Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ehud posted:

I mean, it's not nearly as funny as the guy who set out to walk across the country with a baby stroller carrying his supplies and only made it like 40 miles, but I was amused nonetheless.

TBF it would be hard to even come close to being as great as that thread (and its accompanying FYAD thread). That kid was the stuff of legends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Tony Phillips posted:

Has anything that guy's been involved with ever passed and then not been almost immediately struck down?

Moved to MN 4.5 years ago - didn't even know he was still a thing.

Edit - easy enough to check, I guess.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Eyman

Counting I-1366 this is the sixth time it's happened. You'd think he'd either get better at writing initiatives, or at least no be surprised.

quote:

Eyman said despite the decision, if lawmakers don't put the amendment up to voters this fall, he'll try again. He said voters have supported moves to require a two-thirds majority six times in the last 22 years.

"We'll just do a seventh initiative to make it tougher to raise taxes and that one is going to pass," said Eyman. "We'll stay on this merry-go-round for another 22 years."

http://www.king5.com/story/news/politics/2016/01/21/initiative-1366-ruled-unconstitutional-tim-eyman/79122468/

It looks like the gist of it is that he's trying to pass an amendment that would cut the state sales tax unless the legislature approved a constitutional amendment requiring a two-thirds vote to pass any tax increases in the future. Because we all know the best way to pass something you claim all the people love is to shake your fist and go "OR ELSE!", it definitely makes your claim seem legitimate.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Ehud posted:

Yeah it gets pretty funny when you get past the first post and other things are revealed in subsequent replies.

you lied to me, finding out some idiot dub is banging a twitter dude was not worth reading all that garbage

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dex posted:

you lied to me, finding out some idiot dub is banging a twitter dude was not worth reading all that garbage

:tipshat:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Scruff McGruff posted:

http://www.king5.com/story/news/politics/2016/01/21/initiative-1366-ruled-unconstitutional-tim-eyman/79122468/

It looks like the gist of it is that he's trying to pass an amendment that would cut the state sales tax unless the legislature approved a constitutional amendment requiring a two-thirds vote to pass any tax increases in the future. Because we all know the best way to pass something you claim all the people love is to shake your fist and go "OR ELSE!", it definitely makes your claim seem legitimate.

drat, good to see that Tim Eyman is still at it after all these years.

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/these-weed-dealers-got-so-high-and-paranoid-they-ended-up-calling-the-cops-on-themselves--bJeM0BK6ng

Two guys bringing weed into Idaho get paranoid while driving and phone the cops on themselves.

The 911 call is fantastic https://youtu.be/ZOmRi927TPI?t=30s

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Stoatbringer posted:

Pandas really don't care if they go extinct, do they?

Pandas can't get their numbers up because they evolved to be bad at making babies so they wouldn't overpopulate and starve in those halcyon days before they were endangered.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

That is amazing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Isn't part of the panda problem also that bamboo is basically all they'll eat, and it doesn't give them enough nutrition? And they need to consume so much just to get through the day that there's not enough bamboo to sustain a population? Or am I misremembering or conflating something?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nah, my wife and I watched a documentary on pandas this week and that's pretty much it. If they could actually breed worth poo poo they would quickly run out of food.

They are an evolutionary joke that God hasn't stopped telling yet.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Nah, it's the perfect example of evolution succeeding. The pandas that produced lots of babies would have quickly been unable to take care of their brood, and all died. Leaving the only survivors to old age the ones who didn't breed as often, BUT who still bred every now and again (or else the species would fully die off). These mothers that had a single baby, every now and again. would be the only ones with the privilege to survive the arduous ordeal of raising a successor in a habitat with limited resources, both internally and externally. So, they survived and, became the population.

It's just that it's not really effective anywhere else but their exact habitat, and frankly it would have been way more advantageous for them if they'd evolved to eat something OTHER than bamboo.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

The names and job descriptions are always the best parts of these.

"Here's Fred Kaczynski, the Email Bomber!"

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Ehud posted:

I mean, it's not nearly as funny as the guy who set out to walk across the country with a baby stroller carrying his supplies and only made it like 40 miles, but I was amused nonetheless.

lol it was like 26 miles over 4 or 5 days and the baby stroller broke on mile 6

waah my baby stroller broke and now no one's asking me about my trip I'm just another hiker to everybody

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpacePig posted:

Isn't part of the panda problem also that bamboo is basically all they'll eat, and it doesn't give them enough nutrition? And they need to consume so much just to get through the day that there's not enough bamboo to sustain a population? Or am I misremembering or conflating something?

Pandas eat up to 27 pounds of bamboo per day, as their digestive systems are poo poo at digesting bamboo. Remember that pandas are bears, which are normally omnivorous and eat plenty of animal protein. As StrangersInTheNight said, pandas are the prime example of evolution gone horribly right: pandas evolved to eat the plentiful bamboo where they lived when other animals couldn't, but their bodies haven't fully changed to become capable of breaking down cellulose. So they can only digest 17 percent of the cellulose they eat, requiring them to eat tons of it just to survive.

