Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Any recommendations for a wrist rest for a full-sized mechanical keyboard? Mostly concerned with longevity, I've had ones in the past that the top fabric starts peeling up in a matter of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Mid_Ben posted:

Hey Goons,

I'm looking for an air purifier for my apartment, something that will help pull a lot of the dust out of the air. My last one died and I'd like to shoot for something in the 100-150 USD range.

I've had this Winix purifier for 4 years now and it's great. The main HEPA filter is reusable and washable (rinse under water) and I think it comes with extra pre-filters that are disposable. It's completely silent at the lowest setting. The air quality sensor is a lot more sensitive than you'd think.

If I'm cooking one room over, the sensor picks that up and ramps up the fan. My couch is about 10 feet away from the unit, and if I fart, the sensor picks that up within a minute or so and increases the fan speed.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

That Amazon link is for the 5300 which doesn't have a washable HEPA filter according to Winix's website. The 5500 is the one with the washable filter.

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

a thousand puns and not one of them worth saying
I'm looking to get a refillable pocket lighter; everyone I know says to go with Zippo, but 1. there are shitloads of fakes around and 2. I was wondering if there might be a better brand. I'll probably use this indoors and outdoors. Under 25$ would be great but I'll spend up to 50$ if it's going to last forever. Any thoughts?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I just got this it's dope as gently caress

SHINYSIBLINGS Electrical Arc Lighter USB Rechargeable Windproof Flameless Lighter(Black Dragon) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X7OHP86/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_eyOOwbDXH3JGW

MOTHER loving TESLA COILS Y'ALL

:frogsiren::goatdrugs::krad:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

xlevus posted:

I'm 99.9% sure this is asking for waterproof water, but is there anything out there for people who sleep in noisy places but have tinnitus?

I currently live near a nocturnal construction yard. I can wear earplugs and not hear the noise, but instead I'm subjected to the overbearing hum of bad choices at concerts.

And a white noise generator just annoys the wife.

I use these earbuds

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K...earphones+se215

which block out sound like nobody's business. With those on, I can turn on either some music, white noise, or something boring on netflix and I'm out like a light.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

TheAbominableSnow posted:

I'm looking to get a refillable pocket lighter; everyone I know says to go with Zippo, but 1. there are shitloads of fakes around and 2. I was wondering if there might be a better brand. I'll probably use this indoors and outdoors. Under 25$ would be great but I'll spend up to 50$ if it's going to last forever. Any thoughts?

Get a zippo from a official dealer and get a butane insert for it. Can't remember the good brand, but it was like $20 on amazon. They get rid of all the flaws of a zippo but still give you the same tactile pleasure.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Argyle posted:

Any recommendations for a wrist rest for a full-sized mechanical keyboard? Mostly concerned with longevity, I've had ones in the past that the top fabric starts peeling up in a matter of months.

I bet someone in the Keyboard Megathread will have some ideas.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3189022

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

a thousand puns and not one of them worth saying

bongwizzard posted:

Get a zippo from a official dealer and get a butane insert for it. Can't remember the good brand, but it was like $20 on amazon. They get rid of all the flaws of a zippo but still give you the same tactile pleasure.

Thanks! That sounds right up my alley, I'll give it a shot and report back later if I remember.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

dantheman650 posted:

I'm looking for a good electric razor. I am lazy and hate shaving with a real blade, and I have quite thick hair. I get razor burn on my neck easily. Sub $100 is good, washable with water is good. I don't care about charge time as I can use it while plugged in. Reading Amazon reviews makes it seem like the Norelco 2100 is a good bet and that spending more doesn't really get you a better razor a lot of the time.

This got buried last page. Any recommendations?

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

dantheman650 posted:

Remington F5-5800 ?
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-electric-razor/#budget

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

dantheman650 posted:

I really like Panasonic's ARC series for electric razors. They keep constant speed until the battery runs out.

Newegg tends to have them on sale from time to time.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

I don't know if there's any Panasonic rechargables that let you shave while they are plugged in, so that could be a problem if you are forgetful. The battery life on mine has been really good, though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

dantheman650 posted:

The high end norelcos are pretty good. Just depends what all features you need but check out the top 2 of their line

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

dantheman650 posted:

I've read that as a general rule, foil shavers (Braun Series #whatever) are going to give you better shaves than rotary shavers (Philips Norelco) and neither are going to give you as good or close a shave as an actual razor. But having said that, I have a Norelco with the Nivia for Men lotion dispenser and I love it. It's real easy to use it in the shower, though I don't know if Norelco still makes the lotion shavers.

It's gotten impossible to find the lotion refill cartridges for my shaver outside Amazon, I know that much, and it's been that way for at least four or five years.

EDIT: When I did this research, which was years ago, Braun Series 5 or 7 was the top recommendation for electric shavers. I don't know how much this has changed, but it might give you a good starting point.

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Jan 25, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Do they make wireless doorbells? Our "front door" is a gate leading to a hallway that leads to our door, so we have no idea when people come to our front door unless they call. This is an issue when we have deliveries. I don't want to have a wired one because it's all brick and concrete through that hall and I can't drill it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

C-Euro posted:

Do they make wireless doorbells?

Yes. They're really, really common.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

C-Euro posted:

Do they make wireless doorbells? Our "front door" is a gate leading to a hallway that leads to our door, so we have no idea when people come to our front door unless they call. This is an issue when we have deliveries. I don't want to have a wired one because it's all brick and concrete through that hall and I can't drill it.

Do not have a particular product recommendation, but yes, they do make them.

e;fb

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

C-Euro posted:

They sure do. I can't find a link to mine right now, but I'm pretty sure it's by Honeywell. Got it at Home Depot.

found it: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywel...WL330/202187568

This thing was a breeze to set up and it hasn't given me any trouble.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I prefer manual razors, but when I use my electric cause I'm lazy, I like to use this stuff beforehand.

http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Saver-Pre-shaver-Powder-Stick/dp/B002SJ4ADO

I don't know how common this stuff is, and I buy it for way cheaper at CVS, but I wouldn't want to use my electric without it anymore. I think it's basically talcum power, but it works better and isn't very messy. I also don't have super thick or rough facial hair so I don't know if it works as well that.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey guys,

My eastern European heritage means that I've had to deal with a poo poo load of facial hair since sixth grade. I'm too lazy for close shaves, so I typically just trim it. My old trimmer (Braun 8985) is leaving the hair a bit long, and it's not very uniform, so I'd appreciate some recommendations.

Thanks.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

theHUNGERian posted:

My eastern European heritage means that I've had to deal with a poo poo load of facial hair since sixth grade. I'm too lazy for close shaves, so I typically just trim it. My old trimmer (Braun 8985) is leaving the hair a bit long, and it's not very uniform, so I'd appreciate some recommendations.

Before getting a new razor, at the very least try thoroughly cleaning your existing razor, and the next step would be replacing the foil and/or blades. This should save you a decent bit over getting a new razor while providing a like-new experience if you replace both bits.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

baquerd posted:

Before getting a new razor, at the very least try thoroughly cleaning your existing razor, and the next step would be replacing the foil and/or blades. This should save you a decent bit over getting a new razor while providing a like-new experience if you replace both bits.

But I am not using the actual razor part, just the trimmer part, so there is no foil. Just that hedge trimmer contraption which I clean before and after use.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Sweethome doesn't have any recommendations for dehumidifiers, please give me yours, my apartment is gross and damp.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey guys,

Thanks.

I like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Andis-T-Outliner-Trimmer-T-Blade-04710/dp/B000143C0K

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thanks.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Can anybody recommend a good epilator? The one I bought for $30 on amazon isn't cutting it anymore.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Wanamingo posted:

Can anybody recommend a good epilator? The one I bought for $30 on amazon isn't cutting it anymore.

My wife gets me to get her the latest from the Braun EpilSilk range every few years.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Virtually all socks you find in the menswear department of a store are for "sizes 6-12". I'm a 13, and that size works okay (barely). But once I ran across some socks that were a bigger size (probably 11-14 or something), and they were great! But they gradually wore out and I've never seen them for sale again, so I'm back to the slightly-too-small ones. I've even asked at shoe stores and nobody seems to have anything above the usual 6-12.

I've been poking around on Amazon to find more, but they seem strangely hard to find, at least for a reasonable price. I don't want super-socks with smartwool and silver threads and extra sole cushioning and sculpted panels for twenty bucks a pair. I just want a regular bag of regular freakin' socks like you'd get at Target, but a little bigger than the only size they carry. Anyone know of a good place to get them?

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Amazon has Gold To socks in large sizes - $15 for a six pack.
http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Toe-Cotton-Athletic-6-Pack/dp/B0002TW2IM

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I like what Amazon is implying with this.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I like what Amazon is implying with this.
Everyone appreciated groomed pubic hair.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Horse Clocks posted:

My wife gets me to get her the latest from the Braun EpilSilk range every few years.

Same

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I drink a lot of water at work but most of it comes from the tap and I don't have access to a purifier. It's perfectly healthy aside from maybe a bit too much chlorine.

I'm looking for some no-sugar additive I can put in a 32 oz. Nalgene to make it more bareable. I tried this Crystal Lite packets and they were... okay.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Inzombiac posted:

I drink a lot of water at work but most of it comes from the tap and I don't have access to a purifier. It's perfectly healthy aside from maybe a bit too much chlorine.

I'm looking for some no-sugar additive I can put in a 32 oz. Nalgene to make it more bareable. I tried this Crystal Lite packets and they were... okay.

Nuun

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That certainly is some attractive packaging. Can you speak to the flavor?
My favorite bottled water is Hint because there is just a hint (OH I GET IT) of flavor. A lot of the powders I've tried before, and this will sound strange, taste like plastic fruit and make my throat feel dry.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
For a zero-calorie, no-sugar "add to water", it's probably the best you're going to get. I don't have a problem with it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Try Flavorall too. A couple drops is enough for a large glass of water, so it's pretty economical.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I like to add several dashes of angostura bitters or orange bitters. They contain alcohol but you don't use much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beethovens Fist Symphony
Oct 21, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Inzombiac posted:

My standard for flavoring my 40 oz bottle is 3 packets of True Lemon. Their lime flavor is good, too. And then sweeten it with a teeny bit of pure sucralose. And by teeny I mean teeny, I got some little measuring spoons and I use the 1/64 tsp one and it's more than sweet enough. If you buy everything in bulk like that it'll cost you like 10 cents per bottle.