5 minutes dancing around solo killing them and the other specials that show up and they never complained about me afterwards.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I got an orange sword and shield for Kruber with Bloodlust, harder shoves, and chance to immediately replenish block and it's amazing. It really opened up the whole character for me. I feel like a loving god as long as I'm not being immediately bursted down.

Unrelated, an argument blew up in a group about whether luck trinkets share across the whole group and, if so, whether they stack. Anyone have a definitive answer?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I got an orange sword and shield for Kruber with Bloodlust, harder shoves, and chance to immediately replenish block and it's amazing. It really opened up the whole character for me. I feel like a loving god as long as I'm not being immediately bursted down.

Unrelated, an argument blew up in a group about whether luck trinkets share across the whole group and, if so, whether they stack. Anyone have a definitive answer?

Well first you'd have to pin down what luck (really) even does.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Have had some great games with goons on mumble/the Steam group, and might hop on for some more ratkilling later today.

Luck affects only the chance of loot dice AFAIK, which are placed before the chests are opened.

To any new players who want to play as a mage or elf; remember that you have melee. I've played with pubbies on nightmare who will keep plonking away when we are covering a corner, killing their teammates in the process. I've even had lvl 70+ elves on cataclysm who will just stand on a sniper perch and get grabbed by a hookrat, dying and inevitably loving over the team.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Mendrian posted:

Well first you'd have to pin down what luck (really) even does.

All indications from browsing the Fatshark forums, reddit, and the paltry wiki (read: all resources on the whole of the Webternet for this game, excluding this thread) says that it increases the chance for a luck die to be in a chest for the trinket wearer only. :negative: Good luck getting people to let you open chests.
This is, of course, is just , but I have a 50% luck trinket (blue) and I will say that it comes up nil a lot. Basically, if you get a die in the first ~3 chests, you're basically guaranteed to find the other one soon after, but otherwise it's nothing. It also has seemed to increase the chance of a Sack Rat being on the map, even after I've collected both dice. I stand by it until proven otherwise.

Syrnn fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 23, 2016

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
FYI; the public beta is now live. Just choose to opt in through Steam.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

ElectricWizard posted:

FYI; the public beta is now live. Just choose to opt in through Steam.

You can keep your items through beta, so if a group of you wanna try and run a game then switch out you will keep the items. Just untick opt beta to revert.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/vermintest#announcements/detail/903337340512607945

quote:

We've just deployed a pre-release version of Patch 1.1.5 to a new public test branch. You can opt in by following these steps:

1. Right-click Vermintide in your Steam Library
2. Click on Properties
3. Click on Betas
4. In the drop-down menu, select the branch named "publictest"
5. Download and play!

For this test, progression from your normal account will carry over to the Public Test branch and you'll keep it once the patch goes live.
(You won't lose anything and you'll get to keep everything)

Patch Notes:
Trait Changes
- Added ability to swap traits of a weapon at the Shrine of Solace:
The new Offer option lets you spend tokens to swap the traits of a weapon. After spending tokens you will be presented with a set of new traits. You may then choose to select your current traits or the new ones.
The costs for Offer are 8 Common / 6 Rare / 5 Exotic based on the rarity of the weapon.

- Added ability to re-roll value of a trait:
The new Invocate option lets you spend tokens to improve the value of an unlocked trait. The costs for Invocate are 10 Common / 8 Rare / 6 Exotic based on the rarity of the weapon.

- Equalized trait unlocks:
Traits could previously only unlock in 0.5% increments. Meaning a trait that had a minimum value of 1% and maximum of 3% could only ever roll 1%, 1.5%, 2%, 2.5% or 3%. This made traits with high percentage differences such as 20-40% very tedious to re-roll - and not very cost efficient. Now every trait has the same amount of steps between minimum and maximum values. Doing this lets us ensure consistency in the re-roll system and keep a low cost on re-rolling. Any traits that are already unlocked will keep their current value.

Feature Changes
- Head bobbing can now be disabled (try this if you're experiencing motion sickness)
- Camera shakes can now be disabled
- Game Public/Private state can now be altered during a game in progress
- Added upward attacking and downward attacking animations to better reflect attack ranges
- Players will now be kicked for idling too long in public games: a notification will be displayed after 2 minutes, failure to react will kick the player

Optimization
- Added option to render low frequent transparency, such as smoke, gas clouds and dust, in a lower resolution. This significantly reduces the pixel overdraw and gives a great performance gain in transparency heavy scenes - This setting is enabled by default in all presets
- Slightly sped up lighting calculation
- Optimized damage, health & buff systems

Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug where SSAO was disabled when turning off skin shading
- Fixed a clipping issue with Dwarf 2h weapons
- Fixed a bug where level up rewards weren’t being properly granted
- Fixed a crash when voting for a new level
- Fixed a bug where innkeepers head would disappear towards the edges of the screen
- Fixed a bug with innkeeper twisting his head too far when looking at player at the end of the bar.
- Fixed a rare crash that could occur if unequipping a weapon while exploding from overheat
- Fixed similar timing issues that could cause push when releasing rmb and trying to swing with great swords and fencing swords.
- Improved weapon switch queuing out of parries with fencing sword
- Fixed a crash that could occur if rat ogre failed to path to players
- Fixed several bugs that were causing rat ogres to sometimes get stuck.
- Fixed an issue that could cause skaven to get stuck after climbing
- Improved Ratling gunner AI handling a situation where it can’t find a line of sight to players for a long time
- Minor bug fixes to Garden of Morr, Horn Of Magnus, Man The Ramparts, The White Rat, The Enemy Below, Smuggler’s Run & Engines of War.
- Fixed a crash that could occur whilst killing multiple Special enemies in a short amount of time
- Fixed the description for Dwarf Ranger’s “Boar” headpiece
- Fixed a number of localization errors

Globadier Changes:
- Fixed bug that was causing the globadier to observe his globe hit when not intended.
- Improved trajectory calculations for globadier throws.
- Improved AI handling a situation where globadier can’t find a throw trajectory to players for a long time.
- Improved lurking AI to make the globadier less erratic when walking around between throws.
- Fixed bug that could cause the globadier AI to get stuck not able to find a path to the players.

Apparently globadiers are ridiculous now

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Globadier's perfect accuracy from across the map wasn't bad enough?

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Re-rolling is nice, but yeah the globadiers are pretty hardcore.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
So I see it's not just me who thought globadiers were already ridiculous.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I love that globadiers were already such an obstacle despite apparently being broken as hell. :allears:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
they've subbed in the Harlem Globelobbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Fatshark posted:

Improved lurking AI to make the globadier less erratic when walking around between throws.

Why the, erm, Bretonnian Dance, globe rat?

• Locked thread