Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Basically all the Cicadas are very happy and fun with 6xML or 4xMPL for the one with only four hard points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

DancingShade posted:

Griffin 2N is seriously good and those shield arms are legit.

In fact if I could get a 2N with crab-like geometry I would never pilot a different mech ever.

i've saved MC for inevitable crab hero :D

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The thing to keep in mind with metamechs is that a large chunk of it was written before the second quirk pass and is out of date. The long range laser vomit prevalence is a symptom of that as brawl builds were not a thing for a very long time.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

teepo posted:

i've saved MC for inevitable crab hero :D

If you dont call it John F. Zoidberg imma find you, and gut you like a loving fish.

Anyone here using ER-PPCs?
Ive tried them on nearly every mech i could, but i just cant become friends with them.
I never feel like they do any notable damage, at least nothing that a solid autocannon wouldnt do with much more satisfying sound?

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
^^ PPCs are absolute garbage currently. ERPPCs are even worse, Use LPLs.

Bolow posted:

The Top Dog isn't a bad mech but there's other Thunderbolts that can more or less do the same thing but better. I guess you could run 3xLL/ERLL and 4xML with the Top Dog, but for MPL or LPL boating the 5SS and 9SE are much better

Oh absolutely. I only mentioned it as an aside in "Hero mechs that aren't awful" because it isn't awful. If you want to spend cash the 9SE(S) is better. But whatever? This was specifically regarding +30%
Cbill mechs and everyone knows there are better Thunderbolts.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 22, 2016

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

If you dont call it John F. Zoidberg imma find you, and gut you like a loving fish.

Ive tried them on nearly every mech i could, but i just cant become friends with them.
I never feel like they do any notable damage, at least nothing that a solid autocannon wouldnt do with much more satisfying sound?

PPCs, ER or otherwise, are terrible. Use large pulse lasers instead.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Great Beer posted:

The thing to keep in mind with metamechs is that a large chunk of it was written before the second quirk pass and is out of date. The long range laser vomit prevalence is a symptom of that as brawl builds were not a thing for a very long time.

no, metamechs is basically fully updated at this point. he just forgot to update the date for the IS page. try hards run the tier-1 builds all the loving time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/406w0u/competitive_meta_is_and_clan_tier_lists_updated/

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Watching Teepo utterly wreck half the enemy team in his SPL nova is a thing of beauty. That is all.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

teepo posted:

no, metamechs is basically fully updated at this point. he just forgot to update the date for the IS page. try hards run the tier-1 builds all the loving time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/406w0u/competitive_meta_is_and_clan_tier_lists_updated/

Yeah but it's historically not been on point all the time and updated so it's a pretty solid thing to say "check meta mechs and then check back here." And new players should totally check that and not be afraid to post here.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

As far as Willfrey was saying: MC is best used on mechbays. Some heroes are good enough to be the type you want to routinely drop with, opinions vary. I swear by The Arrow (Blackjack) and Sparky (Griffon). Top dog (Thunderbolt) is totally solid. Jenner, Stalker, Marauder, and maybe another I've forgotten have been highly regarded but I don't own them so I'm not really sure. I certainly don't laugh at those hero mechs when I see them unlike say, Golden Boy or Heavy Metal or Pretty Baby which are basically loving awful.

How do you kit out your Sparky? I got mine on christmas sale and i don't really like it. I'm probably running it wrong in that case.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

First thing I've elited. Misery Is pretty good with 3xERLL and an AC20. I wish it had a little more omph to its alpha but keeping those 3 ER's means that I can still be effective on polar highland even though I'd rather be running pulse lasers. I get like 4-500 dmg most games which is drat good for me.

Also goddamn blackjacks are fun as poo poo. I am glad I grabbed 3 of them when they were on sale.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

teepo posted:

He finally updated? I don't read it often since I run bad gimmicks most of the time but last I checked he hadnt even updated mech speeds from to the speed tweak nerf.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Rocketpriest posted:

At least my Direwolf is still cool and good on every map, I think it's just about the only mech I have that's payed for itself. I've also racked up 60k exp on it already that I'll probably never get to spend because gently caress paying 35 million Cbills for two inferior center torsos.

I would suggest it is worth it to buy those inferior direwolves on account of elite skills and doubled basics being game changing for such a slow mech.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

How do you kit out your Sparky? I got mine on christmas sale and i don't really like it. I'm probably running it wrong in that case.

4xML in the arms, 2xLPL in the side torsos and a 295xl or so. Variations off that work well too.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

vorebane posted:

I would suggest it is worth it to buy those inferior direwolves on account of elite skills and doubled basics being game changing for such a slow mech.

as a direwolf pilot, this is 100% true.

make a dakka build, make a dual gauss 2 lpl 3 ml with the W variant, skill out and sell the 3rd. i reccomend the D, the W, and the S variants. PROTIP: always put 1 s torso in your builds, the jumpjets are a loving godsend in a dire

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Metamechs is alright for a starting point if he has a detailed guide for your mech, but overall unless you really like boring sniper mechs you're probably better off dicking around and posting in this thread instead.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Willfrey posted:

as a direwolf pilot, this is 100% true.

make a dakka build, make a dual gauss 2 lpl 3 ml with the W variant, skill out and sell the 3rd. i reccomend the D, the W, and the S variants. PROTIP: always put 1 s torso in your builds, the jumpjets are a loving godsend in a dire

Imagine, just imagine the look on the face of that sniping rear end in a top hat on the rooftop, when slow and ponderously like the sunrise the direwolf ascends until it stands before him.

He didnt even try to run. He stood there, mouth open, and took the alpha like a man.
A terrified, terrified man.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Built a Dakkahammer Black Widow. 4x AC/5. Left mouse, 2 AC. Right mouse, other 2. Middle button, gently caress you alpha.

Making it rain C-Bills up in here!

Oh and there's a Warhammer event for everyone, and an exclusive reward for Warhammer pilots (if we kill a lot of dudes we get a camo for all our hammers)

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 22, 2016

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Is there some skill that causes weapons/items to weigh less?

I'm trying to build this http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=300&l=8d167ce28e38c7ae3db6596e423f3fc6d968e940 but the weight does not work out at all. I have the right setting for DHS and stuff. What am I doing wrong?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Raged posted:

Is there some skill that causes weapons/items to weigh less?

I'm trying to build this http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=300&l=8d167ce28e38c7ae3db6596e423f3fc6d968e940 but the weight does not work out at all. I have the right setting for DHS and stuff. What am I doing wrong?

Do you have the same engine/armor/endo-steel ?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Do you have the same engine/armor/endo-steel ?

Yep, I must be screwing something up but can't figure out what.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Raged posted:

Did you strip armour off the dead arm? How short are you on tonnage?

Also, I wouldn't run an XL in a brawler Griffin, honestly.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Raged posted:

Can you post a screener of your mechlab?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I have a 4x ERPPC Warhawk I do decently in. More importantly, I've seem to have made at least one goon upset about it, so that makes it all worthwhile.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

I have a 4x ERPPC Warhawk I do decently in. More importantly, I've seem to have made at least one goon upset about it, so that makes it all worthwhile.

Hm.
What do you think of a Jaguar with 4xLurm20?

Afaik goons pretty much dislike lurms, although i never figured out why.
Most solid info was "LRM are bad" - "why exactly?" - "Just my opinion, ive never used them"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I do not like this polar map, no sir. Just blue lasers as far as the eye can see, good luck not getting shot because there's no cover.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Because they don't actually do much damage for their weight. The range on them in most circumstances isn't so great that it stops enemy mechs running up to you and smashing your face in with bigger better short range weapons.

If you're on a coordinated team that can stop the other team doing that, then you'll get better results using that coordination to flank, call targets and spike damage on weak or isolated mechs.

Plus, if one or two mechs hang back, that's less tons of armour to soak enemy fire, and makes it easier for enemies to focus fire your buddies.

It's not that they're inherently awful, it's just that whatever skill level you play at, there's normally something more productive you can do with your tons.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Hm.

Most solid info was "LRM are bad" - "why exactly?" - "Just my opinion, ive never used them"

Here are why LRMs are bad:

They do not focus their damage on any part of the mech, nor is there anything you can do to get LRMs to hit a specific part of a target.
ECM can completely negate your ability to use the weapon system.
The Target Deprivation module is a near 100% counter to LRMs.
Good use of terrain is a near 100% counter to LRMs.
By using LRMs, you are not participating in the main firefight, so that means that some of the damage your armor may have absorbed is getting focused on someone else, resulting in members of your own side dying faster.
LRMs are always useless in the end game of a close match because ranges are short and there is no one left getting locks for you.

LRMs are easy to use (poorly) and have a lot of success against bad opponents, but in any match where skill matters, they are a hard liability. Please do not use LRMs. If you want to snipe, by all means do so, because direct fire at long range can be brutally effective against even the best opponents. Just do no fall into the LRM trap.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
So a 4x20 build would be wortwhile just to piss someone off?

jk i dont like missiles much. This game is about how many autocannons you can fit on a mech.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I've decided to stop caring how goons build their mechs. Snipercats, LRM boats, etc whatever.

I also don't take my builds from websites like mechspecs or whatever, I go with what I have fun with; brawling. I decided after a ton of goons try to get after me to build my mechs their way it's just dumb to care about. People get upset over something as dumb as my Splatlas having two MLs while theirs has two extra tons of ammo or whatnot. I mean, I like winning as much as the next guy but I've noticed that winning only really happens when I play with a select group of goons where we just gel, otherwise it's just dumb to get upset over shooting robutts.

That's my two cents at 8 in the morning while not having slept in a couple of days.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

LRM tubes are heavy, and the missiles do less damage per ton than any other weapon system except for the AC/20.

E: I mean it's still pretty fun to use them when you're about 200-500m from the action and can bring other stuff into play. Just don't make them your whole focus.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 22, 2016

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
On a whim, I swapped out the AC20 on my ghostdad for an LBX10 and upgrading to MPLs, and enjoy it much more. The weapon doesn't explode nearly as often, and it's a great finisher on mechs who've lost their armor after a volley or two of aSRM6s, especially with the crit bonuses. With the tier 5 CD module for the SRMs, their CDs are also much closer. Just wanted to share in case anyone else was tired of the AC20 and wanted to tryout something else.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Hm.

there's a "here's why lurms are bad" section on page 1

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I wish they'd increase the LBX damage by 30%, which would actually make them viable alternatives to ACs.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
So what's particularly awful about the Mad Dog?

I'd have figured the one with 6 SRM6's would be a popular pick, at least after switching the arms.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I wish they'd increase the LBX damage by 30%, which would actually make them viable alternatives to ACs.

It does double damage to internals and has a good crit chance. Given the numerous IS brawler mechs with increased structure quirks, the LBX just seems to take them down quicker, while also having a solid chance of stripping weapons and causing ammo explosions. I wouldn't mind more damage, but I also don't mind it as is since it works for the way I like to play robots.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
new event starting soon:

http://mwomercs.com/tournaments?t=201601mechs

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Der Waffle Mous posted:

So what's particularly awful about the Mad Dog?

I'd have figured the one with 6 SRM6's would be a popular pick, at least after switching the arms.

It's outclassed by the other clan heavies, mainly. Bottom of the weight class is always a lovely place to be. Also it's hitboxes and potential loadouts aren't as good as the Stormcrow, which is lighter and cheaper, so you might as well have one of those.

There'll be so many lurms for this.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Welp, more free warhorns, time to pubcrawl the LRM King Crab and wreck some pubbies for 15 kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
A weekend of non-stop polar highlands sounds very painful.

• Locked thread