Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The big freaky guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PBS Newshour posted:

The big freaky guy?

I was hoping it would be a remake of Baby

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

PBS Newshour posted:

The big freaky guy?

No, the big loving gun.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is the animated film really as scary as I remember it being?

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

"From the human beans that created ET"

4chan memes on movie posters always show how hip and with it the marketing team is

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

KinkyJohn posted:

4chan memes on movie posters always show how hip and with it the marketing team is

It's a reference to the book.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's a reference to the book.

Ya...lol

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Mister Chief posted:

Is the animated film really as scary as I remember it being?

what are we considering scary? when Sophie watches as a boy they just delivered a dream to get skewered by the Fleshlumpeater is definitely scary and unsettling but I don't remember much else

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

KinkyJohn posted:

ummmm

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Ville Valo posted:

Aren't they out of ways? We've already had a "Fast #" ... unless "Five" is different from "8" because it's spelled out.

FASTurb8

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
will the new bfg keep the part with the soda that gives you jetlifting farts

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Big loving Giant?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kurtofan posted:

Big loving Giant?

"Friendly". Did they not have books where you were growing up?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Honestly Matilda and Charlie got all the attention and I didn't hear about BFG until a few years ago.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BFG is a gun in Doom. That's the only known usage of BFG I'm familiar with.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Aaron Eckhart has the worst loving agent.

"Prepare for bloody hell" did get a chuckle out of me though.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Why haven't all the posters for this movie looked like this?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jedit posted:

"Friendly". Did they not have books where you were growing up?
Not everyone is an Anglophone.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

joedevola posted:

Aaron Eckhart has the worst loving agent.

"Prepare for bloody hell" did get a chuckle out of me though.

Aaron Eckhart and Adrian Brody should really do a JCVD-style film together where they play themselves trying to get good parts. Or play each other.

I'm constantly depressed with Adrian Brody's career.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not everyone is an Anglophone.

Sure, but on these forums where everyone predominantly types in English, I'd say that it's a reasonable assumption that they are.

And considering how widely circulated and that it's been translated into numerous languages, it's more like a bunch of idiots are trying to show off how ignorant they are.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a completely miserable film.

Harlock posted:

How long before they run out of ways to style the title

Really disappointed it's not just called The 8.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
No one gives a poo poo that the British nerd who wrote that Gene Wilder movie also wrote some dumbass giant book.

Suck it, frenchie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah I've only barely heard of that book, it's weird to act like not knowing about it is some kind of cultural faux pas.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Vagabundo posted:

Sure, but on these forums where everyone predominantly types in English, I'd say that it's a reasonable assumption that they are.

And considering how widely circulated and that it's been translated into numerous languages, it's more like a bunch of idiots are trying to show off how ignorant they are.

you shouldn't be rude to your fellow human beans, heh here i go using classic 4chan memes what wacky thing will i do next

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
[American child finishes watching a Winnie the Pooh cartoon]

"Mother dearest, I simply must read A.A. Milne's literary classic The Red House Mystery."

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Roald Dahl's books were cool but the man was a bit of a oval office and an occasional Hitler apologist.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Dillbag posted:

Roald Dahl's books were cool but the man was a bit of a oval office and an occasional Hitler apologist.

This episode of the Dead Author's Podcast features Ben Schwartz as Roald Dahl. Dahl is apparently one of his favourite authors and when he's made aware of Dahl's anti-semitism near the end his reaction is tragic and hilarious.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vagabundo posted:

I guess it depends on which forum/thread you're looking at, but there are actually quite a lot of ESL people here. I mean, if you pick a random person they're probably going to have English as their first language, but if someone is unaware of some important English cultural touchstone it's not exactly unreasonable to assume that they have a different cultural background.

Vagabundo posted:

A translated version would have a translated name too, meaning BFG wouldn't be nearly as easily connected to the name of the book as it is for an native English speaker where the acronym makes sense, if the person was even aware of the original book. (I've never heard of it before now.)

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Plenty of native English speakers have never heard of that book either, the guy's just being dumb.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Oscar Nominees: The Movie

(featuring the white guy from GI Joe who's only notable for playing a sex slave in a seth rogen comedy)

Someone has clearly not seen 21 Jumpstreet or Magic Mike.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Anglophone and Anglophile are words with very different meanings.

Also, without checking Wikipedia or whatever, can anyone name a story Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote that wasn't about Sherlock Holmes?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

Also, without checking Wikipedia or whatever, can anyone name a story Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote that wasn't about Sherlock Holmes?

Best I could do was "didn't he have one about dinosaurs or tarzan or something", which I then checked, and yes!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skwirl posted:

Yep, its even one that was adapted to film. "Lot 249", in the Tales From The Darkside movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Skwirl posted:

The Horror of the Heights :cmon:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Skwirl posted:

The Lost World is pretty drat famous.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Skwirl posted:

The Lost World: Jurassic Park 2

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's mandatory that british children be raised on Roald Dahl stories but it's genuinely not hard to imagine this may not be the case around the world!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

feedmyleg posted:

I'm constantly depressed with Adrian Brody's career.

Cuba Gooding Jr Syndrome

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

has Adrien Brody gone full retard acting? CBJ had Radio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