It's considered one of the best examples of how evolution is hardly "perfect enough" to be used as proof of an intelligent designer. It's an accidental kludge that's worked for a relatively short time but left them totally unable to survive once the really specific environment starts changing and a single resource starts depleting.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Two Feet From Bread posted:

As near as I can tell, state Rep wants to make it harder for his state to arbitrarily rase taxes, his proposal was passed by popular vote, and then then struck down in court by people who really want to arbitrarily rase taxes.

Also, Goons are suppose to hate him because he has a (R) next to his name and doesn't like CA tax code.

Your reading comprehension is the schadenfreude.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Max Damage posted:

Many probably remember this scumbag cop from last year.

Sentencing just in. 263 years
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/21/oklahoma-city-police-officer-daniel-hotlzclaw-sentenced

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.

Max Damage posted:

Many probably remember this scumbag cop from last year.

Sentencing just in. 263 years
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/21/oklahoma-city-police-officer-daniel-hotlzclaw-sentenced

Consecutive sentences. Delicious.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Nah, it's the perfect example of evolution succeeding. The pandas that produced lots of babies would have quickly been unable to take care of their brood, and all died. Leaving the only survivors to old age the ones who didn't breed as often, BUT who still bred every now and again (or else the species would fully die off). These mothers that had a single baby, every now and again. would be the only ones with the privilege to survive the arduous ordeal of raising a successor in a habitat with limited resources, both internally and externally. So, they survived and, became the population.

It's just that it's not really effective anywhere else but their exact habitat, and frankly it would have been way more advantageous for them if they'd evolved to eat something OTHER than bamboo.

So kind of like third world countries vs first world countries. In third world countries they can't stop having kids and subsequently can't provide for them. While in first world countries, the people that prosper are the ones that limit the amount of kids they make.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/MattHendy26/status/690406573521424384
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf9CLuf0_cE

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Holy poo poo, a white cop forcing underprivileged black girls to gently caress him? gently caress 263 years, this guy isn't gonna last 263 seconds

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Not to get all D&D in here but he deserves a safe prison sentence and unfortunately that means he's probably going to spend the rest of his life in Administrative Segregation which is what they call solitary confinement when you haven't broken a prison rule.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

buttcoinbrony posted:

Not to get all D&D in here but he deserves a safe prison sentence and unfortunately that means he's probably going to spend the rest of his life in Administrative Segregation which is what they call solitary confinement when you haven't broken a prison rule.

Is that better or worse for him, then? If it follows the same rules as solitary, wouldn't it slowly drive him insane?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

That's the point. Solitary does beat being shank-raped to death in the yard, but it's still gonna suck.

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

"The puck was gonna pop out to him in the high slot."

Indeed it did.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lotish posted:

Nah, my wife and I watched a documentary on pandas this week and that's pretty much it. If they could actually breed worth poo poo they would quickly run out of food.

They are an evolutionary joke that God hasn't stopped telling yet.

Aren't pandas a bunch of cunts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzoRI3hHcuI

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Dex posted:

The Schadenfreude is that Twitter guy is now known as 'Dick Situation' to hundreds of strangers who now know he has sort of genital defect after someone posted his twitter account with pictures of said schmuck, and he is completely unaware of this.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rondette posted:

The Schadenfreude is that Twitter guy is now known as 'Dick Situation' to hundreds of strangers who now know he has sort of genital defect after someone posted his twitter account with pictures of said schmuck, and he is completely unaware of this.

Not going to say the thread was amazing but this was pretty loving great

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Of all the streets in all the small countries she had to walk down mine. She looked good - superlatively so. I looked her over. Thought of words, tried to find the right ones to describe her but couldn't. She had a 150 character body in a 140 character world. She saw me staring and reached into her bag to pull out here phone. Mine buzzed. "Do I know you?". "Yeah" I tweeted back. "I'm Dick, Dick Situation."

:lol::lol:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah definitely the best thing to have come out of that mess.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Washington DC area plus one inch of snow equals hilarity.

http://jalopnik.com/one-inch-of-snow-and-d-c-drivers-are-abandoning-cars-b-1754527347

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/dc/2016/01/21/ice-snow-disabled-vehicles-plague-dc-roads-morning-after/79105796/

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2l6nk7pMQ0

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The ones where the performance car causes the accident but gets away are intensely unsatisfying. :(

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

This is the book.

I know the twitter account is a fake, but the book is real, and I can't imagine the real guy would be happy about it.

Ragequit has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Jan 22, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ragequit posted:

This is the book.

I know the twitter account is a fake, but the book is real, and I can't imagine the real guy would be happy about it.

ahahahahahahaah

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ragequit posted:

This is the book.

"Free speech is a bastion of democracy and america EXCEPT WHEN IT OFFENDS ME IN WHICH CASE IT SHOULD BE BANNED." - Stupid right wing motherfuckers

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Aw, I was hoping it would be a Chuck Tingle novel.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Drone_Fragger posted:

"Free speech is a bastion of democracy and america EXCEPT WHEN IT OFFENDS ME IN WHICH CASE IT SHOULD BE BANNED." - Stupid right wing motherfuckers
? Did you read the spoiler, because this seems like an odd response if you did.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Drone_Fragger posted:

lol if you think that only right wingers say that.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Thus proving that a cockblock, no matter how or when, is always a bad thing,

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This makes me unreasonably happy. I dunno that it fits into "schadefreude" though, it's pretty damned pleasant. It's very :unsmith: